Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

itt people get really upset about strangers preordering video games

Hey its your money, if you want to spend it unwisely that's your perogative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
goons get angry about preordering almost as much a they do about games being in an open world format.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoga posted:

goons get angry about preordering almost as much a they do about games being in an open world format.

People get oddly defensive about their right to pre order games. *shrug*

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

probably because nobody wants to read about anyones opinion on preordering games

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rabidsquid posted:

probably because nobody wants to read about anyones opinion on preordering games

I'm just gonna say "No Mans Sky" and leave it at that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ramagamma posted:

Anyone who couldn't tell that was going to be tire fire from the beginning deserved whatever they got

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ramagamma posted:

im sure plenty of people are thanking you for the $7 they saved by buying that physically

edit: and a game sony gave people refunds on if they bought digitally lol

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone who couldn't tell that was going to be tire fire from the beginning deserved whatever they got

I agree but even those folks you could kind of understand the false hope. Its the people who, weeks after release were convinced it was all going to get better and the game would be fixed that really worry me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

edit: and a game sony gave people refunds on if they bought digitally lol

There's a bit of a scandal going on because profiles that did this apparently can't access psn support at all anymore.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

univbee posted:

There's a bit of a scandal going on because profiles that did this apparently can't access psn support at all anymore.

thats pretty wild, altho i am curious about what happens if they just call the phone number

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
We got a pretty good halloween sale in EU today. How's Deception 4 on Vita?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Cool Halloween sale featuring a discount on Fallout 4 but not the season pass. GG, I too shall pass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No Battleborn in the sale. Garbage

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its not unusual for a game to be discounted but the dlc to be full price. It sucks i know but they'll probably have a game of the year edition out in time for Christmas

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Interestingly the DLC is cheaper (just clicked on https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/addons/fallout-4-nuka-world/cid=EP1003-CUSA02961_00-FALLOUT4DLC00006) but the season pass is not. Guess I might buy some extra Fallout time wasting after all!

Lulz:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/search/q=fallout

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The FO4 DLC is some trash even for Bethesda standards

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Keeping up tradition then!

Apart from broken steel but let's face it, that really should have been part of the main game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I picked up the Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition on PSN yesterday because it was like $8, and I went in knowing nothing about it other than "GTA-type game set in Hong Kong." I've only played a few missions but really like it so far. It's cool that basically every Chinese or Chinese-American character peppers their dialog with Cantonese. And Tom Wilkinson owns as always. Love the Arkham-style martial arts combat. I haven't driven a car yet but looking forward to that. The Face System seems like a pretty clever way to deal with typical open world "do favors for this person" gameplay.

Apparently the studio behind it just shut down. Bummer.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I picked up the Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition on PSN yesterday because it was like $8, and I went in knowing nothing about it other than "GTA-type game set in Hong Kong." I've only played a few missions but really like it so far. It's cool that basically every Chinese or Chinese-American character peppers their dialog with Cantonese. And Tom Wilkinson owns as always. Love the Arkham-style martial arts combat. I haven't driven a car yet but looking forward to that. The Face System seems like a pretty clever way to deal with typical open world "do favors for this person" gameplay.

Apparently the studio behind it just shut down. Bummer.

It's the best game. The best. When driving, you can hold your car door open to smash bikers and pedestrians. Also, every car is an environmental takedown as you can drag people over to it and slam their head in the doors (even funnier if you do it to a shocked passing motorist rather than use your own car). When you get to the guns, remember to always be leaping across barriers, it is NOT a cover shooter, it's a "leap across cover in slow-mo popping off headshots" shooter.

One of my favourite upgrades in any game is the one where if you leap out of a moving car while owning a gun, you target the petrol tank and with a single shot explode the whole car. That means every vehicle has the potential to become a flaming missile of death.

Game owns. I'm looking forward to Halloween when I shall be replaying the Nightmare in North Point spooky DLC.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I thought it was pretty funny in a circuitous way that Sleeping Dogs cribbed Arkham's combat and Rocksteady cribbed environmental takedowns from Sleeping Dogs for Arkham Knight. Some of the takedowns are gory as gently caress.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I crammed $30 into my PSN account to get RE4 but I found a physical copy so now I got $30 PSN Wallet dollars and no good ideas to spend that poo poo on. Any recommendations?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theSpokeyDokey posted:

I crammed $30 into my PSN account to get RE4 but I found a physical copy so now I got $30 PSN Wallet dollars and no good ideas to spend that poo poo on. Any recommendations?

rez

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

theSpokeyDokey posted:

Thumper

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rez and Thumper are both excellent choices.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rez Infinite is godlike

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess as a caveat though the whole game is about an hour long so you have to be the type who likes to play for score and replay levels under different modes and stuff. I know for a lot of people it would probably be a thin package

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm interested in some of the games in the sale, I'd like to limit myself to three among the following:

Resident Evil Rev 2
Resident Evil 6
Alien Isolation
Wolfenstein The New Order.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Rez Infinite is godlike

As is Thumper.

It's weird that in the same week two really good VR enabled music centric games got released and they are both pretty much completely different from each other. One is chill as gently caress and the other is like the least chill game I've played in a while.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Kurtofan posted:

I'm interested in some of the games in the sale, I'd like to limit myself to three among the following:

Resident Evil Rev 2
Resident Evil 6
Alien Isolation

RE6 gets poo poo on constantly, but there's a lot of content in it and the mercenaries mode is good enough to be a stand alone game. The core game isn't too bad either, it's just far closer to being an action game than a classic survival horror. I'm looking forward to starting it and doing a co-op run with my SO once we finish RE5. Alien Isolation is also good for being scared and I think it's a preview of what RE7 might be like (first-person horror), but be warned that the very beginning is a little tricky before you get access to ways to defend yourself or distract enemies. It's early in the game, but not before a section that had me tearing my hair out. Wolfenstein TNO is a great shooter that had, I thought, surprisingly good cinematic cut-scenes for a game about killing Nazis.

I haven't played RE Revelations 2, but it's episodic and not as fulfilling as Rev 1 was from what I understand.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rev 2 has playable Barry though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TNO is amazing.
Alien is about five hours too long and the end game enemies suck.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Kurtofan posted:

Resident Evil Rev 2
Resident Evil 6
Alien Isolation

Well you should for sure get Alien and Wolfenstein then. Cant say myself for RE games. Dead Space, Outlast, SOMA, and other have surpassed RE in terms of quality Survival Horror. Last one i really liked was 4 and I wouldnt play that again.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

SelenicMartian posted:

Rev 2 has playable Barry though.

You can play as Barry Burton in the RE5 mercenaries mode, I don't know about 6.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

Resident Evil Rev 2
Resident Evil 6
Alien Isolation

the two RE's are only great if you can play them coop
AI is good but the end drags in a way that made me sick of the game by the end
WTNO is good. i think they handle stealth and shoot'em up fps really well

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Alien and SOMA were both great atmosphere and presentation.

Alien has loving incredible machine interface and engineering infrastructure in its art design. Every machine in that game looks real and complex and believable and half the fun is just interacting with it all. The game wears a bit long, sort of runs out of gameplay tricks like an Uncharted game, so play in multiple sittings. Leaves a good impression though.

SOMA is mainly a story game that's light on mechanics but has a nice progression of puzzles that don't hold your hand but also play by the rules of the environments, also amazing pacing and creative environments.

Some of my favorite games in the last two years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Every time Alien comes up I rage at the thought of how Don't Save is the default at save points and New Game defaults over Continue in the main menu. How that poo poo got past QA is beyond me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Every time Alien comes up I rage at the thought of how Don't Save is the default at save points and New Game defaults over Continue in the main menu. How that poo poo got past QA is beyond me.

I know you do, and I'm still not sure how any of that matters. You're still cool, tho

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
What's the general opinion of these games on the vita:

Disgaea infinite and 3
FFT PS1 classic Vs WotL
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance

And do these PSone Classics have any issues on the vita, and are they good:

Alundra
Grandia
Suikoden II
Tactics Ogre: LUCT
Threads of Fate
Wild ARMS 1 and 2
Xenogears

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Suikoden 2 is my favorite RPG ever, edging ahead of ff3/6 and C. trigger. It's loving great and works fine on the Vita

Edit: xenogears is also really good and works good on the Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Anora posted:

What's the general opinion of these games on the vita:

Disgaea infinite and 3 - Infinite is kinda eh, 3 is awful
FFT PS1 classic Vs WotL - Really a matter of whether you prefer an older or more stylized translation, or the PSP version's slowdown
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance - Tons of slowdown in some areas, no battle voices without some roundabout work, but not terrible, and a great game if you can look past those

And do these PSone Classics have any issues on the vita, and are they good:

Alundra
Grandia
Suikoden II
Tactics Ogre: LUCT
Threads of Fate
Wild ARMS 1 and 2 - Both are classics, and WA2 has probably the most insane translation ever, and solid gameplay
Xenogears - A well loved classic but requires looking past some rough spots and a spotty last disc

• Locked thread