Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

lmao

Get hosed Albertans

well that'd solve one problem in that article I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
God dammit, Justin

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/nathancullen/status/788737970996150272

I would have supported him if he ran last time, I'm happy to see he's in this time~

He's one of the best MPs from any party, I'm a big fan

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

flakeloaf posted:

Cons: Your plans for electoral reform are just going to solidify your ability to hold power
Libs: Fine then no electoral reform
i think this is a pretty clear statement that theres going to be a referendum

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

flakeloaf posted:

Cons: Your plans for electoral reform are just going to solidify your ability to hold power

hahahahaha

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/nathancullen/status/788737970996150272

I would have supported him if he ran last time, I'm happy to see he's in this time~

this is the precise amount of libbing they usually do :shrug:

He's my MP and for whatever reason we have been on a first-name basis in the past.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

He's my MP and for whatever reason we have been on a first-name basis in the past.

Same, I met him years ago, and every time I see him around New West he remembers and greets me by name. Nice guy.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

flakeloaf posted:

loving christ. loving christ.

E: Messaged my MP and am looking forward to seeing what he has to say about it.

Vic Boss fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 19, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

He's going to say this.:

RBC posted:

i think this is a pretty clear statement that theres going to be a referendum

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I for one welcome the beginning of the thousand year reign of the Trudeau lineage

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I for one have been bombarded with polls, with the question of whether a referendum should be required pretty central to it.

Here's hoping everyone else answering is asking for Proportionality too.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
Here's hoping the referendum doesn't include a choice for "keep the current system". That may be the only circumstance I'd be fine with a referendum - that, and making it a non-binding "public interest" sort of deal.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What did Julian do? Anything svendesque

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I for one have been bombarded with polls, with the question of whether a referendum should be required pretty central to it.

Here's hoping everyone else answering is asking for Proportionality too.

My recent census poll for this month has been about Uber and Lyft and whether I use them or not.

I'm in Winnipeg, they don't operate here

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vic Boss posted:

Here's hoping the referendum doesn't include a choice for "keep the current system". That may be the only circumstance I'd be fine with a referendum - that, and making it a non-binding "public interest" sort of deal.

The Referendum will probably have 8 choices on it with one needing 70% of the vote to move to that system.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Trudeau is definitely the PM canadians deserve.

quote:

But a more interesting statistic emerged when Abacus asked how people would feel if a carbon pricing plan that encouraged a shift toward greater use of clean energy was accompanied by a new pipeline to get Canada’s oil and gas to new markets.

The result is a potential game-changer: three out of four Canadians would support or accept this shift, including majorities in every region.

In Alberta, 92 per cent of respondents bought into the idea; in Saskatchewan, the number was 83 per cent. A large majority of Conservative voters was supportive (87 per cent) and 62 per cent of NDP voters said they could go along with this decision.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-c...s-poll-suggests

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Trudeau is definitely the PM canadians deserve.

Classic Canada. It's like banning asbestos but still making money off producing and exporting it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canadians are fine with mining tailings poisoning people as long as it's central american natives and not themselves. FYGM.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Watermelon posted:

My recent census poll for this month has been about Uber and Lyft and whether I use them or not.

I'm in Winnipeg, they don't operate here

It's a Labour Force Survey component. don't say census when it's not running it'll give me a stroke

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

RBC posted:

Classic Canada. It's like banning asbestos but still making money off producing and exporting it.

Stop trying to mettle in the affairs of the Quebecois.

DariusLikewise posted:

The Referendum will probably have 8 choices on it with one needing 70% of the vote to move to that system.

I demand that Gilles Duceppe set the record straight on what is an acceptable amount of votes.

Really though just change to a system of PR jfc

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Canadians are fine with mining tailings poisoning people as long as it's central american natives and not themselves. FYGM.

This is unironically true unfortunately.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

cowofwar posted:

Not true. Canada has a long standing tradition of poisoning indigenous people within its own borders as well. Doesn't need to be mine effluent, for years mercuric chloride was dumped into pulp mill effluent as a defoaming agent so people wouldn't get upset about seeing foamy water.

I wonder why people might be a little skeptical at being told the methyl mercury in Muskrat Falls sediment is natural and shouldn't be a problem when more of it gets flushed into the new reservoir?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Sometimes the rurals just need a little nudge to do the right thing and move to the cities.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

RBC posted:

I'm almost genuinely surprised the Quebec liberals didn't try to reopen them; they were promising to renew loans during the election that shut the mines down, while telling them to get hosed was the PQ's plan.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Sometimes the rurals just need a little nudge to do the right thing and move to the cities.

We don't need more bridge and tunnel dipshits in Metro Vancouver.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Eox posted:

It's a Labour Force Survey component. don't say census when it's not running it'll give me a stroke

sorry

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

wait this is the best part

Justin Trudeau posted:

Sous M. [Stephen] Harper, il y avait tellement de gens mécontents du gouvernement et de son approche que les gens disaient “ça prend une réforme électorale pour ne plus avoir de gouvernement qu’on n’aime pas”. Or, sous le système actuel, ils ont maintenant un gouvernement avec lequel ils sont plus satisfaits. Et la motivation de vouloir changer le système électoral est moins percutante [ou moins criante].

quote:

Under Harper, there were so many people unhappy with the government and his approach that people were saying "we need electoral reform to no longer have a government we don't like". But now, under the current system, they have a government they're happy with, so the motivation to change the system is no longer there.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

the census gives us a big boost to response rates, at the cost of one in five respondents saying "i already did my census" and hanging up

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is there a video of this statement, cause that's some grade a narcissism right there.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Pinterest Mom posted:

I often think the thread's 20/20 "Told you so!" attitude towards the Libs is misguided, but holy lol that's terrible.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Pinterest Mom posted:

"Well now that we have a majority government, I don't think people want us to change the system in which we got a majority government"

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
e: double post

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

thehoodie posted:

"Well now that we have a majority government, I don't think people want us to change the system in which we got a majority government"

and with almost exactly the same popular vote percentage as the last guys. Just waiting for them to say "Well, only 39% of canadians really gave us a mandate to change it so it doesn't feel right..."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

There isnt an ironicat big enough for this.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Justin is basically Obama who was quoted as saying "show me a movement", as in he was only willing to do something if there was already a movement of people who wanted it done. Basically classical worthless populist politician not willing to stick his neck out and content to coast on feel-good speeches.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 19, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol that's some loving grade a Canadian exceptionalism there buddy. Justin isn't half as accomplished or intelligent as Obama.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That's giving both Trudeau and Obama way too much credit. All evidence suggests both of them are politicians deep within the elite-consensus-bubble and that they'd greet any movement pushing for policies outside that bubble with extreme irritation and disdain. Just look at how Trudeau has treated native activists or the way the Obama justice department actively coordinated with local law enforcement to close down the various Occupy Wall Street encampments spread around the country.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Only progressive in the sense that he doesn't fight against the will of the majority. So he's totally pro gay rights but only as soon as the focus groups and polling show that it's viable politically, then he's in the pride parades.

Why he has now flopped on electoral reform and pipelines. Soon others no doubt.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Hillary can't invade this lovely country soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

peter banana posted:

Loosen the kafkaesque restrictions on international educated doctors and nurses so people can get loving access to healthcare.
No, that's not a great idea. Instead we should train, in Canada, sufficient numbers of doctors and nurses so that people can get access to healthcare, without relying on international education of wildly varying standards.