Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Naturally Selected posted:

Also, I hate the name Corolla. It just sounds annoying for some reason in english, and in Russian it's way too close to the word for cow (korova).
Toyota had this weird thing about naming stuff after crowns, like Honda with musical terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Naturally Selected posted:

LaCrosse. Envision. Trax.

Nova. Not because of the lolspanish thing. More of a why would you name your car after a thermonuclear explosion thing.

Also, I hate the name Corolla. It just sounds annoying for some reason in english, and in Russian it's way too close to the word for cow (korova).

The Passat also sounds like Russian for "to take a piss"

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Soarer posted:

The Passat also sounds like Russian for "to take a piss"

For some reason I never gave that much thought. On point though. Corolla/Korova are just so close. (Also they're both slow, clumsy and ugly :v: )

Also I actually googled the corolla thing and man I wish there were a lot more explanations than there are. Example:

quote:

Yaris? According to the company, it's "an amalgamation of words from Greek mythology and German. In Greek mythology, 'Charis' was a symbol of beauty and elegance. Toyota swapped the 'Ch' with 'Ya' – German for 'yes' – to symbolize the perceived reaction of European markets to the car's styling."

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
They misspelt 'ja'. Toyota Jarvis.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I always thought it was a bastardization of "yari" - some sort of Japanese spear. The actual explanation is...less interesting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

They misspelt 'ja'. Toyota Jarvis.
I'd buy one if the satnav voice was an exasperated Paul Bettany.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Mystique

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bentayga.
Enclave.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

'a bent gay' *childish giggling*

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ssangyong Rexton - pronounced 'rectum'.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
BMW X1 sDrive 118d EfficientDynamics Edition

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Crosstrek
VehiCROSS
Crosscabriolet (Murano)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
RAM

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

Do you mean "Granada", or is there a Grenada which I've never heard of?

Also, while not necessarily bad names, some do end up with unintended connotations:

Note that Fiesta had been around for ten years by the time Ford came to name their new supermini.

Well there are two of them, but both are "Granada":

vs

Scorpios... was an improvement, I think.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

stevobob posted:

Crosstrek
VehiCROSS
Crosscabriolet (Murano)

The Vehicross owns tho

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The Vehicross owns tho

Agreed, but I think you could get me to say that about literally any tiny SUV boy from before 2000.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Humbug posted:

BMW X1 sDrive 118d EfficientDynamics Edition

Und now in German!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Porsche Macan and Cayenne is the Porsche you buy when you want to say you have a Porsche without having to shell out for a 718, Cayman, Panamera, or 911 :colbert:

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I gave it a chance to grow on me but it never did, so ON NAME ALONE unfortunately I must submit the Ferrari LaFerrari

(Stolen from a Games thread title) "We let the intern name the car"

Counterpoint, names that own: THE GRAND MARQUIS

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

iospace posted:

The Porsche Macan and Cayenne is the Porsche you buy when you want to say you have a Porsche without having to shell out for a 718, Cayman, Panamera, or 911 :colbert:

Yeah, that's the most ridiculous poo poo I've heard. The Cayenne bases for more than the Cayman and 718.

The Macan or Cayenne is the Porsche you buy when you've already got a 911 in the garage and want a Porsche SUV. Real talk.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 19, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, that's the most ridiculous poo poo I've heard. The Cayenne bases for more than the Cayman and 718.

The Macan or Cayenne is the Porsche you buy when you've already got a 911 in the garage and want a Porsche SUV. Real talk.

I see Cayennes/Macans practically daily. Any of Porsche's non-SUVs? Rare.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's the general trend these days though. You see loads more X5s than you do 5 series.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Every discount doctor I've seen drives a 5-10 year old Cayenne. I see them everywhere in Scottsdale. I don't ever see a 911 or Cayman unless it's like a trauma doctor who also owns an M6.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Cinquecento

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Aztek

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

iospace posted:

I see Cayennes/Macans practically daily. Any of Porsche's non-SUVs? Rare.

That's because most 911 owners don't DD them.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Every discount doctor I've seen drives a 5-10 year old Cayenne. I see them everywhere in Scottsdale. I don't ever see a 911 or Cayman unless it's like a trauma doctor who also owns an M6.

My doctor drives an armored up LX470 :v: :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 19, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
CRVEX

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We're doing trim packages too? How about the Jeep Comanche Eliminator?

Mine is even white. Yes, a white Comanche Eliminator. I think whoever came up with that was probably a KKK member or something.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Used cayennes are relatively cheap and cool

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

InitialDave posted:

Do you mean "Granada", or is there a Grenada which I've never heard of?

Also, while not necessarily bad names, some do end up with unintended connotations:

Note that Fiesta had been around for ten years by the time Ford came to name their new supermini.

I'd pay good money for a Lincoln Hustler

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zonda

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Buick Skyhawk (is there any other kind of hawk?)
Pontiac Parisienne
Plymouth Volare
Pontiac 6000

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'd pay good money for a Lincoln Hustler

Plymouth Playboy

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
BRAT, Mighty Boy, Jimny

kastein posted:

We're doing trim packages too? How about the Jeep Comanche Eliminator?

Mine is even white. Yes, a white Comanche Eliminator. I think whoever came up with that was probably a KKK member or something.

If your truck isn't named something like General Custer or Andrew Jackson, I will lose all respect for you. And punch you

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

BRAT, Mighty Boy, Jimny

Sorry, these are all fantastic names.

'Starion' is a bad one.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There are no bad names only bad cars

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Toyota Emina
Toyota Curren
Toyota Corolla Levin

If you've been to Levin you'll know why. I don't mean to pick on Toyota but those are what came to mind

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I wonder if Italians think the Ford Five Hundred has a stupid name?

slothrop posted:

Toyota Corolla Levin

If you've been to Levin you'll know why. I don't mean to pick on Toyota but those are what came to mind
Levin is an old English word for lightning, and the related Trueno is a Spanish word for thunder.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Mitsubishi Starion

A name that is literally 'flied lice'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

Mitsubishi Starion

A name that is literally 'flied lice'

As much as I would love to believe that story*, I'm like 99% sure at this point in time that it's apocryphal.

*the story goes, for those that don't know it, that the Mitsubishi Starion was supposed to be called the Stallion, but because there's no L sound in the Japanese language and they often pronounce that letter as an R sound, they called it the Starion instead. The Mitsubishi Colt and little known Kuda (Indonesian for horse) give a little bit of credence to the theory that they were going for a horse naming theme, and the Pajero (Spanish for masturbator or something like that) shows that maybe they aren't all there when it comes to naming their vehicles for foreign markets, but I'm still fairly skeptical. The company claims that the name comes from the words Star (Astron/Sirius engines) and Arion (mythological very fast horse) and I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, Starions are cool cars, you can cram a fuckton of boost into them with stock internals because they came with forged pistons and 7.6:1 compression from the factory.