Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
That's a DM that's had one too many "Chaotic Neutral" characters that do nothing but dismember corpses and poop on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Razorwired posted:

That's a DM that's had one too many "Chaotic Stupid" characters that do nothing but dismember corpses and poop on them.

I fixed your post for you

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Razorwired posted:

That's a DM that's had one too many "Chaotic Neutral" characters that do nothing but dismember corpses and poop on them.
Sounds more like a DM who likes to DM for the control aspect rather than the fun aspect. It always confuses the hell out of me when I see/hear/interact with a DM who refuses to let people be creative; like, isn't the whole point of the game to get creative and think up oddball ways to overcome obstacles? Why ever would you fall into "no, you can't do that because I didn't think of it first" bullshit?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

Sounds more like a DM who likes to DM for the control aspect rather than the fun aspect. It always confuses the hell out of me when I see/hear/interact with a DM who refuses to let people be creative; like, isn't the whole point of the game to get creative and think up oddball ways to overcome obstacles? Why ever would you fall into "no, you can't do that because I didn't think of it first" bullshit?

There are good and bad reasons for this. The good ones generally resolve around one person wanting FAR more spotlight time than is reasonable or derailing the campaign into the kind of thing that everyone else doesn't want it to be. The bad ones are, indeed, usually control freak reasons and viewing the game as a fragile glass sculpture that can only be handled Just So.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

kaynorr posted:

There are good and bad reasons for this. The good ones generally resolve around one person wanting FAR more spotlight time than is reasonable or derailing the campaign into the kind of thing that everyone else doesn't want it to be.
Eh, I've always found the best way to deal with that is to pull the player aside and say "hey, that poo poo right there? The thing you did just now? Stop it. It's not cool or funny or in any way acceptable. Knock it off or find a new game." Followed by kicking them out after 0-2 sessions because those players are never capable of letting anyone else be on stage, let alone share a spotlight.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So in today's session of Pathfinder my permanently ex-vampire (she got her body perma-hallowed as a consequence touching some world life energies to save the paladin from falling (but it's not really permanent, because the blood of the first vampire can override it as she learned a few months later)) got transformed into a greater windigo (with cool new character art) by botching the save against it's curse, but then the level 5 party got a cumulative 54 on a diplomacy check with a nat 20 on the main dice and amazing RP all around of the characters absolving her of her guilt on the first round of her transformation which combined with her being jazzed up with world life energy caused the DM to leave the call for about 30 minutes as "This is unprecedented and I need to make some decisions" (the reason why that's unusual is because this is a professional GM who's been running this campaign for over 8 years now as his full-time job, and has literally a large closet full of notes). As of now my character has regained her mind, but still has a Windigo body, and the GM needs to create a custom template for it.

Also a character as part of the RP swore his undying love and commitment for my character, even though she has a husband of 3k years (although the husband is a vampire, and a pile of ashes (but as long as his soul wasn't vaporized she will probably resurrect him)). So now I have to devote a bunch of mental energy of how to answer a fictional characters romantic proclamation towards my fictional character without hurting him or betraying her marital vows. Also we have an Elder Windigo to find and murder the gently caress out of. Oh, and I think the elf might have found something that will kill us at the end of the session.

Honestly though, the most unbelievable poo poo out of all of this is that after a year, we're still only loving level 5.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Last night's session of my 3.5 game was amazing. PCs are investigating the dwarven equivalent of an early Donald Trump, and have gone to his latest slum quality establishment. The Factotum disguises himself as a druggie and gets his way to the back, where the drugs are sold. He finds his old "friend", a gnoll whose stash of dreamlily he ruined. After failing his bluff check by 1, a fight breaks out wherein he uses Lesser Confusion, then the Psion uses time hop to blink him out. Gnoll nat 20s his wis check to come back, where a grapple attempt happens and fails. Psion time hops him again before he can do anything, Factotum prepares to grab him again (and succeeds!) so the Archivist implants the gnoll with a necrotic cyst. The whole time, the gnoll is getting progressively more confused as to why they're attacking and what they want from him, getting no answers. Party binds and gags him after pinning him, and goes down the stairs to investigate the small basement where the gnoll keeps his inventory. After looting his inventory of most of the magically identifiable drugs, the Factotum apologizes to the gnoll and loosens his bonds slightly. Then they leave to pursue other leads!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SweetBro posted:

(the reason why that's unusual is because this is a professional GM who's been running this campaign for over 8 years now as his full-time job, and has literally a large closet full of notes).
This is an actual thing now? I could maybe understand if he was doing it for multiple groups, but just running one campaign for 8 years?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This is an actual thing now? I could maybe understand if he was doing it for multiple groups, but just running one campaign for 8 years?

It's been a thing for a few years now. The shittier LGS in town pays the DMs that run Adventurer's League and players have to pay dues to stay in AL(which is why it's the lovely shop). Roll20 recently posted that the team was figuring out how to handle DMs demanding player fees in their LFG listings. In the right scene I could see the merits but I haven't clicked with most paid GMs I run into. Certainly not enough to pay them for elfgames.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

SweetBro posted:

professional GM who's been running this campaign for over 8 years now as his full-time job

:psyboom:

I can think of a couple of people I would pay to not GM, though.

Is this a good sign? That roleplaying is strong enough somewhere that people could be so good they are paid to run games? If it is, why does it still make me feel really uncomfortable?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't derive value from the act of playing in and of itself, I don't see why you're still treating this as a hobby.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I mean you pay for television shows and stand up comedy.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Very few television shows are made by hobbyists though.

As for stand up comedy and film festivals a lot of that fee goes to paying for the venue hire and other costs for running the event itself, rather than the people presenting material making a profit.

Or at least that's the case in Australia.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I had a buddy in a different state offer to pay my travel expenses and give me a place to crash if I'd come run games for them for a weekend-long event. That's kind of like being a professional I guess.

I feel like running games professionally would subject you to the kind of quality-compromising incentives you get from stuff like teaching martial arts professionally; in order to keep the doors open, the lights on, and food on the table you have to accept and cater to students/players whom you really shouldn't. So you'll feel the need to keep that rear end in a top hat who's always doing random poo poo for attention and going off on stupid tangents that waste everyone's time and energy, and your game will suffer for it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I can sorta see the merit in having a paid DM, but only in the sense that I have had promising/fun/engaging games vanish into the mist never to be played again because the DM had a real job and responsibilities that rightly take priority.

But, I can also see how it is a bad idea full of ways to go wrong.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Coward posted:

Is this a good sign? That roleplaying is strong enough somewhere that people could be so good they are paid to run games? If it is, why does it still make me feel really uncomfortable?

I think it's a sign of the gig economy more than any tabletop boom. People are trying to monetize everything in their lives at the moment and nerds have always overestimated the value of their individual contributions to a fun rpg.

My biggest rub with it is that if I'm paying you for content we're in a business relationship, not a friendship. If my buddy has 2 or 3 bad sessions it's no big thing. But if a writer gives me one or two bad modules I'm gonna take my money elsewhere.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
As someone who makes a living by getting paid for what's generally seen as a hobby and which I'm not professionally trained in (drawing), I can understand the reaction of aversion. It's definitely a weird concept, and it could potentially involve compromises, yes. I draw plenty of stuff that I don't particularly like just because hey, it brings in the money. I don't really think it's automatically a bad thing, and I doubt it will ever be more than a small niche, but really if someone wants to put in that level of time and the players enjoy it enough to pay for the privilege, that's the essence of economies.

I don't think it's TOO out there, but maybe it helps that I'm American and also already doing something not too dissimilar myself. People paying other people to run elfgames certainly doesn't sound as weird as a lot of the economic activities infamous in the US, and it means that there will be a small niche for passionate GMs who want to make that their lifestyle. There will also be stupid exploitative/exploited idiots as well. What I'm saying is don't expect to get pushed out of GMing or forced to pay to play, it's still going to be 'just a hobby' to the vast majority of people.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Well, this story is from three or more years ago, so it's probably safe to tell now, forewarning, I'm more then likely the bad in this story:

How I got an in production game to change it rules.

A local group of people were making a table top game that was basically Mordhiem, but without the goofy horseshit. The rules for the game were in that stage where they were set and they had a rule book printed (and were selling them), but they hadn't worked out the kinks yet. It's big "Play this game," feature was that you rarely boosted the number you needed to hit or damage, you just got larger dice (I.E. instead of going from +5 to +4, you went from a D4 to a D6). They liked this so much they sold a pack of dice that included a special D16, but went up to D30. Also if you rolled the max number on a die, it "exploded," and you rolled it again and added the result, this could go on multiple times. Another thing they added was that if you achieved the target number for hitting or wounding, and the remaining amount on the die hit the target number again, you would do an additional wound (or in the case of hitting, would just do a wound. For example if I needed a 2 to hit and rolled a 6, I would hit and do 2 wounds.)

There were four factions, I picked the "elves" because no one else was. So the elves had bows. Bows had a range of 12," but for a -1 penalty to hit you could extend the range by 12", up to 36." And penalties to range was all the rage with this game. You moved, -1 to hit. Your target moved, -1 to hit. Your target moved over 8", -1 to hit. Behind cover, -1 to hit. Basically, ranged sucked because you were trying to roll like 8 to 10s on a D4 or D6. For the first half of the season (every Sunday for one month), I hated playing the game. I couldn't hit poo poo at range, and my melee combat skills were sub par. Through just sticking to it, one of my archers got a good few +hit modifiers so it was rolling a D12 instead of a D6. Then I took the time to read the rules, and stopped listening to one of the game developers.

I will admit that not reading the rules thoroughly was my fault, I should have done it, but just never got around to it, as the developer that was there every Sunday was very hand-holdy.

See, there were mages in the games, every faction had one, and for the most part, they were decent, but had one "amazing" spell. I was told this amazing spell was my "summon forest friends" spell, it was pretty good, at 4 attacks one a D4. Then I read the book and saw the spell that buffed the to hit roll by +2. You know how I said this game rarely buffed the number you needed to hit? Yeah, this spell was +2 dice levels to hit. So that elf archer that had a D12 to hit, was suddenly rolling D20s.

Then I found a +1 dice level to hit necklace.

And then I got a skill that let me shoot twice.

I had unlocked a railgun in Medieval Times.

I could tell the exact point when the developer, and the other 4 people playing, realized that something was brutally broken. It was the last game of the season (luckily for the other players), and everyone was together to play one final battle royale. That was when my D30 exploded, at 30", and one shot another player's mage. On the to hit roll. Then blew up his best lieutenant. As the first attack of the game. At that point in the game, it was no longer a game to run into a big swirling pit and kill everyone type of game, but a camp ground survival game, where my archer was Jason, and he had brought an RPG. Objectives and Treasure were second to a hidey holes.

Before the next Season, there was an errata put out that after the D12, every dice level had an extra step added before you get a dice benefit.

Also, after the game I did feel bad for everyone else. But they told me while it wasn't the most fun, it was at least thrilling, like a horror flick, so they got some enjoyment out of it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

froward posted:

my DM steamrolls over my roleplaying and even my attempts at setting up sneaky ambushes ("you guys ask for a meeting with the boss, I'll sneak in the back and then backstab him!") are foiled. I really loathe combat.

we wiped out a nest of tooth fairies and I wanted to keep all the teeth, then start a rumor in town that eating/drinking the teeth of a race would temporarily give you their powers (intending to sell them for money). The DM told me "everyone just thinks you're weird" and I didn't even roll anything :smith:

guys I am TRYING

See I think I have an applicable fable

See I've got a character in my party who I'mma refer to as lovely Chewbacca, My party is pretty cool and fairly consistent but lovely Chewbacca is a goddamn menace, not a bad person in real life but absolutely toxic in game for a number of reasons that aren't immediately self evident yet fill me with rage and bile after the fact

lovely Chewbacca is a mechanic who dosn't do mechanic stuff, he is literally a ripoff of chewbacca and so he is a heavy weapons guy, luckily we have another mechanic in the party so we don't have to rely on lovely Chewbacca but just... ok, now, lovely Chewbacca plays fast and loose with rules, rules like the laws of physics... since EOTE is a fairly abstract game lovely Chewbacca likes to teleport around without moving through the intervening space, always seeming to be present at the nexus of the action and willing to interrupt other people's turns to mention it. He is unshakable when it comes to latching onto ideas and can ignore every rule in the goddamn book when he gets an idea stuck in his head.

So my party was attempting to invade a gang of mad max style desert raiders who were causing problems...

:downs: < I stay behind on the truck
:rolldice: < Ok.

So the REST of the party was attempting to invade a gang of raiders, they decide the best course of action is to infiltrate, dressing up as randos and getting press-ganged, the plan works beautifully as they're all abducted, given rough weapons and pitted against monsters for the entertainment of the bad-guys. It was cool and fun, they used their various skills to score better gear and impress the violent mob with their various murder-skills while fighting voracious desert predators

But not lovely loving chewbacca, the whole time I'm focusing on the bulk of the party he's managed to split and is rapidly preparing to gently caress with me. He manages to phrase it as being 'a backup plan' which he is somehow planning to enact despite being at the truck while the rest of the party is deep in some caves but in reality its because he's an idiot fucker with stupid ideas. See what I didn't realize is that during the pre mission shopping he had managed to buy a missile tube.

So the party manages to prevail, the crowd is going loving nuts at their awesome performance, the big boss I'd prepped for them to fight later arrives to give out accolades and size up some new potential recrui-

:downs: < I fire my missile tube at him
:rolldice: < W- n- the gently caress?!

So retard chewbacca teleported into the middle of the room and in one turn shot my bbeg with an anti-vehicle weapon, despite a missile tube being a prep 1 weapon, a fact I didn't know because I didn't realize the thread of his retarded logic till he enacted it. Of course I object. But you see Retard Chewbacca has decided his plan, now reality has to give way, because he will not give up

:rolldice: < Um gently caress no? You're at the truck.
:downs: < No I followed the party
:rolldice: < No you didn't you loving just did not declare that
:downs: < Um I did... I said so.

Turns out he had been interrupting to declare he was following, I'd been mostly ignoring him because he wasn't part of the proceedings... He'd also brought some jawas... Jawas he had stated himself and acquired while another DM was leading the game, of course no matter what I do at this point he's managed to establish that: A wookie with a rocketlauncher bursts into the room. Thus completely loving everything for the entire party already. Wonderful.

:rolldice: < Welp, the game is hosed. Since a wookie with a rocketlauncher has now arrived <Rolling> Oh look, you do twenty damage, that's not enough to ki-
:downs: < My jawas fire now.
:rolldice: < *murderous DM glare*
:downs: < There's three and they do five each!

I'd prepped this guy to fight the party at full strength, he was a nemesis five with tons of power, but unfortunately in the confusion and anguish of having the entire logical proceedings completely loving broken I realize the party is not at full strength, I have the nemesis make a miraculous escape on a bike and give the party a chance to escape in the total loving chaos that ensues

:downs: < I follow...
:rolldice: < There's no free b-
:awesomelon: < Actually there is you mentioned them earlier
:rolldice: < oh. yes... silly me... back when things made sense.

So now my next session is coming, my party is in a position of near certain death and also its split ONCE AGAIN because of retard Chewbacca riding off into the sunset to chase and 'finish off' the nemesis. I can't retcon what he's done because I am an idiot and let it progress, every other party member is disheartened...

So yeah, in the future I'm going to tell him his ideas are retarded and not let them start

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Motherfucker posted:

See I think I have an applicable fable

See I've got a character in my party who I'mma refer to as lovely Chewbacca, My party is pretty cool and fairly consistent but lovely Chewbacca is a goddamn menace, not a bad person in real life but absolutely toxic in game for a number of reasons that aren't immediately self evident yet fill me with rage and bile after the fact

lovely Chewbacca is a mechanic who dosn't do mechanic stuff, he is literally a ripoff of chewbacca and so he is a heavy weapons guy, luckily we have another mechanic in the party so we don't have to rely on lovely Chewbacca but just... ok, now, lovely Chewbacca plays fast and loose with rules, rules like the laws of physics... since EOTE is a fairly abstract game lovely Chewbacca likes to teleport around without moving through the intervening space, always seeming to be present at the nexus of the action and willing to interrupt other people's turns to mention it. He is unshakable when it comes to latching onto ideas and can ignore every rule in the goddamn book when he gets an idea stuck in his head.

So my party was attempting to invade a gang of mad max style desert raiders who were causing problems...

:downs: < I stay behind on the truck
:rolldice: < Ok.

So the REST of the party was attempting to invade a gang of raiders, they decide the best course of action is to infiltrate, dressing up as randos and getting press-ganged, the plan works beautifully as they're all abducted, given rough weapons and pitted against monsters for the entertainment of the bad-guys. It was cool and fun, they used their various skills to score better gear and impress the violent mob with their various murder-skills while fighting voracious desert predators

But not lovely loving chewbacca, the whole time I'm focusing on the bulk of the party he's managed to split and is rapidly preparing to gently caress with me. He manages to phrase it as being 'a backup plan' which he is somehow planning to enact despite being at the truck while the rest of the party is deep in some caves but in reality its because he's an idiot fucker with stupid ideas. See what I didn't realize is that during the pre mission shopping he had managed to buy a missile tube.

So the party manages to prevail, the crowd is going loving nuts at their awesome performance, the big boss I'd prepped for them to fight later arrives to give out accolades and size up some new potential recrui-

:downs: < I fire my missile tube at him
:rolldice: < W- n- the gently caress?!

So retard chewbacca teleported into the middle of the room and in one turn shot my bbeg with an anti-vehicle weapon, despite a missile tube being a prep 1 weapon, a fact I didn't know because I didn't realize the thread of his retarded logic till he enacted it. Of course I object. But you see Retard Chewbacca has decided his plan, now reality has to give way, because he will not give up

:rolldice: < Um gently caress no? You're at the truck.
:downs: < No I followed the party
:rolldice: < No you didn't you loving just did not declare that
:downs: < Um I did... I said so.

Turns out he had been interrupting to declare he was following, I'd been mostly ignoring him because he wasn't part of the proceedings... He'd also brought some jawas... Jawas he had stated himself and acquired while another DM was leading the game, of course no matter what I do at this point he's managed to establish that: A wookie with a rocketlauncher bursts into the room. Thus completely loving everything for the entire party already. Wonderful.

:rolldice: < Welp, the game is hosed. Since a wookie with a rocketlauncher has now arrived <Rolling> Oh look, you do twenty damage, that's not enough to ki-
:downs: < My jawas fire now.
:rolldice: < *murderous DM glare*
:downs: < There's three and they do five each!

I'd prepped this guy to fight the party at full strength, he was a nemesis five with tons of power, but unfortunately in the confusion and anguish of having the entire logical proceedings completely loving broken I realize the party is not at full strength, I have the nemesis make a miraculous escape on a bike and give the party a chance to escape in the total loving chaos that ensues

:downs: < I follow...
:rolldice: < There's no free b-
:awesomelon: < Actually there is you mentioned them earlier
:rolldice: < oh. yes... silly me... back when things made sense.

So now my next session is coming, my party is in a position of near certain death and also its split ONCE AGAIN because of retard Chewbacca riding off into the sunset to chase and 'finish off' the nemesis. I can't retcon what he's done because I am an idiot and let it progress, every other party member is disheartened...

So yeah, in the future I'm going to tell him his ideas are retarded and not let them start
On the other hand by running off he has given you a perfect opening to kill off lovely Chewbacca and you can then tell him to be less of a shithead with his next character.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Motherfucker posted:

On the rerailing side of things, have they done anything to indicate they're with lovely Chewbacca? Because otherwise as far as the raiders are concerned all that happened is some random Wookie and his pet Jawwas took advantage of newbie recruit day for a failed assassination attempt. If Wookie is still in range suggest someone grab a gun and shoot out his tires while the other players murder the Jawwas. Heroes of the hour!

e: conveniently none of the raiders speak wookie.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 19, 2016

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Anora posted:

Well, this story is from three or more years ago, so it's probably safe to tell now, forewarning, I'm more then likely the bad in this story:

How I got an in production game to change it rules.

Oh god this reminds me of the Cucumber Law debacle.

A fair few years ago, I brought home a game I'd bought at a gaming con (Essen). It was this space-themed political game where each player was a faction in the Galactic Senate and you vied for political control of the galaxy, but you also had ships to take over systems more violently if need be. Anyway, I'd only played a quick game before with the designers walking me through it, so my friends and I pretty much learnt the game as we played it. The game made a big thing out of the fact that you could literally pass any law you wanted: as long as you didn't directly name a player or deal with actions outside the game itself, it was fair game, and once a law was passed disobeying it made your senators corrupt and less effective.

So we sat down to play, and right off the bat we realised that, while you couldn't name a player directly, you could make conditions so specific (i.e. the player who controls X planet, Y senator, etc) that it was basically the same thing, leading to one of the players being made to do all the bookkeeping for the remainder of the game, another player being basically blocked from moving his ships, etc. (We did repeal most of these laws right away as they made the game unplayable, but we kept the bookkeeping one because gently caress that guy).

We were all in a bit of a silly mood after all these weird laws, so I proposed to make the word "cucumber" illegal, as I'd read that talking was considered an in-game action and thus was fair game for laws. At the time this was an innocent joke suggestion, and I didn't expect anything to come of it. Sure enough, everybody voted it down. I declared this an outrage, and swore I'd one day bring down the cucumber Illuminati. From that point on, every turn I would propose the same law, it would get voted down, and we'd get on with the actual game. Serious laws were proposed, intrigue would happen, and so on. Everyone was very respectful of the law, so we didn't really get any corruption going until one player played a senator who was also an assassin, and used him to off influential opponents, accumulating a fair few corruption points. At that point we actually read what corruption points did: You got a -1 to most actions and die rolls per point. However, for every 3 such points, your senator also got a Shadow Point, which gave them a +1d6 bonus on everything as they gave in to the "dark side".

And then it hit me. I looked up to see my friend Dave had had the exact same though as me, and as we looked at each other we started giggling. We waited patiently until it was time to propose new laws, and I proposed the Cucumber Law once more. This time, though, Dave voted in favour, and between the two of us we had enough votes to pass it. Immediately afterwards, I declared myself in rebellion against the Senate, and began saying "cucumber" over and over again until my senators each had more than 60 Corruption points. While this gave them a huge penalty to basically everything, the average of a d6 being 3.5 meant every Shadow Point actually gave my guys an average 0.5 gain to their actions. Meaning that after 20 Shadow Points you had an effective +10 to just about everything: Assassinations were 99.99% likely to be complete successes, for instance, and a single ship led by that senator could reliably take on whole fleets. Combined with the fact that rebels had a free assassination attempt per senator per turn, and had big bonuses to their fleet actions... yeah.

It turned out I'd jumped the gun, though. As a rebel, I wasn't subject to Galactic Law, and so couldn't gain any corruption points. Fortunately, Dave had realised that there were no restrictions on trading senator cards, so I gave him mine, he filled them up with Shadow Points by repeatedly breaking the Cucumber Law, then sent them back so I could use them to assassinate people. We even did this during senate votes, where Dave would send me a few of his senators, I would use them to assassinate opponents' senators, then I'd send them back along with some of my own so he could use them in the vote. Basically, you'd have these outlaw war criminals strolling into the Senate with a fake mustache, removing the mustache to shoot their opponents across the Senate floor, then putting it back on again to vote on the day's agenda. The other players valiantly tried to play the game straight despite our heinous abuse of the game mechanics, and the game basically degenerated into a struggle between Dave's and my attempts to break the game over our knees and the other player's attempts to rein things in and have some semblance of order. It was actually tons of fun, we played through the entire night and finally called it quits at 9 the next morning. We never touched it again, but to this day I don't think I've ever had as much fun as with that gloriously broken game.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Or you could solve ooc problems by talking ooc about them.

Just saying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Whybird posted:

Or you could solve ooc problems by talking ooc about them.

Just saying.
This is true! There's two parts to the post, "This player's a tool" and "Our game is hosed". I've editted to make it more clear I was responding to the latter.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 19, 2016

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

This is true! There's two parts to the post, "This player's a tool" and "Our game is hosed". I've editted to make it more clear I was responding to the latter.

Sometimes it's fun to watch a system break and laugh at the author (but then cry a little bit when you realise they are being paid to do this stuff and you aren't). This ended up being the tone of our FF-SW game after we learned that autofire defines the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

Sometimes it's fun to watch a system break and laugh at the author (but then cry a little bit when you realise they are being paid to do this stuff and you aren't). This ended up being the tone of our FF-SW game after we learned that autofire defines the game.
I think Whybird was responding to my and Yvonmukluk's responses to Motherfucker. Occasionally breaking the gently caress out of games mechanically is just good times, and actually beneficial in pre-publish play like Anora's post.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 19, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah the whole point of playtesting games is to stress test the mechanics. If you don't try to break them you're playing them wrong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I love the face-man/roguey poo poo the DM lets me get away with.

I put on a disguise to make me look while a hobo, and I stumble around two dudes to overhear them while a drug deal goes down.

After I see the product get exchanged, I walk over and "bump" into the guy and steal the drugs right out of their pocket.

I quickly dash off to my Archivist buddy, who identifies it as some kind of mushroom spore. I take a small sample, then run back in the direction of the guy I stole from, change my appearance to look like a different hobo, and bump into him again to replace the drugs back into his pocket. Guy never knew it was missing.

Of course, I did throw Inspiration Points and Action Points into those disguise and sleight-of-hand checks to make sure they worked, but then that's why I love the Factotum class.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
And then later, the resident Psion uses Time Hop to make a rusted-over access hatch vanish just long enough for everyone to blindly jump into the the sewer pipe, plummeting into the depths of Undersharn. :allears:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He does it for multiple-groups but the campaign itself is the same one (although he constantly improves it). It's incredibly varied and pretty much no group goes through the same experience (a few of his players including myself, play in multiple-groups). Despite pretty much everything pre-planned or otherwise written out.

Coward posted:

:psyboom:

I can think of a couple of people I would pay to not GM, though.

If you're really good at something, never do it for free. This guy is the best GM I've had by a large margin, and that includes the time we had a fairly famous horror writer run a Call of Cthulu game for us at con. If I'm going to spend four hours of my extremely limited free time on something, I have no problem spending a bit of extra money so that the DM doesn't have to have a day job and can instead spend that time making his campaign better.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 20, 2016

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SweetBro posted:

If you're really good at something, never do it for free.
Studies have been done that show a significant drop in intrinsic motivation to do something once you add in an extrinsic motivation (e.g. money), so this is really bad advice for a lot of people who are good at a hobby but aren't looking to monetize it like some kind of Diet Gordon Gecko.

Or if you really need to be hypercapitalist about everything: I'm good at DMing, and I get paid in my players' enjoyment of and engagement with my creations. It's a barter system, but I feel well compensated.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Also you can't really get any qualifications for GMing and it's difficult to have a portfolio you can easily peruse for such a dynamic and interactive service.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

Studies have been done that show a significant drop in intrinsic motivation to do something once you add in an extrinsic motivation (e.g. money), so this is really bad advice for a lot of people who are good at a hobby but aren't looking to monetize it like some kind of Diet Gordon Gecko.

Or if you really need to be hypercapitalist about everything: I'm good at DMing, and I get paid in my players' enjoyment of and engagement with my creations. It's a barter system, but I feel well compensated.

Studies have shown pretty much everything including things that contradict other studies and yet somehow almost always conform to the biases of those performing the studies.

Maybe if you're such a good GM you should give it a try yourself. Otherwise you just come off as petty when you blindly bash someone turning a hobby into a career like that.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

HiKaizer posted:

Also you can't really get any qualifications for GMing and it's difficult to have a portfolio you can easily peruse for such a dynamic and interactive service.
As more and more rp goes online in one form or another that's getting less true. I, for example, was one of the main 'storytellers' on Paranoia-Live for several years. Digitally published modules can also pad a resume.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SweetBro posted:

Maybe if you're such a good GM you should give it a try yourself. Otherwise you just come off as petty when you blindly bash someone turning a hobby into a career like that.
Maybe I don't want to because that thing I just loving said. I GM games because it's fun, not because I'm looking to conjure a new revenue stream from the aether. If a given person can turn their hobby into a career and not hate said hobby after a year of doing it, good for him (or her). But for the majority of people, it's not feasible; either because it won't pay the bills or because getting paid to do something robs the fun out of doing it. I highly doubt your incredible DM is getting PTO, health insurance, and a matched 401k from a game shop. If he is, then he has found the One Retail to Rule Them All and I sincerely congratulate him. But more likely, he's getting paid enough to pay the rent and buy food and maybe sock a little away for if he gets sick or his car breaks down.

I'm not "blindly bashing" him for being a professional GM, I'm alertly bashing you because "never do anything unless you're getting paid to do it" is horseshit I'd expect out of a 14 year old who just finished jacking off to Atlas Shrugged.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The number of RPG podcasts available is another good indicator of that sort of thing. I'd be inclined to drop some cash on a session if it was run by or included some of the RPPR folks.

Also I backed a setting book Kickstarter at the $400 level because an old (and really good) DM of mine was in charge and that level's reward was having him run an adventure in the setting.

So there's definitely a market.

e: :yikes:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm not "blindly bashing" him for being a professional GM, I'm alertly bashing you because "never do anything unless you're getting paid to do it" is horseshit I'd expect out of a 14 year old who just finished jacking off to Atlas Shrugged.

Thank you. This is almost word-for-word what I was going to post myself.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

Thank you. This is almost word-for-word what I was going to post myself.

There's also that the story that SweetBro posted described it as a Pathfinder game, and sounded exactly like what all my gamer friends in high school thought would be "totally sweet dude": PCs in a D&D game being stuff like vampire/drow/half-celestial paladin/mage/assassins who had been around for 1000 years and had a really sick talking magic sword that disintegrated things and we just started the game and we're only level 5 man!

I'm guessing him and his 'totally awesome' DM are both under the age of 20 and the guy can afford to be a "professional" DM because the $25 a week he makes doing it is plenty since he still lives in his parents' basement.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
So much hate to be worked out in this thread. That's why you need me to GM your violence and stresses out. At a mere $30.00 per player per session it's a snap. That's about what you pay for :420: during a game anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Y'all are being some angry fuckers, so here's more 13th Age.

Last time I posted about this it was in loving January, and hoo boy has some poo poo happened. Last time, Nallon the Elven Wizard began a ritual with the rest of the town they were in (Greenest) to summon the very elements for protection. They do this yearly, and it's a little superstition but Nallon has suspicions that it has some truth behind it due to how elements work in the world.

Well, they enact the ritual which summons an elemental - which immediately takes a physical form (as normal) and is then immediately corrupted by the falling ash from the sky, into a twisted skyscraper sized monstrosity that was crying eternally (less normal). John, the "mayor" for lack of a better word, falls to the ground and weeps as the village's guardian has corrupted into this monstrosity, and the rest of the party springs into action.

The creature's existence has called upon the other creatures in the area too, and the horrid monstrosities (Twisted, my players named them) that were hiding nearby begin to surge the village in a huge horde. So the party splits up. Evan, the Necromancer, heads to the south side of town where most of the horde is coming from and starts summoning as many dead as he can - despite the immediate bad reaction from the rest of the village. The party convinces them to back off him to let him work during this, and the rest of the group goes to engage upon the twisted elemental (the party, as a reminder: Samiya, the Occultist. Masquerades as a Bard and the party at this point knows nothing about her abilities. Radret, Chosen Daughter of War, the Paladin. Nallon, the Elven Wizard and Truenamer. And Novelle, the Chaos Mage who doesn't actually exist).

And as the fight begins, I put on the proper music.

The day has shifted from gray and overcast as the rest of the world is to a terrible storm, almost instantly. Lightning strikes all around the village, scorching many of the survivors before they can take cover in their homes. And the party strikes at the elemental as fiercely as they can. But, almost nothing actually scratches the drat thing. Evan is getting overwhelmed to the south, though John has had time to gather everyone who's able to join the battle with the encroaching horde, despite the party's protests.

Radret is a loving champ in this battle. She's keeping the elemental engaged, and slamming it as hard as she can every round, while Samiya cheers her on (meaning she uses almost all of her actions on boosting Radret or loving up the elemental's rolls) while Nallon burns through every daily he has, before just resorting to pewing it with his Ray of Frost. Novelle's power wasn't cooperating (Icon/Defense mode for the first half of the fight) but he was able to keep people healed up due to it.

People are dying left and right down south, but Evan and his horde are winning against the horde of monsters. And then a song is sung.. A pair of masked people approach from the east, the song coming from one of them while the other furiously plays a drum. And with their music come miracles, blasts of lightning and divine fire to help Evan fight back the horde. These are Evan's old allies, soldiers under the Priestess. He knew they were a few days away from here, but as luck (and Icon Relationship dice) would have it, they had found the village. They were strong enough to travel the ash, just as the party was.

And the Elemental, in the center of the village, turns its gaze skyward and starts to scream. The storm calms, and Radret remembers the prophecy that Zacharie gave her. And she uses the Smite that she's been sitting on the entire battle. She rolled well - very well. And that blow sent the creature reeling, before it collapsed into the earth below, where it was finished off by the party.

The village was not saved. Countless men, women, and children were laying and dying in the streets - from collateral damage from the Wizard's spells, from the horrid lightning, or because they joined the battle against the creatures that could cleave through them as though they were butter.

But, Novelle has an idea. He clutches his key and immediately finds a door to Zacharie. And asks what the price would be to make sure that everyone lived - not that no one was harmed. But that everyone lived. The price was simple enough - a lock of the Chaos Mage's hair.

He readily accepts it, and suddenly, the wounds of the townspeople aren't as bad - what was thought to be a life threatening burn is painful, but healable. A claw that rended their throats now missed the vitals - they might have lost an arm from the blow, but they would live with immediate attention.

And that's when we ended that session, because that fight took several hours. Next time, the party begins to move to speak to the Priestess of Santa Cora, who is on the way to where the Elven Queen's throne is anyway, at the request of Evan's friends.

Evan himself elects to stay in the village as a guardian of it - they were not fond of his undead summoning, but the fact that he fought valiantly to protect the village got him a pass. For now.

So, the party minus a Necromancer but plus a Chaos Mage begin to make their way northward. First stop: New Port, where they would see if there were any survivors.