Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

I just wish the prequels didn't look like fan films half the time. Is it too much to ask that a big budget movie at least look like a big budget movie?

Well, I have good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yaws posted:

I just wish the prequels didn't look like fan films half the time. Is it too much to ask that a big budget movie at least look like a big budget movie?

Just ugly ugly movies

Lies and chicanery.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Some communist dope: So you see, if you show the same images but with a different intervening image, this affects how people interpret the-

Me, an intellectual: Sounds like some baby school garbage to me.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Well, I have good news.

OHHHH, is Lucas going to do a Special Edition of the prequels? Get rid of all that chintzy CG? Maybe he can dub everything that comes out of Hayden Christensens mouth so he doesn't sound like he's concussed in the last two movies!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

OHHHH, is Lucas going to do a Special Edition of the prequels? Get rid of all that chintzy CG? Maybe he can dub everything that comes out of Hayden Christensens mouth so he doesn't sound like he's concussed in the last two movies!

I'm sorry you don't like the movies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Walk, talk, stop, talk again. Kershner the hack strikes again!

Auralnauts was funny ok

Speaking of which is their ESB video out yet?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nvm

Yaws fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 18, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I won't defend the prequels as perfect movies or anything, although I do think they're quite good. The sheer level of vitriol thrown at them (or in some cases, the people who like them) frankly astonishes me, however.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Star wars fans just don't like star wars fans

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I think part of it was that Mace (correctly) knew that Palpatine could pull any number of strings in the Senate to get off on any charges the Jedi put on him. So he had to die, but it would be a murder without trial, which goes against the Republic, which is allied with the Jedi, which :psyduck:

At the same time, Anakin is arguing for the right thing (the Jedi aren't murderers, he must stand democratic trial) for the wrong reasons (I need him alive to teach me how to save Padme).

I'm not sure if it's specifically said, but I had this feeling that Mace was expressly going to get Palpatine to relinquish his powers (and arrest him if need be), but his discovery that he's a Sith Lord put him on track to just murderize him instead.

Mace starts the fight by arresting palpatine, he does not advocate murder until he falls to the dark side.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

I won't defend the prequels as perfect movies or anything, although I do think they're quite good. The sheer level of vitriol thrown at them (or in some cases, the people who like them) frankly astonishes me, however.

It's analogous to a peacock displaying his feathers as a show of status. You aren't backing down?? I must display harder and become aggressive! What, you still say you like them? That's not fair, you're not playing by the rules!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Im just glad the prequels are forgotten and we are moving forward with good star wars and not baby goo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

Im just glad the prequels are forgotten and we are moving forward with good star wars and not baby goo.

Good Star Wars is eternal. There have been at least 7 good Star Wars theatrical releases

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phi230 posted:

"forgotten"

(has 4 pages of posts in this thread about the prequels)

it's incredibly telling that no one cares to talk about TFA, even when every 20 pages or so someone whines about what's being talked about and then people talk about the OT or prequels again

i'm shocked--SHOCKED--that no one said general hux was their favorite character when we were discussing characters a couple pages ago

(or rey or finn or poe for that matter either)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

"forgotten"

(has 4 pages of posts in this thread about the prequels)

Don't forget to tack on all the pages of Tezzor posts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Waffles Inc. posted:

it's incredibly telling that no one cares to talk about TFA, even when every 20 pages or so someone whines about what's being talked about and then people talk about the OT or prequels again

This happened last week, and the people in the thread at the time just went with it and decided to start naming favorite characters and talking about the cool space ships. It lasted for about 8 hours and then the thread died for a few days because there was nothing to talk about. Then prequel talk started up again. I think I decided I'd love to see a separate "no prequels talk allowed' thread now, because it would be hilarious to see it go completely silent after like a week.

Yaws posted:

The special effects and overall look of the prequels was mostly praised at the time, they are groundbreaking in that regard. They don't look like a big budget movie would look if made today, in 2016, but is that really a legitimate criticism?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
When I die, I am going to become a force ghost and hang around in movie theaters so I can watch the next 113 Star Wars movies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gonz posted:

When I die, I am going to become a force ghost and hang around in movie theaters so I can watch the next 113 Star Wars movies.

That sounds legit fun. Ghost of a movie theater, see good and bad movies, talk all you want without bothering people.

The only downside is when the theater goes out of business and you're left haunting an empty husk. :smith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MonsieurChoc posted:

That sounds legit fun. Ghost of a movie theater, see good and bad movies, talk all you want without bothering people.

The only downside is when the theater goes out of business and you're left haunting an empty husk. :smith:

Therein lies the rub. Force ghosts are not bound to specific locations like regular ol' ghosts often are.

I'm gonna hold down the ice maker switch and make a terrible, spooky mess for the employees.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

Since no one really knows whats going to happen with the rest of the trilogy, its hard to talk about anything beyond speculation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I think I decided I'd love to see a separate "no prequels talk allowed' thread now, because it would be hilarious to see it go completely silent after like a week.

We did this for TFA and people ruined the thread by forcing prequel chat into the thread anyways.

I for one love The Force Awakens, I think it's one of the best Star Wars movies, it's just not worth talking about with you dumbasses. I have nerdy Star Wars friends that can discuss Star Wars without being insufferable about it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

We did this for TFA and people ruined the thread by forcing prequel chat into the thread anyways.

I for one love The Force Awakens, I think it's one of the best Star Wars movies, it's just not worth talking about with you dumbasses. I have nerdy Star Wars friends that can discuss Star Wars without being insufferable about it.

throw out something about tfa you'd like to talk about

here i'll go first: how old is maz's bar? did han ever bring leia there? did they ever go there doing the OT era? part of me thinks maz set it up after the civil war as like a babylon 5 sorta thing? although it's odd that there's a statue of her there, especially given the imagery in the films and in reality associated with the pulling down of statues

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Han says something like its 1000 years old so

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Han says something like its 1000 years old so

"maz has run this watering hole for a thousand years..."

is he being literal?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I, like Waffles, would be perfectly happy to discuss The Force Awakens. I just don't have any ideas of my own to throw out there, what would you like to talk about?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

here i'll go first: how old is maz's bar? did han ever bring leia there? did they ever go there doing the OT era? part of me thinks maz set it up after the civil war as like a babylon 5 sorta thing? although it's odd that there's a statue of her there, especially given the imagery in the films and in reality associated with the pulling down of statues

That's where Han and Leia got married. Since Han has never been good with finances, he pimped out Chewie to Maz to cut down on the band/open bar expenses. His command for Chewie to stay in the Falcon was unnecessary, as Chewie was never going back there.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Filthy Casual posted:

That's where Han and Leia got married. Since Han has never been good with finances, he pimped out Chewie to Maz to cut down on the band/open bar expenses. His command for Chewie to stay in the Falcon was unnecessary, as Chewie was never going back there.

oh

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Waffles Inc. posted:

"maz has run this watering hole for a thousand years..."

is he being literal?

Well she herself makes references to how old she is so maybe its close.

The castle itself, we see Mandalorian flags which testify to how old the castle is at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

The Star Wars of the past 15 years (until TFA, basically) has been entirely PT based.

There's the PT themselves, there's Clone Wars, even Rebels draws heavily from it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's nothing to talk about right now WRT TFA as the story isn't really done yet. All we can really go is -- wait for the sequels. Once this story is complete I feel we can begin to discuss it as much as the PT and OT are.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The prequels are more fun to talk about than actually watch

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vintersorg posted:

There's nothing to talk about right now WRT TFA as the story isn't really done yet.

This is by design. And it's likely it won't ever be "finished" in the way you imagine (rather, a minor arc will finish and then there's SOMETHING BIG just across the horizon, ala the MCU).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

There's nothing to talk about right now WRT TFA as the story isn't really done yet. All we can really go is -- wait for the sequels. Once this story is complete I feel we can begin to discuss it as much as the PT and OT are.

I think its more the opposite, we know so much about what's going on and where things are headed that its less fun to speculate.

Like, I personally find the Knights of Ren very interesting and I'd like to discuss what their history might be and how Kylo may have come to be associated with them. But I'm pretty sure this has all been explained already in some novelization, comic, or t.v. show, so as soon as the questions are presented someone will post a pretty definitive answer that makes further discussion pointless.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Stfu about that maz statue. The only people that bring it up are people who enjoy the prequels and it's because they read way too much into things (because, with the prequels, you HAVE to read too much into them to get anything of substance).

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Well, that settles it, let's not talk about the things we see in TFA anymore

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
They've happily left the sequel trilogy mostly alone in the nu eu.

There have been some horrible books that cover the kind of early days of the first order and end of the empire, and some stuff that has dumb stories where poe dameron is smug and dashing while doing side quests set prior to tfa.

There's almost nothing touching upon the actual mysteries of the period, just stuff that answers some 'who are the first order' type questions.

Almost everything else has been set between eps 4 and 5 (almost all of the comics) or prior to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

Stfu about that maz statue. The only people that bring it up are people who enjoy the prequels and it's because they read way too much into things (because, with the prequels, you HAVE to read too much into them to get anything of substance).

Maybe it would be easier if you provided a list of topics we ARE allowed to talk about.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How does not knowing what's going to happen in a sequel make it impossible to talk about a film that has actually been released?

Are people waiting till they're all out before watching?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The problem is speculation. We cant really talk about TFA without prequel tards droning on about how Snoke is Jar Jar loving Binks or Mace Windu.

Hyperbole of course but the point is we cant talk too much about it without rampant speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Jar jar was for real a sith if you look on YouTube there's a video that outlines why.

• Locked thread