Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
And sometimes you DO go places.

A year ago exactly, I took one of the great trips of my life, to the Italian Dolomites and Iceland. In the aftermath, I spammed this thread for a while with some images. I recently went back to see what I had posted on Flickr, and what I hadn't. These didn't make the cut, but I think they were wrongly missed.

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

the balloon dimension by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 15, 2016

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
DSC01029 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DSC02266 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DSC05234 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

I'm big into both of these, very nice.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

edit: ugh nevermind, this photo is killing me

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 17, 2016

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Cement Sunrise by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

I'm loathe to do 16:9 but I felt it worked in this case.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I just got a camera and am trying to learn photography. I took some shots today on lunch but I have no clue what I'm doing and they just all seem uninteresting. Any tips on what to try starting out?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Find things that are interesting to you and imagine how you would capture what makes them interesting. Is it a silhouette? The way they sit in their surroundings? Some detail? Take that picture. Then figure out why it's bad and try again.

Taking pictures is pretty much free unless you are shooting film so experiment and try to learn from each one. Try carrying a camera around in familiar areas too - your neighbourhood, your commute to work or walk to the shops. See what's interesting about the things you see every day and capture that. If you only take pictures of castles and waterfalls, you'll not get many opportunities to improve.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I guess I'm having trouble figuring out why it's bad, just that I know I don't like them.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Look at good photography, think about what makes you like those photos.

E: also, look at a lot of photography

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Drythe posted:

I guess I'm having trouble figuring out why it's bad, just that I know I don't like them.

There's the Photo A Day thread for general critique, although the quality of that critique can sometimes be hit or miss:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450024

As for the ones you posted here, the first one isn't that bad for a first effort. The third looks like you were going for something with the sidewalk, so it's a good practice in composition. The second is just trash. There's no subject, busy, focus on the tree for...no real reason I can see.

Get a handle on what all the bells and whistles on your camera actually do. Make sure you're shooting on Manual mode to force yourself to learn, or at least Aperture Priority. At the same time, look into composition, beyond the rule-of-thirds. Then play around with lighting/time of day, different depths of field (bokeh is not always goodeh, depending on the subject), etc.

vvvv this also

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 17, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Take pictures constantly.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Drythe posted:

Read up on composition so you get a general idea about it. Then look at photos by othet people, figure out why you like them and what techniques they've used (its ok if you can't name them or say why it works). Do the same for ones that don't work and think about how they could make it work

Dont feel the need to use rule of thirds either. Only put something there if it is extremely interesting and the core subject or a framing device. Putting nothing on the thirds puts more emphasis on the scene itself and can be just as useful.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The fish fountain one could be interesting, if you pulled in really close to single fish, while keeping the other fish/background in frame but out of focus.

The other two don't really have anything to catch the eye. Which is fine. Pros takes hundreds, or thousands, of photos in a single shoot, and maybe get 10 keepers out of that, if they're lucky.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Furness Library by Peter Crain, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Drythe posted:

I just got a camera and am trying to learn photography. I took some shots today on lunch but I have no clue what I'm doing and they just all seem uninteresting. Any tips on what to try starting out?

here's my tips for avoiding falling into the biggest photographic trap: "taking the cheesiest laziest photos that appeal to the widest demographic of an internet audience."

Exhibit A:
https://www.flickr.com/explore

Exhibit B:
https://500px.com/

exhibit A and B? garbage, trash, idiot filth dumped into a very wide and very shallow trough. avoid ending up taking poo poo like this at all costs unless you really want to and are willing to come to terms with being a lazy by the numbers ~ mood photographer ~

taking "interesting" photos is hard and before you click on my posts in this thread to see if i can back that statement up with my own work, lol think again because i can't, it's hard!

here's some basic exercises to try out:

* next time you go on a photography walk and only budget yourself 5 exposures, no retakes of the same subject, just one photo per subject -- think carefully!
* try to pick a somewhat interesting subject and find a way to isolate as many other things as possible from the frame that aren't necessary in describing the subject
* come back to this thread w/ 5 (in total) photographs you like, i dont care if they are from some hot shot photographer (ansel adams, stephen shore, etc) or just poo poo from this thread or even 500px, whatever: just give us 5 photos so we can see what kinds of landscapes you have in mind, optionally we can try to make fun of your bad taste and maybe you will develop better taste as a side effect

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

a cyberpunk goose posted:

* come back to this thread w/ 5 (in total) photographs you like, i dont care if they are from some hot shot photographer (ansel adams, stephen shore, etc) or just poo poo from this thread or even 500px, whatever: just give us 5 photos so we can see what kinds of landscapes you have in mind, optionally we can try to make fun of your bad taste and maybe you will develop better taste as a side effect

Alright I'll try. I went through this thread since I didn't really know a good site to use for reference. The first one in particular is the one I liked the most

I also tried earlier when I was grilling, I should have probably pulled it out to put it more in the center but I didn't want to risk something burning/catching fire. I feel like this is so very foreign to me.
I wanted to take the picture since it's probably one of the last few nice days to grill this year.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Drythe posted:

Composition!

Keep the photos that you like the most from the batch that you are looking through and delete photos.

Figure out why you like or dislike a photo. Why do you think the photos you linked are uninteresting?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Don't just concentrate on the main subject, you need to look at the scene as a whole and how that subject fits into the scene. Often the supporting scene is can be more important the the subject its self. Your photo for example I assume you want to show the bbq but you dont even show the whole thing yet there is a huge amount of empty space on the left that does nothing to support the subject. Also pay attention to how things in the background can take away from the subject, a good background will support and draw a viewer to focus on the subject. The roof in the upper right and side is a huge distraction.

Edit: if you want to do something that will help with landscape photography get and use a tripod. Not only will it allow for more creative techniques it will also force you to take your time composing and thinking about the photo instead of just pointing your camera at something because it is convenient. Good photos do not come from being lazy.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 18, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
So try to explain why you like those pictures that you chose. Don't worry about technical terminology, just try to describe what makes them interesting photos to you.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

My eye is drawn to what I think is a sprinkler on a pole in this shot, because you put the pole along the vertical third and the top where the horizontal and vertical thirds intersect. Also, the colour of it contrasts with what is behind it, where the barbeque is a grey blob in the corner.

It's a good idea for a photo, and it's fantastic that you are already thinking about what you want out of the shot. Now you just gotta figure out how to capture that. I'd do it by finding a background that says "this is a nice day", and have the barbeque clearly being used.

It still might not be an interesting photo to a lot of people, but you are shooting for you. Outside approval is just a bonus.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Helen Highwater posted:

So try to explain why you like those pictures that you chose. Don't worry about technical terminology, just try to describe what makes them interesting photos to you.

This is good. You don't even have to share it. Write about your photography, express what it means to you, both the photograph and the place you were when you took it, and what you were feeling and thinking as you took it. Write about photographs you love, be it one particular shot, a series from someone or a style of photography. Put down what you care about in your photography, and others. That works for me, anyway.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

*Links to Flickr and 500px*

exhibit A and B? garbage, trash, idiot filth dumped into a very wide and very shallow trough. avoid ending up taking poo poo like this at all costs unless you really want to and are willing to come to terms with being a lazy by the numbers ~ mood photographer ~

We really should move this to the chat thread, or tips thread but nobody seems to post there.

My issue is probably one of taste. I *like* many of the images you posted. I want to take photos like them. One of the things that I do when I'm out taking photos is that I ask myself "would this make an image that I would like to have as a background on my computer" and then take images that way. It's difficult when people that I respect and who take photos I like and want to emulate go:

"Shoot for you. Take the photos you want to take"

and then in the same breath go

"But not photos like these. *gives examples* they're garbage photos for garbage people."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

beep-beep car is go posted:

"But not photos like these. *gives examples* they're garbage photos for garbage people."

What they're really saying is taking the cliched stuff is okay as an educational exercise to load up your walls at home with your epic ocean sunsets, but if you want to push it as a craft you share with other people you need to find a new way to photograph it and give it a personal stamp.

Which is hard to do given the absurd volume of photos being produced these days, but after enough people tell your stuff sucks poo poo you'll hopefully find a niche.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

We really should move this to the chat thread, or tips thread but nobody seems to post there.

My issue is probably one of taste. I *like* many of the images you posted. I want to take photos like them. One of the things that I do when I'm out taking photos is that I ask myself "would this make an image that I would like to have as a background on my computer" and then take images that way. It's difficult when people that I respect and who take photos I like and want to emulate go:

shoot the photos you want to take, but if you want to actually share them and get feedback then people are going to tell you they are boring wallpaper photos and there's really not much to say about them

to be clear, if someone stated "my goal with my photography is to take boring wallpaper photos" then we'd give you feedback to help you take better boring wallpaper photos but you will probably have to put up with some shaming

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

to be clear, if someone stated "my goal with my photography is to take boring wallpaper photos" then we'd give you feedback to help you take better boring wallpaper photos but you will probably have to put up with some shaming

That's...actually pretty reasonable.

Edit: now you know why I won the Bart Radfucker award.

beep-beep car is go fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 18, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

shoot the photos you want to take, but if you want to actually share them and get feedback then people are going to tell you they are boring wallpaper photos and there's really not much to say about them

Yeah a lot of people ask for critique on their photos but 90% of the photos here are not photos that you can really give meaningful critique to. If you wanna make technically good WinXP wallpaper photos, you don't need critique, just keep reading tutorials and experiment - technical skills are something that most of us can improve just by reading up and trying out. Giving your photo meaning is where critique can come in to help, but it helps to look at photobooks first and learn about how the photographer's intent shapes the photos.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

That's fair. I'm sure my taste isn't very...complex. Usually I can "see what you're going for" like 80% of the time with the photos that everyone here raves about, and I do take the effort to look for what everyone else sees. I'm sure it'll improve with time/effort.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 19, 2016

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The second one made laugh in a good way. I've not done that with a photograph in a while.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
_DSC0512.jpg by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 19, 2016

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
that one doesn't really work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 20, 2016