Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I wish studying history was a financially responsible move, because I'd love to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I guess we were jealous of Norways way of picking Nobel Prize Laureates.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

MiddleOne posted:

Oh you poor soul :ohdear:

Hey, we can't ALL have jobs in the future!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Historians have a perfectly viable career path in being advisors for historical dramas.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

So I guess we were jealous of Norways way of picking Nobel Prize Laureates.

Du veit at ikke Norge deler ut alle nobelprisene, ikke sant?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Alhazred posted:

Vi deler faktisk bare ut én, Cardiac

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Tongue in cheek doesn't go well on the internet apparently.
Also, the passive aggressiveness of Norwegians always cracks me up.

It was more a jab at the yesterdays Nobel Prize winner in literature, Bob Dylan, which caused a literal and glorious meltdown among Swedish "culture" journalists.
In some ways it is similar to Norway giving Obama, Kissinger and Arafat the Peace Prize for interesting reasons.
This year you did it well with the Columbian President (as well as not giving it to Farc).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

It was more a jab at the yesterdays Nobel Prize winner in literature, Bob Dylan, which caused a literal and glorious meltdown among Swedish "culture" journalists.

It was a loving hilarious decision. There was a big article in DN leading up to the nomination about how American authors have grown completely disenfranchised with the literature price as they almost never get nominated. This must be the most 'be careful what you wish for' reaction ever.

Cardiac posted:

This year you did it well with the Columbian President (as well as not giving it to Farc).

I don't think the Norwegian committee ever got that the peace price is not supposed to be ironic.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

It was a loving hilarious decision. There was a big article in DN leading up to the nomination about how American authors have grown completely disenfranchised with the literature price as they almost never get nominated. This must be the most 'be careful what you wish for' reaction ever.

Best quote yesterday was from Per Svensson, who called it a Trumpification of the Nobel Prize.
Way to go in devaluing an expression.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think the Norwegian committee ever got that the peace price is not supposed to be ironic.

The best way to understand peace prize nominations is to realize that the prize is not for people/organizations who work for peace, but for highlighting conflicts that are calming down and incentivize people in power to not gently caress it up.

Edit: ZZZZzzzzzzzz

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 14, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Dylan is a fine choice but he's a pop singer and also very old and white so hmm i can see why DN kultur writers don't like it

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Prize, not price. :|

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Beeswax posted:

Turns out Norway is really keen on wars happening and so each year forces whoever has done the worst job at sustaining global killing to pay a hefty fine for their sins against the blood god

Pretty metal imo

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Angepain posted:

Turns out Norway is really keen on wars happening and so each year forces whoever has done the worst job at sustaining global killing to pay a hefty fine for their sins against the blood god

This is true.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Dylan is a fine choice but he's a pop singer and also very old and white so hmm i can see why DN kultur writers don't like it

No DN are big fans actually, it's everyone else that is against.

Beeswax posted:

Prize price prise pris

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I love Dylan so I'm good. Also, the prizes are handed out on my birthday in December so gonna have a sweetass party with only Dylan music. Noone will come. (They never did anyway).

freelancemoth
Apr 28, 2014

BigglesSWE posted:

I love Dylan so I'm good. Also, the prizes are handed out on my birthday in December so gonna have a sweetass party with only Dylan music. Noone will come. (They never did anyway).

Some people disagree

https://twitter.com/sr_ekot/status/786563164745961472?s=09

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Well aware of this. It's a real shame, especially since the overall numbers are like 800+ men and then 40ish women throughout the years.

Maybe next year I guess?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Eh, SR would disagree about anyone who isn't a transgender bilesbian black-Asian-Arabic Shintoist-Muslim.

For a fun comparison, all the chairs for the important committees (gently caress economics) are female.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can't help but notice they're all white.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

This is true.

Considering that we have a pretty big weapon industry it's at the very least not a outright lie.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Considering that we have a pretty big weapon industry it's at the very least not a outright lie.

At least we're not making cluster bombs anymore? :shrug:

e: At least I think we used to make it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ThaumPenguin posted:

At least we're not making cluster bombs anymore? :shrug:

e: At least I think we used to make it.

Who made the bombkapsel 90 btw? That thing was magical

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Who made the bombkapsel 90 btw? That thing was magical

Deutsche Aerospace AG, later merged with EADS (Airbus' military division). It wasn't ~swedish steel~ :sweden:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Honestly, the whole Dylan-meltdown by feminists would be pretty funny if it wasn't so ugly, at times. Publishing a column in metro where you go on a diatribe against men who like Bob Dylan, generally disparaging male musicians and ending it with "Learn to lick pussy, you'll have more use of that than playing guitar" is incredibly gross and offensive.

Unrelated question: What do you guys follow to stay up to date on the political climate in Sweden? I used to absorb poo poo through osmosis but since becoming an expat I feel as if I don't have my finger on the pulse of things anymore, and I'd at least try to not create a little bubble divorced from reality for myself. That's how you get real crazy opinions.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McCloud posted:

Honestly, the whole Dylan-meltdown by feminists would be pretty funny if it wasn't so ugly, at times. Publishing a column in metro where you go on a diatribe against men who like Bob Dylan, generally disparaging male musicians and ending it with "Learn to lick pussy, you'll have more use of that than playing guitar" is incredibly gross and offensive.

Unrelated question: What do you guys follow to stay up to date on the political climate in Sweden? I used to absorb poo poo through osmosis but since becoming an expat I feel as if I don't have my finger on the pulse of things anymore, and I'd at least try to not create a little bubble divorced from reality for myself. That's how you get real crazy opinions.

Did I just have a stroke?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

McCloud posted:

Flashback
Well, not any longer because it becomes repetitive.
It however provides the best insight into the mentality SD supporters and there are some posters which are actually literate.
Most is crap like GBS though

I mostly use Twitter, which gives a sort of mixed picture depending on your interests but can provide some form of overview.
Dagens Samhälle is pretty good for debate articles, since it is not as politicised.
Ledaresidorna.se for sort of an inside of the internal politics of S.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Or you know just SR. Unbiased an encompassing all from state to local politics.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
SR's more specialized programmes are just so loving good. Is there even anything even remotely close to Medierna's meta reporting anywhere? Who does interviews of Lördagsintervjuns caliber? What about Konflikt's foreign reporting? And Cecilia Uddén is a national treasure.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

TheFluff posted:

- What about Konflikt's foreign reporting? And Cecilia Uddén is a national treasure -

Word

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All hail SR

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

McCloud posted:

Publishing a column in metro where you go on a diatribe against men who like Bob Dylan, generally disparaging male musicians and ending it with "Learn to lick pussy, you'll have more use of that than playing guitar" is incredibly gross and offensive.

that was so dumb. just brain fart all over the already poo poo metro pages

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Or you know just SR. Unbiased an encompassing all from state to local politics.

"Unbiased" as in pretty red.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Name one more on average trustworthy source in the Swedish media landscape.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cardiac posted:

"Unbiased" as in pretty red.

not really, no

e: no seriously why exactly do you think SR's news reporting and general journalism is "red"? I really ain't seein' it

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 18, 2016

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Name one more on average trustworthy source in the Swedish media landscape.

Got me there. As in on average trustworthy they are all bad.
But admittedly it is hard to be biased in short news clips.

Also
http://politikfakta.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/SVT_partisympatier.pdf

54% MP ar SR.
Less than 30% total for the 2 main Swedish parties tells you something about the worldview among the journalists at SR.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:rolleye: So when do the short clips become accountable? 2 minutes and 1 second? 6 minutes and 9 seconds? Or wait, maybe it is whatever is slightly longer than the SR produce?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just tells me that living in the urban part of Sweden and having a journalist degree skews towards certain conclusions about society. Just like I'd expect someone with an engineering degree to skew towards policies based on rationalism and cultural students to skew towards those based on structuralism. I'm more concerned about outcome in this regard and SR is way better than anyone else (including SVT) due to their decentralized structure and at sometimes absurdly high regard for the un-partisan work-ethic. DN, SVD and Dagens Samhäll do okay in this regard as well (disregarding opinion pieces of course) but not as well.

Sometimes I just wish you could attend a goon-meet or two Cardiac. We agree on so much but disagree so hard on the details when it comes to certain subjects. :sigh:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:rolleye: So when do the short clips become accountable? 2 minutes and 1 second? 6 minutes and 9 seconds? Or wait, maybe it is whatever is slightly longer than the SR produce?

SR does both short-news blurs (ekot) and in-depth media reporting (too many to count) so that left me slightly perplexed as well.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

TheFluff posted:

SR's more specialized programmes are just so loving good. Is there even anything even remotely close to Medierna's meta reporting anywhere? Who does interviews of Lördagsintervjuns caliber? What about Konflikt's foreign reporting? And Cecilia Uddén is a national treasure.

Someone who is biased and unprofessional as gently caress is a national treasure? http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=5682578 . SVT and SR is utter poo poo and the sooner those two awful propaganda mouth pieces are destroyed the better. Thankfully young people don't use them so the willingness to pay for that poo poo will go down and SVT has hired Jan Helin to make the process even quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Someone who is biased and unprofessional as gently caress is a national treasure? http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=5682578 . SVT and SR is utter poo poo and the sooner those two awful propaganda mouth pieces are destroyed the better. Thankfully young people don't use them so the willingness to pay for that poo poo will go down and SVT has hired Jan Helin to make the process even quicker.

:lol: