Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sientara
May 27, 2012

I think Jade said it triggered shortly after putting Annette in the Psi Chamber. Did you Psi test her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I kinda wish we had a character named Erich Rhoemer that whenever he attacked the klezmer music would start playing.

wh...what?

What is this apropos of? And why klezmer music?!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the better question, sir

is why NOT

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

vdate posted:

wh...what?

What is this apropos of? And why klezmer music?!

watch the siphon filter LP, it is worth it just for how batshit it gets after the first game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
First off: I am offended at myself for having missed that this was a thing for this long. I need to start paying attention to the runs I don't have tagged once in a while to see if there's a game I like in there.

Second: I missed you guys.

I must admit, while I know there are no promises about anything after this run finishes, I'm curious how Jade would rate the various perk choices in the revamped classes from the LW Perk Pack.

Also, can't wait to see you deal with more "Unforeseen difficulties". I remember finding a hilarious way to cheese Subject Alpha both times he showed up for me.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Thefluffy posted:

watch the siphon filter LP, it is worth it just for how batshit it gets after the first game.

A shame we don't have Gabe "Taser" Logan on our squad. Or that Rhoemer isn't in the character pool just so that he can show up as a a Dark VIP for Gabe to knock out/kill with the skulljack, since we don't get a tazer in this one i suppose that would be the closest equivalent.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I made it when XCOM 2 was released during SF, but the only hand I have in this LP is really just the Operation name list. It's fine not being there imo because Guava is not aware of SF or its assorted in jokes. I would want to make the voice packs for it but I'm not inclined to download the 50+gb mod tools :v:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 15, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Well, obviously you have someone else do it for you, and then send the new mod Jade Star's way so that Guava can bask in the confusion that is the in-jokes that was your LP.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

As far as post-campaign LP content goes, I'd like to see some multiplayer matches. I'd love to participate even!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Lunethex posted:

I made it when XCOM 2 was released during SF, but the only hand I have in this LP is really just the Operation name list. It's fine not being there imo because Guava is not aware of SF or its assorted in jokes. I would want to make the voice packs for it but I'm not inclined to download the 50+gb mod tools :v:

These are amazing thank you. I just finished watching the SF lp and it was amazingly done.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Had a wonderful :xcom: moment last night:

I started a new playthrough of the game thanks in part to this LP, I just got to the second month and got a mission to destroy a relay. I sneak my way to the relay room without activating any pods, and blow it up with two of my units. A flare for an incoming pod appears, and I think to myself "Okay I'll just take out this drop-in group and then go around to clean up the rest of the pods. Easy mission."

Instead what happens is after the pod drops in, every other pod on the map shows up in the same turn. I'm pretty sure it totaled something like three sectoids, three stun troops, two commanders, and two or three regular troops.And I'm just four guys, all with starting gear, and all of them only level 1 or two tops. One of them might even have been a rookie still. And I was flanked on literally all sides. Even with the frost grenade to pause a few guys and regular grenades to try and clear as many guys up in one turn as I could, my team got slaughtered.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ousire posted:

Had a wonderful :xcom: moment last night:

I started a new playthrough of the game thanks in part to this LP, I just got to the second month and got a mission to destroy a relay. I sneak my way to the relay room without activating any pods, and blow it up with two of my units. A flare for an incoming pod appears, and I think to myself "Okay I'll just take out this drop-in group and then go around to clean up the rest of the pods. Easy mission."

Instead what happens is after the pod drops in, every other pod on the map shows up in the same turn. I'm pretty sure it totaled something like three sectoids, three stun troops, two commanders, and two or three regular troops.And I'm just four guys, all with starting gear, and all of them only level 1 or two tops. One of them might even have been a rookie still. And I was flanked on literally all sides. Even with the frost grenade to pause a few guys and regular grenades to try and clear as many guys up in one turn as I could, my team got slaughtered.

I don't remember if it was this thread or the general XCOM thread, but it was discussed why this is a bad idea. Basically the game's AI is programmed to initially set up the pods along the Line of Play, which is a line running from your deployment point to the objective, and then the pods patrol along and around this line. Now, the Line of Play updates as you get closer to the objective, and the pods follow suit. So once you get to the objective without triggering any pods, the pods are all clustered around the objective, maintaining their preferred minimum spacing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I had one of the "recurring problems" roll up on me inside a downed UFO and I nearly poo poo my pants.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yesterday I learned that the Unexpected Troubles™ can show up on plot missions - Subject Alpha showed up during the ADVENT Forge for me, which I was NOT pleased about.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yesterday I learned that the Unexpected Troubles™ can show up on plot missions - Subject Alpha showed up during the ADVENT Forge for me, which I was NOT pleased about.

On the bright side at least that isn't a timed mission.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Best part, he was inside the building. So I go inside, and he's just all "Sup." and I just think "WHAT NO. WHY ARE YOU HERE. WHY ARE YOU INSIDE. WHY."

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Elth posted:

As far as post-campaign LP content goes, I'd like to see some multiplayer matches. I'd love to participate even!

Is the ""The One + 140pts left Sectoid" build still the best for xcom 2?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

No guns. All vipers. Final destination.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Halser posted:

Is the ""The One + 140pts left Sectoid" build still the best for xcom 2?

There aren't as many customization options anymore, so you can't make The One. XCOM2 MP was pretty bad, and I haven't touched it since the Codex nerfs I mentioned in the video. I got the MP achievement with a Sectopod very mean gunshooting car and 2 Codexes and then gave up on it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Honestly my entire strategy in an MP match would be get one of the other person's guys killed then move the Sectopod over it and use the thing where it raises and lowers over and over :q:

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

XCOM2 MP meta is sectopods all the way down.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

AirborneNinja posted:

XCOM2 MP meta is sectopods all the way down.

I know. gently caress you and your sectopods. At least I almost won one of those matches once it was down to my last soldier vs the sectopod.

As an aside, 6 sectopods vs 6 sectopods is surprisingly boring.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Secret Rage

Today's mission is another council mission, kidnapping a Dark VIP. These spooky people are of important to ADVENT for some reason and stealing them will net XCom a lot of supplies and Intel. Alternatively you can just kill them and get the hell out of Dodge if you want to. These missions can be easier or harder depending on the layout of things. In this particular mission the building the VIP was in and the lay out of the buildings entrance and exit points was not particularly kind to me. In these situations every turn can count, even the boring turns where all you do is advance. Advancing at a half move and over watching is the safe play, but sometimes the safe play takes too long and you need to be dashing to cover the ground to get tot he VIP or evac point. It can be a real balancing act of speed vs risk, but some things can help make the choices a lot safer. This would have been a good mission for scanning protocol or the scanning beacons. Knowing whats ahead of you in the next turn or two can be a huge benefit in times like this.

The Snake King returned! I'm sure anyone that hasn't playing saw it coming anyway with our incredibly unsubtle hinting at it over the last three videos but yeah, they can just pop up and add to a mission. This can happen at some really unfortunate times like while you're busy already with a pod of other aliens or on missions where you have a strict time limit. Where and when you run into a ruler again is random and can be fortuitous (If you catch them by themselves on a mission with out a time limit) or disastrous. For what ever reasons I had at the time I let the Snake King show off one of his most troubling abilities, his ice spit. It's just like the frost bomb and can freeze your soldiers for 2 turns. Letting him hit multiple people with it can be ruinous. Thankfully rulers do not heal between encounters so the damage dealt to them in one fight is not recovered before the next fight. Meaning while not ideal, if a ruler is wrecking your team it is possible to kill them by a kind of attrition; battling the ruler until you risk lives, evacing and living to fight it again another time. Obviously this means the potential for failing missions, but at least it means they aren't a permanent roadblock that you'll be slamming into again and again.

As we also made unsubtle hints that there are three rulers, which was pretty obvious by the three tanks and holo displays back at Vahlen's creepy fun time snake summer camp cave. There will be no lead in to the next one appearing either. One day I will be out on a mission minding my own business and then something huge and unexpected is going to show up and ruin my day. This is unavoidable, aside from never investigating the happy fun time snake cave in the first place. So this DLC can be a big miss to some people. The rulers are hard and have their own unique game changing mechanics to deal with, which can be kind of bullshit, and they appear at absolute random to gently caress up your day. However killing each of them lets you research and build a unique item from each of the rulers so there are some pretty sweet rewards for dealing with them. It's up to each player to really decide if they want to go through the DLC or not and I can totally understand those that dislike the Alien Hunters DLC.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Operation: Jade Star and the bad decisions.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Let's Play! › The Commander's Field Manual to Robotic Crab Syndrom

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Veloxyll posted:

Operation: Jade Star and the bad decisions.

Hey, everyone got home, everyone is fine. It's fine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"I would have used x thing here but I was afraid of needing it later and not having it, giant enemy crab syndrome :argh:" - Jade Star, all the time

"It's a good thing I didn't use x thing when I was gonna do it before because I really need it now" - Jade Star, never

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I swear, Best drat Root Beer is the Bud Light of root beers. Not Your Father's is a better alcoholic root beer (the alcohol taste is almost unnoticeable at the 5.7% ABV).

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

CJacobs posted:

"It's a good thing I didn't use x thing when I was gonna do it before because I really need it now" - Jade Star, never

Hey! I've said that about Overdrive a couple of times already.

Also update PoP2008.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Now that we're semi-openly talking about the Alien Rulers DLC, the fact we're going to get a fresh one instead of an almost-dead viper means that the giant crab is real. Playing extreemly conservatively in case you run into a ruler is a very sensible default from this point on.

I bought this game two weeks ago during the Steam Sale and just beat it on Veteran. I really could have done without that DLC on my first playthrough -- it really should come with a big warning about the difficulty modifier since if you just buy the Digital Deluxe it's downloaded and enabled by default.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Congrats on coming out of that situation with everybody alive and mostly well Jade. That's the kind of situation where most normal people that aren't playing honorary Ironman would curse their own hubris and the game's bullshit and just restart the mission and try again.

You mentioned it in the post going along with the video. But i feel that Dark VIP missions are where the uneasy balance between aggression and staying safe/actually being slow and tactical that the game is going for kind of falls apart. Especially if you get a map like you got in the video where it's fairly large combined with the forced slowness of moving around indoors means that you need a lot more good luck finishing off Pods quickly than any other mission type to ensure you get to finish the mission with everybody coming back alive. Because one extra action spent trying to kill a lovely snake or whatever is just slowly increasing the chances that you won't have enough to time to get everybody out.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Jade Star posted:

Hey! I've said that about Overdrive a couple of times already.

Also update PoP2008.

Wrong crow avatar person, I believe.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oh man, this is the kind of :xcom: bullshit I was hoping for! This is the kind of mission that really makes you feel like you're a resistance movement against an overwhelmingly larger enemy force - Jade's team was outnumbered, outgunned, got blindsided by a bonus Cartman-snake-king, and once they grabbed their target, enemy reinforcements drop in between them and the evac point. (Guava's disgust at the usefulness of Bulwark's free armour is a cherry on that particular cake.) Bonus points for bringing it down to the wire. I look forward to whatever terrible plans Tygon comes up with from the Viper King autopsy. (And why wouldn't you want to mod a soldier up with the Viper King's bullshit? Remember, mad science means never having to say you're sorry. Or at least never saying you're sorry. I forget which.)

Also, I'm putting my (no) money on Jade not getting the next video out before Christmas.

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 18, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea you could get seriel as a bonus skill. That does make it kind of a shame that a ranger didn't get it as that would allow that character with the right gear to clear out an entire map worth of enemies in one turn by themselves.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I didn't know that you brought Alien Ruler corpses back with you even in missions where you have to EVAC, so when I killed Subject Beta during the Forge, I reloaded a much earlier save and intentionally put off doing any EVAC mandatory mission until I finished off Subject Beta. I later learned that you do bring the corpses back with you, but I had already lost my first save by then.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Aerdan posted:

I swear, Best drat Root Beer is the Bud Light of root beers. Not Your Father's is a better alcoholic root beer (the alcohol taste is almost unnoticeable at the 5.7% ABV).

As someone who dislikes the taste of alcohol and typically goes for sweeter beverages, I'd disagree with Not Your Father's not having a noticeable alcohol taste.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Emissary666 posted:

I didn't know that you brought Alien Ruler corpses back with you even in missions where you have to EVAC, so when I killed Subject Beta during the Forge, I reloaded a much earlier save and intentionally put off doing any EVAC mandatory mission until I finished off Subject Beta. I later learned that you do bring the corpses back with you, but I had already lost my first save by then.

Ruler corpses are a one time only deal for obvious reasons, and the rewards you get for dealing with the rulers is unlocked via autopsy. So you have to be able to do the autopsy in order to get the reward, so the game gives a small mercy and will bring back ruler corpses from what ever mission it is that you kill them on. Otherwise you'd just be dealing with King Jerk Snake for no pay off when you finally kill him.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I think Codex brains do the same thing. Probably some kind of Quest tag.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's the same reason the game is constantly dropping codex bits on you. You can't progress in the game without one, so they made extra sure that you would always get one next time you kill a Codex if the game bugs out and erases your inventory or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

A shame it's only the first time you kill a codex that it drops the Avatar progress. Those things are annoying enough to warrant a drop every time.

• Locked thread