Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

The Shortest Path posted:

Weren't the Commander spoilers supposed to start earlier today? What happened to those?

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/151943847778/commander-2016-preview-is-a-week-from-today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:rip: my hopes and dreams

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
LSV rocking Metalwork Colossus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7MDMFf31R4

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014
That deck is so much fun, but it folds really hard to control matchups, and seems likely those are going to be thicker on the ground now, even if most of them will be played sub-optimally.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

it's also got a ton of hate in most sideboards probably, and the colossii don't trample either :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone headed to the SCG Milwaukee modern open?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

ShaneB posted:

Anyone headed to the SCG Milwaukee modern open?

I will be sprinting to the convention center when I wake up 20 minutes before the players meeting.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

I will be sprinting to the convention center when I wake up 20 minutes before the players meeting.

Cool. I'm going alone this time and would like some people to talk to between rounds if you're game, or anyone else is.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:rip: my hopes and dreams

It's fine, your 4 colored generals are just going to be Nephilim with Legendary slapped on them.

:haw:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'll be at GP Providence if anyone wants to say hi.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

It's fine, your 4 colored generals are just going to be Nephilim with Legendary slapped on them.

:haw:

I'd still prefer that to another Oloro/Derevi/etc. cycle, to be honest.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'd still prefer that to another Oloro/Derevi/etc. cycle, to be honest.

Well hopefully it isn't a Nephilim cycle and we get something Cool and Good™

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I've discovered my new magic based pet peeve. I'm in the Magic Pro Tutor podcast facebook group, and on more than one occasion people have said that Smuggler's Copter of vehicles in general can go in any deck. When I point out that it's not actually true, they respond with "Well, it's colorless so yes it can go in any deck."

Holy poo poo it makes me so angry, I know it's dumb, but jesus people, THINK for one second.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elblanco posted:

I've discovered my new magic based pet peeve. I'm in the Magic Pro Tutor podcast facebook group, and on more than one occasion people have said that Smuggler's Copter of vehicles in general can go in any deck. When I point out that it's not actually true, they respond with "Well, it's colorless so yes it can go in any deck."

Holy poo poo it makes me so angry, I know it's dumb, but jesus people, THINK for one second.

If you take a completely literally approach, any standard legal card can go in any deck. It may not be playable or good there. If you take a subjective view, then being colorless means it can be cast in literally every known deck is a perfectly fine assumption to make, especially when we're talking about standard decks - there are no standard decks that couldn't crew it that are any part of the known meta.

:v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/5849us/modern_cheating_xposted_from_rtronmtg/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGAafJI4i08&t=1352s

Cheater cheated multiple times on camera in separate matches by rushing through turns and not even presenting decks. He fetches and moves sideboard cards (crumble to dust in the link) and fake shuffles and does it while opponent is doing something else. The cheater won the pptq.

Its sickening how common cheating and how hard it is to spot. Always shuffle your opponents deck in comp rel. Don't let your opponent touch their deck for long periods of time while you do other stuff.

Just gross.

Oh yeah... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLXMBKkR9sA&t=1016s if you can't spot the cheating here you shouldn't play comp rel.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 19, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't think I've cheated in a game of Magic since I was in sixth grade and really wanted to assemble my Ivory Tower-Land Tax combo. The number of dubious 3+ card combos my buddies assembled suggested I wasn't alone.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
When I was a dumb kid I ran a rabid wombat deck. Mysteriously, I always had a rabid wombat in my starting hand.

I also lost 100% of all games with that deck, it was awful.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Sickening posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/5849us/modern_cheating_xposted_from_rtronmtg/

Cheater cheated multiple times on camera in separate matches by rushing through turns and not even presenting decks. He fetches and moves sideboard cards (crumble to dust in the link) and fake shuffles and does it while opponent is doing something else. The cheater won the pptq.

Its sickening how common cheating and how hard it is to spot. Always shuffle your opponents deck in comp rel. Don't let your opponent touch their deck for long periods of time while you do other stuff.

Just gross.

Oh yeah... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLXMBKkR9sA&t=1016s if you can't spot the cheating here you shouldn't play comp rel.

Oh god the flicking......

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
I recognize his opponent. He's a local grinder and pretty nice guy, he even congratulated the guy who beat him on facebook. So this is a little local drama for me to chat up at FNM now, too. heh

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I don't understand why cheatfucker didn't cast the crumble turn 4?

e: ooooh, so he could pretend he loving topdecked :\

I hadn't gotten to the point where he finally cast it.

What a piece of poo poo.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 19, 2016

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Sigma-X posted:

I don't understand why cheatfucker didn't cast the crumble turn 4?

That's actually good cheating. If you have the perfect card as soon as possible too often people will get suspicious faster.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Just gross.

The guy did allow himself to be cheated for no reason. Why any magic player wouldn't cut their opponent's deck after every fetch is beyond me.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Lol if you don't follow the sage advice of Jesse "The Body" Ventura.

"Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat"

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
The true crime is all that loving card flicking

edit: here's another from reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5G_o1IYsc&t=267s

he fetches for basic island, puts it on the battlefield, then realizes he forgot to cheat, puts the island back in his deck, casts something else to distract his opponent, leans back in his chair off camera to stack the electrolyze he needs to off his opponents' glistener elf and blighted agent, then grabs the same island.

edit2: he slyly actually offers his deck for his opponent to cut, remembering that he had declined to cut it during a previous fetch and sure enough he hears "you're good"

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 19, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Lol if you don't follow the sage advice of Jesse "The Body" Ventura.

"Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat"

Oh, will you stop?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The guy did allow himself to be cheated for no reason. Why any magic player wouldn't cut their opponent's deck after every fetch is beyond me.

It's a sign of being friendly. Though doing that at Competitive is pretty loving dumb.

I know quite a few grinders who have said that if their opponent doesnt cut their deck that stuff like this is legitimate sense hey man it's their fault for not cutting like they are supposed too!

Always cut, and if your playing at game day and above shuffle too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

anglachel posted:

It's a sign of being friendly. Though doing that at Competitive is pretty loving dumb.

I know quite a few grinders who have said that if their opponent doesnt cut their deck that stuff like this is legitimate sense hey man it's their fault for not cutting like they are supposed too!

I playtest with a bunch of my very good friends and we cut each other's deck every time even in meaningless games. The idea that not cutting is friendly is silly.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Unless goatbot is acting up, they are buying aether hubs for over a dollar.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

anglachel posted:

Gameday and above? What the gently caress, it's a regular rel event like FNM and a prerelease.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Cactrot posted:

Gameday and above? What the gently caress, it's a regular rel event like FNM and a prerelease.

People probably become a bit more willing to cheat at gameday since there's cooler promos and a playmat on the line.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Giving your opponent's deck 3 shuffles takes like 2 seconds

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

Yeah dude it's the victim's fault here.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if he had a gun this never would have happened

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah dude it's the victim's fault here.

It's something that could've easily been prevented.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

"If she hadn't been dressed like that, she wouldn't have gotten raped." - mcmagic, probably.essentially.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 19, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Although this is true, sneaky shits like this need to be babysat at all times.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

having to keep track of whether or not your opponent is cheating shouldnt be a thing you need to do

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

having to keep track of whether or not your opponent is cheating shouldn't be a thing you need to do

To play competitive magic in paper in the real world, its kind of the reality.

I do agree with you though.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, by the cheater not cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLXMBKkR9sA&t=1016s if you can't spot the cheating here you shouldn't play comp rel.

I guess this is why I only play EDH and Modern casuals now.

• Locked thread