Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cartouche posted:

The se30 is black/white. Not even greyscale for photo work.

:eng101: Photoshop was based on a program created to allow images to be used on the black and white Mac using dithering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

:eng101: Photoshop was based on a program created to allow images to be used on the black and white Mac using dithering

Interesting. I am surprised however, in light of the other modern upgrades available, that someone hasn't simply created a new greyscale option.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I seem to recall that there is an incredibly rare video card for the SE/30 that worked with the internal monitor somehow.

That said, you could much more easily use an external monitor instead.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a site that's the equivalent of Swappa for Mac hardware? I'm looking to sell a 2015 MBP with as little hassle as possible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

terre packet posted:

Is there a site that's the equivalent of Swappa for Mac hardware? I'm looking to sell a 2015 MBP with as little hassle as possible.

Gazelle?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I seem to recall that there is an incredibly rare video card for the SE/30 that worked with the internal monitor somehow.

That said, you could much more easily use an external monitor instead.

This is correct.

Because I'm on the hunt for one right now :ninja:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

More rumor bullshit:

Apple still plans to announce its new MacBook Pro "in the month" with shipments to begin at the end of October, according to new information shared by Japanese site Mac Otakara.

Citing a "reliable Chinese supplier," the site says that Apple will launch both 13 and 15-inch models, continuing to offer the machine in the same sizes available today. Apple is also expected to launch a new 13-inch MacBook Air, but will not debut a new 11-inch MacBook Air machine.

Both the new MacBook Pro models, which will replace existing models, and the new 13-inch MacBook Air are said to include USB-C ports and Thunderbolt 3 support.

Previous rumors and part leaks have suggested the upcoming MacBook Pro will include[ four USB-C ports, doing away with an SD card slot, an HDMI port, USB-A ports, and a MagSafe connection.

RIP magsafe

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol "Pro"

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Will this Euro adapter for my MBP charger be safe to use? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Travel-Euro...NAAAOSw65FXsyUO

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unless it's somehow horribly miswired inside that should be fine. The bricks themselves will work on both 110 and 220.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah there's nothing that can really go wrong in that part I think. Having the powerblocks run on 100-240v was a really smart move.

If you're traveling to the UK at all, you'll need another adapter too as that's a different socket again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, maybe in a week you get to believe..

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

All that's missing is a Steve-jobs-thinking-pose.jpg in a corner.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That MacBook looks fuckin ugly and I don't "get" the led bar.

eames
May 9, 2009

Please don't be thinner, please don't be thinner... :pray:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eames posted:

Please don't be thinner, please don't be thinner... :pray:

Please give us a spec bump imac that doesn't force me make me fork out an extra $200 for freaking normal usual able SSD or hybrid drive...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

This. How the gently caress would Apple even think of adding something so dumb.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
iMac

Edit: when?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I hope Apple stops making bad computers and makes super good ones.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

maybe there'll never be new macbook pros. maybe the 2015 models are the final step and apple is just going in for a victory lap

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If they made a MBP that was just 2015 hardware but user upgradable like a 2009 I'd buy four.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

If they made a MBP that was just 2015 hardware but user upgradable like a 2009 I'd buy four.

Problem is Apple is going the opposite direction. No user serviceable parts. No upgrades. What you buy is what you get until the next purchase.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
iPad Pro is the new mbp.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Problem is Apple is going the opposite direction. No user serviceable parts. No upgrades. What you buy is what you get until the next purchase.

i'd be ok with that if they would just use a standard m.2 ssd

all other components can be maxed out at purchase or don't increase that much in the lifetime of a laptop, but there is always going to be a bigger ssd 2 years after you buy your laptop

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Personal computers are a dying market. You gotta stick extra poo poo on them to keep people's interest.

It's been so loving long since we've had new Macs and there's so much pent up demand. Flash forward 3 months and everyone will be remembering why you never buy the first version of anything Apple puts out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple Event to announce the new rMBP's is supposedly set for Oct. 27th.

http://www.recode.net/2016/10/18/13323264/apple-new-macs-october-27

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cartouche posted:

Thought perhaps this might be a good place to ask this, even though it is rather more software than hardware.

Vintage mac time. When I started out in commercial printing, we had a compact mac (probably a SE or SE/30) that was used for typesetting and the occasional game of Dark Castle. In a fit of nostalgia I dug out one I had been given to me by a client ages ago. It turned out to be a Performa 200. For some dumb reason that was not nostalgic enough for me, so I bought a SE/30 off of ebay and am soon to remove the MB and have it recapped.

I have already began dumping money into it's semi-dead state:
http://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/
http://www.bigmessowires.com/mac-rom-inator-ii/
8x https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/30PS16MB/

If I stop and think on it too much, it occurs to me that all in all it is a bit of overkill. So I am asking this somewhat to offset that line of thinking:
What software from back then would be the most hardware intensive, to put this through it's paces?

I had thought CAD, which would be neat as I do some modern-day 2D CAD at my job.

Crossposting in the vintage games thread.

If you can find a copy of Informix Wingz the graphing features might do the job. The old Vanlandingham 3d bouncing ball demo was what I put on the Macintosh Portable to show off the lovely active matrix LCD.

EDIT: Heh, there's a Youtube video of it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3fybaJ9qRg

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think the OLED strip is cool and good if it's done properly.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Housh posted:

I hope Apple stops making bad computers and makes super good ones.

I'm seriously curious - what are the folks who maintain that the current Macs suck looking for in the new ones? Or is this a "I don't know what I want but I know it's not THAT" kind of thing?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

More rumor bullshit:

Apple still plans to announce its new MacBook Pro "in the month" with shipments to begin at the end of October, according to new information shared by Japanese site Mac Otakara.

Citing a "reliable Chinese supplier," the site says that Apple will launch both 13 and 15-inch models, continuing to offer the machine in the same sizes available today. Apple is also expected to launch a new 13-inch MacBook Air, but will not debut a new 11-inch MacBook Air machine.

Both the new MacBook Pro models, which will replace existing models, and the new 13-inch MacBook Air are said to include USB-C ports and Thunderbolt 3 support.

Previous rumors and part leaks have suggested the upcoming MacBook Pro will include[ four USB-C ports, doing away with an SD card slot, an HDMI port, USB-A ports, and a MagSafe connection.

RIP magsafe

I can live with the USB-C ports but why the MagSafe connection? The MagSafe is one of the top reasons to have a Mac Laptop

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Visually I think the only thing that's super dated is the big bezel. I'm not thrilled with whatever weird OLED panel thing only because i don't need it and it will make it cost more.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I'm guessing there will be an optional $40 magsafe type C cable to increase customization and optimize the customer experience

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The hinges on my mid-2012 MBP broke. :(

I can't seem to find any replacement hinges on Amazon, and it's beginning to fail in other ways too, so I'm wondering if it isn't just time to lay this baby to rest and upgrade. Is there any sort of resource I can turn to for smaller parts like these? Failing that, it's refurb time, I guess.

(It's always the hinges. Every laptop I've owned has died because of the hinges...)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

The hinges on my mid-2012 MBP broke. :(

I can't seem to find any replacement hinges on Amazon, and it's beginning to fail in other ways too, so I'm wondering if it isn't just time to lay this baby to rest and upgrade. Is there any sort of resource I can turn to for smaller parts like these? Failing that, it's refurb time, I guess.

(It's always the hinges. Every laptop I've owned has died because of the hinges...)

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1278+Left+Clutch+Hinge+Replacement/9164

$39.95 each? gently caress.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress it, I'll just get a new one. I'll have to get the data off this SSD first, though.

Edit: refurb does not mean cheap :gonk:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 19, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm seriously curious - what are the folks who maintain that the current Macs suck looking for in the new ones? Or is this a "I don't know what I want but I know it's not THAT" kind of thing?

Macbook Air screen is super outdated both in resolution and color, brightness, and viewing angle. Bezels are universally bigger than their nice windows competitors, making the Macbook Air or Pro feel bulky and un-svelte in most comparisons, which is strange. The CPUs are out of date, and Windows has finally come a long way on battery life to where that's a competitive race.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I would find it odd if the Air got a retina screen and USB-c but kept the same general form factor. I would expect nothing less than a bigger MacBook (14" maybe?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, well, assuming I do upgrade, when's the best time to do it relative to right now? Is it worth waiting for a new model to come out, or do I just bite the refurb bullet? Especially since I'm computerless until then.