Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Novum posted:

Whats the sweet spot for int and fth numbers when you're going pyro? Like bare minimum for the most amount of dope poo poo and trying to have points leftover to use cool weapons.

i think it'd be a cumulative value of 60 between INT and FTH if you're talking bare minimums. i seem to recall that the damage scaling for pyro treats INT and FTH as the same "pool" of points, so you could do something like 40 INT / 20 FTH and be just as effective as someone else with a different stat allocation. it's the absolute value of 60 that's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Do people on consoles also have issues with phantoms being blindingly bright? Because I've been seeing that much more frequently on PC, as well as phantoms being completely black. I did just limit my FPS to 30, but that couldn't mess things up, could it? I'd love a fix for that in any case.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i think it'd be a cumulative value of 60 between INT and FTH if you're talking bare minimums. i seem to recall that the damage scaling for pyro treats INT and FTH as the same "pool" of points, so you could do something like 40 INT / 20 FTH and be just as effective as someone else with a different stat allocation. it's the absolute value of 60 that's important.

You're probably thinking of how Fire ATK worked in DS2. 40/40 seems to be where you want to hit in DS3.

DS2 was a lot more transparent about how catalyst power worked.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

thanks to the DLC, ADELBERT STEINER will now have all the basic elemental swords at his disposal :unsmith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Hah, I have a character with similar stats (35 for Int/fth). Guess 18 is just a good breakpoint for elemental builds. If you haven't I recommend playing around with the fire witch halberd (can't remember the actual name atm); it's fun to mix in sorceries with weapon strikes even if it isn't always the most effective.

I have some gold coins, I'll go back to Irithyll and see if I can't get it to drop. 18's a weird number to sit at, but with Chaos weapons 30+ for int/fth scale it way harder anyway. 420 damage or so at the moment (only stopped at 30 because I finished the game tbh, going to go for 40/40). I'll just crank attunement up to get a fifth slot, then play around with the great and flashswords.

I guess that means I should use the crystal chime? Or is the canvas talisman still my best bet? Miracles for me are mostly just healing or status curing.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 18, 2016

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
got the 25th off, lets do this boys

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I no longer care about the majority of the DLC, I'm super into that Undead Match thing.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
What level are you guys going into the DLC as? I'm hoping I won't have to make a new character since all my dudes are PvP leveled.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

That spoiler at 8 minutes :stare:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

HellCopter posted:

What level are you guys going into the DLC as? I'm hoping I won't have to make a new character since all my dudes are PvP leveled.

its probably going to be end game content like every other souls series dlc so whatever level you beat the game as.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

HellCopter posted:

I'm going to use a lvl 120 character, so I'm playing through new games until I'm no longer overleveled. I'll probably stop at NG+5 or so!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I no longer give a poo poo about the meta so I'm going into the DLC at whatever level I'm at.

My new policy is level vitality until you don't have to waste a ring slot on fashion.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My build is a Pursuer cosplay but it's ruined by his Greatshield being 14 frickin' units, so I just use a tiny shield instead and go for the 'he has like six weapons in his pack so use all of em' aesthetic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogart posted:

My build is a Pursuer cosplay but it's ruined by his Greatshield being 14 frickin' units, so I just use a tiny shield instead and go for the 'he has like six weapons in his pack so use all of em' aesthetic.

I want the Pursuer to pop up in the dlc and jump you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

I no longer care about the majority of the DLC, I'm super into that Undead Match thing.

Something I'm wondering about is if we get access to the arena when the patch drops as opposed to when the DLC unlocks. I guess we'll see on the 21st.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Paracelsus posted:

You're probably thinking of how Fire ATK worked in DS2. 40/40 seems to be where you want to hit in DS3.

DS2 was a lot more transparent about how catalyst power worked.

so pyromancy is the refined build for spell casters, gotcha.

fashion tax is also a huge bummer if you are a piddly caster who wants to use the MLGS. I can two-hand it just fine with 12 STR, but the thing is also 11 units or so of weight, and for a character with no investment in vitality, it means I'm back to wearing robes and rags and poo poo to stay under 70%.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I hope we get Tranquil Walk of Peace in this dlc.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The effect ID is still defined, but I'm not sure it inflicts the slow nowadays.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Man the new weapons look pretty nice. I wonder if the boss weapons will continue their trend of sucking, though. Well, save for the gladius/shield combo, that looks nice.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

You guys think it'll be a bad idea to do the DLC at NG+3 or 4? Main content actually doesn't seem so bad at that level.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't know why anyone would do ng+3 in the first place tbh

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Guw posted:

You guys think it'll be a bad idea to do the DLC at NG+3 or 4? Main content actually doesn't seem so bad at that level.

Who knows until it comes out, really.

A couple of the Bloodborne DLC bosses were hard as a motherfucker.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

Guw posted:

I'm doing it at NG+5 with a level 220 character so you'll be saner than me either way.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't know why anyone would do ng+3 in the first place tbh

I went into NG+3 to get the dragonslayer axe. Totally worth it IMO.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Someone finally figured out how double ears are awarded: they're given for killing Rosaria's Fingers, not Aldrich Faithful. That actually does make more sense lorewise. Sirris, for example, expresses extreme hatred of the Fingers but never mentions the Faithfuls.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

...! posted:

Someone finally figured out how double ears are awarded: they're given for killing Rosaria's Fingers, not Aldrich Faithful. That actually does make more sense lorewise. Sirris, for example, expresses extreme hatred of the Fingers but never mentions the Faithfuls.

Oh, that's good to know, for the next time I get summoned. Somewhere in 2017.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should really double the hp the Abyss Watchers have or something, they die so quickly but they're so fun and cool to fight.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Jan posted:

Oh, that's good to know, for the next time I get summoned. Somewhere in 2017.

Of course, since the default invasion award is tongues anyway, wearing the Fingers covenant emblem is pointless. So most invaders don't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I STILL can't avoid the goddamn overhead swing from the lucerne. I beat the invader, but what a pain that weapon is.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

...! posted:

see, that still never made sense to me. Aldrich is the whole reason that the Blue Sentinels no longer have their knight-captain (gwyndolin) so I would think that the blue sentinels should at least hate both Aldrich faithful and Rosaria's Fingers.

I know that in-game the blue team has existed to combat the red team in pvp stuff, but you'd think they'd work the lore to be more consistent with the game mechanics.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Doing a hollowed carthas curved greatsword luck build, for an off hand what's better, the claw or manakin claw?

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

queeb posted:

Doing a hollowed carthas curved greatsword luck build, for an off hand what's better, the claw or manakin claw?

Definitely Hollow Claw - it has the onislayer leap weapon art which has tonnes of poise, is a guaranteed bleed proc and does lots of damage in general. The manikin claws' dash is useful in the deep swamps, but hardly in fights. Other than the leap weapon art, the best attacks with the Claw are the running L1s and rolling attacks since they have surprising reach.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Jordbo posted:

Definitely Hollow Claw - it has the onislayer leap weapon art which has tonnes of poise, is a guaranteed bleed proc and does lots of damage in general. The manikin claws' dash is useful in the deep swamps, but hardly in fights. Other than the leap weapon art, the best attacks with the Claw are the running L1s and rolling attacks since they have surprising reach.

Yeah, that leaping slash on the claw is no joke. I got basically oneshot trying to charge-r2 through it with a halberd (Swordspear) at 24 vitality.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Porcine Shield -- if you're using one of the best weapons in the game, you should have the worst shield in the game to stare at you in deep, silent disappointment.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Jordbo posted:

Does the leaping slash work when its offhand? or would you main hand it and just switch between the two. I was thinking offhand hollow for the +5 luck.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

queeb posted:

You should use the warden twin blades instead, a lot better at causing bleed.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
nothing beats carthus curved sword simply because of its ability to catch dodges. warden twin blades have a shorter reach and not very good at catching people so its mainly better for pve.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What about using the black blade or some other katana? Is that viable? Because a katana and a claw sounds like a cool as gently caress combo.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
straight swords and katanas are up there with carthus curved sword, carthus is just considered the best. the pvp balance in this game is basically rear end currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Totally gonna make a ninja. So, with a hollow / bleed build, you only really need like 20 points in luck and the hollowing takes care of the rest? Then just pump whatever stats you want right?