Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

In their defense, Ultraman sucks.

Why you gotta say that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Trip Report, 12 Episodes into Gokaiger and I'm really enjoying it so far. I feel like I should have watched some of the more recent Sentai leading up to this due to all the cameo's. Despite that the show is a lot of fun and each of the crew getting fleshed out with their backstories. Only thing that bugs me at this point is surely members of the old Sentai have to keep in some kind of contact with each other so why are the old Sentai still trying to get their powers back from them? I mean surely the SPD should have sent something to the other Sentai like "Hey these guys are cool, find a way to test them without being dicks".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It kinda eventually percolates, with some teams seeking them out to help.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember a lot of the old teams reasons were basically "we don't trust you. Give our powers back."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some were more justified than others. I can't blame GingaRed for not trusting pirates when he fought pirates himself. I can see why the Goseigers would want the GoseiKnight key back, although there was no reason to immediately get aggresive. Hurricaneger...well, pirates and ninjas have never been friends, but considering Tsuruhime and Ninjaman were far nicer...

GaoRed also had good reasons to not immediately give his power, considering how the Gokaigers came across as total assholes. It took Doc and Ahim to make him realize that their bark was far worse than their bite.

I don't really remember any other Sentai that outright didn't trust the Gokaigers, but I'm probably forgetting someone.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Red Racer had easily the best episode :allears:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Red Racer had easily the best episode :allears:

Yes! I'm in the middle of watching Carranger and they nailed it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New happenings in the 4th issue of the Pink Ranger comic series! In addition to Zach and Trini taking up their mantles again, Zordon let Kimberly draft two of her French friends to round out her temporary team, and we have or second ever Female Red Power Ranger! (Well...third if you want to count A Squad Red)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does anyone know of a good way to apply a Lord Zedd type filter to your voice, whether through Audacity or otherwise? I had a thing I wanted to do for a podcast.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
With only half a dozen episodes left, Dino Super Charge is really stepping up its game.

Although I shudder at the thought of what fanfic this last bodyswap episode inspired...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's super chaste, but I do really like that they had Tyler and Shelby get together way before the season finale. The stuff with Heckyl and Snide is also surprisingly interesting.

Having not seen Kyoryuger, the footage seems like a lot of Red Ranger focus, but they're managing to mitigate it here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't remember if Kyoruger was the first in a string of sentai that made Red THE MOST IMPORTANT. Like, everyone else that isn't red might as well not exist past episode 40.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Kyoryuger at least lets Daigo build up his teammates. He's the best because he has the best team behind him. Compare to Ninninger where Takaharu is the best because...he's fired up :geno:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

jivjov posted:

Kyoryuger at least lets Daigo build up his teammates. He's the best because he has the best team behind him. Compare to Ninninger where Takaharu is the best because...he's fired up :geno:

The face of a good protagonist, portrayed by a good actor.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tae posted:

I can't remember if Kyoruger was the first in a string of sentai that made Red THE MOST IMPORTANT. Like, everyone else that isn't red might as well not exist past episode 40.

GoBusters was the last series that had Red be only slightly better when the plot demanded it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Another reason to rewatch Gobusters, you say?

Gorisaki :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sledge is back and killed the Kyoruger baddie that had the awful lip sync :neckbeard:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
C'mon, Rangers. At least try not getting mind-controlled for, like, two episodes in a row. It's embarrassing...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/794679992059727872

:negative:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just

Don't even know what to do with that design

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
That's just...
:psyduck:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Here's the combining version:

Why would you gently caress with the original design?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Twelve Elves posted:

Here's the combining version:

Why would you gently caress with the original design?

I don't understand what that is but it upsets me.

I get what they're going for. but. it's ugly as gently caress.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
It fits with the aesthetics of the new suits and what they have teased of the new zords looks nothing like the old ones. So I'm down.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It looks pretty cool to me. The original design would look like a joke in this day and age.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
The wave with MMPR Pink, blue and black has shown up at my local stores (the 6.5" figures). I guess yellow and white will finish out the set in the next wave.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It will look cool in motion. ToQger's toy was terrible too but was fine in show.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

It looks pretty cool to me. The original design would look like a joke in this day and age.

This, plus I remember 90% of the toys I grew up with not looking like what was on the screen for whatever trying-to-sell-toys show I was watching at the time.

The Megazord isn't going to look like a dude in suit made up of cardboard boxes for the same reason the Power Rangers aren't wearing spandex.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I figure that the action-figure one they tweeted would be fairly representative of the final look. It's not a combining toy or anything, heck probably doesn't have a high articulation count, so it should be fairly close

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Yeah, I think I'm going to just pass on this movie till it hits Netflix or something. I honestly hate every design that they've released so far.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's my problem with the design.

Remove any connection to the original, that's fine. They clearly do not care about evoking the nostalgia of the original series so sure.

If the light up toy is the more accurate one to the movie, which it should be since it doesn't have to combine- this doesn't look like a giant robot made up of dinosaur robots. This doesn't look like a giant robot at all.

This looks like some big beefy guy in a mesh body suit with Iron Man armor strapped to him haphazardly. It looks like some one in power armor- and if that's what they wanted, why didn't they model it after the Ranger suits themselves? It doesn't look anything like them besides being humanoid in shape.

What is the point of having it be a giant combining robot if it doesn't look anything like it? There is none. It might as well just be a giant robot without the dinosaurs at all for all they did with it.

And then you get to the crippling weak point of the entire design- it has no face. It has no face at all. Say what you will about the Michael Bay Transformers- Optimus Prime has a good head design across all of the movies, especially with the mouth plate on. It's strong, iconic, evokes the original design, has a lot of personality, but is also its own unique thing.

This is literally a generic Mook helmet that you give some no name storm trooper because you don't want the audience to emphasize with them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MMPR movie didn't give a poo poo

I don't know why they gave a poo poo about Turbo for the mecha battle.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It reminds me of Dark Samus

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I have to laugh at how dumb it looks with a skinny waist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The toy doesn't even look fun to play with.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The best Megazord design I've ever seen was from on nebezial Deviantart:

Not only does it retain the core design concept, but gives it that sleek, alien tech look that the new megazord fails at completely.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

JT Smiley posted:

The best Megazord design I've ever seen was from on nebezial Deviantart:

Not only does it retain the core design concept, but gives it that sleek, alien tech look that the new megazord fails at completely.

That Dragonzord is the poo poo for the same reason basically every Dragonzord is the poo poo- it looks like one of those weird themed Gundams from G Gundam.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The original MegaZord has such an iconic, fantastic design you can work off of.

At the very least the head design should have been kept to some degree. It's Optimus Prime with giant goddamn horns that's great.

The head design is what kills this new one to me. Why would you not give it a goddamn face? How is that a good idea

Not that it's going to matter, the thing won't be in the movie for more than 4 minutes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It looks enough like an Ultra that at least that part will make sense. :j:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh yeah, Sledge is the best Power Rangers villain in ages, kinda forgot that fact. :allears:

MotW: I haven't had this much fun since I destroyed the Kyuoruger Galaxy!

Dino Charge is so good. So very good. Seriously, Shelby creating Deathryuger's zord is the coolest thing. I really love how much agency she had the whole season, she has a goal in life and all the ranger stuff actually helps her towards it like how her lifegoals helped her ranger stuff this ep. I wouldn't be able to say the same about any ranger in Megaforce.

If anybody fell back, now's a good time to start catching up, there's two episodes left to the story and there aren't schedule breaks. I really, really hope the extra christmas special is an epilogue thing rather than made to vaguely fit at any point like the last Halloween one.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 6, 2016