Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Kimsemus posted:

do you remember when I got banned for calling devs bad

something something something irony

for real though, you got banned cause they asked you to stop insulting staff and you didnt. but hey since gloating over the titanic will never not be the thing to do

pixaal posted:

Free this guy or don't

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
just another bad game to throw onto the pyre

now we can all focus collectively on ruining the next EvEWoW MMOBA

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

EvEWoW MMOBA

This sounds like a good game but then its not :(

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
What are the denizens of the tablet RPG community doing while waiting for the final beta to end?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
shitposting

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
I made several effortposts on the official forums starting in 2014 and have never been able to live that down. :froggonk:

quote:

Shodai - Feb 8th 2015 - Feedback & Suggestions
Agreed. Last alpha I jumped in for a glimpse at what some were calling UO2. It was fun but shallow, yet I had faith. Came back for this, and in 6 months we got...a lame farming system. PvP was seemingly untouched-It has hardly any skill feel to it, no collision, no interesting skills, and lacks elegence. Just meh. Not much of a change to PvE for that matter. Hope Summer brings quite the upgrade.

quote:

Hope Summer brings quite the upgrade.

Shodai fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 19, 2016

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Diablo 4 coming out.. rip this.

Edit: gently caress nevermind.. it will be d4 if you had to buy gear in card packs and get random gear when you open it. Then if you want to play another character you have to buy that character and more card packs. gently caress.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
d3 was pretty bad, there is almost zero chance i'm gonna gamble with another jay-wilson tier game developer this time around.

also the 'pvp' lie was great

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

d3 was pretty bad, there is almost zero chance i'm gonna gamble with another jay-wilson tier game developer this time around.

if youre thirsty for arpg just play path of exile

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Blazing Zero posted:

if youre thirsty for arpg just play path of exile

:agreed:

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Has pve still not come out? That was slated to be like 1.1 with a sorry it's not in release.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

there is dueling, which consists of invisible heroes flying around at insane speeds one-shotting eachother

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
It's like people don't remember that UO was 99% farming and killing farmers for farmed stuff.

Then the farmers left because the only objective was to kill farmers for farmed stuff.

You know the rest of the story

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
right?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWhizzle posted:

It's like people don't remember that UO was 99% farming and killing farmers for farmed stuff.

Then the farmers left because the only objective was to kill farmers for farmed stuff.

You know the rest of the story

What UO lacked was a gem grind through repetitive skeltal grinding. It's what makes me so optimistic about this game.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

What UO lacked was a gem grind through repetitive skeltal grinding. It's what makes me so optimistic about this game.

Fun story, it was quite popular at a few points to farm Destard & Cove for dragons. They would drop piles of gold & gems. After a farming session, you would recall around through your runebook of Jewelers, and sell the gems for a hefty extra stack of cash.

That is, if your ping was low enough to have a fast recall macro. ESPORTS

forge
Feb 26, 2006
KEK this post from RT. I couldn't help myself and it should show the general mentality of AO which is SAD.

Korn posted about how they could make the rep system better and what was wrong with it.. this was one of his bullet points.

* Create a sustainable ecosystem of peaceful players and criminals (somewhat like fish and sharks)

so this was my reply..
This problem is solved by there being relatively few sharks in comparison to the fish they eat, plus the oceans are huge. Sharks reproduce extremely slow in comparison to fish and their life cycles, length from birth to death are extremely different. Think about that as a comparison to AO. You would need 100x green players to support 1x red player in a "sustainable ecosystem" and 10x more green players entering the system per the rate of 1x red player. The numbers are not accurate but detail why "the system" works for some part anyway. So in closing, AO imo does not have a sustainable ecosystem in the current iteration. We had a tank with 100 fish and 100 sharks. The sharks ate all the fish.. Then the sharks started eating themselves, and now only a few sharks are left.

YUP.. I guess their goal is to create a ecosystem like fish and sharks. Totally doable....

I got a lot of +rep for that one in RT.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

for real though, you got banned cause they asked you to stop insulting staff and you didnt. but hey since gloating over the titanic will never not be the thing to do

:yeah:

I don't recall

just like :si: devs can't recall how their own game mechanics work. :v:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

forge posted:

KEK this post from RT. I couldn't help myself and it should show the general mentality of AO which is SAD.

Korn posted about how they could make the rep system better and what was wrong with it.. this was one of his bullet points.

* Create a sustainable ecosystem of peaceful players and criminals (somewhat like fish and sharks)

so this was my reply..
This problem is solved by there being relatively few sharks in comparison to the fish they eat, plus the oceans are huge. Sharks reproduce extremely slow in comparison to fish and their life cycles, length from birth to death are extremely different. Think about that as a comparison to AO. You would need 100x green players to support 1x red player in a "sustainable ecosystem" and 10x more green players entering the system per the rate of 1x red player. The numbers are not accurate but detail why "the system" works for some part anyway. So in closing, AO imo does not have a sustainable ecosystem in the current iteration. We had a tank with 100 fish and 100 sharks. The sharks ate all the fish.. Then the sharks started eating themselves, and now only a few sharks are left.

YUP.. I guess their goal is to create a ecosystem like fish and sharks. Totally doable....

I got a lot of +rep for that one in RT.

why can't everyone be a shark?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

I don't recall

just like :si: devs can't recall how their own game mechanics work. :v:
you started out ripping into si's bad decisions and then it got personal against korn so they banned you. it was hilarious to read though

i just wish si could show capacity to learn from their mistakes and other mmo mistakes. but they cant so here we are.

what lovely pub guild are we going to land in for final, no-really-serious-final beta, friends :bubblewoop:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

what lovely pub guild are we going to land in for final, no-really-serious-final beta, friends :bubblewoop:

http://joinbaka.com/

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

ill pass on that this go round. yall got real racist towards the end and well, thats not my jam

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

unfortunately stunt invited the worst of the worst of his eve friends to come play with us, it was widely regarded as a big mistake

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

well let us know if yall decide to ban all the poo poo heads

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

unfortunately stunt invited the worst of the worst of his eve friends to come play with us, it was widely regarded as a big mistake

eve people ruining another game

unprecedented

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

eve people ruining another game

unprecedented

tbh whenever she is on my team she is terrible but whenever she is on the enemy team she is really good, i just ban her most of the time

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Wow, that sharks vs fish comment is dumb as hell.

Also you missed one point, Forge: sharks don't eat fish non-stop for fun, they eat for sustenance. There isn't an "enough" for sharks in AO, it's why they play the game.

I guess game devs will never understand that for gankbox PvP games to thrive they need a thriving ecosystem and for that they need systems that don't focus on PvP. It's kinda a catch-22 that so far no developer has been able to solve. The moment you let someone stomp on someone else's sandcastle they potentially quit your game because unlike real life they can just close the game and walk away.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

something john galt something something free markets~

forge
Feb 26, 2006
trickle down mmo pvp economics

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

imagine spending years of your life designing a game around its player base cannibalizing itself with no plans to lure in more suckers attract new players

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blazing Zero posted:

imagine spending years of your life designing a game around its player base cannibalizing itself with no plans to lure in more suckers attract new players

Hey EVE Online is somehow still operating so there must be something to it!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey EVE Online is somehow still operating so there must be something to it!

incase you havent been paying attention, they have a constantly evolving model to get fresh meat on the chopping block. the latest is that the game is going F2P

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah I'm sure going F2P is gonna make EVE great again lol

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

eve coasts on its history and people who pay their rent via rmt. eve going f2p wont change a lot but its better than ao's plan which is korn asking players how to attract sharks

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

AO could get plenty of cheap labor by letting you cash gold back out into real money at half or even 25% the rate. Plenty of idiots will gladly chop rocks for $0.50/hr. We can then kill them making $8/hr!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

the randian dream itt

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

A big problem also might just be they are in perpetual beta and not many people, minus the autistic, like to throw away all their time spent with a wipe.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BadLlama posted:

A big problem also might just be they are in perpetual beta and not many people, minus the autistic, like to throw away all their time spent with a wipe.

Yeah but when the only fun part of your game is the first month, you can't exactly release

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

The only thing that we could have said is that there are some people that have been around this game for years and it's not going too well for the game

^

That was entirely typed by my auto-complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

BadLlama posted:

A perpetual beta wouldn't hamper a game with fun dynamics imo. What kills AO is that it's a needless grind with no payoff. The first two weeks are fun as hell. Then it feels like you're forced to grind skeltals for years on end (unless something major changed in the last testing period). If a game offered fun dynamics from the start of game until the end of game, people wouldn't care about wipes and say "welp, I don't feel like forcing myself to grind through yet another beta; i'm out guys!" The game lacks fun; it's going to be hard to fix that, without first acknowledging it. And no, adding gems back into the game isn't the answer to the 'fun' question.

• Locked thread