Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

Why didn't people like Genshiken 2? I didn't read the first one since that setting isn't really that compelling to me but people seemed to really like it. Plot gently caress up real bad?
Vanilla Genshiken is just a good overall story about some college kids hanging out, growing up and maturing together, some decent relationship stuff (both for romance and friendship), and ends on a pretty satisfactory note.

Genshiken 2 brings in a new guard that are nothing but gimmicks with no decent character arcs at all and actively tries to rope in the old cast in ways that feels like they've gone backwards as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Yeah, Genshiken 2 wasn't great. I still read it all, but it wasn't as an enjoyable ride. Granted, this time I had to wait a bunch for chapters, rather than pushing through in one go. The lack of a good Saki analogue really hurt the series. Glasses girl was a meddler, but she couldn't get stuff done like Saki did, which is made blatantly obvious by any chapter Saki does show up in. The Hato stuff was fine, but it felt like it was dragged out for way too long.

If you haven't seen the last chapter, there are a bunch of illustrations from other Afternoon artists. Some of them are pretty good/funny.

Lastly, lolKuchiki. Worst until the end of time.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
It hurts reading all the negativity about Genshiken 2. Genshiken is one of my favorite series but there was something about G2 that just could not grab me at all right from the start so I pretty much gave up on it, even before it got an anime and I really saw people's opinions about it, and it really sucks that it just never got any better. At least part 1 ended well enough that I can just ignore 2.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I come bearing a gift: after seven months, Shimanami Tasogare translations have started up again.

It's still as excellent as it was before, and it's branching out into gender talk too, besides sexuality.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kengan asura is good

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lmfao the raider dudes in wonderland actually were totally just cosplay mad max super fans who were already inside the mall when the event happened and decided to just roll with it after huffing tons of paint thinner

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Jose posted:

kengan asura is good

This manga is dumb as hell and I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Jose posted:

kengan asura is good

SAME

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Mikl posted:

I come bearing a gift: after seven months, Shimanami Tasogare translations have started up again.

It's still as excellent as it was before, and it's branching out into gender talk too, besides sexuality.

Yessss. It makes me really happy whenever there's a good serious LGBT manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cephas posted:

Yessss. It makes me really happy whenever there's a good serious LGBT manga.

I like how this one treats the subject matter in a more realistic manner; it seems like most manga with gay characters are either 1. intended to titillate the opposite sex or 2. overly optimistic (in the sense that they just consist of gay people and everyone they know being super happy and accepting of everything). This seems to pretty accurately reflect the fact that it is not easy to be LGBT in Japan and that things don't always work out that well* (like with the lady who told her parents about being a lesbian).

*edit: That being said, I still hope it turns out that the protagonist's crush is also gay and that things work out well for him.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 22, 2016

coathat
May 21, 2007

Manga about drawing manga while riding on a train. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/rapid-commuter-underground-r20023

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Ytlaya posted:

I like how this one treats the subject matter in a more realistic manner; it seems like most manga with gay characters are either 1. intended to titillate the opposite sex or 2. overly optimistic (in the sense that they just consist of gay people and everyone they know being super happy and accepting of everything). This seems to pretty accurately reflect the fact that it is not easy to be LGBT in Japan and that things don't always work out that well* (like with the lady who told her parents about being a lesbian).

I thought Hourou Musuko was a good example of being sweet but still down to earth enough to address trans issues, even though the last arc was pretty aimless.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
otouto no otto is drawn by a gay author and it's pretty good. It's interesting how he draws it from the perspective of a straight man that had a gay brother and how he deals with his own prejudice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Four new Soredemo chapters just dropped, I think this manga more than others I'll never be able to truly tell but I wonder if it's trying to wrap things up a bit?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I wonder if it's trying to wrap things up a bit?

The answer lies within (this image (possibly)):

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

RubberLuffy posted:

It hurts reading all the negativity about Genshiken 2. Genshiken is one of my favorite series but there was something about G2 that just could not grab me at all right from the start so I pretty much gave up on it, even before it got an anime and I really saw people's opinions about it, and it really sucks that it just never got any better. At least part 1 ended well enough that I can just ignore 2.

If it makes you feel better, I binged Genshiken in the last few days after hearing it was finally done. While the critiques are all pretty accurate I have to say that I still enjoyed the read (maybe it's because I empathized with Madarame, being a dense rear end idiot too :confused:). The new character, while not quite as amazing as the OG crew, were still fleshed out enough that I could get a sense of their personalities. All in all, it's not amazing, but it's an ok read when you're bored and trying not to think about midterms. 7/10 maybe?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sophism posted:

I thought Hourou Musuko was a good example of being sweet but still down to earth enough to address trans issues, even though the last arc was pretty aimless.

What I read of Bokura wa Hentai (most except for the last several chapters) was pretty good, though I'm liking Shimanami Tasogare more so far.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Four new Soredemo chapters just dropped, I think this manga more than others I'll never be able to truly tell but I wonder if it's trying to wrap things up a bit?

Me reading this right now

edit:
:cry:

Webcormac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 23, 2016

coathat
May 21, 2007

They should give him a trophy for making such a great manga.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New Uratarou

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/uratarou/en/0/10/page/1

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

z0glin Warchief posted:

The answer lies within (this image (possibly)):

Am I the only one who checked for rot13 on the towel text?

The mangaka is really dialling up the Mono no Aware to 11, I wonder if you can die from overdose?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
An entire new volume of March Comes in Like a Lion just dropped.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/3-Gatsu-no-Lion

edit: Hina-chan with the crippling bodyblow to Kiriyama's ego after they get out of the...sand sauna(?).

This series is just so good. I hope it goes on for a long time yet, even if it's about nothing, it's just charming and relaxing(...most of the time).

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 25, 2016

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Vesi posted:

Am I the only one who checked for rot13 on the towel text?

I guess you weren't too far off, just picked the wrong method.

Vesi posted:

The mangaka is really dialling up the Mono no Aware to 11, I wonder if you can die from overdose?

If you haven't read their previous (one-volume) series Nemurubaka, they do it there too. (I assume it's similar anyway, I'm not caught up on the last couple SoreMachi volumes yet.) The main characters are like Kon/Hotori prototypes even; it's worth a read if there are some good scans out there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

An entire new volume of March Comes in Like a Lion just dropped.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/3-Gatsu-no-Lion

edit: Hina-chan with the crippling bodyblow to Kiriyama's ego after they get out of the...sand sauna(?).

This series is just so good. I hope it goes on for a long time yet, even if it's about nothing, it's just charming and relaxing(...most of the time).

:unsmith:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I got stupidly excited that there's an implication of Shimada and Rei's teacher falling for Akari (I mean, the latter already did, BUT STILL)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

reading the new march lion after watching the anime is neat because boy is rei different by this point

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really, really like Rei's development in Lion. It's clear he's in a much better place at this point of his life, he's healthier physically, emotionally, and mentally, has goals he wants to strive for, and relationships he's built and maintained. But if you look back at the last 12 volumes, can you really point to a singular event that put him there? There was no sudden epiphany, no big wham moment that set him right, it was just a very gradual progression that both he and those who care about him had to slowly but surely plug away at to help him get over his issues (though not that he's 100% over them even now, of course). It's a far more nuanced and I think appropriate take on depression and how one assists them in overcoming it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, there were definitely wham moments, but most of them link back to akari's family. They're the lynchpin, but I get what you're saying. If he'd never met them he would no doubt have never changed.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Rejoice, happyscans have release a new volume of Dog Soldier

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/dog-soldier-r12704

god bless tetsuya saruwatari

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is that just Japanese Rambo?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Yep.

(I think)

https://twitter.com/ykours/status/791845915061432320

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Wow, ch 137 fully explains the whole previous arc about the alternate dimension too. What a way to go out, that was one of my favorite series.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The Munakata series is Seinen, right?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The latest chapter of Kengan Ashura is really something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hole-kun is very kawaii. (new dorohedoro)

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dorohedoro/Vol-022-Ch-148--Infernal-Friend?id=327218

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

tweet my meat posted:

Remember, the artist lived in America for a while. He gets us :911:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Tarezax posted:

Remember, the artist lived in America for a while. He gets us :911:

It was a weird choice to introduce the protagonist this late into the story, but better late than never.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love Chidaruma so much in the newest Dorohedoro.

Sophism posted:

Hourou Musuko just lasted way too long. The first few volumes are great but then it just starts meandering.

Nina fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 1, 2016

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014

Leper Residue posted:

Wow, ch 137 fully explains the whole previous arc about the alternate dimension too. What a way to go out, that was one of my favorite series.

I just can't wait for c138 to be translated. If it turns out that Hotori will disappear from existence it will be a real bummer. Hotori is my friend and super strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

Someone who finally understands me.