Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ah, Daguerro...a town filled with two of my favorite things (books and water) and populated with people who have to really wanna be there to get there...my kinda place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Going back to the Rune Blade. Iai strike is supposed to be based on Iadou, that fancy katana technique where you draw the sword, strike and resheath it in one quick, fluid motion.

This is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a katana.

Excluding Auron, unlike Steiner he doesn't give any fucks about logic or reason.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I don't recall if it was ever mention or not but for the Steam re release, they use all but two of the same character portraits. for what ever reason they changed Eiko and Freya

Original:

PC version:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It always takes me a minute to remember that's Amarant's beard, not an absurdly long nose.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dagger's portrait is clearly not the same, so they changed only the female ones. Weird.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Mega64 posted:

FF9's iteration may not really be the same Gilgamesh, as he's a mere rookie in the treasure hunting scene, plus he's pretty knowledgeable about the world of Gaia while in other iterations Gilgamesh is a confused outsider looking for weapons or Bartz. Still, kinda neat that this guy who pops up throughout the game (he taught Vivi Triple Triad in Alexandria and schemed in Treno to kidnap Eiko to blackmail Amarant, at least until Quina unintentionally foiled his plans) is another reference to a beloved recurring series character.

Now, I know Triple Triad is the FAR superior card game, but I think that's a typo...

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Dagger's portrait is clearly not the same, so they changed only the female ones. Weird.

her's is a very minor difference in think in that her eye are a little more shut. She is still in the same pose and still matches up with the original PSX pic.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They also changed Quina's portrait, although you probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking at the two side by side.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ultrafilter posted:

They also changed Quina's portrait, although you probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking at the two side by side.

Quina's portrait is as changed as Zidane's

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I dont know why the PC version font choice bothers me as much as it does, but every time I see it it just looks wrong.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

i81icu812 posted:

I dont know why the PC version font choice bothers me as much as it does, but every time I see it it just looks wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's less charming in a game that is charm made manifest.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

It looks like the PC portraits are all taken directly from the boxart, short haired Garnet excepted. It just so happened that some of the characters used the same pose in their original portraits, though this makes me wonder what Garnet's pre-haircut portrait looks like on PC. Her original doesn't match her boxart either, and frankly her boxart wouldn't make for a very good portrait, not that that stopped them with Amarant. Looking at that hi-res PC portrait is the first time I've been able to really parse it.

Fake edit: Huh, apparently the actual boxart doesn't have all the characters on it. It's just the core four of Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Steiner, plus ...Amarant. :confused: Anyway, the PC portraits are from the version of that art that has everyone.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Note that Amarant's was also tweaked - he's smirking in his new portrait, his beard doesn't seem like it reaches up to his hair, and his shoulder tattoo (which I didn't even know existed) is more visible.

Quina's hat changes colour near the top. Zidane's overall facial structure is tweaked slightly and his smile is a bit smaller.

Vivi and Steiner are pretty much the only ones untouched. I can't recall if Marcus/Blank/Beatrix are altered.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 19, 2016

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Daguerreo :allears: This place has probably my favorite music from the entire soundtrack, it's so chill and quaint. The giant FF9 remix project from OCRemix has already been brought up in this thread a few times, if I'm remembering right, but IMO one of the standouts of the whole thing was this incredibly charming vocal version of this tune, with Latin lyrics to boot! Not that I can vouch for the accuracy of those lyrics :shobon: But it's very nicely done, and the accompanying video is just adorable.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The PC portraits (Except Garnet) match the character renders used in the original manual.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Daguerreo is chill as gently caress and one of the coolest towns in any FF. It's a really fun little surprise as you fly around the world map, and its island is one of the most beautiful world map features in an RPG.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I always max out my amethysts when I get to Daguerro, because Atomos is secretly the best eidolon for random encounters. It does percentile damage, where the percentage is equal to the number of amethysts plus 30. With at least 70 amethysts and Boost equipped, it's a guaranteed instant kill to anything with less than 10000 HP, and 9999 damage to everything else that's not a boss. Really, what other eidolon do you need?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

I always max out my amethysts when I get to Daguerro, because Atomos is secretly the best eidolon for random encounters. It does percentile damage, where the percentage is equal to the number of amethysts plus 30. With at least 70 amethysts and Boost equipped, it's a guaranteed instant kill to anything with less than 10000 HP, and 9999 damage to everything else that's not a boss. Really, what other eidolon do you need?

Don't they have to be vulnerable to gravity, though? Making it pretty useless on bosses.

But yeah, Daguerro is why Eiko's "Jewel" spell can be handy. It has a 50% chance to extract an ore from an enemy for 2 mp, I believe (or 1 with half MP). So you can find a weak enemy, set the game to "memory" to remember cursor position, have your other two characters with "healer" or something equipped, rubber band the controller, and have Eiko max out your ores while you wander off to do laundry or whatever. Then you go and synth them into other jewels to max out the power of your various summons. It's a bit tedious, sure, but grinding for power usually is. It takes hundreds of ore to max out your various summons (close to 400 just for Leviathan alone), so just getting ores from steals and drops is waaaay too slow.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Chocobo H&C does give you a decent stock of gems if you dig up all the treasures, but really if you have to focus on one Summon, it should just be Bahamut.

The gem blockade is part of why Eiko ends up easier to use than Garnet; of her four summons, Fenrir is the only one that requires gems to power-up (Sapphire). Phoenix can't be boosted, Carbuncle doesn't do damage, and Madeen gets stronger as Eiko levels up. No important enemies resist or absorb Holy (the Friendly Monsters and superbosses are the only ones, and the last can have its Holy resistance circumvented), so Madeen is basically equal to Bahamut.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

mateo360 posted:

I don't recall if it was ever mention or not but for the Steam re release, they use all but two of the same character portraits. for what ever reason they changed Eiko and Freya

Original:

PC version:

I don't like Freya's one because I can never see it right first time. My brain always interprets it as being a full profile shot. No nose and a weird smile.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

i81icu812 posted:

It looks like an RPG Maker font.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

eating only apples posted:

I don't like Freya's one because I can never see it right first time. My brain always interprets it as being a full profile shot. No nose and a weird smile.

well now I cant unsee that thank you very much

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

i81icu812 posted:

What font would you have chosen, out of curiosity? Speaking for myself, I prefer a clean, readable font like they use there as opposed to something that looks nice but is harder to read, especially when a game demands as much reading as this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Don't they have to be vulnerable to gravity, though? Making it pretty useless on bosses.

Yes which is why I said it's the best for random encounters! And who cares about bosses, their challenge is all about surviving until Zidane steals everything.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Chocobo H&C does give you a decent stock of gems if you dig up all the treasures, but really if you have to focus on one Summon, it should just be Bahamut.

The gem blockade is part of why Eiko ends up easier to use than Garnet; of her four summons, Fenrir is the only one that requires gems to power-up (Sapphire). Phoenix can't be boosted, Carbuncle doesn't do damage, and Madeen gets stronger as Eiko levels up. No important enemies resist or absorb Holy (the Friendly Monsters and superbosses are the only ones, and the last can have its Holy resistance circumvented), so Madeen is basically equal to Bahamut.

Bahamut is really, really bad, actually. Non-elemental damage means you can't hit a weakness or boost it with equipment. Assuming maxed out gems, even Ramuh is better than Bahamut if you either can hit a weakness or have lightning boosting gear (for anything with less than 19 magic defense, which is most of the enemies in the game), and having both completely blows Bahamut out of the water.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I never knew the Black Mage Village had different dialogue at this point. Probably got something to do with the fact that it is the most annoying place to get to with the airship. Only by a tiny bit, but that is enough I guess.

Also I love the Sargatanas. I beeline for Daguerro as soon as I get the airship, and that is part of the reason why. 100% accurate Petrify for like 8 MP? Yes please. Also what, it's two goat skulls tied to a stick or something? It rules. I like Daguerro for a lot of reasons, but mechanically, it's the goatstick that drags me there first. It took me far too long to put petrification and soul blade together in my head the first time.

Oh, and I only found out you can fight the friendly Yan a couple of days ago when I was looking up Vile Island. Apparently you can do it repeatedly until you give him a diamond and you get the 50AP and Rosetta Ring every time as well. And also he has superboss health and the strongest physical attack in the game or something.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

McDragon posted:

Oh, and I only found out you can fight the friendly Yan a couple of days ago when I was looking up Vile Island. Apparently you can do it repeatedly until you give him a diamond and you get the 50AP and Rosetta Ring every time as well. And also he has superboss health and the strongest physical attack in the game or something.

I explain how it works as part of explaining why it's impossible at level 1.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER NINETEEN: "And then Ragtimer coughed and a hundred blood came out then he went nothing and everyone sadded. One day they will all would learn to live their lifes without Ragtimer who was dead."

The airship is useful for flying to chocobo tracks.

Well that's too harsh. Hilda Garde 3 is good for flying to story locations since the game requires being in the airship for a few. This update is all set-up. Normally, I'd be taking on the bonus boss at this point. I'm saving it for disc 4 like Mega64 is, but this is still the perfect time to build up the team for... the rest of the game. I have all the abilities I need, and nice ways to build AP.

It takes a while to get the remaining chocograph pieces becuase I had... 1. The one from the first disc.

I get the remaining 3 chocographs. Choco ends with a level 37 beak and I don't have enough points for poo poo. gently caress.

The strongest weapon Tinhank has, since I'm slow as poo poo. It teaches an ability that doesn't work and an ability he doesn't have the MP to use. He'll spend every second he has left alive using the attack command or Darkside so having the highest attack is important.

Like Ark's, so also invaluable when the time comes.

Ribbons absorb wind and water, and there are quite a few bosses left where this is fantastic. The 3rd isn't available until disc 4, and Papito has the Octagon Rod to simulate it.

The other free Rebirth Ring. Thank gently caress, I need two to get all my Auto-Lifes in order.

Oh yeah, new Knight's monster.

It has less than 10k HP.

Daguerreo has forests on its island, so Choco can get there too.

There's a lot of shopping, but the Sargatanas is the Big Deal. With it, Stop is unnecessary as Gitan can do the same thing but with no miss rate. If the enemy can be petrified, the enemy is petrified. No evasion, no lv+(mag/4), nothing but a yes/no depending on immunity.

God yes.

Also I max my Opal supply. I still have an evil Shiva-based scheme.

Synthing a Rebirth Ring requires a Diamond, which is also why I needed the free ones.

idgaf

This would be wonderful if fire/ice/thunder attacks at this point weren't far beyond what halving would let Tinhank and Ratchel survive.

At this point, defenses are mostly nil. Everything has enough attack to deal at least 100 damage, and that's lethal to these goobers. Luckily, this is when elemental immunities start to kick in in earnest.

Even at level 1, Grand Dragon grinding is a thing.

God I love the Sargatanas.

What does that name mean, anyway?

quote:

Sargatanas is a demon serving under Astaroth's direct command as Brigadier Major according to the Grand Grimoire, also known as The Red Dragon. He has the power to open locks and teleport people to anywhere they choose.

Oh ok.

3 AP, 6 with Ability Up. This is enough to pick up a lot of minor utility abilites.

Gimme Cats are the other Salvage area random encounter.

They are as open to petrify. Maybe that qualifies on some level.

They normally give 4 EXP. I could take out 4 without anyone gaining a level, but gently caress that, that's lame.

I also set out to wrap up the friendly monster sidequest. You may notice the Kukri there. Though Gitan/Bort/Ratchel/Quark is the A-team, the B-team needs abilities too.

I shuffle equipment to master a lot of other stuff, too, but the big thing is always Auto-Life.

A lot of friendly monsters are in forests so I get a few Ragtime Mouse encounters.

Well here's a few useful moves. Darkside is Tinhank's magic stone-free way of boosting damage (in case he needs Auto-Life for example) and Dispel is useful against exactly one enemy.

It's the final boss.

We're close to some abilities so let's get some grand dra

never mind!

Feather Circle takes forever to show up that I start stoning the random encounters.

Sheesh, took you long enough.

Garuda is prompt in comparison.

More useful abilities! Papito's ~agas outdamage Flare with elemental weakness and/or boost, and we have plenty of hats to boost 'em. Aura is Owen Wilson's way of adding Auto-Life (bet you wish you had that for Marley huh) and Shock... costs too much MP.

Yans are loving murder, yes.

Friendly Yan is in the forest too.

Let's hurt it w/ weapons. Unlike other friendly monsters, Yan will actually attept to complete this fight to the death.

BAAAHHH!!! has 158 attack, so it takes endgame armor and high levels to not die instantly. It can't miss, so evasion doesn't work there. And it inflicts Silence because gently caress you.

Yeah I have auto-life.

And it does enable a second Dragon's Crest.

Yan has 255 defense, evasion, magic defense, and magic evasion. It's only things that don't check against those stats that work. It's weak to Shadow but there's no way to deal Shadow damage that isn't ramming against its defenses.

It also uses BAAAHHH!!! as a counter-attack, and eventually during each of its turns once it realizes I'm never giving it the drat diamond.

It has 50 speed, as well. 65535 HP, immunities to every relevant status. It is open to Slow but there's no means of inflicting Slow that don't run into its massive stats (so you have Gitan with accuracy+ and the Gladius hope for the 1/3 chance before netting another BAAAHHH!!! (which happens because it's a counterattack thus making Slow not so important.))

I'd need to hit it with my fixed-9,999 moves 7 times. I get two. Maybe 3 if I do tricks with Auto-Life and Aura and it isn't pissed.

In short, Friendly Yan is impossible at level 1 barring secret tricks of which I do not know.

So just hand the fucker the diamond.

I'll need a set of Rosetta Rings eventually so this is nice.

And then the boringest part: actually getting all 834 of those steals I talked about. I do it outside Quan's Dwelling as with ice immunity Mandragoras are harmless. Also they have Tents and Phoenix Pinions as steals, and now is when I finally go for all 99 pinions. The party is zombied to avoid EXP so I can just strike them down and get a ton of gil in the process. Absorbing Ice, tents, and Owen Wilson's Chakra work when zombified.

Since it's a forest, I finally finish Ragtime Mouse's quiz.

His final question is revealing his weakness:

He can indeed be slain. How?

Run into him again so he totals your score. If it's perfect?

He is so surprised he explodes in sheer disbelief.

He'd give 23,852 experience (5963 to a party of 4) but Gitan and crew are still zombies.

They have been zombies for several weeks now.

He gives 5963 times 10 gil and another Protect Ring. I like Protect Rings even if they don't do anything to help at level 1. They just feel so safe as add-on choices without a particular goal.

Anyway, next is showing off the results of training in 100 times earth's gravity or whatever.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix; Ramuh and Shiva insisted on sucking; Forgot the Forgotten chocobo tracks; got hosed up on the way; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph grinding is risky; Desert Palace Random Encounters: Annoying, Dangerous, Random, Bullshit, gently caress, Dammit, Why; Bishop removed Zombie; Grand Dragon Thundaga; Yan'd; Friendly Yan'd.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Trasson posted:

What font would you have chosen, out of curiosity? Speaking for myself, I prefer a clean, readable font like they use there as opposed to something that looks nice but is harder to read, especially when a game demands as much reading as this.

More specifically, the line weight is wrong for the amount of text/whitespace available for the text boxes. It makes the text hard to read. The exact same font would be fine if everything were in boldface. Something marginally more stylized so that it doesn't look like a generic rpgmaker text box would be a bonus.

Compare how thick the lines in letters are in the PS version to the PC version. Easier to read, better whitespace balance, better match to the border line thickness.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't think I've ever finished the Ragtime Mouse sidequest. I'm usually disappointed because he's not a Friendly Monster.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Final Fantasy IX - They have been zombies for several weeks now. would make a good thread name.

It generally takes me until Disc 4 to beat the Ragtime Mouse/Mouth.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I actually bothered doing several Ragtime Mouse encounters for the next update. Like 3 of the 11 left I need to do.

It's not something I'm in a big hurry to do since the reward's mainly Gil and eventually the Protect Ring, which isn't a big deal when I'm still working on grinding abilities from everyone's add-ons (except Zidane and Vivi who've learned everything they can at this point).

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'm not really going out of my way to do Ragtime Mouse. I've got plenty of Gil from grinding AP from Adamantoises and everyone knows all their Abilities and skills and I have much better add-ons I can use for the end game according to what optimize gives me after striping everyone. Also I have had a very poor encounter rate with him in the PC version. I've only gotten him 6 times over the whole game even when I tried to take time to actually find him. None of the tricks I read to make him show up more often worked for me.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I never knew you could get an extra scene on the Hilda Garde 3 if you access the bridge from Lindblum. That's neat.
I can't imagine it being a good idea to have a library in a damp place like Daguerreo.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dastardly posted:

I never knew you could get an extra scene on the Hilda Garde 3 if you access the bridge from Lindblum. That's neat.
I can't imagine it being a good idea to have a library in a damp place like Daguerreo.

they have a mage casting Aero frequently to keep ventilation up

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
If we have the only airship in the world that can travel without Mist, how did all these people even get to Daguerro in the first place :psyduck:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

If we have the only airship in the world that can travel without Mist, how did all these people even get to Daguerro in the first place :psyduck:

i guess they climbed the mountain or these some path there. zidane and his party just cant be bothered to climb mountains.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Brony Hunter posted:

Same way people got to Esto Gaza, I suppose?

Alternatively, Hilda used the Hilda Garde 1 to ferry people over there for a while before being captured by Kuja.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

mateo360 posted:

PC version:

i81icu812 posted:

I don't mind the typeface that much but it's inconsistently kerned (look at the "r"s). It's not the biggest offender in the department of loving up the kerning in an HD port (that would be the 3DS Ace Attorney Trilogy, which impressively ruined not only the kerning but also the baselines) but it's the sort of thing that a certain mindset cannot not be driven insane by once observed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

eating only apples posted:

I still have no idea what it's supposed to look like, every time I see it I just see the no-nose weird smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ApplesandOranges posted:

I still have no idea what it's supposed to look like, every time I see it I just see the no-nose weird smile.

She's a rat. That's her rat snout.

• Locked thread