Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Combat isn't easy at all in Arkham Knight, not when you have to face armed enemies anyway, there's a lot of variation imo with armored enemies, enemies who gently caress with your detective view, ones that have electric batons, huge enemies, knife ninjas, etc. It's a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Okay, thanks. I get it then.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It also kinda assumes you've played the others in the combos. You'll definitely want to have a page on your phone with all the combos beside you while you play for a while.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

El Hefe posted:

Combat isn't easy at all in Arkham Knight, not when you have to face armed enemies anyway, there's a lot of variation imo with armored enemies, enemies who gently caress with your detective view, ones that have electric batons, huge enemies, knife ninjas, etc. It's a great game.
Arkham Knight starts off as if you just got done beating the previous games. It's surprising, since a lot of sequels take away all your powers and treat you as if you're a complete newbie.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

There is no tutorial or training mode or anything? And my press buttons on a boring steady rhythm while yawning Shadow of Mordor skills don't transfer?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
there's tutorials but only for gameplay mechanics that weren't in the previous arkham games iirc. they mix up the combat a lot more in arkham knight tho, there's a bunch of new enemy types that make battles a bit too chaotic for me to keep track of sometimes imo

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I was worried the game would be too easy and repetative but now it sounds like a mountain to climb for someone who haven't played the previous games. But I do it anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If in doubt , press square

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I was worried the game would be too easy and repetative but now it sounds like a mountain to climb for someone who haven't played the previous games. But I do it anyway.

It's fine and super easy and you don't need to know anything going in. I hadn't played one since Asylum and breezed through Knight.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Honestly you should play the previous games because they're good, I think Asylum is probably the best because it's so tightly designed

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Honestly you should play the previous games because they're good, I think Asylum is probably the best because it's so tightly designed

Yeah, honestly they're three of the best games in recent memory, you'd be doing yourself a favor by going through them all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Don't arkham asylum and city come back in remastered ps4 form this week? Or pretty soon at least.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ineffiable posted:

Don't arkham asylum and city come back in remastered ps4 form this week? Or pretty soon at least.

Tomorrow I think.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
IMO, the games get worse as they go on, and Knight is TERRIBLE at easing you into it... it acts as if you were playing City the day before.

So play them in order. Or just play the first one.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Skychrono posted:

IMO, the games get worse as they go on, and Knight is TERRIBLE at easing you into it... it acts as if you were playing City the day before.

So play them in order. Or just play the first one.

Maybe we should make this the new thread title for the next few weeks. Play the arkham games in order. Origins is the only one that can be skipped and it'd also the one not getting a remaster.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ugh i need to hook my ps3 back up and actually finish asylum (and then play city)

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

glam rock hamhock posted:

I was thinking more it would be like GTAV, except with 7 characters instead of 3.

Oh. My. GOD. Please. Now I'm going to be disappointed if that isn't the case. You son of a bitch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Play games in order.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to play the Blazblue CF demo without preordering on psn?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jabro posted:

Tomorrow I think.

Although they were originally supposed to come out in July and got massively delayed, which probably isn't the best sign that they're going to work now.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
just fyi the World of Final Fantasy demo is out in the NA store

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Arkham Knight spoils the biggest holy poo poo moment of the first two games within about ten seconds of booting it up, so you may want to hold off for those remasters.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

morallyobjected posted:

just fyi the World of Final Fantasy demo is out in the NA store

But not for Vita for some reason. :argh:

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Arkham Knight spoils the biggest holy poo poo moment of the first two games within about ten seconds of booting it up, so you may want to hold off for those remasters.

Is the holy poo poo moment the other Batman? I think I remember seeing some super Batman in Arkham Night trailer or something.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Is the holy poo poo moment the other Batman? I think I remember seeing some super Batman in Arkham Night trailer or something.

Hilarious, but dead wrong.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Nope. Without getting too specific, it basically shows off the consequences of what the last two games built up to, and immediately spoils how Arkham City ended. They did a REALLY good job of avoiding it in the prerelease materials, and it's a pretty major plot point for the rest of the game as well, both thematically and in terms of the rest of the story development.

All three of them are really good Batman stories, but Knight really gains all of its gravitas from you having played and gotten invested in the other two first.

Definitely worth grabbing on sale to hang on to, but between the plot and the gameplay being a natural extension of the others (like, imagine a new Metroid where you still have all of your junk from the last one and don't conveniently lose it in a plot-splosion), I'd really suggest against starting the series on the wrong end.

e: Ironically, Arkham Knight's Batgirl DLC happens before any of them, though it's basically skippable. Fun, but unnecessary.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 18, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ineffiable posted:

Soon but unless they've changed a lot from the screen shots they were showing earlier in the year they look worse than the originals.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I checked out World of Final Fantasy and I gotta say, it seems like an interesting package. For a dumb fanservice game, it sure has a lot of effort put into it. The whole plot is kinda Kingdom Heartsy but it almost feels like a parody. The combat system doesn't really scratch much of what you can ultimately do with it, but the stacking system appears to at least factor heavily into strategy, and it seems like a weird but novel approach to a monster-raising game.

Having enemy recruitment be a puzzle you solve seems like a cool concept, but I only ever triggered an enemy's imprison criteria once and it was in a battle where I didn't get more than one attempt to capture the thing, so I didn't recruit any monsters beyond the initial one.

I dunno, I might actually shell out for this one, though not likely at launch. I'd want to see maybe a few examples of some more complicated things you can do with the stacks, so far it seems like there's not TOO much reason not to just go at max stacks all the time. Presumably enemies will start having more dramatic balance-damaging abilities, but I dunno. Just something to let me know what I might be capable of in actual gameplay terms.

The spectacle of super deformed Final Fantasy characters doing ludicrous action moves works on some strange level of humor.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd want to see maybe a few examples of some more complicated things you can do with the stacks, so far it seems like there's not TOO much reason not to just go at max stacks all the time. Presumably enemies will start having more dramatic balance-damaging abilities, but I dunno.

ImpAtom said in the FF thread that being max stacked does in fact make you much easier to tip over, so it'll most likely play into things later. most likely in boss stuff, rather than trash mobs, but that's standard FF battle strategy for everything besides Tactics, where trash mobs have a better chance of wiping you than a lot of the bosses, by the end of the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Soon but unless they've changed a lot from the screen shots they were showing earlier in the year they look worse than the originals.

Mostly, the thing is that having them available on PS4 means not tracking down another console/platform to play them on.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arkham Knight surprisingly turned out to be one of the best games I ever played and I 100%ed it without it ever feeling like a chore (but don't feel you have to do this), but it's definitely geared towards players who are familiar with Asylum and City. Not even just for the story, but the controls and gadgets in these take off where the previous game left. I think it's a bit of a flaw, actually, and that there are just too many options for too few buttons.

On the other hand, you can always beat on some street-level thugs to familiarize yourself with the controls, and it's perfectly possible to 100% it without ever touching some of the more obscure combo options.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Play Arkham City, Arkham Knight is a bad game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i liked arkham city just fine, but i think i liked the pacing of arkham asylum better thanks to the smaller environment.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Just wanted to say that Battlefield 1has (so far, 3/6 stories played) one of the best singleplayer shooter campaigns I have ever experienced. Not just tolerable, not just good, but genuinely great. Battlefield. hosed up right? No-one expected that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Arkham Knight's camera makes me physically ill

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Play Arkham City, Arkham Knight is a bad game.

Yeah really just the first 2 are worth the time. I would even go so far as to say Origins is more worth the time than Knight, but Origins doesn't have a pending PS4 release.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the best thing Origins did was add the martial arts thugs and Knight took them out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I still think Asylum was the best. The crash to desktop fakeout is one of my favourite gaming moments ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, I much preferred the enclosed structure of the first game to the generic (if nice looking) open world of the sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Same, I much preferred the enclosed structure of the first game to the generic (if nice looking) open world of the sequels.

:same:

City and onwards' open world doesn't add anything to the game and mucks up the pacing with a bunch of samey travelling between mission locations (granted the travelling is fun initially, but it gets boring fast).

• Locked thread