Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I learn the most from Ron Amadeo at Arstechnica (here's his pixel review: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/google-pixel-review-bland-pricey-but-still-best-android-phone/)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Android Police and Ars Technica are good. They review stuff honestly without chortling balls constantly, like the Verge and others.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Gizmodo basically gives a review of the iPhone 7 and at the end calls the Pixel ugly and says its a don't buy.

edit: it also includes my favorite part of a tech review:

"other people saw my device and asked if it was the new iPhone. That makes me upset and rate this device lower"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Gizmodo basically gives a review of the iPhone 7 and at the end calls the Pixel ugly and says its a don't buy.

edit: it also includes my favorite part of a tech review:

"other people saw my device and asked if it was the new iPhone. That makes me upset and rate this device lower"

I love it. "Other people are only familiar with iPhones, so I'm going to complain about this device rather than make the effort to say 'no, this is the new phone from Google'"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Thermopyle posted:

Who does the best phone reviews nowadays?

Flossy Carter :getin:

Otherwise, Anandtech.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
"Is that the new iPhone?"
"Nah man this is a good phone :smuggo:"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anandtech usually has the most in depth reviews, but they also usually lag because of that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Blue Train posted:

So if you want to use sms on the pixel do you have to go and download messenger or what because lol at the way allo handles them. Or does the phone just come with three separate messaging apps
Should have messenger for SMS and allo for allo messages. So 2. Plus duo for video. So I guess you could call that 3.

Reviews look to be somewhere between 'very good but expensive' and 'expensive but very good'.
Keeping my pre-order alive.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

So I think it's time to replace my phone. I don't use it enough to justify buying a $700 pixel though. I'm leaning towards a Nexus 6p since I care about software/security updates. The other thing I care about is battery life and UI smoothness. I'd probably lean towards a 5x, size wise, but my wife has one and the battery life seems just ok. Can people who have them comment on their battery life and UI jankiness or lack thereof?

Also... any new Pixel buyers want to sell me their 6P?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Pixel looks to be about exactly what I expected. I was tempted to upgrade from my 6 month old 6P, but I'm going to skip doing so until next years devices.

I bet next years Pixel's will be really sweet though.

I think what I've said a few times in this thread still holds pretty true: Barring specific requirements you must have like waterproof-ness or the best looking design ever, the Pixel is the Android phone you should buy when money is no object, and at $300-$350 the 6P is the Android phone most people in this thread should buy (except I'm not sure what the warranty/support situation on the 6P's you can buy right now is)

Grumpwagon posted:

Can people who have them comment on their battery life and UI jankiness or lack thereof?

I am very happy with the (low) level of jank on my 6P. It's not non-existent, but it's pretty good.

I am also very happy with the battery life...I end up with > 40% after 12-14 hours off-charger. I'm rarely off-charger for that long though. I'll usually plug in it for a total of 15-30 minutes at various points throughout the day. That leaves me at >80% at the end of the day.

I don't really play games, Pocket Casts (I stream everything), Play Music (I stream everything), and various information apps like Awful, Chrome, TT-RSS, News & Weather are my most used apps.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 18, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Should have messenger for SMS and allo for allo messages. So 2. Plus duo for video. So I guess you could call that 3.

It's going to take forever to convince people on my Hangouts list to switch to Allo and most of them won't without a desktop/web app so that makes it 4 apps.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm torn about upgrading from my 6p to a a Pixel or not. On the one hand I'd be better off skipping since my 6p is a fine phone. But on the other hand it's a fine phone with a crack across the screen. Everything still 100% works fine at least but still sore that it didn't survive a fall onto the wood floor from maybe 3 feet.

I'll probably just wait for a sale or for next year's model.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sereri posted:

Works for me, make sure you have embedding turned on.

Bless you, kind sir or ma'am.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Man the world of cellphones is depressing. What would a good budget n5 replacement be? My wife's n5 battery is poo poo, though the battery in my n5 seems fine.

Would something like a g4 be comparable in speed/responsiveness?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Oh, one other thing to ask about with the 6P. Does Bluetooth range/performance still suck with nexus devices?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
New killer feature for me? Lifeproof has loving cases listed for the upcoming Google phones, something that hasn't been available for previous Nexuses.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

havenwaters posted:

I'm torn about upgrading from my 6p to a a Pixel or not. On the one hand I'd be better off skipping since my 6p is a fine phone. But on the other hand it's a fine phone with a crack across the screen. Everything still 100% works fine at least but still sore that it didn't survive a fall onto the wood floor from maybe 3 feet.

I'll probably just wait for a sale or for next year's model.

I have a strong feeling pixel phones will drop $100-200 in a few months on some sale. It happened to the 6p often. I'm waiting, I figure in 3-6 months it'll be significantly cheaper.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's going to take forever to convince people on my Hangouts list to switch to Allo and most of them won't without a desktop/web app so that makes it 4 apps.
The only conversations I have going in hangouts is a group chat with my techie friends and a my chat thread with my mom. I'll switch to messenger to talk with her and the group has already talked about switching to allo. nbd.
Your mileage may vary.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Man the world of cellphones is depressing. What would a good budget n5 replacement be? My wife's n5 battery is poo poo, though the battery in my n5 seems fine.
5X

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Have you considered the Moto X Pure? Currently $290 in the cheapest 16G configuration, and $10 more gets you 32. I haven't had any speed or responsiveness complaints, although admittedly I've only had it a day.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Android Police's Pixel review is up: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/18/google-pixel-review-a-very-good-phone-by-google/

Looks like it's a decent phone, speaker isn't that good, battery life is about the same as the S7 Edge, and the camera is the best camera in the history of all smartphone cameras.

Oh, and the screen (at least on the XL) is really nice. They couldn't compare to the normal Pixel because it was sent off in a video review.

Oh, and here's something no one mentioned before: The Pixel phones are able to back data up to Google Drive. This includes SMS messages.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know my group of friends played with it for the first day and then promptly dropped it. It's not going to be a viable option for any of us until it's multi-device and has a web client. Enabling hangouts is the first thing in going to do on the Pixel and I hope Google is snooping that info so they know.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know this is an old and tired opinion these days, but between what's going on with their messaging clients and what's going on with their phones, Google really jumped the shark this year. I'm sure it will be fine once the dust settles, but there's really no compelling reason to switch messaging clients or phones right now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So it sounds like the Pixel reviews are exactly what we expected then!

ilkhan posted:

The only conversations I have going in hangouts is a group chat with my techie friends and a my chat thread with my mom. I'll switch to messenger to talk with her and the group has already talked about switching to allo. nbd.
Your mileage may vary.

I can switch my mom and brother pretty easily, but I have 4-5 people who won't unless it has multi device/desktop app capability like Hangouts does. It really sucks because I want to use it, it's an excellent messaging app.

bull3964 posted:

I know my group of friends played with it for the first day and then promptly dropped it. It's not going to be a viable option for any of us until it's multi-device and has a web client. Enabling hangouts is the first thing in going to do on the Pixel and I hope Google is snooping that info so they know.

Yup, same, I hope this encourages some changes to Allo.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yep, unless they integrate allo into the gmail chat client they can tear Hangouts from my cold dead hands.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SB35 posted:

Yep, unless they integrate allo into the gmail chat client they can tear Hangouts from my cold dead hands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're going to end up being like that guy who would uninstall Hangouts to talk to certain people and reinstall an old APK of Gtalk to talk to other people or whatever super edge-case insanity it was.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

You're going to end up being like that guy who would uninstall Hangouts to talk to certain people and reinstall an old APK of Gtalk to talk to other people or whatever super edge-case insanity it was.

What. It's pretty reasonable to want a bit more out of the current iteration of Allo, in order to replace Hangouts. This isn't some insane stupid nerdy edge case.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Believe it or not, Google is not supreme dictator on what apps people use. They have had plenty of failed initiates, and there is no guarantee that if they ask people to switch apps that they won't switch to something Google doesn't control.

If they deprecate Hangouts without an acceptable alternative, I won't be chasing Google on their whimsical journey this time around.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Anandtech usually has the most in depth reviews, but they also usually lag because of that.
Everyone there who knew what they were talking about got hired away a couple years ago.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man, I'm still having trouble getting people off ICQ.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm eager to hear this too. Most tech writing is so obnoxiously wanky, as someone who likes gadgets but doesn't like to call a new smart phone historic or revolutionary.

Whoever wrote the one for the verge seems to think you can only get a Pixel if you use Verizon?

Mkbhd on YouTube is great.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ron Amadeo's review seems very solid and is exactly what we all expected I think, for the negative points: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/google-pixel-review-bland-pricey-but-still-best-android-phone/

Still keeping my preorder I think at this point.

quote:

The Good

-Android from Google. This is a cohesive, consistent software package instead of being a branding battleground between Google and a third party.
-The Assistant is fun, fast, and useful. A great evolution of Google's already great voice command system.
-The only 2016 Android phone with fast OS updates.
-One of the best cameras on a smartphone. Great low light shots and speedy performance.
-Has a headphone jack. Won't explode.

The Bad

-The sky-high price feels more like a marketing ploy ("We're just as good as the iPhone!") than a justifiable price point.
-The single speaker is a big downgrade from the Nexus 6P. Google is charging more and delivering less.
-A rear glass panel adds fragility and ugliness in exchange for... nothing? Just use metal.
-Other devices at this price point from Samsung and Apple are "dunkable" in water with IP68 rating. The Pixels are not.
-Still no SD card slot even though Google made SD cards much more usable in Android 6.0.
-Google's two years of major OS updates can't compare to Apple's iPhone support, which is often 4+ years of OS updates.

The Ugly

-Google's flagship smartphone design is a bland iPhone clone. Do better.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Everyone there who knew what they were talking about got hired away a couple years ago.

Some of the new blood seems perfectly capable with their most recent reviews but given how slow they are at putting out reviews, it feels like a skeleton crew over there.

I think the phone/tablet guy is currently a UCLA student based on some of the content he includes in his reviews.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ron Amadeo's review seems very solid and is exactly what we all expected I think, for the negative points: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/google-pixel-review-bland-pricey-but-still-best-android-phone/

Still keeping my preorder I think at this point.

Yeah I got a good chuckle out of the last point in the "Good" section.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Grumpwagon posted:

Oh, one other thing to ask about with the 6P. Does Bluetooth range/performance still suck with nexus devices?

Range is not great. I have a set of bluetooth speakers at the office, and it doesn't do well with them unless its right next to them. That's at least partially the speaker's fault though. Nougat really improved how bluetooth performs for me. I used to get a lot of drops in the car, and times when it wouldn't connect, or would connect and not play anything and those issues have gone away since I updated.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Wasn't it something like google talk during the week, hangouts on the weekends.

Yeahhhhh, gonna let loose this weekend. Install some current ayyy peee kayys

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

wont explode

Now that's a bit presumptuous. :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just tried to switch 3 different friends to Allo from Hangouts. All of them said the same thing in different ways once I tried to explain Allo, "gently caress that until SMS integration and a web app" :sigh: Google, why do you make this as hard as possible?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So those reviews pretty much confirm what I suspected was the case: the Pixel is a very nice phone, but the Nexus 6P is also a very nice phone at about half-to-three-fifths of the price, and the places where the Pixel offers something unique or exceptional (the camera, Assistant) aren't things I especially care about. Not that wanting a fantastic camera is bad, it's just not particularly important to me. Assistant, we'll have to see, but Now hasn't really blown my socks off, and seems to exist primarily to give me hilariously inaccurate travel times to and from work because it doesn't understand the concept of commuter bus lines.

Actually, it's bizarre to me that Now isn't better with bus stuff, since Google invented the data specification that most mass transit agencies use to make their schedules available to the electronic world.

My 6 is still chugging along fine, so I'm not jumping on anything right away anyway, and if there's a good Pixel sale a couple of months down the line, it'll be tempting.

Also I use Steam's IM when I'm not texting, though I'm not sure that's anything to boast about. (But, again, it's what my friends use.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Yea i dont trust any opinion more than anandtech