Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
My phone is designed to have a battery that can't hold a charge or run basic applications smoothly after 2 years. A fancy CPU I bought last year had plastic bumpers purposely added to its side so it wouldn't fit in my cheap motherboard, otherwise it would have been 100% compatible. Facebook, Google, and your phone company don't encrypt your communications, mostly so they can mine them for data.

It had me wondering: what would tech be like under different economic systems?

Comedy: "it wouldn't exist!" - Even the far-right libertarian (and Wired Magazine founder) Kevin Kelly admits the PC and the internet are from LSD dropping hippies at UC schools, rather than capitalists. Read Markoff's "What the Dormouse Said".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t96m2ynKw0

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
the posts would seem more casual

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Aren't Soviet-era home computer equivalents notorious pieces of poo poo?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
really, who thinks Carson City when they think of Nevada? The capital is clearly Vegas

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The OS is fully modular already and you don't upgrade in distinct OS versions. The upgrades are transparent to the user.
File system optimization and caching techniques that we had figured out back in 99 are actually in use improving OS speed and responsiveness and as such SSD adoption is slightly lower.
Spergs have been appointed higher positions due to their dedication and ability and it is not uncommon navigate software through vast, unpleasant menu trees.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 18, 2016

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
It looks like Linux.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it would probably be real wet and slippery like the inside of a lady

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Vice did a documentary about the Cuban internet u should watch it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

gary oldmans diary posted:

The OS is fully modular already and you don't upgrade in distinct OS versions. The upgrades are transparent to the user.
File system optimization and caching techniques that we had figured out back in 99 are actually in use improving OS speed and responsiveness and as such SSD adoption is slightly lower.
Spergs have been appointed higher positions due to their dedication and ability and it is not uncommon navigate software through vast, unpleasant menu trees.

also your computer is a mainframe

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gary oldmans diary posted:

You're describing Linux. Right down to the UI, although they like console commands more than menu trees. Your computer doesn't even need to restart for updates.

Without capitalism it would look the same probably. There would still be advertisements, there would still be data mining, but the people doing it and the reasons for doing it would be different.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I wouldn't have had to pay :10bux: to post on an internet forum because it would've been provided by the glorious state

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

goatse but no ring

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
3D shock sites take off sooner than the hardware technology so the mysterious websites launch a huge troll campaign that puts a holodeck in every home so they can log in to tubgirl.3dcom. The difference is that the arc is in 3d and the perspective is 360° degrees around. Not long after goatse.3dcx is first visited that the idea of an internet of smells is conceived. Ten years later and everybody's house will smell like large intestine and a gold ring.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the only os available is bsd

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

every keyboard has a taco key

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
everyone would get to see your mom masturbate, freedom from the oppression of the gold room session~

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

new phone who dis posted:

Aren't Soviet-era home computer equivalents notorious pieces of poo poo?

Communism and capitalism are the same thing.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gamer With Dignity posted:

Communism and capitalism are the same thing.

Mods?!?

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only actual difference is that with communism you have everyone working for the same entity, and even that isn't always true.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
I'm glad you asked. For the last seven years I have been living in a glorious Communist enclave I established in my basement and we (Snugglepuss and I) have been hard at work creating a non-exploitative, workingman's computer & internet. While the prototype is in its early stages, I can reveal the following design elements and considerations:

1. There is a keyboard button for anime.
2. Computer powered by hand-crank, or if you have a DOCUMENTED DISABILITY like me, Snugglepuss or equivalent can be trained to do it for you.
3. Mom is not allowed to write "what did I do to deserve a daughter like this?" or "my horrible daughter has locked the door to the basement again" on the internet.
4. Amazon still exists. Free shipping from Asia on all products deemed "kawaii" by the Postal Committee. "Party Size" bags of French Onion potato chips renamed something less inherently upsetting.
5. There is a second keyboard button for anime, as a failsafe. Or you can press both at the same time for twice as much anime.

We can only reach a future if we can envision it. I hope these design principles inspire you to greater things.

Red Salute,
mm

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Computers would be for work, not recreation. They'd be larger and more expensive. Rather than having personal computers, there would be remote terminals which connected to a community central computer.

It would be very boring but not having fun games and memes would be the least of our worries because we'd be too busy staving off mass starvation and government death squads.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Applewhite posted:

Computers would be for work, not recreation. They'd be larger and more expensive. Rather than having personal computers, there would be remote terminals which connected to a community central computer.

It would be very boring but not having fun games and memes would be the least of our worries because we'd be too busy staving off mass starvation and government death squads.

This guy gets it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fansy posted:

My phone is designed to have a battery that can't hold a charge or run basic applications smoothly after 2 years. A fancy CPU I bought last year had plastic bumpers purposely added to its side so it wouldn't fit in my cheap motherboard, otherwise it would have been 100% compatible. Facebook, Google, and your phone company don't encrypt your communications, mostly so they can mine them for data.

It had me wondering: what would tech be like under different economic systems?

Comedy: "it wouldn't exist!" - Even the far-right libertarian (and Wired Magazine founder) Kevin Kelly admits the PC and the internet are from LSD dropping hippies at UC schools, rather than capitalists. Read Markoff's "What the Dormouse Said".

judging by the soviet progress in computation 1960-1990, they wouldn't look at all, OP

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
All tech would be utter poo poo without capitalism.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
there isnt a good example of communism yet
leaders who believe in communism and have the drive to overcome strong resistance to communism also tend to be bad at governance themselves
we might have had some smaller successful communist countries but for being communist they have to suffer sanctions and embargos

whatever the result its blamed on the theory of communism

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Hello this is BonzaiComrade, today i help you search web and report you to supreme leader for looking at lewd potato pictures

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
The internet would be difficult and lovely. Only for ultranerds who know how to spend hours with the config files and the telnet

IOW it wouldn't be ruined by noobs and grandmas yet

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
No Lowtax, only comrade Lowpotato

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Liberals Who Dont Even Understand Their Own Ideology Discuss Another

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
*taps gavel* i would like to bring this session of LWDEUTOIDA to order

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

apple poo poo is getting weird

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

apple poo poo is getting weird

Still a better interface than iTunes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they wouldn't look like anything. the Soviet Union was so far behind on computer technology it was laughable, which is ironic because it might have solved their major problems with central planning

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 18, 2016

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
Lead-acid batteries for your phone and Moore's Law would never have been dreamed up.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but capitalism owns.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
An anarcho-primitivist computer already exists. It's called the planet Earth. It's running a massive simulation to see how retarded human beings can become.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
[Cousin Balki voice] Computer programs YOU. Very nice!

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Tomato Burger posted:

Lead-acid batteries for your phone and Moore's Law would never have been dreamed up.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but capitalism owns.

Sorry to burst your poo poo BUBBLE Comrade Failson, but you would never be able to gently caress your computer and jizz in it under Vom-unism (:barf:). ONLY CAPITALISM would develop a solution for Rational Thinkers with USB-shaped dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

misty mountaintop posted:

Sorry to burst your poo poo BUBBLE Comrade Failson, but you would never be able to gently caress your computer and jizz in it under Vom-unism (:barf:). ONLY CAPITALISM would develop a solution for Rational Thinkers with USB-shaped dicks.

This but unironically

• Locked thread