Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't forget that V and X both have D200/250 dungeons coming up, too.

It means that for those with good synergy or plans to drop on X/XIII banners, next six months should be good news. I'm not planning to draw, so... :v: My X synergy isn't amazing but it's alright - a Medica, the shared Medica everyone got, and Riot Blade, so that'll be good enough to carry me through most of the content. XIII isn't as fortunate - I have a Hastega (Boon) and just enough melee synergy to cover everyone but Snow, but no Medicas, no mage gear to speak off other than the Witch's Hat, and no real offensive SBs (only one is Blaze Rush, which is woefully outdated). So I'll be relying solely on hones there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I had an out of town trip the last few days that left me so busy I barely touched the game at all, all my stamina went into running dailies when I could remember to do it. As such, I hadn't really done the current event yet so I've been catching up, and finally got to try out the Hamelin BSB that I pulled back on Thursday.

So... Eiko's pretty much my perma-healer now, huh. Holy moly...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

The breakeven point at luneths RM is six months of only sundaily. Three months of all dailies.

You're really making me regret getting Luneth first

Oh well maybe I get some Luneth equipment off the Onion Knight banner

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You're really making me regret getting Luneth first

Oh well maybe I get some Luneth equipment off the Onion Knight banner

Also keep in mind that the breakeven point doesn't take into account orbfests.

Honestly, I only grabbed Luneth second because after Ramza, I'd have to dip into my B-or-lower Teams anyway until the second wave, so why not do it now as opposed to when non-protags are begging for the MC3s?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Apparently in JP, on 20/10, people will get a Witch Staff and and a Pumpkin Hat. Possibly FF VI.

I think last time around they moved our items to match our event at the time (FF XIII), so maybe our items are FF II.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 18, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

Apparently in JP, on 20/10, people will get a Witch Staff and and a Pumpkin Hat. Possibly FF VI.

I think last time around they moved our items to match our event at the time (FF XIII), so maybe our items are FF II.

II and IX are equally likely, I'd wager, unless they just make it VI synergy For Reasons like they did the Christmas stuff and its VII synergy.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope they pick the FFXIV Halloween music for this year's BGM

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I'm having a rough month with main job, secondary job, contract job, Canuck Thanksgiving, Master's project, and varsity championships all demanding more time than I can give. Normally I review the Zurai guide and reddit AI & U+ consultation threads to tune my team setup, but tough to do so this week.

I'd hate to end my streak of mastered events, so I'm here to ask for a favor: could some of y'all friendly folks offer your thoughts on my options for mastering the Meltigemini CM? Many thanks in advance to all who give their two cents! :)

What I Have
Weapons

Save the Queen (old Beatrix AoE HolyElem SB)
Ultima Sword (old Steiner AoE SB)
Ultima Sword (uncombined so 4-Phys meta works)
Needle Fork (Quina ProShellga SB)
Gladius++ (reforgeable if needed)
Wizard Rod (Garnet Divine Guardian SSB)
Wizard Rod (uncombined so mage & healer can work)

Armor
Power Sash (Shared Protectga SB)
Power Sash (uncombined)
Power Sash (uncombined)
Magician Robe++ (reforgeable if needed)
Brigandine++ (reforgeable if needed)
Brigandine++ (reforgeable if needed)

Abilities
No 6* abilities (all Nightmare bosses unlocked)
5* R3: Dragoon Jump, Dark Zone
5* R2: Full Break, Saint's Cross
5* R1: Chain Firaga
4* R5: Curaja
4* R4: All Breakdowns, Banishing Strike, Diaga
4* R3: Firaja
4* R2: Blood of the Wyvern, Memento Mori
4* R1: Alexander, Phoenix

Native SBs
Hastega
Hi Regen
Res+
Protectga
Shellga
Weak damage SBs

What I'm Missing
Native Boostga
Native Faithga
Native Medica
5* RS weapon for both Quina & Freya (spear & 4*++ dagger at best)
Honed fire/holy magics

Questions

1) Nightmare re-opens in a day or so. Is an R1 Meltdown a huge asset versus Meltigemini?

2) Both Eiko banners are legit great, and Eiko, Beatrix, Quina, and Vivi BSBs stand out as being fantastic for the CM and super items in general. Worth pulling despite the current depth of existing IX weapons/armor?

3) I have tons of orbs, are Alexander and Chain Firaga two skills that I should hone up to R4/R3 respectively both for this boss and future content? Note that I have never honed a 4* or 5* Summon asides from getting Carbuncle to R2.

Thanks again! Going to go bury my head in textbooks for 9 hours.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 18, 2016

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So uh, Dena Global is being dissolved. I have no idea what this means for FFRK.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
At a first glance, consider using both wizard rods and Vivi burst RW's. Quina's with needle fork, Beatrix spamming Lifesiphon in P1-> SB/Saints Cross in P2, with Quina doing support things and one slot left for a healer.

In general, Meltman is going to benefit from an overwhelming offense strategy. You want to nuke one of the twins within 5 rounds to prevent their meteors, then kill the second while a Magic Breakdown is casting along with all the holy and fire damage you can muster. If you can get him below 50% HP before his third turn, his script resets. Kill him before his 5th turn, and you'll literally never see his Bio.

It goes like this:

T0: Kill Clowns
T1: AoE Poison (no damage)
T2: Meteor (ignores Res. Hits for ~1500 with proper breakdowns)
At this point, Bio becomes availiable to cast. When his HP goes below 50% though, the following script starts:
T3: AoE Sap (no damage)
T4: Meteor (same as before)

That means if you can unload with SBs/BSBs that hit him as weakness, his feeble HP will melt away and the scripted attacks are v manageable. Especially with a well timed DG refresh.

(Zorn and Thorn are similarly super scripted. They'll hit fairly hard with fire and ice AoE on turn one but then will spend the next few rounds doing weak phys attacks to the party member with the highest HP, giving you plenty of time to top off.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Global does mean places other than the US. I don't doubt that there will be some degree of the game being affected, but hopefully it'll continue running since it should be a steady profit-earner.

If anything, it's the prices of renting in SF.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hoo boy. I want to start by saying that my mindset towards Cid Missions is :fireman:, so I can't really help with specifics on that. (My advice would be "skip the CM, use your A-team").

1) R1 Meltdown under an Enfire Burst (such as Vivi's BSB, hint) will probably do ~18-24k for each of its uses. It's nice, but you'd have to clear both the Meltdown nightmare (which is Not Pleasant) and the Ultima nightmare to get the black crystals for it, if memory serves, and after those two solid hits it's a dead slot. I might be lowballing those numbers a bit, but in all honesty, 60k on Melti's 160k is only really worth paying attention to if you've only got one or two damage dealers - ideally you want to rush Melti down from 100%-50% in less than three of his turns, and then 50%-0% in less than three more. tl;dr: if you're using Vivi's burst then it's nice, but if you're using Vivi's burst then you can just use his burst commands. Meltdown is a great spell but don't feel forced to rush it.

2) Vivi and Eiko's BSBs both are great for this, and Beatrix's SSB provides a little breathing room with its MBlink. That said, you can RW Vivi BSB if you think you can rush down Melti before it starts throwing Bio murder everywhere. The +50% RES from Divine Guardian, while a solid help, still turns 3000 damage AoEs to 2000 damage AoEs with Magic Breakdown/Full Break. Use the normal pulling caveats; pull if you want to, don't pull if you don't. Is it worth risking an offbanner or Steiner Excalibur?

3) Absolutely hone up Alexander. It's the only non-SB way of inflicting Holy damage with the MAG stat. There's other ways, of course, but they're all tied to SBs either via burst commands or the breaks themselves. In addition, more AoE spells is always good. As far as Chain Firaga, it's nice to have, but use the same mentality of all the other 5* Chain skills for prioritizing - do you have an Imperil or Enelement for that 5*'s element? If so, prioritize honing it up, if not, maybe consider holding off. As with Meltdown, the important thing with Meltigemini is quick burst damage.

CaptainPsyko posted:

At a first glance, consider using both wizard rods and Vivi burst RW's. Quina's with needle fork, Beatrix spamming Lifesiphon in P1-> SB/Saints Cross in P2, with Quina doing support things and one slot left for a healer.

In general, Meltman is going to benefit from an overwhelming offense strategy. You want to nuke one of the twins within 5 rounds to prevent their meteors, then kill the second while a Magic Breakdown is casting along with all the holy and fire damage you can muster. If you can get him below 50% HP before his third turn, his script resets. Kill him before his 5th turn, and you'll literally never see his Bio.

This goon has the right idea, I believe.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

QuantaStarFire posted:

Not quite.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

KnoxZone posted:

I'm not massively worried for FFRK, because of this segment:

"The West market will continue to be a market of focus for DeNA, but the company will shift the strategy for this region towards collaborations with external partners rather than doing game development in a local studio."

FFRK certainly isn't developed in the west, and it also falls squarely under something they're collaborating on with an external partner (Square-Enix.) So I'd assume things stay mostly the same for us, at least for the time being. Biggest questions are probably translations and support, since those would have to be at least partially local. Is SE going to do some of that, or would DeNA move it to their JP side?

But uh, I wouldn't really whale on the game in the slightest now, until we know what will this mean for the game.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

Global does mean places other than the US. I don't doubt that there will be some degree of the game being affected, but hopefully it'll continue running since it should be a steady profit-earner.

If anything, it's the prices of renting in SF.

I highly doubt it had anything to do with the SF rent. Looking at the DeNA company as a whole, they are the standard Japanese online technology company with operations in most areas of Internet communications, as well as other areas of high-margin aspects of the Japanese economy like fashion. Here's their full list:

http://dena.com/intl/services/services-portfolio/

Their wikipedia entry lists all their games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeNA

Interesting, I played Rage of Bahamut back when it first came out for all of a month, then decided it was pointless and gave all my cards to a friend.

Looking at that statement, the losses to the Global unit are measured in the hundreds of millions over the past 2 years. That is orders of magnitude beyond FFRK's likely profit, and means that while our game is a hit, I'm guessing everything else they made was not. Properties that make money are usually maintained one way or another, and based on the statements in that document they will outsource the global development of the game. Which could be fine, or very bad.

I really hope they don't pull a Disney, who shut down Playdom along with their games Marvel Avengers Alliance 1 and 2, with only a month's notice. Those were fun and well designed games, great graphics and gameplay, even a decent comic-book story. I even got my wife to play MAA2 and enjoy it. Glad I didn't put more than $10 into those games. Could you imagine the outcry of the whales if FFRK was shutdown? We'd all be deafened.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

QuantaStarFire posted:

They should use FF XIV music for everything possible

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

My most hopeful guess is that Square-Enix themselves will take over publishing duties since it's their property and they're already established in the West, while the rest of DeNA's games will be handed off to individual publishers for Western marketing and localization.

IcePhoenix posted:

True, but the Hall of Rites should use this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NBm9uF47U

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

How on earth did they lose 3 billion yen.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

speaking of, I am irrationally bothered they used The Dark's Embrace over Below for Copperbell Mines; sure,it plays in Copperbell Hard but it also plays in like five other dungeons' Hard remix like Brayflox's Longstop and Stone Vigil.

Still, there's enough dungeons they're going to skip that there'll be a lot they don't use from it. The Binding Coil for instance is strictly speaking optional but it'd be perfect as an event if for some reason they decide to add Alisaie as a party member.

QuantaStarFire posted:

True, but the Hall of Rites should use this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NBm9uF47U

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AweStriker posted:

Still, there's enough dungeons they're going to skip that there'll be a lot they don't use from it. The Binding Coil for instance is strictly speaking optional but it'd be perfect as an event if for some reason they decide to add Alisaie as a party member.

The Coils could also add Louisoix and Nael. I want to have a U++ Nael fight in FFRK.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Beasteh posted:

How on earth did they lose 3 billion yen.

They didn't, if I'm reading right - they're taking a 3 billion yen loss in damages by closing down these offices. Which is technically worse since they decided this was the more reasonable option.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

They didn't, if I'm reading right - they're taking a 3 billion yen loss in damages by closing down these offices. Which is technically worse since they decided this was the more reasonable option.

I mean, that's, what, 30 million dollars?

Severance and continuation of benefits and whatever other obligations they might have to some 300 US employees can easily eat up a significant chunk of that right off the front.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I mean, that's, what, 30 million dollars?

Severance and continuation of benefits and whatever other obligations they might have to some 300 US employees can easily eat up a significant chunk of that right off the front.

At current exchange rates, it comes to about 29 mil, yeah. Not just the layoffs, either; the cost of liquidating their assets in San Francisco of all places isn't going to be cheap.

Still, that implies that it was a lesser cost than keeping the subsidiaries running.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Hoo boy. I want to start by saying that my mindset towards Cid Missions is :fireman:, so I can't really help with specifics on that. (My advice would be "skip the CM, use your A-team").

1) R1 Meltdown under an Enfire Burst (such as Vivi's BSB, hint) will probably do ~18-24k for each of its uses.

Meltdown should actually be an easy 29,997 for each use with a synergy mage weapon - after taking into account Enfire and weakness it's 1470 potency per hit. A R1 Meltdown will do a little under half of Meltigemini's health with both uses.

As an extra push for Alexander, the U+++ for the FFII event is a three-wave fight similar to the Esthar Soldiers fight in the last VIII event, and they're all weak to Holy. Alexander will do great work there.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 18, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

the U+++ for the FFII event

They're adding another ultimate level already? :stare:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So could someone explain what the implications are here for this whole global thing? I don't even wanna do dollar pulls if they're about to put the kibosh on the entire thing.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Servaetes posted:

So could someone explain what the implications are here for this whole global thing? I don't even wanna do dollar pulls if they're about to put the kibosh on the entire thing.

We have no clue yet, basically.

(edit) Though I am certainly putting all dollar pulls on ice now, until we know what is up.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 18, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

They're adding another ultimate level already? :stare:

U++, my bad.

In addition, CMs will only apply to U+s from the FFII event on, so feel free to bring your A-team for the U+++ (which is a good thing since FFII won't get any Summoners for six months).

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Attestant posted:

We have no clue yet, basically.

(edit) Though I am certainly putting all dollar pulls on ice now, until we know what is up.

The prudent move is to not buy or use any of your gems.

I don't think the game is going to go *poof* overnight or even disappear in the long term, but we literally have no idea what the quality of support this game is going to be getting going forward.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

well thats a shame i liked the game pretty well but i dont think it will be here in 3 months. we will see i guess.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
say it ain't so, DeNA

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Scob posted:

well thats a shame i liked the game pretty well but i dont think it will be here in 3 months. we will see i guess.

I dunno, I don't feel like it's that dire, just because this is also a Square-Enix game. Even if western DeNA is folding, SE might have interests in keeping the game alive and well in the west too.

I'm very "wait and see" on the matter.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
DeNA Global obviously didn't handle development of RK and I think even localization was outsourced to somebody else prior to this happening. The announcement of the dissolution of the global office even says that the West will continue to be a target market for DeNA and that they're focusing on collaborations going forward, which RK would obviously fall under.

I wouldn't worry too much about the future of the game... yet. Hopefully Reddit gets a more definitive response from support though.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

I dunno, I don't feel like it's that dire, just because this is also a Square-Enix game. Even if western DeNA is folding, SE might have interests in keeping the game alive and well in the west too.

I'm very "wait and see" on the matter.

Yup, I think it's worth remembering that Mobius Final Fantasy is actually developed and managed in house by SE, so it's not like they couldn't shift it over to them and/or increase the size of the department to take it on. The big point is that the game, unlike most of DeNA's other stuff is making money, just not so absurdly much that it could keep them afloat on its own.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

my line of thinking on this is most of these games will recycle events, where as this one has new ones every week. yeah japan is going strong (i guess?) but will they continue to put the effort into translation for the global app? and while its a small cross section to be sure im already seeing people say they are done spending or waiting to see on here and reddit so just kinda connecting the dots.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
'Waiting to see' for like, a week until we get more definitive news on what will happen going forward is not going to completely ruin the game financially

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grozz Nuy posted:

'Waiting to see' for like, a week until we get more definitive news on what will happen going forward is not going to completely ruin the game financially

Not to mention any halfway competent company will realize that an announcement of, "hey, the company managing this game is going away," is going to make people hesitant to spend money on it until there's a definitive statement that the game is sticking around.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Grozz Nuy posted:

But they wont get my 2 bucks!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
This game better not go the way of Chain Chronicle :ohdear: I don't think it'll shut down or take a hit in quality though, since it's a collab with such a big company and a financial hit in and of itself. Worst case Square passes the torch to a new company, and as long as it doesn't wind up in Gumi/Alim's hands everything should be alright.

on a totally unrelated note, why the gently caress are there trash mobs in this event with instant ko attacks :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I think it's important to note that only the DeNA Global company is being folded, which is a subsidiary of DeNA itself. The main Japanese company remains, and as they are the ones responsible for the development of FFRK (not SquareEnix) I'm now less worried about the overall continuation of the game due to it's popularity in Japan. But the localization and support are definitely up in the air. If Grozz Nuy is correct and localization is already outsourced, maybe we won't even notice a change.

Here's hoping.

• Locked thread