Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
None of those are as bad to me as the people who say something 'needs fixed'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

fizzymercy posted:

My mom does that and heavenly poo poo that's the worst thing I can think of a person doing. If I didn't answer the text or call, I am busy. Or don't want to give a poo poo about you at the moment. My mom even makes a huge deal about it like *I* am inconveniencing *her*. The gently caress?

Also mother related: No you can't have my work number and/or the number of my best friends. Why do you need them? No it is super not normal to ask for those numbers, I am 33 years old. I promise I won't have such a tragic accident that the ems or whatever can't find my emergency contact information.

Moms are weird, yo.

It might not make her feel better but just tell her that if something bad did happen to you and you ended up in hospital / jail / the morgue she would undoubtedly hear about it so if you're not answering your phone and she hasn't gotten a call from the cops you're most likely fine and just busy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I could care less about all these misused words.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
We Midas whale give up on all semblance of grammar.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
People who pay absolutely no attention to politics, until a Presidential election and suddenly they are experts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Classes where there's a weekly quiz to make sure you're paying attention to the lectures/readings. As soon as I know I've got the answers to the quiz, I want to stop reading. Even if I'm enjoying it, and even if I know the text is likely to be helpful for later assessments, I feel like I'm wasting my time.

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016
People who drive slow in the passing lane or rubber band (drive slow and then fast and then slow and then fast...).

People who use the internet as a place to feel big and tough and distract themselves from their pathetic lives by belittling others or talking down to them.

People who yell at their kids in public.

The list goes on. As I'm sure yours do too. It's better to focus on positives usually, but every once in a while it's great to vent!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who cry about how nobody speaks english and they don't take american money when they come to visit me in Germany, especially when they in the past have complained about hispanics and arabs refusing to learn english when they come to the US. I really dont understand how they can't see the hypocrisy.

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who cry about how nobody speaks english and they don't take american money when they come to visit me in Germany, especially when they in the past have complained about hispanics and arabs refusing to learn english when they come to the US. I really dont understand how they can't see the hypocrisy.

Thank you for saying this. I lived in Germany for a couple of years and when I came back to the states it really started to bug me when I would hear people complain about others not learning a second language they never had themselves either.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People expect American money to work in Germany? :stare:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

People expect American money to work in Germany? :stare:

I've been handed US notes here in Australia. There's a reason the obnoxious US tourist is a stereotype.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah I've been in stores in Sydney where an American has tried to pass off US currency. They got lovely about it which was pretty funny.

Honestly, American tourists in Australia seem to deserve a lot of their reputation - I'd say that almost half of the public freakouts I witnessed there involved an American.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I thought Germans were known for always trying to speak English with American tourists. lol at the currency thing though.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Americans, by and large, can be some of my least favourite tourists. I work in a hotel, so 90% of the people I interact with are tourists, and my main complaints about Americans are as follows:

1) Handing me American money and expecting me to give them change that reflects the exchange rate. Or expecting change in American. Similarly, not bothering to learn anything about Canadian currency and asking me really confusing questions such as, "What is this?" and holding up a $5 bill. It's five dollars?

2) Americans are really obsessed with breakfast and get very upset when the bar doesn't serve Eggs Benedict at 11PM.

3) I live in a province with incredibly strict liquor laws, and Americans can sometimes act like bullies when we won't circumvent these laws to accommodate them. Examples: not letting them leave with our wine glasses, trying to get us to sell closed liquor bottles, ordering beer at nine in the morning, etc. Yes, I know it's stupid that we have government-run liquor stores that are open for about fifteen seconds a day, but that doesn't mean I have any vested interest in letting you get drunk with breakfast.

The way Americans are better than the rest of the planet:

1) They tip like crazy. The number one complaint at the restaurant is always, "Ugh, all my tables were English today," which means zero tips because older, upper middle-class white English people (who are the chief tourist demographic) will, without fail, give you exact change or less than the actual bill. Americans just dump a bunch of money on the counter and just tell you to keep whatever. Even if they're using a card, most of the time it's like, "Yeah, 30% sounds about right."

2) When I say, "Hi, how are you?" they respond with something other than barking, "Table for 2," or "Budweiser".

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

well why not posted:

Yeah I've been in stores in Sydney where an American has tried to pass off US currency. They got lovely about it which was pretty funny.

Honestly, American tourists in Australia seem to deserve a lot of their reputation - I'd say that almost half of the public freakouts I witnessed there involved an American.

Oddly enough I witnessed an Australian freaking out in a McDonalds in Kansas City, Missouri. I don't know what the problem was (possibly the fact that he was in Missouri) but he kept leaving, then returning, then leaving, etc. and when he returned he would be complaining about something to the staff.

I've never been to another country but totally believe that Americans are obnoxious in other countries.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

America has earned the right to be obnoxious in other countries

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

People who cry about how nobody speaks english and they don't take american money when they come to visit me in Germany, especially when they in the past have complained about hispanics and arabs refusing to learn english when they come to the US.

On a similar note, people who are not native speakers of English who go to countries where English is not the official or dominant language and then complain that locals do not speak English for their benefit or that there is no signage in same.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I always associate that behavior with the dreaded "nice guys", working themselves up into a teary mess because their female acquaintance they have a thing for missed her nightly check-in and isnt answering their 500 texts. Then when they end up being fine they act like they have been through a terrible ordeal when in reality they did it entirely to themselves so they can point to it later as evidence of how much they ~care~.

Definitely a nice guy thing but isn't just limited to guys - I've had crazy women do the same thing to me, whether we're friends or dating. One girl a few years back would constantly text or call about stupid relationship garbage and get mad when I didn't pick up at 3am to talk about it, then she'd hold a grudge and go silent for a week, then act like nothing happened afterward. I swear she was schizo or bipolar or some poo poo...would explain a lot about why she couldn't keep a boyfriend more than a couple months at a time.

Also on the American tourist thing, even as an American I get pissed about people from the US being rude jackasses abroad. Maybe I'm in the minority about being polite to people whether you're from their country or not, I don't even get bothered by language barriers and people are super appreciative when you take the time to try to listen and understand. Growing up living in other countries (stepdad is retired military) and working various jobs where I had to talk to non-English speaking people helped me sort of "tune" my hearing to figure out what they're saying. Even tying into jobs I've had, there were times working in a call center where my call time would end up being longer than average, but I almost never got in trouble because the people I talked to went to bat for me and gave me great service feedback about my patience and willingness to help out (and more often than not, asked for me whenever they'd call in again).

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Oct 18, 2016

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

bean_shadow posted:

People who pay absolutely no attention to politics, until a Presidential election and suddenly they are experts.

This but with annual sporting events. In my city there's a big tennis tournament at the beginning of the year and a big horse race at the end of the year and each time these events roll around all of a sudden everyone in the office is a total bloody expert and can't wait to tell you their thoughts about it. I don't care. 364 days of the year you don't care either. Ugh.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I've traveled a lot, and my least favorite tourists are the British. Americans are loud and self-centered, but Brits are loud, self-centered, cheap, snooty, and condescending.

I've been seeing the phrase "drink driving" a lot lately. Is there another anglophone country that uses this phrase? Is it just an autocorrect thing that's becoming more noticeable as everyone moves all activity to their phones? My phone sure as hell knows the word "drunk."

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I think America is maybe the only English-speaking country where it's not called drink driving, actually.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The most common tourists I see as an American are other Americans so I guess I hate American tourists the most. Thanks for coming here and going to the loving Hard Rock Cafe you dumbasses.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

To be honest my point wasn't really that Americans are the worst tourists here - I think that honor has to go to the Chinese. The specific person that inspired my post at least did the typical super overtipping like 25% thing, even after explaining the waiters make a lot of money and its weird to do that here, so at least he was trying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What on earth do the Chinese do?

My front desk pet peeve is people with nice cars getting mad that we don't have parking available. "But where will I park my LEXUS?? On the street!!? It could get vandalized, it's a LEXUS!!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chinese tourists are the loudest and rudest. They are like Americans from 30 years ago. Flush with cash, arrogant, and with 0 regard for local customs.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

And stop to take selfies in front of every bus stop, trash can, bush, anything you can stand in front of while blocking a sidewalk, they will stop their group and pose in front of it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I worked at a museum/arts center place and we had a Chinese tour group come in, it was really funny and weird because they'd want to go into literally every room, no matter roped off or anything. Even obvious staff only rooms they peak in, and smile and nod

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
They also move in herds. Where there is one chinese tourist, there is another 20 waiting for their tourist bus.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

And if I lived in New Zealand, I would support any politician who promised to make anyone with a Chinese passport take a special driving course (with written and practical testing) before allowing them to rent a car.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

All the Americans I've met on holiday have actually been super friendly and nice :) Guess I'm just lucky?

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

And stop to take selfies in front of every bus stop, trash can, bush, anything you can stand in front of while blocking a sidewalk, they will stop their group and pose in front of it.

I was in Hanoi waiting in a hotel lobby for our room to be ready, and a trio of Chinese tourists with SLR cameras walk outside and surround this Vietnamese woman sitting on a stool just eating her lunch, just crouching around her snapping away. Then at the My Son Sanctuary, the look on the security guards face said it all when the first herd came clambering over 4th century relics.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I hate when people who don't know what the gently caress they are talking about edit your work and make all sorts of comments and suggestions that are just blatantly wrong or don't make any sense.

I am a masters student. I am finishing up a project I started a couple of years ago, and my supervisor has asked me to include another student so she can gain some experience with the type of project I am doing. She is really nice, and a subject matter expert, but she has zero clue about the methodology or analysis techniques I've been using from the get-go.

I recently sent her a document with a bunch of our stats on it that I wanted her to incorporate into the manuscript we are writing, but instead of doing that, she sent me back my document with more of her ever-so-helpful edits and a note being like "here are my edits, maybe I should learn more about how to do this stuff tee hee!"

Now she's off to get married so once again I am left to do all the work that she was supposed to do but didn't. But her comments, man. "I think this graph is wrong, it doesn't look like the data you said you removed was removed", "Lol. What does *essential stats concept* mean? I think you're wrong!". gently caress off with that poo poo, you have no idea what the gently caress you are doing!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Chinese tourists are the loudest and rudest. They are like Americans from 30 years ago. Flush with cash, arrogant, and with 0 regard for local customs.

I was recently on vacation in Russia on a guided tour, and when we were in Moscow, we were inside the Kremlin coincidentally in time for the weekly Changing of the Guard event. My group and I (mostly Americans) were in the square ahead of schedule enough to find places to stand along the parade route where we were in the front row, and all was fine until we found ourselves literally shoved aside by a large group of Chinese tourists. Just shoved and hipchecked and pushed aside, and the guy behind me kept trying to rest his elbow on my shoulder while he filmed the parade and pushed my head to the side with his arm more than once so he could get a better view. I couldn't believe it.

Here's a bad video I took -- the camera jostling at :28 is from him pushing my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAuBqsbvuwo&t=24s

I just can't understand the mentality of people who would do that. You go to a foreign country with customs not your own, you see a crowd of people standing still and not shoving each other, and you don't give a gently caress and literally shove them aside to stand where they are standing? This is far beyond not picking up that people in Country X speak more quietly than you're used to, or that they think it's rude not to wish someone "bon appetit" before a meal, or whatever. You're getting physically rough with strangers, and you don't notice that everyone is reacting to you with anger? You are an rear end in a top hat. If all 100 of you in your group are doing that, then you're 100 assholes.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Mu Zeta posted:

This reminds me of a few years ago when I was working in a tourist-y gift shop and we had this whole section for Jewish stuff. AFAIK it was one of the only places you could get mezuzahs and novelty menorahs. Anyway, this group of Chinese women came in and one them picks up a menorah and goes, "Keys?" and I explain, no, it's for candles, for Hanukkah. She nods. "Keys." She walks off with it. Lady paid $90 for a silver "key holder" covered in Hebrew.

Final tourist note: Americans really are friendly people. This is how I tell that you're American off the bat, because Canadians are polite but they are usually not friendly. We're a comparatively cold people.

Content: The cycle cats get into where they decide it's earlier and earlier every morning for breakfast. You fed me at 9 yesterday? How about 8? 4? :byodood: WAKE UP

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I think visa fuckery makes it easier for Chinese tourists to travel in groups, which makes the problem much worse. Americans and Australians reinforce each other's poor behaviors on a per-family basis, Chinese get fifty other people to help.

Also, my phone dictionary recognizes "fuckery".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

cyberia posted:

This but with annual sporting events. In my city there's a big tennis tournament at the beginning of the year and a big horse race at the end of the year and each time these events roll around all of a sudden everyone in the office is a total bloody expert and can't wait to tell you their thoughts about it. I don't care. 364 days of the year you don't care either. Ugh.

This and people who are so obsessed with sports that they can't accept someone not caring about them. I'll watch football or basketball once in a while but I don't have a favorite team, don't play fantasy football, don't know every stat on every player, or any of that - I just like watching a game and vegging out. But nope, say that at work or around a group of friends, and suddenly it's a cacophony of gay slurs or people asking stupid questions about who or what you do or don't like and why. Take the hint: the only thing I don't like about sports is the assholes making it less enjoyable by betting on it and/or ignoring everything else in their lives to follow a sports team. And they're usually the ones to give their kids a complex by pressuring them into playing a sport they hate because they want to live vicariously through little Bobby who's gonna be a star quarterback someday (if he doesn't snap and commit suicide or shoot up his family first).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Ugh yeah parents who put sports jerseys on BABIES and take them to every game and MAKE them fans of whatever's team. "Look at little Timmy, the huge LOCAL SPORTS TEAM fan!!" *pic of confused 1 year old decked head to toe in sports clothes at stadium* And of course once they can walk they (generally boys) will be enrolled in local toddler sports team.

:downs: What's individuality?

Also people who buy boys trucks and cars and girls baby dolls. No, don't ask the kid (or parent) what they want. It's Timmy= blue truck and Sally = baby doll in pink dress.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

As a counterpoint: parents who complain when your gifts aren't gender neutral enough. Either give explicit guidelines on what gifts are acceptable or just smile and say thank you and dump it in the pile of all the other toys your kid won't pay attention to after the first 5 minutes of looking at it. We get it, your kid is a special non-gendered snowflake, but at least handle accepting gifts you don't want with a little more tact.

Anyway re: sports, people telling you about their fantasy teams is annoying even to other obsessive fantasy sports players. It's also like poker players telling others about their bad beats. Nobody really cares or wants to hear it, but everyone will keep talking about it until their dying day because they have nothing else to talk about. Just nod and smile and change the subject as soon as you can.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

It's also like poker players telling others about their bad beats. Nobody really cares or wants to hear it, but everyone will keep talking about it until their dying day because they have nothing else to talk about. Just nod and smile and change the subject as soon as you can.

Oh God triggered.

I work as a dealer in a casino and do everything BUT the poker stuff (well apart from 3 Card Poker but that doesn't really count) the poker room is its own entity. I barely know how to play most of the games, never mind how to deal them, and I have no interest in learning. Fine, enjoy what you enjoy, but a punter who played blackjack the other night will tell you how they bought in for $20 and walked away with $300 and that's the end of the story. Awesome! Good for you, man! A poker player will give you a loving never-ending play-by-play (something about some nuts flushing down a floppy river? I have no idea...) and every single move/card that was played in a game they took part in in 1997.

But if you think the players are bad, the dealers are so much worse. Deal poker to tedious twats 8/10 hours a day you think you'd want to put it aside when you can, right? OH NO! Every break? Online poker on a break room PC or their phone. Smoke break outside? Phone poker. Finish work? Go play poker at a another casino until you realise that it's 4 hours before your next shift...but you'll probably sneak in a quick game online just before you grab a couple of hours' sleep anyway. Oh and I almost forgot excitedly babbling about pro games they watched to fill any gaps in that schedule and bringing up old poker clips on youtube.

And :lol: about being able to nod, smile and change the subject if you're dealing with the hardcore. One of our ex-dealers was regaling me with a blow-by-blow account in a bar and I'd had just enough drinks to lose a little of my usual polite tolerance to interrupt him and say that I don't know about poker, don't care to, and have no idea what the words coming out of his mouth mean - they're flying straight over my head - can we talk about something else, please? He paused for a fraction of a second looking like a startled deer, aaaand then carried on with how the loving queen came out and and...

tl;dr (wouldn't blame you) gently caress poker bores. Not even simply responding to "do you play poker?" with a cheery "oh...no, sorry. I don't even know how!" will stop them. EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

franco posted:

poker bores

I knew a similar guy, except he was about speedrun techniques in video games. I'd never felt compelled to physically intervene in a conversation before.

Content: people who speak too softly, especially when it's an affectation.