Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

There is an understanding that JJ tried to return to the true path (OT) in all forms. That the prequel trilogy was irrelevant in TFAs creation.

Serf posted:

"There is an understanding" where?

Answer the question, Tezzor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My god. Would people please stop whining about the loving prequels already!?

We ge tit, you don't like them. Now get over it! They're just loving movies! If people like them and want to talk about them, what does that do to you? Nothing! If you want to talk about TFA or the OT, NOTHING IS STOPPING YOU EXCEPT YOUR OWN BULLHEADEDNESS!!!

Goddamn, this is tezzor-level stupid.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Answer the question, Tezzor.

Uhhh the commentary where JJ says so

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Uhhh the commentary where JJ says so

Since you've apparently taken exhaustive notes on all the commentary tracks for all Star Wars movies, could you give me a timestamp on this one?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

I'm confused by this, because I remembered you also said this:

So if Snoke is irrelevant now, how would finding out more about him later on retroactively change your opinion of TFA? I thought you said that's impossible?

Is it because Disney has told you that they have all of this planned out in advance?

You seam to misunderstand what I was saying.

A prequel in general is bad. There is ONE exception in the Godfather and it does not RETROACTIVELY CHANGE godfather 1. It adds backstory that is independent to the story of godfather 1.

Whereas the prequels made 20 years after the OT are going into the OT and corrupting and changing the original work.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phi230 posted:

Yes this is what I said.

We still have 2 movies to find out bro

The Emperor was not relevant in 4 or 5 either.

Supplementary plot materials will not make this particular film more interesting, even in the future. That is the folly of the Expanded Universe. Rey's missing parents, and her identity, are not interesting in this film. Ren's backstory is also not interesting in this film.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Strawman plus clutching pearls i guess

what?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

he thinks you're being ironic

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Since you've apparently taken exhaustive notes on all the commentary tracks for all Star Wars movies, could you give me a timestamp on this one?

http://heroicuniverse.com/j-j-abrams-gives-the-star-wars-prequels-the-cold-shoulder/

http://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-interview-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

https://www.google.com/amp/dorkside...android-verizon

Theres a reason why theyre focusing on practical effects and OT nostalgia

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

You seam to misunderstand what I was saying.

A prequel in general is bad. There is ONE exception in the Godfather and it does not RETROACTIVELY CHANGE godfather 1. It adds backstory that is independent to the story of godfather 1.

Whereas the prequels made 20 years after the OT are going into the OT and corrupting and changing the original work.

Interesting to see how you misunderstand what you are saying. It's almost as if you have no other position other than "I don't like this" and will then work backwards to justify that position.

It would seem that your very thought process is all about constructing prequels, Tezzor.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Phi230 posted:

this is some biblical poo poo right here

"what do you mean this jesus dude is telling me the old testament was wrong? what the gently caress is this"

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Phi230 posted:

While I don't like the prequels, knowing their story really enhances Luke's character especially (and his decision to cast aside his lightsaber). R2 is also a lot more interesting when presented as a long-time Republic/Rebel spec ops agent.

Serf
May 5, 2011

So what you have is essentially jack and poo poo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Interesting to see how you misunderstand what you are saying. It's almost as if you have no other position other than "I don't like this" and will then work backwards to justify that position.

It would seem that your very thought process is all about constructin prequels, Tezzor.

Youre deliberately being thick just to be a dick

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No prequels have ever been good? Metal Gear Solid 3 is widely considered to have the best story in the series, and it changes a lot about the way we think about the characters and motivations from the previous games.

It's also Star Wars as gently caress.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Like half of the preceding Star Wars films, The Force Awakens is incomplete by design. Unlike half of its predecessors, no space was set aside for it to fit into.

It presents some interesting and provocative, yet ambiguous, contrasts with the older films. It is impossible to discuss them without reference to the prequels.

In Maz we see a new Yoda, one who is flattered as wise and believes in a Manichean struggle between good and evil. Both of them run grand temples and put on airs of humility. When Yoda's temple fell, he made an effort to reclaim it and slay his enemy, then went into exile, wiser. How does Maz react? We don't know, we haven't seen that part yet.

Hux, Ren, and Snoke form a trio of villainy inviting comparison to Tarkin, Vader, and Palpatine, but they are all mirror images. The normie is passionate, young, easily provoked; the black knight serves willingly out of an ethical commitment to darkness; the master is supportive and forgiving; they seek the power of a famous hermit Jedi. They indoctrinate children like a certain other Order of note; they bitterly resist a new government like some sort of Rebellion; they don't have a lot of ships; their organization is youthful and they use Triumph of the Will imagery their pep talks; they are not too proud to evacuate when they're beaten. They're more authentic successors to the Rebellion than the Resistance, who are cosplayers fighting a proxy war for The Man in an attempt to relive their glory days. What will become of them now that The Man is decapitated and the culprits of this genocide are on the run? Dunno yet.

The whole galaxy could see it this time when millions of voices cried out in terror and were silenced in an instant. Seeming nobodies turn out to be Force prodigies and hear the voices of long-dead strangers calling out to them. The same audio motif of "awakening" accompanies loyal cultists suddenly snapping out of their programming. That's probably what the title means. I think we do know that.

The hero of the new cycle is full of hatred, but her mentor is someone who understands the need to overcome it. His previous pupil, the villain, did not exorcise his rage as the Jedi of old once taught, but he did at least attempt to banish his self, and it was not in anger that he committed patricide. What happened in his training? How do these pieces hang together? Dunno yet.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

So what you have is essentially jack and poo poo.

I have 2 interviews with JJ abrams saying he is ignoring the prequels and focusing on the OT for:

Style
Themes
Set design
Effects
Plot
Characters
Costume design

Ih my god its almost as if they threw the prequels in the trash and started over, using the OT as sole inspiration

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

he thinks you're being ironic

oh. is any opinion phi doesnt agree with ironic? wasnt he also saying people were ironically defending and liking the prequels?
is that scene considered bad? even in the trailer before TFA came out i thought the 2 second part of that scene they showed with the xwings coming in was cool

Kly fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 18, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Filthy Casual posted:

While I don't like the prequels, knowing their story really enhances Luke's character especially (and his decision to cast aside his lightsaber). R2 is also a lot more interesting when presented as a long-time Republic/Rebel spec ops agent.

Wanna get into this more? I'm interested and have forgotten a poo poo ton of the prequels.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Youre deliberately being thick just to be a dick

And you have nothing of substance to say, and you're too hardheaded to re-examine your own position, so you obstinately plant your feet and scream like a child because other people are talking about things you don't like.

All those probations and bans should have given you the hint, Tezzor.

Phi230 posted:

I have 2 interviews with JJ abrams saying he is ignoring the prequels and focusing on the OT for:

Style
Themes
Set design
Effects
Plot
Characters
Costume design

Ih my god its almost as if they threw the prequels in the trash and started over, using the OT as sole inspiration

Show me the timestamp on the commentary track like you said you had. You were whining about the goalposts being moved yesterday, and you're still running with them.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I showed you JJs word

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

The discussion of TFA was at it's most interesting when we were discussing feudal revanchism vs. triumph of the millennials.

It's interesting that the film leans on the Apocalypse Now imagery so heavily during the First Order assault but it's a bit of a puzzling reference that muddies the waters on the characterization of the first order. While it tried to maintain that feel of barely controlled chaos from the Ride of the Valkyries it kind of falls apart when the Stormtroopers hit the ground.

Despite all the unique designs in the cantina scene (even though I feel it was the weakest set of alien designs in a Star Wars cantina scene there was still a decent number of imaginative/effective concepts) as far as I can remember they all effectively disappear the second the sneak attack begins.

Which is really bad for a scene that's supposed to be emphasizing the chaos and collateral damage as the First Order and Resistance start going to town on each other in a neutral location. Instead we get some air battle background while the protagonists climb out of a pile of rubble and perfunctorily ice some Stormtroopers and safely shepherd the plot along.

Which kind of sums up my problem with TFA - intriguing ideas/premises with very little follow up.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I showed you JJs word

Commentary track or gtfo

Also, using the OT as inspiration for a movie that takes place chronologically closer to the OT than the PT just... makes sense? Like it was obvious from the start they were going to go with the OT just because of the progression of time from an in-universe perspective. That isn't "forsaking" anything, that's just common sense. And even then they still dropped a fun reference to the PT despite all your wailing to the contrary.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Commentary track or gtfo

Also, using the OT as inspiration for a movie that takes place chronologically closer to the OT than the PT just... makes sense? Like it was obvious from the start they were going to go with the OT just because of the progression of time from an in-universe perspective. That isn't "forsaking" anything, that's just common sense. And even then they still dropped a fun reference to the PT despite all your wailing to the contrary.

Where was that reference.

All evidence I showed you points to an almost complete abandonment of the prequels except in the form of childrens cartoons for babies.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Kylo Ren's entire character is a mirror of PT Anakin. Off the top of my head (it's been a while since I've seen the movie), we also have Maz's mention of the Sith, Ren's reference to clone troopers, the visual reference to Coruscant of Hosnian Prime, and Ewan freakin' McGregor playing Obi-Wan in voice over. There's a lot more OT references because of the time frame and, well, it's JJ Abrams, but the idea that the PT is being ignored is wishful thinking.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

All evidence I showed you points to an almost complete abandonment of the prequels except in the form of childrens cartoons for babies.

"Maybe Supreme Leader Snoke should consider using a clone army."

It's like you haven't even watched TFA (it's pretty good).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there one point in a Q&A or whatever where JJ interpreted a question as being a slam on the PT and said he absolutely refused to go along with that?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Because of course proper Star Wars is meant for mature adults.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

"Maybe Supreme Leader Snoke should consider using a clone army."

It's like you haven't even watched TFA (it's pretty good).

Clones were mentioned in the OT too. Weak as gently caress

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Clones were mentioned in the OT too. Weak as gently caress

So... it's a reference to both the OT and the PT? Even better! It's like the movies are all connected! I'm very proud of you Tezzor. One day you'll get it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Force Awakens is the sequel to Revenge of the Sith. Understanding Kylo Ren's character requires understanding his grandfather's. What does he mean when he says "I will finish what you started?" If you only make reference to the originals, you'd think that means exterminating the Jedi, but the prequels make it clear he means bringing order and justice to the galaxy at the end of a sword - overthrowing the government and establishing an empire of his own, where people are compelled to reach an agreement about what's best for everyone.

He serves Snoke and attempts to destroy his humanity in order to attain the power to do this. Vader failed in his dying moments, he believes, because of that humanity, because of love that turned him back to the light and away from the inhuman strength of will that any successful ubermensch would require.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The prequels are the best movies to ever come out. The OT is trash. Jar Jar Binks is the best character in 2000-2010.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's an unpopular and controversial opinion, but I think that the original Star Wars trilogy is good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Literally the first line of dialogue in TFA is a prequel reference. Perhaps the sole bit of interest in the film is in how it rearranges the overt dad-nostalgic references in a post-prequel context. So we understand that Rey is being manipulated into using the dark side, Ren is the closest thing to an actual good-guy and so-on.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 18, 2016

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Supplementary plot materials will not make this particular film more interesting, even in the future. That is the folly of the Expanded Universe. Rey's missing parents, and her identity, are not interesting in this film. Ren's backstory is also not interesting in this film.

In a sense I disagree. The integrated teaser trailer actually ends up being one of the individually stronger parts of the film because it's basically one of the few times it cuts loose and uses imaginative and evocative visuals that rely heavily on editing to create ideas without breaking down and inserting an exposition dump. That image of Kylo Ren standing alongside his posse in the rain ends up being a lot more intriguing and provokes imagination and thought about his character in a way that his fairly boilerplate TFA storyline doesn't really approach. Now this is kind of a backhanded compliment i'll admit (Imagine if I suggested Wonder Woman sitting down and watching some viral videos was a high-point of BvS.) Ultimately I would say it's strength comes from contrasting with the general storytelling of TFA that does a lot of set-up and than undercuts by making the climaxes feel perfunctory and restrained/predictable. I wouldn't say it's exactly in the films favor but it's a refreshing point for the film it is in. In a strange way the "hype" really is the best thing about the movie.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Phi230 posted:

The prequels are the best movies to ever come out. The OT is trash. Jar Jar Binks is the best character in 2000-2010.

Dude I usually agree with you but you lost me here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

The Force Awakens is the sequel to Revenge of the Sith. Understanding Kylo Ren's character requires understanding his grandfather's. What does he mean when he says "I will finish what you started?" If you only make reference to the originals, you'd think that means exterminating the Jedi, but the prequels make it clear he means bringing order and justice to the galaxy at the end of a sword - overthrowing the government and establishing an empire of his own, where people are compelled to reach an agreement about what's best for everyone.

I feel like Kylo Ren hopped on the wrong bus if he just wants the space government overthrown, based on the First Order's stated goals of "blow up the Republic". I don't think Kylo Ren really knows what Grampy Annie actually wanted to do, he's just putting his own goals on top of his idea of him.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I have a question

Why does Kylo think he has the competancy/skill to train Rey? He offers seemingly for real (at the worst time) but if Rey fell to dark side wouldnt she just kill him p. quick?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Isn't that the inherent question of any sith and master?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like Kylo Ren hopped on the wrong bus if he just wants the space government overthrown, based on the First Order's stated goals of "blow up the Republic". I don't think Kylo Ren really knows what Grampy Annie actually wanted to do, he's just putting his own goals on top of his idea of him.

It may not be common knowledge that Vader redeemed himself. Kylo may have his worldview shattered by this knowledge

• Locked thread