Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Colonial Air Force posted:

First against the wall

I'm getting into Tanks! and will be buying Open Fire! Tonight for Tanks and it's own FoW Lite. I plan on painting the Germans like the Wolfenstein 3d Germans. I just need a Wolf 3d sound and music program for my Android.

Also I could use it to run OPERATION DARKNESS: the SRPG with the best concepts ruined by game execution. British SAS Werewolves (and friends like a pyro kinetic and Herbert West) vs Nazi Vampires. I mean gotta put those Arcane Legions figures to use somehow..

Brits I'll probably do close to accurate. Right now my Tanks! are just cemented and some Devlan Mud wash. Which kinda looks good on the colored sprues. Given I don't know what colors the tanks and armies will be eventually I haven't bothered to paint the treads yet.

vvv Ive heard tales about Dust. I do have the Achtung Cthulhu Dust book and might buy the Godlike book (A C is Savage Worlds and 6th ed Call of Cthulhu dual system. I love me BRP Call of Cthulhu and have a big amount of Savage Worlds too.)

But some of yall might like my unboxing article on Tanks! http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/10/tanks-first-lookunboxing.html Full of pictures of Tanks.

And my British tanks (pre Devlan Mud wash) made some :3: friends:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
You should check out some Weird War 2 rulesets like Konflikt 47, Dust, or AE:WW2

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Enentol posted:

Anyone have a good colour for British/US armour?

I'm looking to paint some Shermans and Universal Carriers for my Canadians. I picked up Russian Uniform - but it's much lighter than I was looking for. Reflective Green is also much too green.

The Vallejo Olive Drab Surface Primer looks better? Can you brush that on?

Could someone suggest a Vallejo olive drab colour? Vallejo is what I can get easiest. Also, not a fan of mixing, so if someone has a single colour, that would be awesome.

Looking like VA Brown Violet washed GW Agrax Earthshade may be the winner right now to try next.

Brown.

NTRabbit posted:

When my Tanks arrives, I'm going to use the Vallejo olive drab primer to paint my Shermans the wrong shade of green for the European theatre in 1944, and there's not a drat thing you can do about it :unsmigghh:

I'm going to paint my Puma in 36th Lyran Guards parade colours and make all the :reject: mad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kommando posted:

I'm going to paint my Puma in 36th Lyran Guards parade colours and make all the :reject: mad.
Dude I know did his entire Soviet army as Imperial Fists, but then started working for GW and went full company zombie and I don't think they ever actually made the table.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Got my craigslist Bolt Action haul in the mail. Not bad for $80. Now I just need to figure out what to do with them. I believe they are all Fallschirmjager guys

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

goodness posted:

Got my craigslist Bolt Action haul in the mail. Not bad for $80. Now I just need to figure out what to do with them. I believe they are all Fallschirmjager guys

I think the answer is have a really solid german veteran list for 1000 points with some options, which is pretty much all you'll need.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Apparently we're getting FoW v4 next year, so everyone proceed to your designated panic bunkers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Isn't the consensus that Team Yankee is already a smoother playing FoW? V4 might be a really good thing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

moths posted:

Isn't the consensus that Team Yankee is already a smoother playing FoW? V4 might be a really good thing.

Depends what they take for it, really. They're redoing the point scale apparently.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

moths posted:

Team Yankee is good enough that I lost interest in playing FoW all together. IMHO they should just covert over all of it into TY, but if they are just going to take the highlights I'd port over the formation based list building, command and hit allocation rules.

I don't know how they are going to make Mid War having TY style points and unit cards but Early and Late war being more "old school" FoW work.. just seems to me like it would simplify things to go all the way, one way or another.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I need these!

http://wargamesillustrated.net/shop/two-bastards/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

spectralent posted:

Apparently we're getting FoW v4 next year, so everyone proceed to your designated panic bunkers.

Makes sense, haven't they pretty much run out of theater books to sell?

Redo the point scale and shovel 'em all back out!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Thundercloud posted:

I think the answer is have a really solid german veteran list for 1000 points with some options, which is pretty much all you'll need.

I'm reading through that WW2 infantry tactics book in hopes to learn a little about them. Is 1000pt the typical Bolt action list?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there any decent naval battle game in the vein of that star wars one/armada/drop fleet commander? I'm thinking 4-8 ships per side, approx 1-2hrs per game.

Anything up to WW1 is fine with me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sails of Glory.

I wrote a whole AAR about it, I'll see if I can find it in the thread.

E:

TO WILLIAM MARSDEN, ESQ., ADMIRALTY

Vanguard, near Grenada, 28th June, 1804.

Sir,

You will be pleased to acquaint the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty that a victory has been earned in the West Indies. A Detachment of three of His Majesty's Ships, being HMS Vanguard under command of Commodore Rob't Danforth, HMS Terpsichore under command of Post Captain Jacob Atkinson, and HMS Concorde under command of Master and Commander Bailey Edwards, engaged a greater force of four French ships believed to be Genereux, Unite, Hermione, and Alligator. The Action was close resulting in the unfortunate Loss of Terpsichore and Concorde, but also the three lesser French Ships.

It is with great Honor that I add the capture of Genereux, a Third Rate of 74 guns.

Attached are Copies of the Action itself with more Detail.

Your most humble & obed't, &c.,

COMMODORE DANFORTH

--

The prizes (British v. French):

Starting positions:

The wind is blowing from the East as the fleets spot one another.

Commodore! French sails to Starboard!

Both fleets move to engage. HMS Swan is directed to find the rest of the fleet.

(I made a mistake in issuing orders to HMS Swan, which is easy to do in this game, and sent it off the table in the second turn.)

The British line remains intact, while the French do something else entirely

The French commander was not paying attention

The Alligator collides with what we thought was Genereux (but it turns out my nephew had some ships confused, which we promptly fixed), and takes damage.

Ce n'est pas Le Genereux, Monsieur! C'est L'Unite!

The fleets are close enough now that combat is inevitable.

The British commodore splits his line to deal with the French and the first cannons roar from both sides

Hermione is hit with a devestating broadside from HMS Vanguard. Vanguard is struck with a meager showing by Hermione

A quick turn to larboard separates the smaller Aligator from his French friends

Alligator, now separated, takes another hit from HMS Vanguard Unite takes shots from HMS Terpsichore Terpsichore loses some crew to cannon fire from Unite

The brave British Tars continue to maneuver like bold young seamen while the French prove they're no match at navigating the sea

Terpsichore loses some crew to cannon fire from Unite HMS Concorde loses crew from shots by Unite Alligator is once again beset by fire, this time from both Terpsichore and HMS Vanguard

The British begin turning their formation about

HMS Terpsichore is struck by a single ball with moderate effect as Alligator desperately tries to survive. HMS Concorde suffers a heavy broadside from Genereux, but manages to retaliate sharply as well as striking Hermione and killing more French sailors.

The French commodore realizes he has the weather gauge and finally orders his fleet to regain composure

In the confusion and smoke, Terpsichore and Concorde collide

Taking advantage of the collision, Alligator lets loose in to HMS Concorde. But despite the jarring shudder of two ships bumping one another, Concorde returns fire and sinks the Alligator, and fires on Genereux from the other side!

L'Alligator has sunk!

Free of entanglements, the fleets begin to reform, all the while working their guns

...and then the French collide again!

Hermione and Genereux smash each others timbers Terpsichore takes a devastating broadside from Genereux Hermione is sunk by HMS Terpsichore, undone by her own navigational incompetence

L'Hermione has sunk!

She should have watched where she was going

Unite fires in to HMS Concorde and send her to the depths

Unite takes an opportunity and sinks HMS Concorde as Terpsichore returns fire on Genereux

The odds are starting to even out, although a keen eye sees more damage on the French fleet

Hot flames spew forth from cannons' mouths once more

Unite again fires on Terpsichore who is now limping along, while Genereux opens up on HMS Vanguard. The British return fire and watch their balls penetrate deeply.

These Frenchmen are crazy!

Unite rams Vanguard! And then promptly sinks.

HMS Terpsichore chases Genereux while HMS Vanguard repositions after the ramming action

Genereux proves it still has some tricks and pulls away from Terpsichore - and right in to a strong firing position!

Genereux slips by and destroys Terpsichore, who managed to get off one last broadside.

Board boys, board!

After some maneuvers and chasing, HMS Vanguard rolls up to Genereux and aboard they go!

Genereux strikes her colours!

The British are victorious! God Save the King!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Southern Heel posted:

Is there any decent naval battle game in the vein of that star wars one/armada/drop fleet commander? I'm thinking 4-8 ships per side, approx 1-2hrs per game.

Anything up to WW1 is fine with me.

Topside minis makes good quality stickers for plywood bases affordable "minis" and has a WW1 Falklands set, and a WW1 Jutland set on the way, and they recommend some rules to use

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

goodness posted:

I'm reading through that WW2 infantry tactics book in hopes to learn a little about them. Is 1000pt the typical Bolt action list?

Either 1000 or 1250, depending on your area. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a game with a 1000 point list.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

I definitely ordered these

Also check out my painted Confederates for Sharp Practice =) worked really hard on these

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/10/confederates-for-sharp-practice-and.html?m=1

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I really like the palette you went with- the looted Union pants look a little off from the classic sky blue but it looks really good next to all the grey/tan/brown. Nice work.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
:agreed:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I really like the palette you went with- the looted Union pants look a little off from the classic sky blue but it looks really good next to all the grey/tan/brown. Nice work.

Thanks! Maybe it's the lighting, I used Vallejo Sky Blue.

Kinda historical I suppose, this really unique kickstarter funded a while ago and my four year old and I played tonight, it was fun! We just used toy model dinosaurs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1489125413/cretacea-the-game-of-gargantuan-survival/comments?cursor=14491186&direction=asc

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Are you saying I can expect to be playing wargames with my son in as little as 3 years? :getin:

How does he do with rules?

DiHK fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 19, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

DiHK posted:

Are you saying I can expect to be playing wargames with my son in as little as 3 years? :getin:

How does he do with rules?

He does OK with xwing, we use about half the rules, like no cards or damage cards or special stuff, just shields and hull and maneuvering. This Dino game is super simple and themey so he likes it. The biggest thing is attention span, after about twenty minutes he's done.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'm working through figuring out what the weapons my guys have and can't tell what one is. It looks like a small lmg but it has a drum magazine attached. (german guys)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

goodness posted:

I'm working through figuring out what the weapons my guys have and can't tell what one is. It looks like a small lmg but it has a drum magazine attached. (german guys)

Is it just an MG34/42 with a drum mag? They had those too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Does the drum mag look like an air filter?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sails of Glory.

I wrote a whole AAR about it, I'll see if I can find it in the thread.

E:

My goodness I must have this game.

Also does anyone know where I can buy a giant captain's hat?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Sails of Glory is cool - the movement mechanic is particularly sweet - but you stand forewarned: it is extremely fiddly. There are a sick number of chits and markers and cards and poo poo to worry about. Games do not go quickly, and controlling more than a ship or two is onerous. Oh, and unless you're really careful, your ships will crash into each other. It's fantastic conceptually, but would probably be better suited to play over something like VASSAL where a computer could keep track of all of the fiddly poo poo for you.

EDIT: Also - http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/232067577857?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I went to a historical con this year and there was a group playing this ACW ironclad battle game that had the most insane charts and tables to resolve everything I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure they actually had to calculate firing solutions with slide rules and poo poo based on the roll of waves/range/environmental conditions.

As terribly spergy as lining up my mans to get them in a proper firing line can be, the naval games seem to go waaaaaaaaay deeper.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I would play the gently caress out of an accessible Ironclad game. I would paint a million ironclads.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Does the drum mag look like an air filter?

Possibly? The gun is thinner than the actual lmgs .

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

...the most insane charts and tables...
"They're called 'binomial nomographs,' and if your game doesn't have them, it's totally scrub tier."
:goonsay:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ilor posted:

"They're called 'binomial nomographs,' and if your game doesn't have them, it's totally scrub tier."
:goonsay:
Having flashbacks to that time I tried to teach myself Squadron Strike and Birds of Prey.

Nomographs are good and cool, but please get someone else to write your rulebooks. Please.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ilor posted:

Sails of Glory is cool - the movement mechanic is particularly sweet - but you stand forewarned: it is extremely fiddly. There are a sick number of chits and markers and cards and poo poo to worry about. Games do not go quickly, and controlling more than a ship or two is onerous. Oh, and unless you're really careful, your ships will crash into each other. It's fantastic conceptually, but would probably be better suited to play over something like VASSAL where a computer could keep track of all of the fiddly poo poo for you.

EDIT: Also - http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/232067577857?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

There are a lot of chits, but they're not hard to manage with the boards you get. For a short have, 2 ships a side I'd probably good.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hmm, I was looking for something more like X-wing than something extremely complicated. :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

goodness posted:

Possibly? The gun is thinner than the actual lmgs .
Just take a picture of it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's really quite a bit like X-Wing (or Wings of Glory, really). And you can play without the chits other than damage, really, just use the basic rules.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Just make sure your sextant is calibrated.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

muggins posted:

I would play the gently caress out of an accessible Ironclad game. I would paint a million ironclads.

The complicated one is probably one of the versions of the old Yaquinto boardgames "Ironclads". I've been playing that off and on since about 1980. It's got a data card for every ship with weapons, armor, and maneuver data; uses plotted movement, and isn't reeeeeally all that complex. You'd want the edition done by 3W, it's got the expansion set worked in so you get all the European and South American ironclads.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6924/shot-and-shell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna get into Victory At Sea since I hear its awesome ww2 sea combat. Is it good? Is there a better game?

What minis are high quality? What scale is good? Price is not a problem atm and neither is painting.