Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zephro posted:

Sometimes if you spectate on a match on Jinteki.net you can see the player's hands, and sometimes you can't. Anyone know whether that's a bug or some kind of feature that I've been accidentally turning on and off?

It's a feature, host decides whether or not to implement it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Could you multibox, playing a game as User and setting that feature to 'on,' then open up Jinteki in another window and spectate your own match to see the opponent's hand?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

The Lord of Hats posted:

Thanks!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Could you multibox, playing a game as User and setting that feature to 'on,' then open up Jinteki in another window and spectate your own match to see the opponent's hand?

Yeah. But that's just bad form. Just like you can 'forget' all sorts of things that aren't automated in Jnet. Plus, you can see who the spectators are. The setting is there for Jnet tournament streams and tourneys. I did enable the setting for all the Jnet league games I hosted, because I think it makes it more enjoyable for the person who is spectating.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Man I can't wait for Andy and (especially) Whizzard to rotate out.

edit: in fact, meta moan incoming:

Is there a way to make strategies other than FA and Rush reliable these days? Rumour Mill seems like it single-handedly makes glacier almost worthless just by including it in any deck that also runs money and breakers. Slums, Whizzard, Scrubber and Temujin make horizontal decks very very hard to play as well. Kill is very hard to pull off against modern super-rich runners. It's probably just me being A Bad Player but it really feels like top-level Corp deckbuilding is quite constrained by the sheer power of runners and all the various silver bullets they have access to, thanks to their less-restricted deckbuilding requirements. What am I missing?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 17, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Corps were historically 45/55 underdogs to runners, I guess FF is fine just pushing that to 70/30

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

HB can still do glacier fairly decently due to exceedingly taxing ICE. The trick is that you ideally want to be running biotic labours and lateral growths in order to Fast advance to clear rumour mill, or just have a really taxing remote. I would argue that NEH FA is actually worse off than glacier is. The runner can control the board state exceedingly well because they can make a ton of money off of your open remotes. HB glacier now is very much about click-compressing the runner and ideally making sure that there isn't a server that costs less than 3 credits to break. The defensive upgrades are still good cards, because not every deck has rumour mill, and they still bait out blackmails from val. Rumour mill hurts, but I honestly think that HB Glacier and MVT CtM are probably the strongest decks in the meta right now. Corps are still fairly strong, but they require a much better reading of the board state than runners do, and have a much higher skill level to play I think.

E: At the Great Lakes ANRPC last chance qualifiers on saturday, the corp/runner victory split was %53.7 Corp to 46.3% runner.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 17, 2016

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

berenzen posted:

Yeah. But that's just bad form. Just like you can 'forget' all sorts of things that aren't automated in Jnet. Plus, you can see who the spectators are. The setting is there for Jnet tournament streams and tourneys. I did enable the setting for all the Jnet league games I hosted, because I think it makes it more enjoyable for the person who is spectating.

As someone still new to the game introduced to it by a local gamer group recently - and that has checked out Jinteki a tiny bit - what isn't automated? Is there a list somewhere?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Jinteki.net automation status is typically kept up-to-date here

Most of the stuff that isn't automated are things like recurring credits, on encounter effects of ICE and stuff that would be insanely difficult to code like media blitz or surveillance sweep.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 17, 2016

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

berenzen posted:

HB can still do glacier fairly decently due to exceedingly taxing ICE. The trick is that you ideally want to be running biotic labours and lateral growths in order to Fast advance to clear rumour mill, or just have a really taxing remote. I would argue that NEH FA is actually worse off than glacier is. The runner can control the board state exceedingly well because they can make a ton of money off of your open remotes. HB glacier now is very much about click-compressing the runner and ideally making sure that there isn't a server that costs less than 3 credits to break. The defensive upgrades are still good cards, because not every deck has rumour mill, and they still bait out blackmails from val. Rumour mill hurts, but I honestly think that HB Glacier and MVT CtM are probably the strongest decks in the meta right now. Corps are still fairly strong, but they require a much better reading of the board state than runners do, and have a much higher skill level to play I think.

E: At the Great Lakes ANRPC last chance qualifiers on saturday, the corp/runner victory split was %53.7 Corp to 46.3% runner.

Corp is a lot better right now than it was even a month ago due to Scarcity of Resources alone. Also a lot of high level players are in Worlds testing mode right now so there are some good decks coming down the pipeline that people are keeping quiet about. If I had to bet I'd say there are a few different tempo style yellow decks that are going to be all over Worlds/post-Worlds tourneys. Currents are strong on both sides, and News Hound is a great ICE when currents are in play.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Voodoofly posted:

Corp is a lot better right now than it was even a month ago due to Scarcity of Resources alone. Also a lot of high level players are in Worlds testing mode right now so there are some good decks coming down the pipeline that people are keeping quiet about. If I had to bet I'd say there are a few different tempo style yellow decks that are going to be all over Worlds/post-Worlds tourneys. Currents are strong on both sides, and News Hound is a great ICE when currents are in play.

As much as I'm in love-hate with NBN, I think that it's going to be criminal/NBN as the winning decklists. (I kinda hope, actually, so I can get a playset of full-art desperados and SSCG)

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

berenzen posted:

As much as I'm in love-hate with NBN, I think that it's going to be criminal/NBN as the winning decklists. (I kinda hope, actually, so I can get a playset of full-art desperados and SSCG)

Basically agree on all points, especially cool desperado.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

berenzen posted:

Jinteki.net automation status is typically kept up-to-date here

Most of the stuff that isn't automated are things like recurring credits, on encounter effects of ICE and stuff that would be insanely difficult to code like media blitz or surveillance sweep.

Also, every paid ability window is not implemented in any way? There's plenty you just have to gentlemanly do according to the rules.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

PosSibley posted:

Also, every paid ability window is not implemented in any way? There's plenty you just have to gentlemanly do according to the rules.
There are a lot of paid ability windows in a turn. If you were forced to pause and then click through a prompt on each one it would take a long time to finish a game. The best thing to do is assume your opponent is competent. So, for instance, when you advance agendas leave a few seconds between each counter so they can ask you to wait in chat if they want to do something. If there's a Clot in the bin and a Clone Chip on the table you can just ask them - advance a card and then say "action?" in chat before you advance again, etc. It's not really that onerous.

Also Netrunner is a small game and Jinteki is a passion project maintained entirely in people's spare time. Before it came along the only option for online play was OCTGN, in which almost nothing was automated and you had to memorise dozens of keyboard shortcuts just to play the game. It's kind of a miracle that we have it at all. In fact that reminds me, I should go donate some more money!

quote:

Scarcity seems good but only in the first few turns, right? If you don't see one until turn 8 and the Runner is mostly done with setup then it doesn't do much except add an ETR to News Hound, I'd have thought. Agree on NBN, though. The stats from UK Nationals (157 players, in August) are kind of revealing:

http://www.acoo.net/anr-tournament/1363/uk-nationals-2016/

Runner representation in the top 30% was almost equal between the three factions. But Corp was 73% NBN, and that's with Astro at limit-1. It was 50% at the French nationals (57 players), 57% at the Reading GNK (21 players), 75% at a recent Bristol GNK (12 players), 80% at Aldershot (16 players) etc. They're my favourite Corp faction flavour-wise, but in the UK NBN feels at least as dominant, if not more so, than it was before it was supposedly nerfed by the second round of the MWL.

edit: I guess my problem with Rumour Mill is that I feel it's just bad game design. Unlike PolOp, Councilman and so on there's no counterplay to a Runner that just plays it click 1 then runs your remote. Cards that say "you cannot do x" are almost always worse than cards that say "you can do x, but it'll cost you", because at least that allows for counterplay.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 18, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Wonder if this means there's another big box coming?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Zephro posted:

Wonder if this means there's another big box coming?

Interesting, but I think it's more likely to be a draft pack.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Interesting, but I think it's more likely to be a draft pack.

Shouldn't the draft set have three product codes, for the starter, runner, and corp? Legitimately don't know how that's set.

I did hear a rumor about playtesters having a rearranged Core Set (reprinted, no new cards) ahead of rotation. Apparently there was a Chaos Theory with a core set icon and a different set number. Wild speculation of something I've been rooting for.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Shouldn't the draft set have three product codes, for the starter, runner, and corp? Legitimately don't know how that's set.

I did hear a rumor about playtesters having a rearranged Core Set (reprinted, no new cards) ahead of rotation. Apparently there was a Chaos Theory with a core set icon and a different set number. Wild speculation of something I've been rooting for.
Wait, no new cards but Chaos Theory instead of Kate? Does that mean no never-before-printed cards, but a new playset of cards in the Core drawn from cards in existing datapacks?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zephro posted:

Wait, no new cards but Chaos Theory instead of Kate? Does that mean no never-before-printed cards, but a new playset of cards in the Core drawn from cards in existing datapacks?

That would make sense, could smooth out some of the balance stuff by removing Kate, Yog, etc from the new core and having the old one rotate out. Then could also include some stuff like Plascrete or maybe even Jackson included in the new core to keep them from rotating. Or maybe rather than a "new" core set they'll just make a best-of pack that won't rotate, and keeps some of the stars of previously rotated cycles? Although that can kind of defeat the point of rotating in the first place.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

CodfishCartographer posted:

That would make sense, could smooth out some of the balance stuff by removing Kate, Yog, etc from the new core and having the old one rotate out. Then could also include some stuff like Plascrete or maybe even Jackson included in the new core to keep them from rotating. Or maybe rather than a "new" core set they'll just make a best-of pack that won't rotate, and keeps some of the stars of previously rotated cycles? Although that can kind of defeat the point of rotating in the first place.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. It lets them force problematic cards like ETF and Astro to rotate out, while making new slots for useful permanent cards by removing some of the less-used Core cards.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 18, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Yeah there's been some ~hot scoops~ that there's a rebooted core set floating around with some of the original cards replaced

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah there's been some ~hot scoops~ that there's a rebooted core set floating around with some of the original cards replaced

Is NetRunner "spoiler season" more or less insufferable than Magic's spoiler season?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Fixing IDs is kinda hard because you'd have to replace the Core ID with something generic that doesn't require lots of support, but also isn't from a big box, I guess. I'd probably go with CT, Gabe, Reina, PE, Making News, BABW and ehh, maybe The Foundry?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

IIRC the core set and genesis were designed before they knew things were gonna rotate, so for instance Criminal has no in faction decoder in Core.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Frankly, as said on Slack - I'd 100% be behind Core 2.0, even if it was to correct various minor things that aren't so much 'broken' as warp the space around them.

Looking at you, Breaking News, ETF & Desperado.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the rumor was that only certain IDs have been replaced.

Desperado makes me sad since it's such a good card that does a lot of good things and it's hard to nerf it without changing its role. Maybe make it stock up credits and only pay out over time?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Static Equilibrium posted:

IIRC the core set and genesis were designed before they knew things were gonna rotate, so for instance Criminal has no in faction decoder in Core.

Peacock was in a data pack, not core? What a pile of poo poo, drat.

WLA rotating is going to hurt, peacock isn't even that bad, looking at it again.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 18, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Shockeh posted:

Frankly, as said on Slack - I'd 100% be behind Core 2.0, even if it was to correct various minor things that aren't so much 'broken' as warp the space around them.

Looking at you, Breaking News, ETF & Desperado.

Yeah. Also Noise, not because he's OP but because he's almost his own mini-faction and he warps the design space quite a lot

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

I think the rumor was that only certain IDs have been replaced.

Desperado makes me sad since it's such a good card that does a lot of good things and it's hard to nerf it without changing its role. Maybe make it stock up credits and only pay out over time?

My gut reaction is to just limit it to the first successful run of a turn, but I doubt that would really even nerf it much, since usually you don’t run more than once per turn. I guess you could limit it to only remotes / centrals?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Zephro posted:

Scarcity seems good but only in the first few turns, right? If you don't see one until turn 8 and the Runner is mostly done with setup then it doesn't do much except add an ETR to News Hound, I'd have thought. Agree on NBN, though. The stats from UK Nationals (157 players, in August) are kind of revealing:

Being good in just the first few turns is still strong, though. I think Targeted Marketing probably has more use in a pure control deck (or possibly a pure rush deck if you name a breaker) but if you are running a tempo deck, just trying to stay a couple clicks ahead of the runner to score throughout the game, then Scarcity can really prolong those scoring windows. Plus, just activating News Hound and/or killing an Employee Strike isn't the worst way to spend a buck and a card.

NBN is going to be very well represented at the tourney. I think one of the biggest things pointing to it right now is I think there are 3 IDs that will definitely see wide play at Worlds (CTM, Sync, NEH), and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Sol or Spark decks having decent results. No other faction has that much depth right now on either side of the game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spark was my favorite id because I'm a terrible winter orb player, but runners are so rich right now that it's just bad.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zephro posted:

Fixing IDs is kinda hard because you'd have to replace the Core ID with something generic that doesn't require lots of support, but also isn't from a big box, I guess. I'd probably go with CT, Gabe, Reina, PE, Making News, BABW and ehh, maybe The Foundry?

Replace Noise with Whizzard :unsmigghh:

Reina's a reasonable choice, though Quetzal could also go in there to play up the 'Anarchs break Barriers' thing. Null is really tempting, but I feel like then you'd have to try and stick NFR in, and that's just too specific for the core set. On the corp side, I think you're stuck with ETF, unfortunately. Really, to me the rough thing is not being able to keep both CT and Kate.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Is NetRunner "spoiler season" more or less insufferable than Magic's spoiler season?

Netrunner spoiler season is certainly more annoying because it's like an American election cycle, it has no beginning and just when it's about to end it all starts up again. At least with Magic there's downtime where you get to play with your new cards for 2~ months before the next standard set rather than always having to look forward to the next data pack.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Edit: actually, never mind

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 18, 2016

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Stronger Together could be an interesting replacement for ETF but I think The Foundry makes the most sense (other than leaving ETF alone, you monsters) in terms of synergizing with ABT and being mostly ice neutral/independent of most cards.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Goon League 2 is up!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

While we're making Core 2.0 wish lists, I think a 3/2 for every faction would be good since it would help keep never-advance viable after rotation. ABT is already in the core; swap Astro for Beale; add Atlas. Jinteki could maybe do without one since Medical Breakthrough sort of fills the role and is in H&P, plus Braintrust is really bad, plus Nisei Mk 2 is great.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 19, 2016

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The suggestion on Slack was to give every Corp one 3/2, in the form of a Project, and to make it so all Projects:

A. Had the Subtype 'Project' and;
B. You may only include three 'Project' cards in your deck.

That way they can print new ones further down the line without making another Fastrotrain, and people can choose which Project they want to include.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The only trouble is that involves printing new cards. If the rumours are true it seems they're trying to avoid that for the new Core so that existing players don't have to rebuy their Cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Also I think Merger is their strategy for 3/2s now. They're available, but they're nerfed considerably. This makes HB stand out as having 6 available 3/2s post-rotation, with 4 for NBN and 4 for Jinteki (6 if you count the 2nd and 3rd Medical Breakthrough). If there are any future 3/2s I expect them to come with significant downsides.

With that said, now that Astro is 1-of and Merger is such a liability, I would be happy for SanSan City Grid to come off the MWL. SanSanning a Beale is a legit play and kinda pricy. It was just the SanSan into Astro token that made FA so annoyingly brutal.

• Locked thread