Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ratbert90 posted:

I still don't have this poo poo attitude that Microsoft or Apple is bad. Their all tools.
*They're

Typical Linux user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

*They're

Typical Linux user

drat it!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

ratbert90 posted:

Lol at this cubical dweller. Its a trifecta of stupid.

Wiped his CORPORATE computer? Check
Installed loving ARCH? Check
Hung a test print page with pride? Check

This. More and more companies are requiring full disk encryption for laptops too, so this could be a huge violation for corporate policies and security.

My environment is still the wild west, but we are making progress on this type of poo poo. If you want Linux, it is these 2 distros, and still have to run the Kace agent, etc.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 18, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Fedora in the sheets.

So you're a virgin.

On the off chance anyone remembers me asking about a recruiter pushing a phone screen with me back over and over: I actually got that job.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

*They're

Typical Linux user
Don't sign your posts.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

anthonypants posted:

Don't sign your posts.
Haven't seen this joke in years and have now seen it twice today (Ohsh in the iRacing thread).

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ratbert90 posted:

I have been using Linux since I was 12, my first distro was Slackware, and I am a embedded Linux engineer.

I still don't have this poo poo attitude that Microsoft or Apple is bad. They're all tools.

I also have Linux on my desktop at work, but it's Fedora, and all of the Servers run Cent7.

CentOS in the street, Fedora in the sheets.

High 5 fellow install from 57 floppies brother. :neckbeard:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My mom got some version of office from work long ago for windows 3.1. It was 30-40 floppies to install...then my dad made me copy them all :filez:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Don't copy that floppy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

High 5 fellow install from 57 floppies brother. :neckbeard:

Fuuuuuuuck yeah! First experience with linux was a command prompt.

Oh you want a gui? gently caress you learn how to get there yourself. :smug:

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

PBS posted:

Nice.

Our desktop team was working on a project for deploying surface books in our environment. Apparently it didn't play well with one of our C level's monitor setup when docking and that was the end of that.

Our Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book pilots both failed because the docks are garbage. Feels good not to be alone.

They've had 6 months of firmware updates, and still garbage.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

KS posted:

Our Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book pilots both failed because the docks are garbage. Feels good not to be alone.

They've had 6 months of firmware updates, and still garbage.

The only good Surface Dock solution

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
We have Surface Pro 4 docks and haven't had problems with them. They have two DisplayPorts which can each be split to connect to 2 monitors.

What's the deficiency? The only thing I've seen is a weird redraw issue on rare occasions.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Better than the Dell ones?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

We have Surface Pro 4 docks and haven't had problems with them. They have two DisplayPorts which can each be split to connect to 2 monitors.

What's the deficiency? The only thing I've seen is a weird redraw issue on rare occasions.

When the docks are connected and the device goes to sleep, they can 1) wake up and external monitors don't work, or 2) not wake up and require a hard reset to function again.

We piloted January-June and gave up, so maybe finally fixed?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Thanks for this and other posts like it.

skipdogg posted:

So before someone jumps your poo poo, System Center is a massive suite of software from Microsoft comprised of multiple moving pieces.

Most people when they say System Center, mean System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), I'm super guilty of this myself, made an rear end out of myself in front of my new boss earlier this year when talking about 'System Center'

SCCM is what you're looking for. There are a couple super awesome blogs on how to setup and manage SCCM environments, there is just a ton of information out there about it. It's stupid powerful as well.

What do you want to do with it is the question?

edit:

SCCM is incredibly well blogged about and documented. Multiple blogs and sites have entire walkthroughs about setting up SCCM and how to accomplish the most common tasks. The community support around SCCM is actually quite nice.

For reference the other pieces of System Center are:

System Center:

Virtual Machine Manager (self explanatory)
Operations Manager (monitoring)
Data Protection Manager (backup)
Orchestrator (Automation)
Service Manager (dear lord I hope you never have to use this)

More edits: I probably wouldn't bother with a book. Fire up a lab environment and install SCCM 2012R2 from the walkthrough at windows-noob and get a functioning environment. A technet article about deployment topologies for different size environments would be handy to learn as well.

Start messing around with it

Create an application/package deployment, setup the software store
Check out the reporting part of things, it's very powerful for created reports. How many computers have Visio installed? How many laptops have less than 8GB of ram?
OS deployment is another thing you can do, although I ended up using MDT for this part instead of integrating into SCCM. MDT was easier for us.
Handle patching with SCCM if you want

The only thing "messing around" with it won't cover is a large scale deployment where you need to think about Distribution Points, Boundary Groups, all that stuff.

I do a lot of work with Windows on AWS and, while I've made do with half-baked AMIs and lots of scripts, Im hoping to find a deployment tool that is designed for Windows and can be used to spin up app servers in an autoscaling group.

That plus monitoring. Old data center dashboards die hard and I like me some pretty status Windows and health bars. Even though WhatsUp Gold sucked large amounts of rear end, it made pretty charts to hang on a display in a NOC.

So I'll spin up an EC2 server or four in a couple of VPCs in a couple of regions and start installing stuff and see where it takes me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ratbert90 posted:

Fuuuuuuuck yeah! First experience with linux was a command prompt.

Oh you want a gui? gently caress you learn how to get there yourself. :smug:
2001-2002 was an interesting time for me to be learning Linux. All the distros had these great graphical installers, but if you wanted anti-aliased fonts, you were basically learning how to recompile the entire system from the ground up anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KS posted:

When the docks are connected and the device goes to sleep, they can 1) wake up and external monitors don't work, or 2) not wake up and require a hard reset to function again.

We piloted January-June and gave up, so maybe finally fixed?

We haven't run into this, but the mini-DPs on the dock seem to be...loose? They don't wiggle, but sometimes somebody will lose a monitor and jiggling the cable fixes it.

One of the devs who was experiencing it looked it up and apparently this somewhat common? On balance, our rollout has gone over very well with users.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Super Soaker Party! posted:

In other words right tool for the right job, which seems to be such a foreign concept to so many people.
I hate it when people get religious about their choice of computer/OS. Your computer is just a tool, it's not a lifestyle choice.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Collateral Damage posted:

I hate it when people get religious about their choice of computer/OS. Your computer is just a tool, it's not a lifestyle choice.

But I like my hammer! It works for screws too, see?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Collateral Damage posted:

Tell that to my sick LED-lit water cooling system that you can see through my huge side window, brah!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If any goons are at Dell World this week, holler. I'll probably be drinking myself into oblivioun to try and erase all this marketspeak from my brain.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Heard today: working in IT is 'being limited by the incompetence of your users'

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Heard today: working in IT is 'being limited by the incompetence of your users'

Wow that sounds almost militant. Its an interesting viewpoint to think about though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's pretty loving true, especially if you include management in your "users" category. A big part of IT is catering to the lowest common denominator. This is the first place I've worked at that didn't have a trainer and it is amazing how handicap I feel because of it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
I think one of our Apps Engineers (post sales support for our hardware/software) finally snapped today. I pulled up and he's slowly walking down the row of cars leaning over the hood of each one. It was so weird I sat in my car for 5 minutes watching him. He'd take about 30 seconds per car then move to the next. I got out of my car and he noticed me and at a volume way too high said "I'M JUST SNIFFING THE CARS. CAN I SNIFF YOURS?"

I said "sure, you do you."

As I was walking away he shouted "I'M NOT A PERVERT".

:confused:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Off the meds. Maybe it's lose your poo poo day. One of our PM's blew up on us today because he had to listen in on a "locker room talk" kind of meeting we have every week in the city. The client is represented by about 5 guys, and all of them are old dirty bastards. Lots if bigotry and racism, and this PM has an asian wife and a gay son and lots of close friends around the world - he was not pleased.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sepist posted:

Off the meds. Maybe it's lose your poo poo day. One of our PM's blew up on us today because he had to listen in on a "locker room talk" kind of meeting we have every week in the city. The client is represented by about 5 guys, and all of them are old dirty bastards. Lots if bigotry and racism, and this PM has an asian wife and a gay son and lots of close friends around the world - he was not pleased.

Really? Really?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sepist posted:

Maybe don't join in on horrible lovely conversations that should never be said no matter how old you are?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sepist posted:

This seems perfectly reasonable to blow up at.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Sepist posted:

I'm kind of with the PM here.

"locker room talk" - I hope that's sarcasm, or being ironic, or something, because really??

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Maybe don't join in on horrible lovely conversations that should never be said no matter how old you are?

Yeah man he should have told the clients that they were triggering him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sepist posted:

Are you saying the PM is in the wrong?

Because he's not.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think he's saying the PM got mad at them instead of the customer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pretty lovely situation for the PM to be in. If you try to politely say to the client that you're not comfortable with that sort of talk, that may be enough to upset the client and lose them. Which would likely put you in a bad position at your company. If you bring it up internally, your company is likely to just hem and haw. Best case is they bring it up to the client and say what... please don't speak that way around our employees?

Ideally, your company would have your back either way. But just by nature of having this conversation, not everything is ideal.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Perhaps you don't wish to have a business relationship with people who are using racist language. Is the contract that good

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Vargatron posted:

Perhaps you don't wish to have a business relationship with people who are using racist language. Is the contract that good

Oh dear

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vargatron posted:

You've never worked in a customer facing capacity, have you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

You've never worked in a customer facing capacity, have you.

Even if he/she has, the point is that maybe the company shouldn't bend over backwards to do business with everyone they can, and to maybe stand on morals and principles instead and refuse to condone racist bigoted poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Even if he/she has, the point is that maybe the company shouldn't bend over backwards to do business with everyone they can, and to maybe stand on morals and principles instead and refuse to condone racist bigoted poo poo.

But also, it's business, and it's kinda taken for granted that you are dealing with deplorable people in various capacities on the reg

I mean simply by existing within these capitalist structures we are all complicit in suffering on a vast scale but we all do business with each other sooo