Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Cant wait to see Noomi Rapace in it. Maybe we will get some closure?

You need a new gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

There's a new Alien movie coming out next year called 'Alien: Covenant' which is a sequel to Prometheus and has a great cast.

And we might also get an original series sequel with Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn headed by Blomkamp, maybe, if the project hasn't been entirely scrapped.

Alien is back baby and let's talk about it

sounds dumb

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm one of those troglodytes that didn't like prometheus apart from the visuals but for some reason am very excited for convenant.

I'm more excited for it than I was for Prometheus but I'm trying to keep my hype tempered. I think part of the excitement is because of the way Prometheus wraps up there's not a lot of directions they could take a direct sequel in that wouldn't be unusual in some way.

Blomkamp's Alien 3, I'm not super excited about it but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I like everything that guy's directed a lot so even if it's a pointless retread movie I know it will at least look great and be fun.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 18, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I almost forgot to share this, but the 'Alien: Out of the Shadows' audiobook is free on Audible until the end of the month:

http://www.audible.com/mt/alien16?source_code=BUDFPEM1003160049

I haven't listened to it yet but the reviews I've read say that it's got great production values. Also it stars Rutger Hauer as a replicant artificial person, which is always a good time.

The premise is pretty eyeroll-inducing, but the author explained in an interview that the plot was mandated by Fox and wasn't his idea. The general consensus I've read is that the plot is decent in spite of its contrivances, and the author does his best with a bad idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That book is stinky. Also Hauer doesn't just play any artificial person, he plays Ash.

Also the ending is just the worst.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Also Hauer doesn't just play any artificial person

I was trying to avoid posting spoilers in case people cared! :ssh:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm pretty sure most people here don't.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I just read the synopsis and lol holy poo poo it would have been better if jones was the one woken up and dealing with this ridiculous poo poo instead, then getting back to sleep. It would have at least been funnier

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

I just read the synopsis and lol holy poo poo it would have been better if jones was the one woken up and dealing with this ridiculous poo poo instead, then getting back to sleep. It would have at least been funnier
Now I want to see Jones' adorable/terrifying space adventures, set between the first two movies. :3: :catstare:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Now I want to see Jones' adorable/terrifying space adventures, set between the first two movies. :3: :catstare:

Jonesy, the pilot cat, the cat who can fly a pod.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Or just the events of the original Alien entirely from Jones' POV. From basically Brett being killed until Ripley picks him up during the escape, he's out there alone dodging the 8 feet tall slasher monster.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I like the average housecat's odds against an Alien, to be frank. They can move through much smaller spaces and are considerably quicker, plus their senses are better than a human's.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Then it turns out Jones is one of those utterly ungraceful cats, the alien recognizes a fellow vicious predator, and being caught just means a lot of face squeezing and paw squishing and general cat bothering.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Look at the series of events from the countdown to the Nostromo blowing up. The Alien effortlessly destroys Parker and Lambert, then it attempts to menace Jones the cat but as soon as Jones reacts at all the Alien knocks over Jones' cat carrier in shock and immediately flees to the escape pod instead!

The Alien is canonically terrified by Jones the Cat. Not terrified by cats, just by Jones in particular. Ripley should have brought him on board the Sulaco after all.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 18, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Every time I watch Aliens I get slightly annoyed that Ripley doesn't want to bring Jones along. Didn't she learn anything from being frozen for 57 years? You may never see Jones again!And she doesn't

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Every time I watch Aliens I get slightly annoyed that Ripley doesn't want to bring Jones along. Didn't she learn anything from being frozen for 57 years? You may never see Jones again!And she doesn't

Didn't they clone Ripley from samples of her hair? If there's one thing I know about cat hair it's that it's in all clothing forever. In their hubris the Resurrection folks neglected to clone the one force on earth that could stop the xenomorph hordes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

The Alien effortlessly destroys Parker and Lambert.

If he only didn't throw his flame thrower on the ground and try to wrestle the alien filled with acid blood to death.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Basebf555 posted:

And she doesn't

For me this is the saddest part.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

For me this is the saddest part.

Eh, Jones probably latched onto whoever Ripley left him with and forgot she ever existed within an hour. Pets are like that.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Basebf555 posted:

Eh, Jones probably latched onto whoever Ripley left him with and forgot she ever existed within an hour. Pets are like that.

Yes but I'm thinking of Ripley here. All of A3 - remember that she has this in mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

Yes but I'm thinking of Ripley here. All of A3 - remember that she has this in mind.

I never really thought about it before because the movie is so focused on her grief over Newt.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tenzarin posted:

If he only didn't throw his flame thrower on the ground and try to wrestle the alien filled with acid blood to death.
Say what you will about Parker, but the man died in pursuit of a Dream - a singular, defined purpose he devoted his entire life to achieving. I hope one day I will find something that provides me with as much direction in my life as Parker's quest to Judo throw an extraterrestrial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhcjHhIapO4

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Say what you will about Parker, but the man died in pursuit of a Dream - a singular, defined purpose he devoted his entire life to achieving. I hope one day I will find something that provides me with as much direction in my life as Parker's quest to Judo throw an extraterrestrial.

I thought you were going to say that he wanted to discuss the bonus situation. I guess by the time he tries to wrestle an Alien the captain is already dead so he was hosed on that one.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Since everyone Ripley knew is long gone by Aliens we can assume poor Jones starved to death in that tiny rear end apartment.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I thought you were going to say that he wanted to discuss the bonus situation. I guess by the time he tries to wrestle an Alien the captain is already dead so he was hosed on that one.

I thought he was going for a pussy eating joke myself

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

thotsky fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 19, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't wait to see the Covenant space ship, that the movie is named after.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

I made that video. :v: I considered doing a coda for the Space Jockey, but I couldn't come up with a way to edit the footage without the Jockey still looking creepy as poo poo and undermining whatever funny text I put in.

When I have more free time I'd like to put together other similar edits for other movies, the Alien one was a lot of fun to make.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

I made that video. :v: I considered doing a coda for the Space Jockey, but I couldn't come up with a way to edit the footage without the Jockey still looking creepy as poo poo and undermining whatever funny text I put in.

When I have more free time I'd like to put together other similar edits for other movies, the Alien one was a lot of fun to make.
I didn't realize you made it, but I did see it from one of your posts. :)

Edit: oh hey your name is even on the video, how about that

david_a fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 19, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Xenomrph posted:

I made that video. :v:

Then I should tell you that they don't award posthumous Nobel Prizes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Since everyone Ripley knew is long gone by Aliens we can assume poor Jones starved to death in that tiny rear end apartment.

I thought he was going for a pussy eating joke myself

Pussy ate itself.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Apollodorus posted:

Then I should tell you that they don't award posthumous Nobel Prizes.

You learn something new every day.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Neo Rasa posted:

Look at the series of events from the countdown to the Nostromo blowing up. The Alien effortlessly destroys Parker and Lambert, then it attempts to menace Jones the cat but as soon as Jones reacts at all the Alien knocks over Jones' cat carrier in shock and immediately flees to the escape pod instead!

The Alien is canonically terrified by Jones the Cat. Not terrified by cats, just by Jones in particular. Ripley should have brought him on board the Sulaco after all.

I'm not sure I'd give the xenomorphs good odds against an equal number of large jungle cats, to be honest.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm not sure I'd give the xenomorphs good odds against an equal number of large jungle cats, to be honest.

Most jungle cats asphyxiate their kills, right? Plus, y'know, the whole acid for blood thing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
A big jungle cat could probably swipe a xenomorph quickly enough not to get burnt by the acid. And they'd be at least as good at hiding.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Apollodorus posted:

A big jungle cat could probably swipe a xenomorph quickly enough not to get burnt by the acid. And they'd be at least as good at hiding.

This worked out good in Alien vs Predator, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBO04JXfYS8&t=88s. Maybe if like the jungle cats out bred the aliens, but then it would be like bees killing humans.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Good lord that movie was so bad. That's the first time I've rewatched any part of it since I saw it in theaters on release. That fight scene looks like it came out of a goddamn fan film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

wuffles posted:

Good lord that movie was so bad. That's the first time I've rewatched any part of it since I saw it in theaters on release. That fight scene looks like it came out of a goddamn fan film.

That's what makes Requiem, with all of its flaws, still a lot better than AvP. The scene in the sewers is infinitely better in terms of showing how a Predator from the original films would probably go about fighting Xenos.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Requiem goes in the opposite direction, though, and makes the stealthy, silent xenos hunt like zombies.

Even the zerg rushes in Aliens (rush in the regular edition) were a strategic move to overwhelm, ordered by the Queen. Everything else was still stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Requiem goes in the opposite direction, though, and makes the stealthy, silent xenos hunt like zombies.

Even the zerg rushes in Aliens (rush in the regular edition) were a strategic move to overwhelm, ordered by the Queen. Everything else was still stealth.

You could argue that they're using a similar strategy in Requiem though, at least in that sewer scene. They have the numbers advantage and they're trying to overwhelm the Predator as quickly as possible .