Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
McCain has the dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
I have deez nuts

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just early voted for Abuela in GA :toot:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

RACHET posted:

McCain has the dice

Mccaine was a D&D mod years ago, most famous for being a smug neo-Marxist who felt he didn't need to explain things once he'd cited the appropriate passage from Das Kapital, having unflattering BDSM photos of himself with full frontal easily locatable online, and sneeringly posting about how Vilerat's untimely death was payback for having made some regrettable posts about the Xhosa people earlier in life. Do try not to mix me up with him.

All mean-spirited-but-accurate jokes about washed-out communists aside, you'd have to have had written some stellar comedy for me to allow it as an unlisted third option to my original challenge.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Mccaine was a D&D mod years ago, most famous for being a smug neo-Marxist who felt he didn't need to explain things once he'd cited the appropriate passage from Das Kapital, having unflattering BDSM photos of himself with full frontal easily locatable online, and sneeringly posting about how Vilerat's untimely death was payback for having made some regrettable posts about the Xhosa people earlier in life. Do try not to mix me up with him.

All mean-spirited-but-accurate jokes about washed-out communists aside, you'd have to have had written some stellar comedy for me to allow it as an unlisted third option to my original challenge.

It's amazing, probably the most amazing post. I'll post it tonight when I get home.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Oh dear. Looking in the Trump thread, I think I want this crazy ride to stop now. Calls to violence is a bit too much for me. :stare:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

djw175 posted:

Oh dear. Looking in the Trump thread, I think I want this crazy ride to stop now. Calls to violence is a bit too much for me. :stare:

the trump thread is not only eliminating terrible posters but also measuring their terribleness with laser-like precision

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

RACHET posted:

It's amazing, probably the most amazing post. I'll post it tonight when I get home.

Since you got probated in the interim, I'll give you until tomorrow morning.

djw175 posted:

We're doing out best to clamp down on that. I suppose it was only a matter of time, people become who they pretend to be and all that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wow. Welp. I never figure boosted would come back much less incite violence

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yinlock posted:

the trump thread is not only eliminating terrible posters but also measuring their terribleness with laser-like precision
Well be honest, can you really be that surprised about paranoid violent posts from people who are unironically for Trump in October 2016? :shrug:

Asimo has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Oct 18, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yinlock posted:

the best part has been seeing the venn diagram of 'people willing to vocally support trump' and 'people who will get probated for saying racist bullshit' narrow into basically a circle

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

RACHET posted:

All right I gave you some extra time since you got probated last night, but I'm running out of patience here on this mod challenge.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

All right I gave you some extra time since you got probated last night, but I'm running out of patience here on this mod challenge.

2nite

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm toxxing for Hillary. Because if Trump does win I'm going to have a lot more things to worry about than giving lowtax another :10bux:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm toxxing for Hillary. Because if Trump does win I'm going to have a lot more things to worry about than giving lowtax another :10bux:

so brave. wow

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hey, there's plenty more room on the bandwagon!

Abuela welcomes all to the pre-victory party.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So what supplementary materials will everyone be following before/during/after the debate?
I've recently heard about Chapo Trap House and that they're doing a live thing during the debate

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Each election year since 1940, Scholastic has administered the Scholastic Student Vote, a national mock presidential election. The results of the Student Vote have been correct in all but two elections, 1948 (Truman vs. Dewey) and 1960 (Kennedy vs. Nixon).

quote:

The Democratic former first lady and U.S. senator garnered 52% to Republican real estate developer Donald Trump’s 35%. In all, Clinton, who is surging in the grown-up polls, carried enough states to win an eye-popping 436 electoral votes to Trump's 99.

Clinton needs just 270 electoral votes to win, and the poll-tracking website fivethirtyeight.com on Monday put her total as high as 345 electoral votes.

Among schoolchildren, Clinton carried nearly every battleground state: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Ohio. She also carried Alaska, Idaho, Texas and Utah, all traditionally red states.

Trump, who this week trails in virtually every real-life poll, carried Iowa and 15 reliably red states.

But this year’s fraught election cycle brought a few unexpected results. “Other” candidates — write-ins as well as third-party candidates Gary Johnson and Jill Stein — garnered 13% of the vote, an unusually high percentage. In years past, they've never risen above 5%. “Other” candidates this year actually edged out both Clinton and Trump in the District of Columbia to earn three electoral votes.

:getin:

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

I'll be home in a couple hours to post.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

almost as brave as original

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

SirPhoebos posted:

Are you implying that Trump has a chance at this point?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Thump! posted:

Are you implying that Trump has a chance at this point?

Yeah it's like that post was made a month ago and was just stuck in the matrix or smth

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So what supplementary materials will everyone be following before/during/after the debate?
I've recently heard about Chapo Trap House and that they're doing a live thing during the debate

The last one was not good. I'm going to find the Gawker/Jezebel/Deadspin thread.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I will almost certainly be going to the same local lesbian bar where they stream RuPaul's Drag Race every week to watch Iron Abuela spread her cold blue influence from coast to coast while getting hammered with crusty Stonewall era veterans.

But failing that, I always suggest the Freep thread on such glorious occasions as these. Keepin it 1600 will probably be suitably celebratory. And, of course, you would be remiss if you did not check out /r/politics for the normally terrible Reddit take and /r/the_donald for the extraordinarily terrible Reddit take.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm drinking with at least two Canadian cabinet ministers election night. I love my job sometimes

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Early voting opens in TN today, gonna take my abuela to go vote for President Abuela

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Mail in ballots start coming out today in Oregon. Gonna vote for Hillary and weed taxes :toot:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

The notion of things being rigged is bigger than Trump, though. People have been cynical about politics for a long time, obviously, but you can't ignore the amping-up of aggression.

It's comforting and feels like common sense to say everything will go back to normal but idk

Trump has drawn a pretty sizable crowd of people that believe every conspiracy in the book of Alex Jones, and even worse they approach things that aren't conspiracies as if they are. I've seen Trump supporters looking into the backgrounds of Obama appointments and seeing that they have worked with other politicians before and acting as if they have exposed a grand conspiracy, rather than the obvious fact that politicians have to establish their career before getting assigned jobs by the President.

Pretty much all their suspicion of Hillary is down to her being connected to and communicating with powerful people, which is literally the job of the president but something they react to as if it proves the existence of the Illuminati. There is no way things are going to work out well with such a sizable portion of voters so deeply lost to paranoia and nonsensical fantasy. They have taken libertarian mistrust of government to such an extreme that any functional power structure is considered evil. Democracy might just be completely broken at this point.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
eventually they will just devolve into shouting "illuminati confirmed!" at anything vaguely triangular

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Venom Snake posted:

I changed my avatar when I was really drunk. Is there anyway I can get my Lyin Crooked Hill tag back for perma-toxxing?

I'm a little disappointed that RACHET whiffed so badly, so how's about this: If either of you want to take a crack at the mod challenge I offered him a few pages ago, there'sprobablya gang tag in it for you.

Instant Sunrise posted:

eventually they will just devolve into shouting "illuminati confirmed!" at anything vaguely triangular

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBX6aEzEz8

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ZPiR4RxE8

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm a little disappointed that RACHET whiffed so badly, so how's about this: If either of you want to take a crack at the mod challenge I offered him a few pages ago, there'sprobablya gang tag in it for you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:perfect:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Nice!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

civil war, Pecker vs Wood who's side are you on

i'm with Wood

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm late to the toxx train, but I have faith in Abuela to forgive me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexenmexen
May 15, 2016

by exmarx

Moon Atari posted:

Trump has drawn a pretty sizable crowd of people that believe every conspiracy in the book of Alex Jones, and even worse they approach things that aren't conspiracies as if they are. I've seen Trump supporters looking into the backgrounds of Obama appointments and seeing that they have worked with other politicians before and acting as if they have exposed a grand conspiracy, rather than the obvious fact that politicians have to establish their career before getting assigned jobs by the President.

Pretty much all their suspicion of Hillary is down to her being connected to and communicating with powerful people, which is literally the job of the president but something they react to as if it proves the existence of the Illuminati. There is no way things are going to work out well with such a sizable portion of voters so deeply lost to paranoia and nonsensical fantasy. They have taken libertarian mistrust of government to such an extreme that any functional power structure is considered evil. Democracy might just be completely broken at this point.

Isn't this the problem though, that the conspiracies have crossed into realities, and people are just willing to dismiss them because,oh well that's what politicians do.

• Locked thread