Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Knowing Tezzor, they probably actually mean (((large hollywood types)))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Michael Bay
Bret Ratner
Marvel

Lucas used to be an "everyman" outsider type to hollywood and had pointed beliefs, especially about changing film negatives. He even stood before congress to decry retroactive change to film.

He sold out. He made the prequels to sell toys. Star Wars used to be his baby, his artwork but then star wars became nothing but a get rich quick scheme

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

So just to be clear, if something happens in the next few Star Wars sequels that changes the way we see events of the OT, you'll be pissed off about that, correct?

TFA already did that since whoops turns out all three protagonists are fuckups of varying degrees.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Knowing Tezzor, they probably actually mean (((large hollywood types)))

This is low.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

So just to be clear, if something happens in the next few Star Wars sequels that changes the way we see events of the OT, you'll be pissed off about that, correct?

I already said that sequels DONT DO RETROACTIVE CHANGE.

Forward loving progress is different than going back and modifying the originals.

God this thread is giving me an ulcer.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Michael Bay
Bret Ratner
Marvel

Lucas used to be an "everyman" outsider type to hollywood and had pointed beliefs, especially about changing film negatives. He even stood before congress to decry retroactive change to film.

He sold out. He made the prequels to sell toys. Star Wars used to be his baby, his artwork but then star wars became nothing but a get rich quick scheme

Yo, have you ever read about the merchandising deals Lucas set up for the original Star Wars? It was a genius move that made him rich as hell. Star Wars has always had a side goal of selling toys, you nincompoop.

Art can be art and also be commercialized.

lol, this is too easy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Forward loving progress is different than going back and modifying the originals.

If a prequel and a sequel are both made many years after the original work, what's the difference and why is one automatically bad?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

That's not what they're saying at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Merchandising, merchandising! That's where the real money's made!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Yo, have you ever read about the merchandising deals Lucas set up for the original Star Wars? It was a genius move that made him rich as hell. Star Wars has always had a side goal of selling toys, you nincompoop.

Art can be art and also be commercialized.

lol, this is too easy

Again youre being a colossal oval office and putting words in my mouth.

Need I spell it out for you? Should I write it in crayon?

The special editions and prequels WERE MADE FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF HAWKING MERCH.

THE OT WAS NOT.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Again youre being a colossal oval office and putting words in my mouth.

Need I spell it out for you? Should I write it in crayon?

The special editions and prequels WERE MADE FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF HAWKING MERCH.

THE OT WAS NOT.

Tezzor, I know your diaper is full, but you can't just make up things and not substantiate them. Got any sources on this claim?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its funny that you think writing simple sentences in all caps means people have to agree with you.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phi230 posted:

This is the dumbest opinion. Star Wars was super-popular even before the prequels, and if he wanted to he could have churned out the money machine on the OT until he died. Or he could have farmed out the movies to a studio, had someone else write and direct them, and sat back and let the checks roll in.

The PT was pretty obviously a passion project of his, and if nothing else, it should be fairly indisputable that Lucas made more Star Wars because he likes it and wanted to. And yeah, I'm sure he wanted to make money too, because we live under capitalism and the man's a smart businessman.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

If a prequel and a sequel are both made many years after the original work, what's the difference and why is one automatically bad?

Yes finally god.

A prequels changes are different from a sequels xhange.

One is retroactive change. Taking an existing work and corrupting it.

Whereas one is forward progress that can be ignored if its bad. The original work is left alone.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just want to say I got nothing to do with this Phi230 character

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Tezzor, I know your diaper is full, but you can't just make up things and not substantiate them. Got any sources on this claim?

I dont need to explain anything to you you god damned anti semite

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Yes finally god.

Whereas one is forward progress that can be ignored if its bad. The original work is left alone.

Just as long as you're aware that all of this is in your own head.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I mean, ignoring the prequels has worked out pretty well for me so far.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

This is the dumbest opinion. Star Wars was super-popular even before the prequels, and if he wanted to he could have churned out the money machine on the OT until he died. Or he could have farmed out the movies to a studio, had someone else write and direct them, and sat back and let the checks roll in.

The PT was pretty obviously a passion project of his, and if nothing else, it should be fairly indisputable that Lucas made more Star Wars because he likes it and wanted to. And yeah, I'm sure he wanted to make money too, because we live under capitalism and the man's a smart businessman.

If we've learned anything from how Lucas behaves, it is that above all else he is an artist first. For better and for worse.

Phi230 posted:

I dont need to explain anything to you you god damned anti semite

Whoa there Tezzor, you're the one ranting about "large hollywood types" that people sell out to.

Now unless you can provide some evidence of your spurious claims, I'm gonna have to dismiss them, champ.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
He sacrificed artistic integrity for money. How is that not selling out. And dont you dare try to conflate big money corporate hollywood with judaism

Do I really have to cite basic concepts and ideas just cuz youre making me have a nice meltdown

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phi230 posted:

He sacrificed artistic integrity for money. How is that not selling out.
Wait, I thought the usual complaint was the opposite, that Lucas only made the PT the way he wanted to and didn't listen to anyone else. Who did he sell out to?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

But can you demonstrate that he actually did this?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Hydronium posted:

Wait, I thought the usual complaint was the opposite, that Lucas only made the PT the way he wanted to and didn't listen to anyone else. Who did he sell out to?

He didnt need to sell out to anyone. He just became what he raiked against for decades

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

He thinks the prequels are bad, that's the proof.

If the end result were to Tezzor's liking, it would not be considered selling out. Technically Lucas sold out by making Empire Strikes Back. There really was no need for it and Lucas sold a shitload of toys

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

The prequels were monetized to a greater extent than the OT. More merch, books, games. You even see this starting with the EU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

He thinks the prequels are bad, that's the proof.

If the end result were to Tezzor's liking, it would not be considered selling out. Technically Lucas sold out by making Empire Strikes Back. There really was no need for it and Lucas sold a shitload of toys

George lucas had little part in ESB or RotJ

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phi230 posted:

He sold out.

Phi230 posted:

He didnt need to sell out to anyone.
:psypop:

Also, guys, Phi isn't Tezzor. We can call out his arguments without resorting to insults like that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Hydronium posted:

:psypop:

Also, guys, Phi isn't Tezzor. We can call out his arguments without resorting to insults like that.

Maybe theres a confusion on selling out. The point is he sacrificed art for money

Also on this note apparently hating the prequels also makes me alt right too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

George lucas had little part in ESB or RotJ

Isn't that even worse then? He allowed his property to be taken over by others in the name of making a profit.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

See that's the thing, Lucas didn't sell out until he sold to Disney. Which was met with jubilant celebration by most fans because finally the dreaded lord Lucas was gone, no longer able to touch their beloved movies (half of which they hate irrationally). So in this case, Tezzor likes that Lucas sold out, but they called him a sellout without thinking, and now they have to work backwards to justify what they said.

We are watching the Tezzor prequels in the making right now people.

Phi230 posted:

The prequels were monetized to a greater extent than the OT. More merch, books, games. You even see this starting with the EU

Is that something that happened because Lucas wanted it to, or a natural consequence of the movie industry at the time? I seem to recall Jurassic Park and Independence Day merch being just as ubiquitous. Were they also sellout movies?

Also, prove this?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Michael Bay
Bret Ratner
Marvel

The prequels are very much done in a style NOT similar to that of Michael Bay. The editing is not nearly as rapid fire as pre-3D Bay, there's no "we have to cut every three seconds" rule, action scenes tend to be more clearly presented, I'm not seeing it.

The whole thing about Bret Ratner is he's a hired gun director without much personal style so I'm not sure how you could peg any director's work as being similar to his.

Marvel Studios only really swung into full gear after the last of the prequels had been released. He did sell the franchise to Disney, who also own Marvel, but again, aren't you in favor of that?

quote:

Against the makers' wishes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phi230 posted:

When I say retroactive change I dont mean addition or inform btw. I mean changing the absolute meaning into something completely different.

LIKE when Han shoots first, thus completely changing the character.

You regularly drop strange concepts like "absolute meaning" into your posts. As far as I can tell, this one comes from the strict literalism of religious fundamentalists:

"If there is an absolute Mind then there can be absolute meaning. The objective basis for meaning is found in the Mind of God. Whatever an infinite Mind means by something is what it means objectively and absolutely. Hence, the existence of objective and absolute meaning is grounded in the existence of an absolute Meaner (God)."
-"Defending Inerrancy: Affirming the Accuracy of Scripture for a New Generation"

Of course if something can be altered, then it's not absolute.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

The prequels are very much done in a style NOT similar to that of Michael Bay. The editing is not nearly as rapid fire as pre-3D Bay, there's no "we have to cut every three seconds" rule, action scenes tend to be more clearly presented, I'm not seeing it.

The whole thing about Bret Ratner is he's a hired gun director without much personal style so I'm not sure how you could peg any director's work as being similar to his.

Marvel Studios only really swung into full gear after the last of the prequels had been released. He did sell the franchise to Disney, who also own Marvel, but again, aren't you in favor of that?

Against the makers' wishes.

You asked me to name 3 types of people who do cynical cash grab type poo poo. Sellouts.

I quit. Everything is getting twisted and I best gtfo before Serf gets me banned as tezzor again

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Yes finally god.

A prequel is an achronological sequel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

See that's the thing, Lucas didn't sell out until he sold to Disney. Which was met with jubilant celebration by most fans because finally the dreaded lord Lucas was gone, no longer able to touch their beloved movies (half of which they hate irrationally). So in this case, Tezzor likes that Lucas sold out, but they called him a sellout without thinking, and now they have to work backwards to justify what they said.

We are watching the Tezzor prequels in the making right now people.

Is that something that happened because Lucas wanted it to, or a natural consequence of the movie industry at the time? I seem to recall Jurassic Park and Independence Day merch being just as ubiquitous. Were they also sellout movies?

Also, prove this?

I'd believe it for Episode I. The merch companies got really overexcited and produced an insane amount of stuff, and I've heard that they overproduced and some lost money because they thought it would be even bigger than before. For Episode II they dialed back some, though, I definitely don't recall as much saturation of the market. Episode III saw an uptick, though, as it was the last of the series and also the return of Darth Vader.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

Phi230 posted:

He didnt need to sell out to anyone. He just became what he raiked against for decades

Make up your god drat mind.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

You asked me to name 3 types of people who do cynical cash grab type poo poo. Sellouts.

I was asking for the names of people to whom he sold out. Whose movie is this anyway?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

I quit. Everything is getting twisted and I best gtfo before Serf gets me banned as tezzor again

Everything is getting twisted because you have no clear line of thought. You're all over the place and you contradict yourself every other post.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'd believe it for Episode I. The merch companies got really overexcited and produced an insane amount of stuff, and I've heard that they overproduced and some lost money because they thought it would be even bigger than before. For Episode II they dialed back some, though, I definitely don't recall as much saturation of the market. Episode III saw an uptick, though, as it was the last of the series and also the return of Darth Vader.

And they produced way too many Kylo Ren figures and not enough of Rey, which was pretty hilarious in hindsight. How could they not see her becoming the breakout star of the bunch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

And they produced way too many Kylo Ren figures and not enough of Rey, which was pretty hilarious in hindsight. How could they not see her becoming the breakout star of the bunch?

"Girl toys don't sell"- the toy industry since forever

• Locked thread