Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

CJacobs posted:

edit: By which I mean, some of the enemy types in Shadow Warrior 1 sucked real bad and I'm glad they don't return here.

Same. loving shield guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
So I see that people want to see the return of the swarms of flying rear end in a top hat pricks who never flew on your level and that you could only slaughter by using a flamethrower that was more useless than the smgs.

Also constantly teleporting banshees.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

InfinityComplex posted:

So I see that people want to see the return of the swarms of flying rear end in a top hat pricks who never flew on your level and that you could only slaughter by using a flamethrower that was more useless than the smgs.

Also constantly teleporting banshees.

To be honest I do. They give you all these new combat options and then reduce the enemy combat options, what the hell? I'd love to play the first game with the weapon and skill system from this one.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

You are a terrible person for wanting cliff racers

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

InfinityComplex posted:

You are a terrible person for wanting cliff racers
The drat drones are annoying enough as it is.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Zereth posted:

The drat drones are annoying enough as it is.

Thats what shotguns are for.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I did enjoy the story a fair bit upon replaying; it's been 5 years since the last game and the world's gone to poo poo so I don't blame Lo Wang for his attitude problem..thinking you saved the world when you didn't would be a hard pill for him to swallow.

About Amonea
I was a bit shocked by her character but she lost both Hoji and Enra at the end of the first game; given what happens at the ending it's clear she's gone off the rails and isn't really indictive of who she was before the Collision. I also wouldn't take whoever said Hoji was using her at face value since apart from Xing it's not like any of the immortals can really be trusted at their word.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

People forget that they had to buff SW1's weapons in a patch and you had to rely on your sword 90% of the time, even post-patch. Oh, in SW2 you can deal with orbs with a shotgun perfectly but SW1 threw flying enemies all day and you had useless weapons.

SW1 was an amazing game but SW2 has better shooting and it's even repayable with different skillsets.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jblade posted:

I did enjoy the story a fair bit upon replaying; it's been 5 years since the last game and the world's gone to poo poo so I don't blame Lo Wang for his attitude problem..thinking you saved the world when you didn't would be a hard pill for him to swallow.

About Amonea
I was a bit shocked by her character but she lost both Hoji and Enra at the end of the first game; given what happens at the ending it's clear she's gone off the rails and isn't really indictive of who she was before the Collision. I also wouldn't take whoever said Hoji was using her at face value since apart from Xing it's not like any of the immortals can really be trusted at their word.

I kept waiting for the shoe to drop and for Wang to have a character-building moment where he comes to terms with the fact that he didn't actually save anything despite being the big hero, and in fact made the world 1000 times worse... but I don't think it's a spoiler to say that it never comes, and I was really really disappointed.

And regarding your spoiler, yeah, I felt the same way about it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I would like SW1 with mechanics that feels as good as this game's, rather than the garbage worst-gunfeel-ever thing it had going, because yeah, it bums me out that this is so badly written after SW1. :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CJacobs posted:

And regarding your spoiler, yeah, I felt the same way about it.

i mean, i get where the game was trying to go with it, but it's such a lovely cheap-out instead of actually writing something good. not to mention that it feels like a band-aid to explain the wildly different characterization that feels shoehorned in

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mean, i get where the game was trying to go with it, but it's such a lovely cheap-out instead of actually writing something good. not to mention that it feels like a band-aid to explain the wildly different characterization that feels shoehorned in

I agree with that too. Her whole character and the things she does in the story are not very well executed, but I can see what they were going for and so they get at least some points for that imo.

edit: It's 3 days later and I'm still pissed off about the unbelievable cop-out ending, by the way. What a trainwreck.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
This side quest to get whiskey sure is throwing superior enemies that heal themselves and are immune to everything I've got alright :shepface:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Just got the Blade of Exile.

Hoji was a wonderful character and Lo Wang's only real friend. Seeing Lo Wang get it and Kamiko loving with him like the time Hoji hosed with him when they first met was kind of endearing.

I'm gonna rip everybody a new one for you Hoji :rock:

Jblade posted:

Honestly I think him losing Hoji was just as bad as him knowing he's responsible for the apocalypse. His only friend died to save him while attempting to save the world, and he ended up loving it all over.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 19, 2016

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

nerdz posted:

and yeah, no reason at all to invest in survivability. just put all the spell slots on extra chi and chi drain and you'll never lack chi for healing.

I invested in the Max HP skill because otherwise I kept getting pulled in and surrounded my mobs and quickly (like near-instantly) getting torn to pieces.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

lol just noticed this constellation up in the sky

called the Big Wanger maybe??

this loving game :allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kuroiXiru posted:

I invested in the Max HP skill because otherwise I kept getting pulled in and surrounded my mobs and quickly (like near-instantly) getting torn to pieces.

Are mashing Dodge fast enough?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Honestly I have the HP skill maxed, but it's there just to prevent me from getting one shotted and giving me time to get the deal with buried by enemies. Seeing there is quite a few times where I've been surrounded and dashing out of there wouldn't work. Like can't dash or air dash out of there situation.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Are mashing Dodge fast enough?

Yeah of course. But in the instances where I got one-shot I couldn't dodge past them cause I was completely surrounded. This way I've got a little time to cut one enemy down to make way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kuroiXiru posted:

Yeah of course. But in the instances where I got one-shot I couldn't dodge past them cause I was completely surrounded.

Are you playing on Hard or Insane? Cause I don't remember ever getting one-shot on Hard and I never specced HP.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Insane.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There are a couple of creatures that can hit you for a lot of damage on Insane. The dual sword dudes (Goros?) can with their leap attack, and some of the elite mini bosses or whatever sure as heck can. Maxed health and around 35% damage resistance I can still take a hit that brings me down to 20 health.

I highly recommend the skill that makes you immune to the auras of monsters.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

There are a couple of creatures that can hit you for a lot of damage on Insane. The dual sword dudes (Goros?) can with their leap attack, and some of the elite mini bosses or whatever sure as heck can. Maxed health and around 35% damage resistance I can still take a hit that brings me down to 20 health.

I highly recommend the skill that makes you immune to the auras of monsters.

Yea, about that DR...

its bugged and increases your damage taken

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
wow :stare:

Good thing I'm not stacking that then.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea, about that DR...

its bugged and increases your damage taken

Oh holy poo poo. :allbuttons:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

NIEC

TIME TO DO DANGER MODE INSANE

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Playing with lag will give you a serious appreciation for the health skill. 2 points for 20 health is peanuts anyway

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there any reason to use the dual-wielding over the ammo-doubling mod? Dual wielding makes you spend more ammo, deal less damage per shot, makes you a lot less accurate (so more of that damage is wasted), and makes you spend more time reloading.

Ammo doubling just gives you a flat damage boost in exchange for double ammo costs.

Is it just for style points?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know the name of that track that seems to play every time you fight the DOLLs? It's got the screechy robo voice part in it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Digirat posted:

Is there any eventual possibility of basic modding?

Possible, but unlikely. Don't hold your breath for anything major.

Digirat posted:

Would enjoy a greater number of lower-health enemies instead of the same number of enemies but with more health.

So would everybody, but as I discussed earlier in the thread there's probably significant performance issues with pushing the enemy count much higher than it already goes.

Its a common problem in FPS design. You design encounters for normal mode to have 20 enemies and then give them enough polys to look good and render 20 of them on screen at once, but then you want to offer hard and very hard difficulties. Short of re-creating the models and animations for those enemies at lower levels of detail (tons of work) the only real option is to buff their HP.

But bullet sponges are never as fun as just killing more enemies, I completely agree. I think most FPS games need to deliberately include some extremely low-poly mook enemies so they can flood the game with them if they want to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any reason to use the dual-wielding over the ammo-doubling mod? Dual wielding makes you spend more ammo, deal less damage per shot, makes you a lot less accurate (so more of that damage is wasted), and makes you spend more time reloading.

Ammo doubling just gives you a flat damage boost in exchange for double ammo costs.

You have to spend more time reloading either way, and ammo doubling makes you fire slower unless I'm crazy.

Dual Wielding does more damage but chews through ammo faster, as a result. And the accuracy kinda depends upon which gun you're dualing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only listed effects on ammo doubling, as well as the only ones I've noticed myself experiencing, are more damage and 2 ammo cost per shot

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Honestly I find the double ammo mod chews through my stocks faster than the dual wield mod. Far faster than it actually.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has any else found these?

I accidentally fell out of bounds from a level, landed on a tiny platform with a chest on it and found these in there.
There was no way out so I had to kill myself to get back to the level proper.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Double ammo on the minigun is the way to go. :getin:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jack Trades posted:

Has any else found these?

I accidentally fell out of bounds from a level, landed on a tiny platform with a chest on it and found these in there.
There was no way out so I had to kill myself to get back to the level proper.

Yeah found them on my run. They were pretty good at the time

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Anybody know what the effects of all the elements are? The only two that you can figure out from the game itself are toxic (causes corpses to explode) and ice (slows and freezes). No idea what the special effect of electric and fire is.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lightning stuns and does a small DOT, fire maybe just does high DOT, not sure.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DatonKallandor posted:

Anybody know what the effects of all the elements are? The only two that you can figure out from the game itself are toxic (causes corpses to explode) and ice (slows and freezes). No idea what the special effect of electric and fire is.
Poison does DoT as well as having the enemy explode if they die while poisoned.

Ice slows enemies down and causes them to shatter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So I just finished the game for the first time. Took me 18 hours and I found 65 weapons. Does anyone know how many weapons there are in total?

The story was clearly cut down to the barebones cutscenes and there's like at least half of the story missing but I don't really care since the gameplay was a loving blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

So would everybody, but as I discussed earlier in the thread there's probably significant performance issues with pushing the enemy count much higher than it already goes.

Its a common problem in FPS design. You design encounters for normal mode to have 20 enemies and then give them enough polys to look good and render 20 of them on screen at once, but then you want to offer hard and very hard difficulties. Short of re-creating the models and animations for those enemies at lower levels of detail (tons of work) the only real option is to buff their HP.

But bullet sponges are never as fun as just killing more enemies, I completely agree. I think most FPS games need to deliberately include some extremely low-poly mook enemies so they can flood the game with them if they want to.

Without changing enemy numbers at all (probably a difficult thing to mod, I'm aware) I would like to see enemies have less health but be more dangerous or interesting to fight in other ways (simply making superior guys way more rare would go a long way to making this happen, or removing the "physical resist" trait because it sucks). In solo normal I can kill little guys in 1 hit from a burst damage weapon and that feels really good. in multiplayer Hard, some enemies can withstand an entire clip point blank. Then it spawns 3-5 of these guys at once sometimes, and your powers aren't guaranteed to work on them. It makes me wary of adding a third player to the game, because this aspect of it would drag on even longer.

I enjoy more enemies having resistances and weaknesses on hard because it encourages you to quick switch weapons around and react on the fly. If I could get that aspect of Hard combined with the lethality of the enemies, but not the sponginess, it would be awesome.

Nuclear throne gets this right: It's constantly increasing the difficulty, but long before it just adds to the health of the existing enemies, it keeps throwing more of them at you. This means the game gets more satisfying the more difficult it gets, because you're cleaning through enemies faster. If you make a game harder by just giving enemies more health, then higher difficulty becomes less satisfying, because it just takes longer to beat the same number of dudes.

• Locked thread