Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The CMHC isn't even Basel compliant. They are compliant provided there are no defaults which means we're hosed. In the event of a modest number of defaults they don't have the reserves to fund operations.

namaste faggots posted:

Is the implication that a private cmhc would be reticent to lend to as many broke rear end thousandaires really true though?

gently caress no. Look at how they view health insurance risks in the US and apply that to mortgages and extrapolate.

That guy is a free market at all costs kinda guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You tory assholes had a decade to do this yourselves before the problem because as big as it has. fuckers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress Michael Ching chong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

namaste faggots posted:

gently caress Michael Ching chong

This... is wonderful is ways that are not cool.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

cowofwar posted:

Cut down trees, send to America, import value added furniture at high cost from America. #traditionalcanadianwayoflife

Get some skills some tools and a workspace and you can build some mighty fine furniture with our cheap as poo poo lumber.

Whoops sorry forgot y'all live in condos and apartments and probably aren't even allowed to keep a hammer in your home.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pixelboy posted:

This... is wonderful is ways that are not cool.

It's okay, he's ethnic Han.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

EvilJoven posted:

Get some skills some tools and a workspace and you can build some mighty fine furniture with our cheap as poo poo lumber.

Whoops sorry forgot y'all live in condos and apartments and probably aren't even allowed to keep a hammer in your home.

For a measly $50/month you can join up at the van co-lab and have access to all the badly mistreated wood tools your wanna-be craftsman heart desires, as long as you can put up with the terrible personalities running the place. It's where I made my roses. :3:

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

EvilJoven posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTcvmmOkqJI

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I did a social experiment last night with some bathroom attendants in the venues I went to. When I went to wash my hands, when the point came where I was to tip them I gave them a choice:

I will either give you a $5 tip, or the title to a free book that you can get online, literally read in an hour and develop within you a mindset about money that will attract 2-3x the tips you receive every night in the first month alone. Both said "that's way too much work" and therefore chose the $5. It's interesting to see that a lot of people complain about being poor, not having enough money, or their current financial standings in general yet most are unwilling to do the work it takes to create financial freedom. Most cannot accept that money is not actually separate from their beings (M.O.N.E.Y -= my own natural energy yield) and that all wealth is theirs. By following very simple principals anyone, ANYONE can get rich. By doing things in a certain way your results can and WILL change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And those offended would obviously be people in serious situations of lack who are stuck in their story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download this PDF if you're interested, it's a short read-this book is a classic.

The Science of Getting Rich W D Wattles 528hz Meditation
The Science of Getting Rich W D Wattles 528hz Meditation ►CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE BOOK :► Facebook :

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Butcher posted:

I did a social experiment last night with some bathroom attendants in the venues I went to. When I went to wash my hands, when the point came where I was to tip them I gave them a choice:

I will either give you a $5 tip, or the title to a free book that you can get online, literally read in an hour and develop within you a mindset about money that will attract 2-3x the tips you receive every night in the first month alone. Both said "that's way too much work" and therefore chose the $5. It's interesting to see that a lot of people complain about being poor, not having enough money, or their current financial standings in general yet most are unwilling to do the work it takes to create financial freedom. Most cannot accept that money is not actually separate from their beings (M.O.N.E.Y -= my own natural energy yield) and that all wealth is theirs. By following very simple principals anyone, ANYONE can get rich. By doing things in a certain way your results can and WILL change.

And those offended would obviously be people in serious situations of lack who are stuck in their story.

Download this PDF if you're interested, it's a short read-this book is a classic.

The Science of Getting Rich W D Wattles 528hz Meditation ►CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE BOOK :► Facebook :

The link to the PDF is broken.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

OSI bean dip posted:

Hey. Tell me when Hootsuite is going IPO

It looks like the City of Vancouver is interested in going ahead with rezoning part of the Mount Pleasant Industrial Area into allowing much higher density commercial with special density bonuses for "digital" use. Coincidentally this includes the parcel of land that Westbank CEO Ian Gillespie and Hootsuite CEO Ryan Holmes bought in 2015.

Leveraging Hootsuite hype and dangling the possibility of politically attractive green tech jobs into getting his land upzoned before Hootsuite fizzles seems like a pretty decent backup plan for Mr Holmes.

Here's an article about this from 2015.

quote:

Vancouver considers beneficial zoning changes to Hootsuite’s land

The owner of Vancouver’s biggest digital-tech company, Hootsuite, and one of the city’s most successful developers have joined forces to buy a block of land in the city’s hottest industrial zone just as zoning changes are being considered that could benefit the new partnership.

Vancouver’s assistant director of planning, Kent Munro, confirmed this week that planners are looking at changes to zoning in the area near the Olympic Village that might allow higher densities in a few restricted spots on the periphery.

The Hootsuite site was purchased for $40.5-million on Sept. 15 by a corporation formed in August. Its directors are Westbank Corp. developer Ian Gillespie and Hootsuite chief executive officer Ryan Holmes. The property, bounded by Main and Quebec streets and Fourth and Fifth avenues, straddles the eastern boundary of the industrial zone.

Mr. Munro didn’t rule out Hootsuite as a candidate for inclusion in that high-density zone. “It hasn’t gone public yet, so I’m not going to disclose the final thinking,” he said. “But there is a little mini-tech hub there and we’re looking at [whether there are] further ways to intensify the employment uses.”

As part of that, planners are also examining new definitions of “industrial” that might include “digital-tech” businesses as a kind of production or manufacturing that would be eligible to be in restricted industrial zones.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Butcher posted:

This works but my JO crystals need constant recharging and my gloves are way too short for my long fingers now

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Femtosecond posted:

It looks like the City of Vancouver is interested in going ahead with rezoning part of the Mount Pleasant Industrial Area into allowing much higher density commercial with special density bonuses for "digital" use. Coincidentally this includes the parcel of land that Westbank CEO Ian Gillespie and Hootsuite CEO Ryan Holmes bought in 2015.

Leveraging Hootsuite hype and dangling the possibility of politically attractive green tech jobs into getting his land upzoned before Hootsuite fizzles seems like a pretty decent backup plan for Mr Holmes.

Nobody outside of the 604 area code gives two shits about Hootsuite now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Femtosecond posted:

You didn't emphasize correctly, but don't worry bro I got you.

OSI bean dip posted:

Nobody outside of the 604 area code gives two shits about Hootsuite now.

I saw someone link a news article to me with a hootsuite referrer. It was a confusing experience.

I didn't click on the article in disgust tho.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
From a mailing list I am on

quote:

I need my home internet for my teaching job as well as some on-line  
courses to keep abreast of what is happening in the classroom. Here in  
Vancouver, rents have trippled (or more) since last summer. The rents  
for green grocers has also increased, causing food to double in price.  
I cannot sustain more increases be they taxes or service charges or  
international billionairs cashing in on lax Canadian laws.

I am not in a position to donate a dime, as I have been squeezed of  
all disposable income plus more.

1 gb is a joke. That is like telling me to quite my job because too  
many people are downloading movie crap. I am fighting way, way too  
hard to keep my head above water as it is. More taxes will break me.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

OSI bean dip posted:

A mailing list of teachers who believe in bootstraps, bootstraps, bootstraps?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

You didn't emphasize correctly, but don't worry bro I got you.

Darn I knew I should use made liberal use of this guy :airquote:.

Let's have a closer look into the proposed definition for what would receive :airquote: Digital :airquote: density bonuses of 2.0 FSR.

quote:

Proposed definition: Digital Entertainment and
Information Communication Technology

Means the use, design or development of technology to process digital
information and/or deliver a broad range of digital products and services,
including but not limited to business applications, data security, data
storage, management and processing, entertainment and gaming, interactive
educational, communications, e-commerce, social media, software and
mobile applications, and may include the use of information technology and
telecommunications infrastructure, for hosting, storing and processing digital
media, information and applications.

Clearly the important work of social media apps conflicts with all other other zoning and we need to set aside our preserved industrial zoning for it.

What happens when every developer tries to get the Digital density bonuses but then there's a tech crash and they have poo poo tons of empty generic office space they can't use for anything else? There's probably no actual enforcement of any of this so it probably doesn't matter.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

OSI bean dip posted:

Watching this stuff is like watching ISIS and Al Qaeda kill each other, except there are no innocent civilians to get hurt in Vancouver. :allears:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Why should anyone give a gently caress about whether or not an office/complex is used for "digital" businesses or not? It's either a viable business or it isn't (and knowing Vancouver, more likely the latter)... what possible advantage could be argued to result from having a bullshit, artificial, trendy restriction?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lexicon posted:

Why should anyone give a gently caress about whether or not an office/complex is used for "digital" businesses or not? It's either a viable business or it isn't (and knowing Vancouver, more likely the latter)... what possible advantage could be argued to result from having a bullshit, artificial, trendy restriction?

Possibly they're anticipating push-back from the area's community when midrise office buildings or towers are proposed and city staff and politicians can say "no guys these buildings won't be full of just regular ol' office jobs, they'll be our super special competitive advantage coders who make Vancouver great!"

That's somewhat of a non-cynical answer, when really it just seems like a straight-up handout to the landowners to be able to maximize development profits.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
it's because rezoning industrial areas in metropolitan centres is against every official plan

much like strip clubs, once industrial land is rezoned it disappears forever, never to be seen again. city centres have shortages of industrial zoned land for this reason.

so they are trying to justify why they are going against official planning policies

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

RBC posted:

it's because rezoning industrial areas in metropolitan centres is against every official plan

much like strip clubs, once industrial land is rezoned it disappears forever, never to be seen again. city centres have shortages of industrial zoned land for this reason.

so they are trying to justify why they are going against official planning policies
But they can't put tech developers in a normal area zoned for non-industrial, only in this area that happens to be owned by some rich dudes because ~reasons~

If they did this it would open the flood gates of whining from all the other developers. Like that one developer who built that tower on land zoned for marina use or whatever.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

It's almost as if zoning is largely a bullshit concept

Sure, keep the chemical plants and such geographically separate, but otherwise who gives an actual gently caress

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Lexicon posted:

Sure, keep the chemical plants and such geographically separate, but otherwise who gives an actual gently caress

Nothing bad will happen if you put homes around explosive chemicals.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Doesnt zoning have a huge impact on traffic (both commercial and commuter)? In theory it would also slow down suburban growth but that never actually happens.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
loving hootsuite cannot fail soon enough

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Lexicon posted:

Toronto has (argueably illegal) dispensaries beside schools right now.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Risky Bisquick posted:

Toronto has (argueably illegal) dispensaries beside schools right now.

What is wrong with medical marijuana dispensaries? We may as well not put a Shoppers Drug Mart near any schools because they provide medicine based on synthetic opiates.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

What is wrong with medical marijuana dispensaries? We may as well not put a Shoppers Drug Mart near any schools because they provide medicine based on synthetic opiates.

Growing on site can lead to a lot of side effects and either needs proper ventilation (and industrial zoning) or a farm setting. Dispensaries that aren't growing should be fine though (but Toronto's bylaw still sets a distance.)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

Arivia posted:

Growing on site can lead to a lot of side effects and either needs proper ventilation (and industrial zoning) or a farm setting. Dispensaries that aren't growing should be fine though (but Toronto's bylaw still sets a distance.)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

loving hootsuite cannot fail soon enough

Have you ever met anyone from there? I got introduced to a whole gaggle of them at a Meetup once... they basically all act like they were personally selected by Peter Thiel for a new, stealth Sergey-Brin/Mark-Zuckerberg-backed startup.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
My brother in law used to work there. I tried to get him to poo poo talk Holmes when he quit but I failed.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Lexicon posted:

Have you ever met anyone from there? I got introduced to a whole gaggle of them at a Meetup once... they basically all act like they were personally selected by Peter Thiel for a new, stealth Sergey-Brin/Mark-Zuckerberg-backed startup.

quote:

While I'm flattered by your attention, please note I am very happy at Hootsuite. Let me rephrase that. I consider earning a spot on the Security team at Hootsuite to be the professional equivalent of winning the lottery. And for all sorts of reasons I'll not bore you with, Hootsuite has earned, and deserves, my total loyalty. I will be here as long as they want me. But thanks for asking.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Turns out that Peter Thiel, the guy that injects blood from children into his body in an attempt to extend his life, has the same brainwashing power of a real vampire.

Hootsuite is the next RIM CI, we are going to see that thing hobble along for a decade+ on government assistance because reasons.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Does Hootsuite have any useful patents because in 10 years their real estate will be worth nothing.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Hootsuite is the next RIM CI, we are going to see that thing hobble along for a decade+ on government assistance because reasons.

RIM was at least a successful world-class company. Hootsuite has never been anything beyond like the 60th most successful tech startup in the world even at its peak and it's fairly likely that it will never IPO.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

DariusLikewise posted:

Does Hootsuite have any useful patents because in 10 years their real estate will be worth nothing.

Hootsuite literally rides on the coattails of Twitter which too is a failing company.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hootsuite is a developer for a platform that can't even get anyone to buy it because it has no revenue model or business case.

Edit beaten.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
RIM: 2-5b worth in patents

Hootsuite: a computerized web scraping method used to aggregate online platforms that may include social media. 9 [NINE] total patents nevermind, they have none lol

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&FIELD2=&d=PTXT

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Guys you're missing the broader point here: HOOTSUITE IS A REVENUE NEUTRAL UNICORN