Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

StarkRavingMad posted:

One lousy engineering component in the hold = CONSTANT HORDE OF MURDEROUS PIRATES

Yeah but this is an obvious annoyance that adds nothing to the game and surely Frontier will adjuHAHAHA NOPE NERF MINES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Yeah but this is an obvious annoyance that adds nothing to the game and surely Frontier will adjuHAHAHA NOPE NERF MINES!

Haha I totally forgot about the mine nerf :v:

I already reverted to submit boost boost jump out anyway, since I got myself mass locked and blown up by a few NPC pirates showing up in groups.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mailer posted:

It adds danger. After all this is not elite mostly harmless is it :smug:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If you're having fun in this game, it's an obvious sign that FDev has to nerf something

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Elite: Interdiction Leapfrog Timesink

Speaking of Patch 2.2: Nothing but RES, I've been building up an FDL with my spare cash that I haven't stuffed under my space mattress for a rainy day. Currently looking at this loadout, though admittedly I don't know if the extra multicannon is needed. If not that'd be great because fuuuuuck farming more Engineer stuff than I absolutely have to.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Do NPC pirates leave you alone if you are a higher combat rating? I've been hauling modular terminals all over and they never stop me. I do however get random police stops for some reason. Also is a cutter good for those sothis runs? I can get my 720t cutter to just short of 20ly jump range.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morter posted:

If you're having fun in this game, it's an obvious sign that FDev has to nerf something

Fun is a bug and will be hotfixed in the next patch.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Gathering some screenshots from around the web for the 2.2 ground enhancements. Looks pretty good.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nice, I might start doing planetary things then.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Do NPC pirates leave you alone if you are a higher combat rating? I've been hauling modular terminals all over and they never stop me. I do however get random police stops for some reason. Also is a cutter good for those sothis runs? I can get my 720t cutter to just short of 20ly jump range.

IIRC your chance of interruption is higher in solo mode, and the type of NPC interrupting you for engineer mats is tied to your rank (combat rank?), but the frequency is not. I've been stopped by security forces exactly once (scared the poo poo out of me and then it was a "military inspection" by a friendly NPC who didn't even scan me), I think this happens more often in systems with ongoing civil wars.

More cargo capacity means you can take the larger hauling missions that pay less $/t, which cuts down on mission board scumming a lot (you could technically stack 20 36t missions for almost 100 million profit per run but good luck getting those to show up). Cutter and Anaconda are the best poop run ships I think.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 17, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Gathering some screenshots from around the web for the 2.2 ground enhancements. Looks pretty good.

poo poo, looks like I better hold off on more surface screenshots before 2.2 hits. This looks really, really good!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Now those look like some canyons I wanna zip through :peanut:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

INTJ Mastermind posted:

When you're first starting the game, you want to trade in towards a larger ship as early as you can. Larger ships simply make more money than smaller ships. Having money makes more money and all that.

When you can, I would go to a Type 6 with a fuel scoop and get in on some Sothis runs. A single run should net you $5-10 million, enough to get an Asp Explorer. The Asp will get you 20-40 million per run, and then you upgrade to a Python, and then to an Anaconda. A good run in an Anaconda will get you $60-80 million easily. Keep hauling poop until you have enough money to build whatever fleet you want.

You can stop anywhere along the chain but realize that any other gameplay is an opportunity cost compared to hauling poop.

Edit: once you've made your A-spec murder-Conda, then it's time to start the Engineer grind.

I was starting the engineer grind in my Python and wasn't going to go for the Anaconda, but considering how much money can be made hauling poop, I think I'm just going to grind for it and then spec it up how I like. I can always rebuy the Python later. How does an Asp make $20-$40 million per run? I was making $10 million in my asp and about $20 million in my Python.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Short answer: only take missions worth >200k per ton.

Long answer:

Fly between the three stations in Sothis/CEOs and triple-refresh the board at each location. Only take missions worth more than 200k/ton. The best missions are usually the ones that offer 3.2M credits for 8t of poop. Fill an Asp with those and you will make ~40m per run. You can make >20M per run if you take the 200k/t missions.

I can usually fill up my hold in two or three rounds like this.

The anaconda version is basically the same, but because of the larger hold you can make the same amount of money with 100k/ton missions, reducing the amount of board refreshes you need. You can also keep to the 400k/ton rule and boardscum all day, but make 100M+ per run.

I've made over a billion in 2 weeks, playing for probably 45m to an hour each day. So you should be able to bang that out in a weekend if you don't do anything else!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The idea is to only pick up missions that pay 200k+ per ton. 8t missions can pay over 400k per ton, 16t missions about 200k and you can fill up the smaller ships with those, but it takes an insane amount of board flipping once your faction standing goes up to friendly and allied.

It's less amazing than it sounds because of how much time you're wasting switching instances and waiting for the mission board, and flying to up to 20 stations to deliver your missions also takes much longer than the 15-20 jumps to the bubble.

In a larger ship you have to take the missions that pay less (eg. 24t for ~3.4 million) because of the 20 mission limit. It's a tradeoff - larger hauls pay less, but you also have to visit fewer systems/stations and you can take the missions you're offered instead of flipping a board that's full of "180t for 10 million" missions. Also an Anaconda has an impressive jump range.

E: Well :argh:

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

Dante80 posted:

I agree, assuming when you say good you mean barren and boring. Frontier needs to add things to interact with on the planet surface.

Kephael fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 17, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Kephael posted:

I agree, assuming when you say good you mean barren and boring. Frontier needs to add things to interact with on the planet surface.

I actually like cruising on the surface. I hate the SRV, especially its turtle-like speed over rough terrain and am envious of the everpresent skimmers. Why can't I be in some hovercraft? Why do I have to bother with 21st century wheel based technology?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kephael posted:

While having more things to interact with is good, holy poo poo did someone kill your soul? You should visit a priest asap

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Kephael posted:

nice meltdown

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:grin:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I want to listen to the blue danube when I dock but I don't wanna give up an internal slot.

Why do they even have size 1 internals when besides the starting ships and the vulture everything has minimum size 2 slots? Why can't we have a size 2 scanner + surface scanner or scanner + docking computer? Why don't we have a general "computer" module where I can install program packages like we do SRV bays to the hangar?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah a docking computer really shouldn't take as much space as 2t of cargo. Or 4. Or 64.

My immersion!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

TorakFade posted:

I want to listen to the blue danube when I dock but I don't wanna give up an internal slot.

Why do they even have size 1 internals when besides the starting ships and the vulture everything has minimum size 2 slots? Why can't we have a size 2 scanner + surface scanner or scanner + docking computer? Why don't we have a general "computer" module where I can install program packages like we do SRV bays to the hangar?

The space mafia regulates all trade of class 1 modules.

They are also known as Frontier.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I hauled poop until I was sitting on an Anaconda, 210 million spacebux, and a Diamondback Explorer, which isn't valuable or anything but a ship I'd always wanted to gently caress around with. I am now fuckin' done with Sothis until the day comes where I can get a better FSD mod on the Anaconda; I ran out of engineer goo after only getting a fairly mediocre rank 5 range boost, which made the poop haul take a few more jumps each way than I'd like. If I get a better mod in and grind out more easy spacebux before they come up with some way to break Sothis, great, but if not, I'm still good.

I'd grind out more for a Beluga, but everything I've heard about it so far has been pretty dire, so not gonna drop a big pile of cash on a mediocre ship just to play space Love Boat.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Do NPC pirates leave you alone if you are a higher combat rating?
They turn into more dangerous pirates.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Can I take a moment to mention that mining is unbelievably easy now that collector limpets exist?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

orcane posted:

Yeah a docking computer really shouldn't take as much space as 2t of cargo. Or 4. Or 64.

My immersion!

Also, why don't they build the slot to be gimballed, i.e. have the station rotate around it. And turn the entry into a funnel instead of a cattle grid with spikes at its edges.After yet another Tradaconda getting stuck in the grid and consequently exploding, thereby smearing 400t of Space Feces on the walls of a station they should get the message. Galactic trade would increase by more than 25% through the reduction in accidents.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah that grid has almost been my doom several times this weekend, while trying to boost my Anaconda into the station. Luckily it was always just an expensive repair thanks to my shield. But still :v:

Also if I let the docking computer fly the ship in, while I'm tabbed out, occasionally it gets stuck outside the grid (never if I'm watching though) and needs manual rescue.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 18, 2016

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Can I take a moment to mention that mining is unbelievably easy now that collector limpets exist?

It's still tedious, but thank got for those so I could get the 500t of ore I needed to catch Selene Jean's eye.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mining is chill as gently caress and a nice way to pass time while watching the RLCS.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Over the weekend, I tried out mining for the first time in my Python to get some Praesonyium for the FSD upgrades. It wasn't too bad, but I feel like mining anything other than the most valuable minerals is a big time waster. Not the end of the world if I'm watching Netflix on the second screen. Also, this might be a dumb question, but are limpets supposed to self destruct when they bring a mining fragment to your ship?

Also, after completing one more poop run, I have 130M cr in the bank plus a 70M cr Python. I think I'm going to upgrade to the tradeconda for the last few days of poop glory. Maybe I'll have a giant trading ship plus that ~100M cr or so.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What do I need to not make mining annoying? The last time I tried it, NPC pirates kept showing up and hosed with me constantly, also I didn't know about limpets and I only had a 1-bin refinery.

I assume I should bring the biggest refinery I can get, a bunch of lasers (do I need more than one?), prospector limpets and cargo limpets - do I need/want more than one limpet controller per type?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

Over the weekend, I tried out mining for the first time in my Python to get some Praesonyium for the FSD upgrades. It wasn't too bad, but I feel like mining anything other than the most valuable minerals is a big time waster. Not the end of the world if I'm watching Netflix on the second screen. Also, this might be a dumb question, but are limpets supposed to self destruct when they bring a mining fragment to your ship?

Also, after completing one more poop run, I have 130M cr in the bank plus a 70M cr Python. I think I'm going to upgrade to the tradeconda for the last few days of poop glory. Maybe I'll have a giant trading ship plus that ~100M cr or so.

Unless you're doing short hops that 200m won't really be enough to outfit a conda based the basic minimums.

My conda was a 270m conda and I was still short a few A rated modules on cost alone. It was fit for light trade / light fighting, no pvp.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

orcane posted:

What do I need to not make mining annoying? The last time I tried it, NPC pirates kept showing up and hosed with me constantly, also I didn't know about limpets and I only had a 1-bin refinery.

I assume I should bring the biggest refinery I can get, a bunch of lasers (do I need more than one?), prospector limpets and cargo limpets - do I need/want more than one limpet controller per type?

Don't mine in RES sites, just drop into the ring. I think I've seen a pirate show up 1 in 100 times outside of RES sites.

Get the 10 slot refinery, 2 medium mining lasers, 1 prospector controller and as many collector controllers that you want to give up cargo internals for.

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, this might be a dumb question, but are limpets supposed to self destruct when they bring a mining fragment to your ship?

Limpets self destruct if you target something to collect. Launch your collectors with nothing targeted and they gather everything in range until their timer runs out.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can buy a poop hauling conda for 150 million if you buy it with 15% discount. It goes almost 40ly empty and about 22 with 400t of cargo, without engineer upgrades. Use that to earn the money for a "real" setup if you want to use the ship for anything else, or for a different ship.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Brown Sea thinks the Sothis nerf is real and the patch will probably drop in the next 10 days, so if you needed an excuse to become a PoopSmith, it may be your last chance! :bandwagon:

I'm going to try to get to 1.4b liquid and Rear Admiral before FDev flushes the toilet on Sothis/Ceos.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Let's speculate what the next big money maker may be.

Because there's no way I'll get around to earning all the money I need if they really nerf it :ohdear:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
What about playing the game? :monocle:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

2spooky4me posted:

What about playing the game? :monocle:

I'm sitting 12k light years from the bubble, slowly floating farther away with each day, and look back to see all those people scurrying for money. It's like some kind of parody of real life with space ships. :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
>spends 100 hours doing monotonous grinding

"Guys this game is boring. :frontear:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

Unless you're doing short hops that 200m won't really be enough to outfit a conda based the basic minimums.

My conda was a 270m conda and I was still short a few A rated modules on cost alone. It was fit for light trade / light fighting, no pvp.

My loadout and pricing was based on an A rated FSD and 5A shield, 5-C Scoop and C-rated scoop and just cargo racks, mines, and some countermeasures.

Here's a Coriolis link; that's my poopmobile. I'm thinking a ~50M cr cushion should be okay. The Poopconda is about 155M in Li Rong Mart.

I was out being a babby explorer when Robigo was big, so I figure cash in on some poop now and go back to learning how to do things like engineers and mining later. Thanks for the limpet advice; that's a big help.

All this poop hauling grind reminded me of New York City's sludge tankers that hauled sewage sludge for dumping out at sea until it became illegal for environmental reasons. I wonder if the city's contracts were as lucrative as those from Sothis. There's some hidden billionaire poop tanker captains living large in Park Avenue penthouses. :iiapa:

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 18, 2016

• Locked thread