Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

loving lol Bubba Watson being the kid left out of the cool table and asking to join as an afterthought vice captain.

he openly said a few of the guys asked him to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DJExile posted:

Andrew Redington of Getty got an amazing picture of Rickie Fowler during the celebration while everyone else was smoochin' their GFs/wives.

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/782935441217613824

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha PFTcommenter owns

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Hey PA goons, do any of you know any good courses to play around the York/Harrisburg/Lancaster area? I'm going to be around for a wedding at the end of October and a group of us are hoping to maybe sneak 18 in.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I made an investment in my ball striking now that I work in such a place where I can't take a driving range lunch. The dog is already wise to my swing and knows the safest place is directly in front of me when I hit a ball :3:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's a very good dogge :3:

also that's quite the title

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Yeah I mentioned something in SH/SC and some sperglord lost his mind.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp, I just blew up my golf bag, or, how I am a Nike whore!

So I was supposed to take a Jeep trip this weekend/into next week up to TN, but thanks to this stupid hurricane the trip was cancelled. I had put away some money for the trip so suddenly I had some cash burning a hole into my pocket and figured what better time to blow up my bag!

Previous bag consisted of

Nike Vapor Fly Pro Driver
Cleveland 588 3 wood
TM Rocketballz 2 Hybrid
Nike Sumo 4 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 825 Irons
Titleist Vokey 56 wedge
Nike VR Pro 60 wedge
Nike Method Putter

So I kept the putter and driver, took everything else up to PGA SuperStore, traded all that poo poo in and now I have

Oh god! I've seriously wanted those irons since I first saw them and now I have them.

So I still need to order a 3 wood and probably one hybrid, I'll get them off of ebay this week. Yes I will try and find the Vapor Fly to match my driver lol.

I'm still off all next week so I plan on playing as many days as I can. I'm gonna hit the range tomorrow to see if my distances are the same. I was hitting the 7 iron on their sim and was between 170-180 which is my normal 7 iron distance so I should be good.

What have I done!!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 8, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Nice, I've heard lots of good about those irons. I love how the black finish looks but don't like how quickly it shows wear.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
That black set looks sexy as hell. A buddy of mine just got the black Apex's with the black steel shafts an those look really nice.

This is my new toy:

I hit my driver/3w/hybrids stupidly high (120'+ at apex) which gets me into a lot of trouble off the tee on tight tee shots. I also hate hitting hybrids off the tee in general.

This thing is like magic for me. 240-260y off a tee and never goes higher than 80-90' in the air. :getin:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Got out to the range today to try out the new sticks. Love love love love them. They launch higher than my mizuno's and I think the distance is maybe a little longer but they feel awesome. I'll be getting out probably to Orange County National on tuesday to put them to the test.

Also, I picked up a Callaway XR15 3 Wood today which I also hit and also loving love.

And one last thing to spend money on, bought a Callaway Apex 18* 2 hybrid to fill in the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron. It should be here wednesday.

My bag is complete and these should last me awhile, I think lol

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I love my 8 and 9 irons. I hit them well and consistently. Why oh why can I not hit my 7 iron?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That is a ridiculously pro putter cover.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

daslog posted:

I love my 8 and 9 irons. I hit them well and consistently. Why oh why can I not hit my 7 iron?

It might not be balanced correctly compared to the other two. Grab some lead tape and play around with it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Tiger just withdrew from this week's tournament because his 7 Iron is worse than mine.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

daslog posted:

Tiger just withdrew from this week's tournament because his 7 Iron is worse than mine.

Disappointing news. I don't care if he comes back and sucks or if he starts tearing it up again, I just think golf is more entertaining when Tiger's playing.

I played in an impromptu captain and mate match this afternoon, and our opponents were 4 under after 3 holes. We ended up winning, mostly thanks to my partner acing the par three 15th. Really fun time despite poor play on my part and some wind-related frustration.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Make him play the web.com tour. Or retire.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

Disappointing news. I don't care if he comes back and sucks or if he starts tearing it up again, I just think golf is more entertaining when Tiger's playing.

I played in an impromptu captain and mate match this afternoon, and our opponents were 4 under after 3 holes. We ended up winning, mostly thanks to my partner acing the par three 15th. Really fun time despite poor play on my part and some wind-related frustration.

It really is fun to watch golf when he's playing well. But when I look at his injury history in its totality it's not so good

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/numbers-look-back-woods-injuries/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Make him play the web.com tour.

this

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

daslog posted:

How well are you hitting your long irons? If the problem is just with the 7 iron it shouldn't be too much of a fix.

Went shopping for new clubs but nothing ever seems like a noticeable improvement on my Hogan Apex Edges. I guess it's a good thing to still enjoy the same set of clubs for 10 years.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Good question.

4 hybrid: I hook this a lot. I only hit it off the tee because it goes in the woods too much.

5 iron and 6 iron are the same as the 7, but with more disaster.

I have a good consistent drive off the tee with my 1 3 and 5 woods. So I end up doing a lot of driver, 8 iron, then a wedge to try to hit the green in three.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Finished up my bag the other day.

Picked up a Callaway XR15 3 wood and a Apex 2 Hybrid.

Have a few rounds in on the new clubs now and I absolutely love them. Haven't hit the 2 hybrid on the course yet but I spent some time in a sim with it and it will fill in nicely between my 4 iron and 3 wood.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I've yet to make an ace, but hooooly poo poo did I come close today. 125 yards PW 6" It actually burned the edge of the hole. So close.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 17, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Finished up my bag the other day.

Picked up a Callaway XR15 3 wood and a Apex 2 Hybrid.

Have a few rounds in on the new clubs now and I absolutely love them. Haven't hit the 2 hybrid on the course yet but I spent some time in a sim with it and it will fill in nicely between my 4 iron and 3 wood.

It bugs me in an incredibly autistic way that you have a Scotty headcover on a Nike putter.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

I've yet to make an ace, but hooooly poo poo did I come close today. 125 yards PW 6" It actually burned the edge of the hole. So close.

Neon yellow ball too

respect :cool::respek::cool:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

DJExile posted:

Neon yellow ball too

respect :cool::respek::cool:

Those Srixon Q-stars are pretty neat balls :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

It bugs me in an incredibly autistic way that you have a Scotty headcover on a Nike putter.

Lol. It's such a badass cover though!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The XR15 woods are legit. I hit my 4W better than anything else I've tried and my buddy hits his 3W very well too.

I played 51 holes yesterday and didn't even get to the course until 11:15. Can't get over how empty the course was all weekend despite the gorgeous weather. The course is in the best shape it's been in all year too, minus a couple holes where leaves make things a little annoying.

E: -2 68 this evening, bettering my 69 from a couple weeks ago! I could have gone even lower too, with a three-putt par on 14 and tap-in pars on 17 and 18. And of course even though tomorrow is supposed to be 78 and sunny, next week the weather is correcting itself with a vengeance and it'll be 40s and rainy. Welp.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 17, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's time for new clubs and I'm looking for suggestions. I plan to go down to Golf and Ski and pay the 75 bucks for a range fitting. Here is a link to what that is. It's only 75 bucks, and some of that gets credited to the purchase. Short money, why not? That being said, if it's too cold I'll do an indoor fitting. It's a Calloway place, but they will sell other stuff too.

http://www.golfskiwarehouse.com/custom-club-fitting/indoor-fitting-bays/
http://www.golfskiwarehouse.com/custom-club-fitting/range-fitting/

Of course they will ask if I have a brand preference. I have a ping set of Karsten game improvement irons that I picked up secondhand, but I'm not in love with any particular brand. I don't want to spend $1,000 on clubs that I don't need when a $700 set will do.

Also, I usually shoot in the 90's. (but not always). My driver is a Ping G25 that I got off ebay, and I hit it about 220 yards. (I also don't cheat on my score ever).

Edit: They also have one of these for $100.

http://www.golfskiwarehouse.com/callaway-performance-center/

Thoughts or comments?

daslog fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 18, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hit as many different sets as you can and pick the ones that give you the best results.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Hit as many different sets as you can and pick the ones that give you the best results.

Yeah it's really down to this. Swing 'em all and buy what feels best to you.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
*orrrrr go get fit

I worked with my guy in Los Angeles for over a year before I bought a set of irons. He's easily one of most knowledgeable golf guys I've ever met, and now I golf with his foursome every Sunday. Fun fact: he helped fit Bubba!

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 19, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

One or more of you guys play TM Tour Preferred X balls, right? The reviews and launch monitor numbers that are coming out for Costco's new ball (4 piece urethane, branded Kirkland Signature like other Costco stuff, made by a Korean company called Nassau) are basically identical to the TPX and they are $30 for two dozen. I ordered a pack off the Costco site and as a non-member paid $34 total since they have a free shipping deal going right now. They haven't arrived yet so I don't have first-hand feedback but I haven't seen any negative reviews at all from people who are playing them. Basically a tour quality premium ball that is under $1.50 apiece. I get pretty similar results from just about every tour ball so I should be able to play this one no problem. Hopefully I'll get to play them Friday or this weekend and post my thoughts.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

One or more of you guys play TM Tour Preferred X balls, right? The reviews and launch monitor numbers that are coming out for Costco's new ball (4 piece urethane, branded Kirkland Signature like other Costco stuff, made by a Korean company called Nassau) are basically identical to the TPX and they are $30 for two dozen. I ordered a pack off the Costco site and as a non-member paid $34 total since they have a free shipping deal going right now. They haven't arrived yet so I don't have first-hand feedback but I haven't seen any negative reviews at all from people who are playing them. Basically a tour quality premium ball that is under $1.50 apiece. I get pretty similar results from just about every tour ball so I should be able to play this one no problem. Hopefully I'll get to play them Friday or this weekend and post my thoughts.

I've got 2 boxes of those sitting on my doorstep right now thanks to UPS :)

Got a round scheduled for Saturday so I'll do a small write up on them.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I'm due to upgrade my irons after using a 15+ year old hand me down set for a while now. I saw Cobra is releasing a 1-length set because of DeChambeau. I know this is super uncommon up until this point, but has anyone seen/used any before? I know brands have come and gone with these before - any input on if this is just a gimmick?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I play Taylormade TP's (non-X) but I saw that Kirkland GC2 launch monitor review crap on reddit, they seem pretty legit. Might pick some up during a firesale around black friday though when they are $10 because I only pay $20/doz for the TP's through a golf pro buddy of mine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paul Proteus posted:

I'm due to upgrade my irons after using a 15+ year old hand me down set for a while now. I saw Cobra is releasing a 1-length set because of DeChambeau. I know this is super uncommon up until this point, but has anyone seen/used any before? I know brands have come and gone with these before - any input on if this is just a gimmick?

I've known a couple people that tried 1-length irons and said it takes quite a bit of getting used to, since higher-lofted irons typically weigh a little less. Near as I can tell they're not the worst idea since you'd basically only need to really work on one overall swing. You'd also really want to make sure the lie angle is right for you.

Golf Digest has a pretty good article on it

quote:

The question is whether the single-length set can produce the distance gaps that are seen in traditional, graduated-length iron sets. In traditional irons, the distance gapping from one iron to the next occurs through increasing swing speed (because of the iron’s longer arc), combined with the loft, as well as other hotter-face technologies. Also, in graduated-length sets, the irons get shorter the closer to the hole they’re going to be used, for enhanced precision.

In a single-length set the distance gaps occur through the change in loft and the changes in head weight. More mass in the long irons (relative to traditional iron sets) will transfer more energy to the ball; less mass in the short irons will reduce the force directed into the ball.

But single-length advocates say shaft length doesn’t have that effect. “Those half-inch gaps in traditional sets mean nothing to your distance,” says 1 Iron’s founder, David Lake, who believes single-length irons produce more repeatable distance gaps for all players. “When you start eliminating those variables of the stance, the timing, the ball position, the feel, the swing plane, that’s when golf actually starts to become a lot easier.”

Of course, across a range of lofts “easier” is a relative term. Though it seems likely that it might be somewhat easier to find the center of the face on a 4-iron built to a 7-iron length, it seems just as likely that a pitching wedge built to 7-iron length might produce the same kind of inconsistency you were hoping to eliminate in your long irons. In other words, there are compromises.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Paul Proteus posted:

I'm due to upgrade my irons after using a 15+ year old hand me down set for a while now. I saw Cobra is releasing a 1-length set because of DeChambeau. I know this is super uncommon up until this point, but has anyone seen/used any before?

I've seen one-length sets but not used them. Everyone I've seen with them looks like a giant dick (even more giant than people under 50 who use anchored putters).

If you have a chance to hit them without buying them, hit them and report your experiences. I would not recommend a blind purchase. If you hit them and like them, I would still think long and hard if you value the social aspect of golf.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

I've seen one-length sets but not used them. Everyone I've seen with them looks like a giant dick (even more giant than people under 50 who use anchored putters).

If you have a chance to hit them without buying them, hit them and report your experiences. I would not recommend a blind purchase. If you hit them and like them, I would still think long and hard if you value the social aspect of golf.

I'm kinda lost here, what makes them look like a dick? :confused:

Although yeah absolutely try them first before going all in on a set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Fully erect at all times

e: ok I might be being a little too :ironicat: for a serious question post, apologies. I would just caution that a user of one-length irons will (1) be different than 99% of golfers out there, and (2) is probably going to permanently alter their muscle memory in a way that affects their ability to swing a traditional set of clubs

runoverbobby fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 19, 2016