Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Anime_Otaku posted:

My iPad is starting to run up against the planned obsolescence wall (some new stuff is incompatible but I'm on the current version of iOS) how big a difference is there between the Air 2 and the 9.7 inch Pro?

Apple Pencil compatibility, Display, CPU/GPU power (probably not something you'll really notice), compatibility with iPad Pro-specific cases/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So in Safari I occasionally have pages just replaced by a different website that's clearly shilling poo poo. It tends to happen a few moments after going to the original page, only to be have the bullshit load up and it doesn't even offer the option to go back.

This happens on a lot of pages, so I assume it's something more than just horrible ads. Searching is kinda difficult because I get a lot of hits for ad-free browser apps or "Viruses? iPads don't get viruses." which doesn't help.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Do you have an ad blocker installed? If not, try one, because that does sound an awful lot like it's just bad ads on those sites.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Soulver is a fantastic calculator app, one of the best apps I've purchased by far.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It owns. I even bought it on the Mac.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I had a bunch of .jpg files that I want to be able to annotate, is there a good app to do this with? I was hoping to use PDF Expert by Readdle for it but it can only annotate PDF files and I'm not really sure of how to merge all these .jpgs into a big PDF.

edit: And as soon as I post that, I stumble upon how to print them to a big PDF. Ignore me!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 19, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I had a bunch of .jpg files that I want to be able to annotate, is there a good app to do this with? I was hoping to use PDF Expert by Readdle for it but it can only annotate PDF files and I'm not really sure of how to merge all these .jpgs into a big PDF.

edit: And as soon as I post that, I stumble upon how to print them to a big PDF. Ignore me!

Spill, how do you combine a bunch of JPEGs into a PDF on the iPad?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

flosofl posted:

Spill, how do you combine a bunch of JPEGs into a PDF on the iPad?
I actually just did it on my PC. Didn't realise the default image viewer would let you open all the files at once then had a "Print to PDF" option.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Anime_Otaku posted:

My iPad is starting to run up against the planned obsolescence wall (some new stuff is incompatible but I'm on the current version of iOS) how big a difference is there between the Air 2 and the 9.7 inch Pro?

Indistinguishable in terms of CPU. The iPad Air 2 was/still is a beast.

I have a 12.9 Pro, and about the only difference I can see is that Safari tabs now never, ever reload. But I also only ever used 3-4 at a time (which would sometimes cause reloading on the Air 2).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobfather posted:

Indistinguishable in terms of CPU. The iPad Air 2 was/still is a beast.

I have a 12.9 Pro, and about the only difference I can see is that Safari tabs now never, ever reload. But I also only ever used 3-4 at a time (which would sometimes cause reloading on the Air 2).

I'm not sure I'd call it indistinguishable. Anand benchmarked the 9.7" Pro and it's pretty consistently 50% faster across the board. Granted, that might not really be noticeable in most real world usage, but it's definitely faster.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10286/the-97-ipad-pro-review/2

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not sure I'd call it indistinguishable. Anand benchmarked the 9.7" Pro and it's pretty consistently 50% faster across the board. Granted, that might not really be noticeable in most real world usage, but it's definitely faster.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10286/the-97-ipad-pro-review/2

Indistinguishable the same way a core-i5 from 2012 is from a core-i5 from 2016.

I'm not saying the extra processing power isn't welcome, but an iPad Pro from 2016 is not noticeably faster in daily use than an iPad Air 2 from 2014.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The only real issue is future proofing between those two for the things most people do with iPads.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the screen is way better and if you like to draw the apple pencil is amazing... also i use the smart keyboard and like it a lot

i carry mine around at work for onenote, omnifocus, omniplan, and paper

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bobfather posted:

Indistinguishable the same way a core-i5 from 2012 is from a core-i5 from 2016.

I'm not saying the extra processing power isn't welcome, but an iPad Pro from 2016 is not noticeably faster in daily use than an iPad Air 2 from 2014.

Yeah, it's not that it's not faster, it's that you wouldn't notice just moving around the home screen. You only really start to see just how fast the Pro is when you start opening multiple resource-intensive apps side-by-side while streaming Twitch PiP and it still doesn't slow down.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"

carry on then posted:

Yeah, it's not that it's not faster, it's that you wouldn't notice just moving around the home screen. You only really start to see just how fast the Pro is when you start opening multiple resource-intensive apps side-by-side while streaming Twitch PiP and it still doesn't slow down.

Agreed. This year's presidental debates really made me notice it when I'm looking at the debate PiP while mocking my friends on iMessage who somehow are still on the fence at the same time as I watch twitter explode on the sideapp. Love it.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What do we think the odds are for a mini ipad pro tomorrow

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Regular Nintendo posted:

There hasn't been a peep about iPads for tomorrow, the only rumors about them lately are for spring:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/03/trio-new-ipad-pro-models-spring-2017/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Regular Nintendo posted:

None.

I don't think we'll ever see a Pro in any other form factor for the foreseeable future.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

iPad mini wont turn on. Aside from power/home for 10 seconds and power 5 secs then power+home for 15/until logo appears, anything else I can try? Cleaned out charge port.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Did the battery discharge completely? How long have you left it connected to a wall power source?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Also, check the Magsafe port and make sure there's no crud in it. Same the with adapter. Use a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol to clean them out.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iPads have Magsafe now? drat.

Even if you meant Lightning, he already mentioned cleaning it out :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

POCKET CHOMP posted:

iPads have Magsafe now? drat.

Even if you meant Lightning, he already mentioned cleaning it out :)

God drat it. :eng99:

For some reason I thought I was still in the Mac HW thread, since someone had a power question in there.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I upgraded my iPad Air 2 to 10.1 a few days ago and now it keeps getting stuck in landscape orientation. I don't have rotation lock on and it seems to happen when I put the iPad down for a while, it doesn't seem to be app specific. Only restarting seems to fix the issue; anyone else having this problem?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I upgraded my iPad Air 2 to 10.1 a few days ago and now it keeps getting stuck in landscape orientation. I don't have rotation lock on and it seems to happen when I put the iPad down for a while, it doesn't seem to be app specific. Only restarting seems to fix the issue; anyone else having this problem?

The 7 Plus has an issue like this where it'll be in portrait lock and then just decide it does not want to be locked to an orientation.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

I also have this problem! Very, very annoying.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Weird, I saw the landscape stuff in 10 public beta 1 or 2 on a mini 4 but the next beta fixed it

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've seen it on my mini 4 a few times, but didn't have to restart to fix it. It just kinda starts working again after a while or something :iiam:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Unsure if I want to buy a Pro 9.7 for Black Friday or just wait for March. It will supposedly be a "low cost" model akin to Mini 4, but I can't see that happening without some big hit to specs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Will there be a big difference in going from the iPad 3 to an iPad Air 2? My Mom has had the 3 for years now and it's just getting so slow for her. Was thinking of getting her one for her birthday but not familiar with how much faster this would be for her.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It would be noticeably faster for sure.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Realistically it was the Air 1 that introduced "pretty ok" levels of performance where your Mom would probably be happy with it.

If you're trying to save money I would go in that direction. That being said, you can totally tell the speed difference on the later models... but only you can say if your mom would truly appreciate that. For instance, my mom would not.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If longevity is a concern I imagine the Air 2 will last a decent amount longer just cause it has 2GB RAM.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I went from a 3 to an Air1 and I find the performance to feel great, being a nice boost from the old 3. It seems like a fine MomPad to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Luceo posted:

I went from a 3 to an Air1 and I find the performance to feel great, being a nice boost from the old 3. It seems like a fine MomPad to me.

Yeah I did the same. Going to an Air 2 would be night and day.

(Though I still have my Air around and it feels so sluggish compared to my iPhone 7 and iPad Pro. It's solely on kitchen duty at this point.)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks, I'll probably go with the Air 2. Her 3 is real sluggish now and she lives off the thing. She primarily uses it to play games and use Safari. Sounds like the Air 2 will give her 3-4 years of use still which is perfect.

My concern was that we'd buy this for her and wouldn't notice any speed difference. But it sounds like it'll be much faster.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Can anybody give me a recommendation between an Air 2 vs a Mini4? Looking to get a tablet for primarily gaming, movies, browsing, and maybe light email. Bouncing between a mini 4 and air 2 given the great screen quality and better app/game availability on the iTunes store. My last tablet was the ipad 2 which I found a bit too heavy and bulky for 1 handed use and prolonged use holding it and at the time I was wanting for a slightly smaller form factor. I see that the Air 2 is a fair bit more narrow in portrait mode and quite a bit lighter than the old Ipad 2 so I'm curious if it won't have the issues i had before.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Pikey posted:

Can anybody give me a recommendation between an Air 2 vs a Mini4? Looking to get a tablet for primarily gaming, movies, browsing, and maybe light email. Bouncing between a mini 4 and air 2 given the great screen quality and better app/game availability on the iTunes store. My last tablet was the ipad 2 which I found a bit too heavy and bulky for 1 handed use and prolonged use holding it and at the time I was wanting for a slightly smaller form factor. I see that the Air 2 is a fair bit more narrow in portrait mode and quite a bit lighter than the old Ipad 2 so I'm curious if it won't have the issues i had before.

They have the same screen resolution and aspect ratio. The only real difference is the Air 2 CPU has 3 cores and the mini 4 has 2, and the GPU is better on the air 2. You probably won't ever notice. Beyond that pick whatever form factor you want.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I got rid of my mini because it didn't feel that much bigger than my phone. I like the Air 2 much more for tablet uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I got rid of my mini because it didn't feel that much bigger than my phone. I like the Air 2 much more for tablet uses.

Yeah seconding this. Had a Mini 2 and found it alright while I had my 5s. Got a 6s+ and gave the Mini back to work and got an Air2 instead. Great device and being able to run split screen and picture-in-picture video is a killer feature.

Get the Air2