Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my superpower is being able to spin so fast that my feet drill through the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
j/k i can turn into a dolphin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Whenever I think about cheese, a person somewhere suddenly gets an overwhelming desire to eat some cheese. If Max boosted my super power, everyone would be eating cheese all the time. Obviously, that would create only problems as there is not enough cheese in the world to sustain constant consumption of cheese by every single human in the world, alive and possibly even dead. Will people start killing each other in cheeseless rage once there is no cheese left in the world and every cow is dead? Who knows. This question, however, can be answered through the medium of webcomic quite effectively. Let's hope someone picks up on that little story line of mine. What do you do when you can't get what you want? Hm... Maybe people will move on to eating tofu or some other fake cheese. But for that there needs to exist a superhero who can slightly alter superpowers of others.

E: just realised that it's possible that the only reason people eat cheese at all is because there are many people with superpowers just like mine. Which raises even more questions about free will. And all this in a webcomic. Absolutely amazing.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 14, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am going to slay you

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Not to egg on you or anything, but I didn't get past the second paragraph. Maybe your theory about this webcomic is correct, though. I don't know.

loving called it. Now onto the Akira ending.

Hogge Wild posted:

lol

you're thinking about this way more than the writer and the artist are

her antagonists will always be a parade of strawmen and she will win against them because she's the strong female protagonist
Yeah, the dialogue has always been a bit stilted, people don't talk like normal people. The art has always been functional but never that great; and it's gotten less ambitious ever since it went to color. It's honestly a pretty boring series nowaday if not for this thread. And yet I keep reading because at some point the idea behind it was so fascinating.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Yeah, the dialogue has always been a bit stilted, people don't talk like normal people. The art has always been functional but never that great; and it's gotten less ambitious ever since it went to color. It's honestly a pretty boring series nowaday if not for this thread. And yet I keep reading because at some point the idea behind it was so fascinating.

It really wasn't! "What if superheroes couldn't really fix problems" is a desperately unoriginal concept, and it's paired with the even older "metahumans as an analogue for oppressed minorities" with a nauseating layer of Tumblr-class social justice issues on top. This story has only ever been notable in how it fucks up, and that's the only reason anyone sensible is still giving it the time of day - to watch it gently caress up in interesting new ways.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It really wasn't! "What if superheroes couldn't really fix problems" is a desperately unoriginal concept, and it's paired with the even older "metahumans as an analogue for oppressed minorities" with a nauseating layer of Tumblr-class social justice issues on top. This story has only ever been notable in how it fucks up, and that's the only reason anyone sensible is still giving it the time of day - to watch it gently caress up in interesting new ways.

I don't disagree but what I liked about the series when I first found it was seeing Allison cope with being a functioning member of society in her post-superhero life. Watching her deal with the various aftermaths of her taking off the cape and cowl was genuinely interesting. It's just that the series got boring after Feral and I found less reason to forget it's shortcomings as it kept clumsily plowing forward.

But even then each chapter has an interesting concept or theme behind it that gets horribly mangled by the very Allison centric narrative and flat characters. There's no neutral stance for any of the opposing ideals; the most current character Max could have just been a stuck up rich guy but instead had to also be the kind of person who is ok with exploiting illegal immigrants and whose main reason for not using his powers is being salty that he didn't get the one he wanted when he was a kid and hasn't grown past that in the following decade. So now no matter what happens there is always that little sliver in the readers mind that identifies Max as a slightly un-sympathetic character which makes anything that happens to him just a little bit ok for some. Same thing happened last chapter, everyone that Mary went after was always in the wrong, even the one hero that actively spoke out against her because as it turns out he may or may not have also been a rapist and not just a bumbling hothead.

There are better discussions about the themes of this story in random internet forums than in the actual series and that's a shame because it may not be an original concept, but it's still a good one.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Turns out the biggest problem of the comic called Strong Female Protagonist is its strong female protagonist. What a twist.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Paladinus posted:

Turns out the biggest problem of the comic called Strong Female Protagonist is its strong female protagonist. What a twist.

Well she's really only one out of those three things.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Avshalom posted:

i am going to slay you

i eagerly anticipate

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for assembling for this press conference.

*leans towards microphone*

Clevin

*leans back*

That is all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also, from the hospital roof she dosed the entire place with powerup radiation.

This will surely have no consequences at all. (honestly)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I am on the edge of my loving seat to discover just what stupid twist is going to be revealed

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Next page: they go to visit the Tetsuo of writhing regenerating flesh in the basement.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Next page: they go to visit the Tetsuo of writhing regenerating flesh in the basement.

And pluck fresh organs off it. No one addresses or is concerned by it. It is never mentioned again.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 15, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So whatever she did to make feral not an unconscious organ farm now, didn't she do that without feral's consent, too? Kind of hosed up.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I'm anticipating that Feral is going to lecture her.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Emrikol posted:

I'm anticipating that Feral is going to lecture her.

In this comic? Nah.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So do you mean to tell me that little miss "grow 20 hearts in a day" can't deal with a little fire after a couple weeks? She was moving and talking like a minute after the damage was done!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This webcomic seems real loving poo poo tbh

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

agreed, Motherfucker

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I am glad that doing a thorough criticism of Name of the Wind broke your mind in the best possible way BotL :unsmith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whole lotta nothing booooo

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-90-2/

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's the calm before the monologue.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

oh good I was thinking that this comic needed some slower pacing and less information to really build up the crushing boredom.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
"Exciting" news!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aw man i saw this earlier but only now have i spotted the jazzhands on the screen

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
drat, thanks for pointing that out because I missed that :stare:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think about the only way they could stick the landing here is if Alison decided to jack up Feral's healing abilities to the point where they can't even remove her organs. Then we have Alison putting her friend's happiness before her own wishes and it also shows Max in a better light since you could argue that the reason he didn't want to go along was that he respected the choices Feral made and didn't like the idea of stepping in and undoing that choice for her. All of a sudden you wrap up all the bullshit in a neat little bow, albeit a poorly paced bow that could have had this information at the start.

Anything else and the train does not stick the landing on the new rail it;s hurtling towards.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
At least Feral is happy for the moment. :3:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

I think about the only way they could stick the landing here is if Alison decided to jack up Feral's healing abilities to the point where they can't even remove her organs. Then we have Alison putting her friend's happiness before her own wishes and it also shows Max in a better light since you could argue that the reason he didn't want to go along was that he respected the choices Feral made and didn't like the idea of stepping in and undoing that choice for her. All of a sudden you wrap up all the bullshit in a neat little bow, albeit a poorly paced bow that could have had this information at the start.

Anything else and the train does not stick the landing on the new rail it;s hurtling towards.

A lot of people in the comments seem dead set on hosed up ideas like "They cut her head off and now there's two ferals!" :stonk:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There's not a lot to go on at this point but I'm gonna guess yeah it's in that neighborhood, that they cut out self-regenerating immortal organs and basically have a permanent organ bank. No that does not make any sense.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If that would be the case that her organs regenerate outside of her body there needs to be a scene of tiny Ferals bursting out of people's chest like Alien.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nuebot posted:

A lot of people in the comments seem dead set on hosed up ideas like "They cut her head off and now there's two ferals!" :stonk:

This is real. This is exactly what's happened. And the author thinks it's very clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Paladinus posted:

This is real. This is exactly what's happened. And the author thinks it's very clever.

I don't think so. At least I hope not. It looks like her hair is starting to grow crazy fast though, it starts off at her shoulders and it's down to the middle of her back by the end of the page. Hard to tell if that's actually a thing or if it's just the art though.

• Locked thread