Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Do not even ask posted:

Does your N64 have a serial # that starts with "NS1"? If it doesn't, it gets way more tricky and expensive since you need to get specialized board since the later models of the n64 don't natively produce rgb signals in the video chip.

Otherwise it's just as easy as making the same DIY rgb amp set for a SNES Mini with the only issue being trying to get it all to fit between the bottom RF shielding and the mobo.

My N64 has a NS106084920 serial number, as it was bought probably a month after launch. So I thankfully don't need to use the more expensive mod. How tricky is it to solder? Do I need some special tool or I can use a ironer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody else attend Retro World Expo in CT this weekend? I thought it was decent. Good variety, but the venue itself was weird. Bad lighting and stuff, but small grievances.

I picked up the following:

Aerobiz (SNES)
Madden 98 (SNES)
TMNT Mutant Warriors (SFC, aka Tournament Fighters in all other regions)
Super Tetris 2 & 3 (SFC)
Ghostbusters (Famicom)
Mike Tyson's Punchout (Famicom)
Exerion (Famicom)
Super Star Pro Wrestling (Famicom)

And to round it all out, my first 32X! Now I just need games for it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

xamphear posted:

It's a shame no one has been able to figure out a PS2 hard or soft mod to allow booting of PS1 games from some sort of solid state storage. There's the pops thing but that's emulation and not great. A PS1 with PSIO would have been the ideal future-proof solution, with no moving parts, but alas...

Eh, you can do it on a hacked PS3.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

xamphear posted:

It's a shame no one has been able to figure out a PS2 hard or soft mod to allow booting of PS1 games from some sort of solid state storage. There's the pops thing but that's emulation and not great. A PS1 with PSIO would have been the ideal future-proof solution, with no moving parts, but alas...

There's always a PSP-2000/3000 with the component cables, or a Vita TV.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Unless something has changed recently (and I hope it has), the PS3 is almost impossible to hack unless you left it on a firmware from 2011 and never put it on the internet ever.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

yeah the weird hot dog is the only thing I've eaten here that wasn't both delicious and cheap, though I have been sticking to stereotypical japanese stuff. the "curry" really does kick rear end

also to be entirely fair to Japan they definitely differentiate between Japanese curry and curry from other countries.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On the subject of PS2 I am immensely satisfied with my microsd mod. Total cost was something like $30, provided a free PS2 hdd enclosure someone threw away at Gamestop, and for PS1 games I can burn discs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last I heard, hacked PS3s still have the whole encrypted hard drive bullshit going on, with an onboard decryption chipset for the PS3 itself that is very slow, which means that you lose a lot of the performance of an SSD over a regular hard drive.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

fishmech posted:

Last I heard, hacked PS3s still have the whole encrypted hard drive bullshit going on, with an onboard decryption chipset for the PS3 itself that is very slow, which means that you lose a lot of the performance of an SSD over a regular hard drive.

PS3 is sata 1 so you won't get benefits from SSD. The encryption is moot once hacked for psx/ps2 as you ftp games over loaders fool the system into loading the image.

As for hacking them if you have a hackable model you can hardmod and flash them

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
drat, I might just break down and get the NES modded after all. It pricey, but I was watching videos of it modded and drat does it look good. At least if I did this with Monitor Burn, I could get the N64 modded at the same time.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I own a Sega CD again for the first time since the 90s. Now to try to get a 32X for less than a stupid amount of money people are trying to ask for now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They're like $40 or less with most of the cables.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Elliotw2 posted:

It's weird - five years ago at SC3, there was this dude who was pushing HARD on selling me his 32X and 5 games for $5 so I took it. Six months later, I ended up buying a Model 2 set for $40...

... but last night, I pulled the trigger on a Model 2 Genesis with a not-lovely encoder for $65.

I hate the market.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Elliotw2 posted:

Where are you seeing these at? Most I am seeing are around $80 which is way more than is worth. I'd gladly pay $40.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Just going through ebay. I'm seeing ones for $50ish that are refurbished, though they don't have the ($10) patch cable or the power supply. I personally like to take gambles on untested cart systems, since they're either obviously broken, a disconnected cable, or perfectly functional and you get get untested 32x's by themselves for $30-40 and the PSU and patch cable for another $15.

I guess the price has shot up overall in the past 6 months, though I got no idea why.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Alternative SCART switcher is up for preorder. Pricey as hell though, just bringing it up to people's attentions.

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=171

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kid Fenris posted:

Everyone knows the best Final Fantasy is The Spirits Within because Roger Ebert liked it better than most video games.

Question: what's the silliest piece of video-game merchandise you've bought? Don't count stuff you got as free promotional trinkets; this would be something you specifically sought out and purchased.

I ask because I bought this and want to feel better about it.

I bought a bunch of broken Mario and Sonic action figures and lego (megablox?) figurines and cut their heads off to make ornaments for a Christmas tree in the basement. Iirc I still haven't discarded the bodies.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Weird question, but is there any sort of recommended lubricant to use on AV ports? The port and cable combo I have is very tight, to the point where it seems like plugging and unplugging might cause damage over time.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Ofecks posted:

Also at some point they ran with a gag where the toppings were some seriously wacky poo poo. The only one I can remember was linguine and clam sauce.

Cinemassacre actually did a ninja turtles pizza taste test. They went through every episode, made the pizzas, and had their friends eat them and give their opinions. It's pretty funny.

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/05/19/tmnt-pizza-taste-test/

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Quiet Feet posted:

I bought a bunch of broken Mario and Sonic action figures and lego (megablox?) figurines and cut their heads off to make ornaments for a Christmas tree in the basement. Iirc I still haven't discarded the bodies.

Retro Gaming Megathread: Iirc I still haven't discarded the bodies.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

beaver_cheese posted:

Weird question, but is there any sort of recommended lubricant to use on AV ports? The port and cable combo I have is very tight, to the point where it seems like plugging and unplugging might cause damage over time.

Most of the 8-pin DIN plugs I've run into are super tight, I always assumed they were designed that way to ensure a good connection.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
DIN plugs are made to a standard of breaking the PCB they're mounted on before breaking themselves, I have witnessed.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

beaver_cheese posted:

Don't lube your av ports or connectors.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

MrLonghair posted:

DIN plugs are made to a standard of breaking the PCB they're mounted on before breaking themselves, I have witnessed.

That's exactly what I'm worried about.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

beaver_cheese posted:

That's exactly what I'm worried about.
Your image is of a through-hole DIN connector. It's not going to break off the board. Worst case scenario is that you get some fractured solder joints in the far distant future and it takes a couple seconds with a hot iron to touch them up.

AV Ports are metal on metal electronic connectors, just like the cartridge slot is. Would you lube up a cart slot? Lube is either going to be an insulator (blocking signals) or a conductor (bridging or short circuiting signals) and is just going to break down over time and gum up the parts.

Don't lube your AV Ports.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Elliotw2 posted:

There's always a PSP-2000/3000 with the component cables, or a Vita TV.

Still emulation in these cases, though. Very good emulation, but emulation. PS2 has the PS1 chip inside, though. PS2 and PS1 are the only native ways to play PS1 games, I think. Right?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

e:disregard this post

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

oh noooo

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

xamphear posted:

Still emulation in these cases, though. Very good emulation, but emulation. PS2 has the PS1 chip inside, though. PS2 and PS1 are the only native ways to play PS1 games, I think. Right?

Specifically the fat Ps2, since the slim moved to a software heavy solution.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Cinemassacre actually did a ninja turtles pizza taste test. They went through every episode, made the pizzas, and had their friends eat them and give their opinions. It's pretty funny.

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/05/19/tmnt-pizza-taste-test/

Holy gently caress. Apparently I misremembered the example I gave. I like the guy at the end suggesting the sewer-themed "turd and tampon" pizza.

d0s posted:

oh noooo

Is this an arcade pcb?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Something arrived from Japan today...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beaver_cheese posted:

Clean them off with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol if they're grungy, but never try to lubricate them - and don't plug them in until they've been dried out thorughly.

Also you shouldn't be unplugging and replugging them very often especially at the console/computer end. Get a simple switch to use between the TV and the console if you're running out of plugs.

Elliotw2 posted:

Specifically the fat Ps2, since the slim moved to a software heavy solution.

No, all PS2s use the same solution: the PS1 CPU etc are used for controlling the controller and USB input/output when in PS2 mode.

It's the PS3 that used software emulation in later models, but in that case the way it works is first gen fat PS3s had all hardware emualtion for PS2, then some later fat PS3s relied on software, and all slim models lacked support altogether.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The later Slim PS2's have an ASIC and it sorts emulates the PS1 hardware instead of containing all the original chips, and it actually sorta improves some PS1 compatibility with stuff like the MGS VR disk and such.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I got one of
these things in a lot of random gaming garbage ealier this year. Anyone ever used one? I don't have an import game to try and am on the fence as to whether or not I want to start to collecting imports anyway. I've always been under the impression that you can't play JP only stuff without modding your Saturn.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ST-Keys work fine, so do Action Replays or Pseudo Saturn. The ST Key itself is kinda useless these days, since the still in production EMS 4-in-1 ActionReplay or the new Saturn Gamer's Cart replace them and have more features.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

The later Slim PS2's have an ASIC and it sorts emulates the PS1 hardware instead of containing all the original chips, and it actually sorta improves some PS1 compatibility with stuff like the MGS VR disk and such.

An ASIC is a fully hardware device - and they were using an ASIC containing the necessary components in the original PS2s as well, not really the original chips. They simply did some minor bugfixing in later Slim models at the same time they moved some other PS2 software only hardware into ASICs to achieve a smaller motherboard/less power draw.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

It's the PS3 that used software emulation in later models, but in that case the way it works is first gen fat PS3s had all hardware emualtion for PS2, then some later fat PS3s relied on software, and all slim models lacked support altogether.

There are also some fat PS3 models that cannot do PS2 at all. I remember it being super confusing because the 80GB originally had software PS2 emulation, and then they came out with an 80GB Metal Gear Solid bundle that got rid of it all together. So there would be people out there with 80GB PS3 fat systems in the US, and no PS2 compatibility at all.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah, my fat PS3 can't do PS2 emulation whatsoever.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Of course, European PS3s never had any kind of PS2 backwards compatibility in the first place. :eurovision:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doc Morbid posted:

Of course, European PS3s never had any kind of PS2 backwards compatibility in the first place. :eurovision:

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

There are also some fat PS3 models that cannot do PS2 at all. I remember it being super confusing because the 80GB originally had software PS2 emulation, and then they came out with an 80GB Metal Gear Solid bundle that got rid of it all together. So there would be people out there with 80GB PS3 fat systems in the US, and no PS2 compatibility at all.

I had forgotten that Sony pulled that level of confusing bullshit. :psyduck:

• Locked thread