Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I kinda liked that the game didn't have poise but I understand people like to play like slow lame tanks for some reason so "let them eat cake" as Marie Antoinette famously said

would've preferred removing equip load completely and nerfing greatshield stability, depending on the values this could make pvp total rear end. i like stunning people when i hit them consistently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

i think about this vid a lot lmao

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Am I missing something...
All the patch notes say about poise is that the values were adjusted to make it
More effective with heavier weapons and armor, it doesn't say anything about changing the way poise actually works

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

i can't stop repeating 'do not fall for the levelling int meme' in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1ap_t_PZ8

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Benny D posted:

Am I missing something...
All the patch notes say about poise is that the values were adjusted to make it
More effective with heavier weapons and armor, it doesn't say anything about changing the way poise actually works

You aren't missing anything, the poise system will be the same, they're probably just trying to make the poise stat itself useful. DS3 poise is working fine, and is better than DS1 and DS2 style poise, but there was never any point in having high poise. I think the coolest thing would be if higher poise meant shorter startup for the poise frames so you don't get interrupted as easily, but we'll see how this works out on friday!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jordbo posted:

You aren't missing anything, the poise system will be the same, they're probably just trying to make the poise stat itself useful. DS3 poise is working fine, and is better than DS1 and DS2 style poise, but there was never any point in having high poise. I think the coolest thing would be if higher poise meant shorter startup for the poise frames so you don't get interrupted as easily, but we'll see how this works out on friday!

How's it working fine and better if its basically tied to your weapon and the stat itself was negligible past the first point (on some weapons)

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Kild posted:

How's it working fine and better if its basically tied to your weapon and the stat itself was negligible past the first point (on some weapons)

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose! On one hand, it's dumb that the stat doesn't do anything (resistance all over again), but on the other hand the game plays fine with poise set as it is. It's pretty much how it was in Demon's Souls or Bloodborne, but with an extra pointless number there to confuse.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
It's dumb current implementation of poise effectively removes an entire play style (maximum armor in favor of mobility) by rendering the equipment load increasing stat completely irrelevant. Instead there's no reason to go for heavy armor at all due to how poise is inefficient and heavier armor offering poor defense in comparison to lightweight armor. Guess the issue goes deeper than just poise but I would see heavy armor being more feasible if poise increase (increased best by heavy armor) was an Actual Thing That Worked.

Might as well just go full Bloodborne and forget about item load completely currently.

Game still rules

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

what if they added poise to the carthus curved sword

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chinese barbecue porp posted:

It's dumb current implementation of poise effectively removes an entire play style (maximum armor in favor of mobility) by rendering the equipment load increasing stat completely irrelevant. Instead there's no reason to go for heavy armor at all due to how poise is inefficient and heavier armor offering poor defense in comparison to lightweight armor. Guess the issue goes deeper than just poise but I would see heavy armor being more feasible if poise increase (increased best by heavy armor) was an Actual Thing That Worked.

Might as well just go full Bloodborne and forget about item load completely currently.

Game still rules

Theyre trolling everyone who stilll uses heavy armor

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think it looks cool

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i pretty much just wear whatever looks the coolest

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

speaking of fashion souls, everyone post your dolls for grownups builds! here's my main build and my ganking build, respectively

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I would prefer the DS1 or 2 system of Poise, but increasing the viability / effectiveness of the current system isn't a bad idea. I'm guessing the goal is to make heavier weapons and armor more viable by increasing their hyper armor capabilities, which is the only thing the Poise stat in DS3 increases.

So if you're just standing there like a dummy and getting whaled on you'll get stunlocked, but if you manage to initiate a swing with a big fuckoff 2hander you'll actually be able to complete it and do some big damage while someone is slashing away with their straight sword or whatever. Assuming you land the hit. I would imagine for this to work effectively either the AR of the big weapons would have to be increased, or heavy armor would have to grant you way more damage reduction then it currently does. But we'll see I guess!

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

One more week

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

goferchan posted:

I think it looks cool

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Jordbo posted:

speaking of fashion souls, everyone post your dolls for grownups builds! here's my main build and my ganking build, respectively

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

badass

the firekeeper set is so cool, i especially love the long cloak

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

is the frog touching the treasure chest yet?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Jordbo posted:

badass

the firekeeper set is so cool, i especially love the long cloak

yeah it's definitely my fave chest piece, I love the little embroidered mantle it comes with. not that many gloves it works with (have to be long ones, which I think is firekeeper's, karla's, and creighton's?) but I really love pairing it with heavily armoured legs - e.g. havels.

my wheelhouse
Nov 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bobnumerotres posted:

is the frog touching the treasure chest yet?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

poor girl broke her pyromancy hand

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

the new patch is sweet. scythes, axes, and maces are a lot more functional now

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm going to spend all of tuesday playing this, i think.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think I'm ready. I think I have to start my 8th character.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

chinese barbecue porp posted:

I don't think I'm ready. I think I have to start my 8th character.

i'm pretty sure i'm going in with my dex carthus curved sword guy at first to see how it plays, and might start a new character based around dlc weapons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna use my original character to do the DLC because I never actually progressed to NG+. In fact ive never even seen a single ending to this game

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
My first character is a spammy estoc + magic build though. I feel like I should start over and challenge Dark Souls III: The Ashes of Ariandel DLC as a pure str/dex quality build relying only on dodging and gaming skills.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

If for some reason you own an xbone you can download and play Ashes of Ariandel right now 😑

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Benny D posted:

If for some reason you own an xbone you can download and play Ashes of Ariandel right now 😑

lol. is it the same thing from the main game release where the JP version released early, but it's really just the english version?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

lol. is it the same thing from the main game release where the JP version released early, but it's really just the english version?

Nah apparently Microsoft is just dumb and unlocked it early. It's fixed now but if you downloaded it you can play in offline mode. Apparently a shitload of people got it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can wait a few days, but it sucks having to dodge spoilers from an early release.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The idea of spoilers in a mechanics dependent experience like souls is weird to me but I'm sympathetic to the idea

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

The idea of spoilers in a mechanics dependent experience like souls is weird to me but I'm sympathetic to the idea

the game is mostly about exploration for me, so having major areas or themes ruined takes away a lot of the experience

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

the game is mostly about exploration for me, so having major areas or themes ruined takes away a lot of the experience

same

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

If you started a new character for the DLC like me and are wondering where to stop, DLc is accessible at roughly before the halfway mark of the game

the quest to enter starts after deacons of the deep

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Will I be ludicrously OP for the DLC if I'm using a character who's cleared the game? I assumed it would be like the bloodborne DLC and be scaled to extend the finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thats how ds2 and 1 were too, i think it'll be fine

• Locked thread