Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

excitedly fired wows up today to buy the belfast but it looks like the update is now going to be tomorrow :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

WHAT?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The NA server is down for it right now, so it's definitely happening

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

NA is today EU is tommorrow i think.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Phew.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Polyakov posted:

NA is today EU is tommorrow i think.

It's not fair :qq:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The patch is up for NA

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

The British cruisers have many unique gameplay features:
Starting at tier II, they all have a gun caliber of 152mm. On one hand, this results in a high fire rate, but ballistic properties, penetration, and damage per shell are lower
They only mount AP shells, though with excellent ricochet angles and low fuse arming delay time, which will significantly decrease the number of ricochets and over-penetrating hits

Well, that should be interesting vs battleships

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Well, that should be interesting vs battleships

Watching a few of the better youtubers like Flamu playing with them, they seem fine against BBs with plunging fire or superstructure shots (they tend not to overpenetrate) but tend to bounce off angled DDs which is lol.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
AP-only vs BBs sounds bad but if you watch Flamu's Minotaur video you can see how the damage adds up. Even in a Hindenberg or Des Moines, you can do some serious AP damage to BB superstructure at any range and the Des Moines can citadel anything at <10km.

I was actually in that game he uploaded and even though i was fairly close to him the whole match I didn't get a sense that he had cranked out 160k damage.

Still think the Belfast is going to be OP as hell. It needs to lose the T8 upgrade slot and/or its HE ammo.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

AP-only vs BBs sounds bad but if you watch Flamu's Minotaur video you can see how the damage adds up. Even in a Hindenberg or Des Moines, you can do some serious AP damage to BB superstructure at any range and the Des Moines can citadel anything at <10km.

I was actually in that game he uploaded and even though i was fairly close to him the whole match I didn't get a sense that he had cranked out 160k damage.

Still think the Belfast is going to be OP as hell. It needs to lose the T8 upgrade slot and/or its HE ammo.

Do the Belfast have special English AP that don't overpen?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I kinda hate not having HE.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Just got the Koenigsberg and considering getting the FCS upgrade before the hull, when it occurred to me - why do we even have the FCS upgrade anyway? It's the exact same dull 10% range upgrade for every single ship, and the only tradeoff is XP.

Generally speaking, actual FCS upgrades meant adding fragile equipment like radar to get the benefit, and the consequences for getting it knocked out were severe - see Scharnhorst for example. So why not make the upgrade more of a tradeoff? Add an FCS module to ships that can take damage, reducing long range accuracy and maximum range when it's damaged or knocked out. But give the stock FCS much better survivability than the upgrade, while the upgrade would get a sliding accuracy bonus that doesn't change anything at maximum range but reduces dispersion at optimal range (say 8-12km). So overall a nerf for BB snipers (who gain nothing but the chance to get their FCS damaged), but a buff for brawlers (losing the FCS doesn't affect close range anyway, plus theirs would be tougher), and a meaningful option for your standard BB - do I take the upgrade and aim to wreck brawlers before they get close, or do I keep the stock one so that brawlers can't rush me when I've been blinded?

I know FCS as a module has been talked about before, but I've not seen a WG response on it. Seems they're still looking for ideas to make BBs actually get involved though.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Is it me or do the RN cruisers detonate if a BB looks at them funny?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I opened my 5 free containers, and got

EDIT: I no longer feel special. Thanks NTRabbit.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 19, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Everyone gets the same thing from the 5 free containers

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The 255 Damage Control IIs are worth almost six million credits, and everybody posting in this thread is going to use them all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Black Swan whackamole is pretty fun, 30 Black Swans with no HE doing only 550 damage for a citadel

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ZombieLenin posted:

Is it me or do the RN cruisers detonate if a BB looks at them funny?

All cruisers do.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I was curious, so I tried it out: You can't reload a partial torpedo mount. So fire all the torps from a given mount when you decide to fire.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Black Swan whackamole is pretty fun, 30 Black Swans with no HE doing only 550 damage for a citadel

My first match had one Orlan, on my team, and he ended up being a god. So many fires.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So what's the level one skill for RN cruisers, BFT or survivability? What about level 2, expert marksman or last stand? Minotaur does a silly 4s turret turn, but the worst it gets is 25.7s for Belfast to Edinburgh

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
What the point in Fubuki Hull C?

How does British Cruisers work against DDs? No HE so it seems there are two possibilities. AP overpenetrates and does little damage or AP fuses and deletes the DD.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Lady Morgaga posted:

How does British Cruisers work against DDs? No HE so it seems there are two possibilities. AP overpenetrates and does little damage or AP fuses and deletes the DD.

Or AP bounce for no damage

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lady Morgaga posted:

C hull is more AA at the cost of a turret. Cool kids research it but leave the B hull installed.

For the RN AP against DDs, it actually looks like the most likely outcomes are bounce for no damage or pen for good damage. With the bounces being more likely unless you get a shot at their side.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Welp, looks like I'll wait for British BBs. Because laffo at Brit cruisers from what I'm hearing.

Any word on the Belfast? Worth it or meh?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
How does British AP compares to German AP on Konigsberg for example?

El Disco posted:

C hull is more AA at the cost of a turret. Cool kids research it but leave the B hull installed.
Yeah it reaaaally doesnt seem to worth it to lose a turret for AA. Its just a chunk of exp to lose on the way to Kagero.

Thronde posted:

Any word on the Belfast? Worth it or meh?
Flamu considers it completely overpowered.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm just excited there will be people playing cruisers again instead of 6 battleships per game.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

CitizenKain posted:

I'm just excited there will be people playing cruisers again instead of 6 battleships per game.

This. I may have to start playing again but loving the cruiser life and getting 168 BBs in the queue and 4 cruisers does not make for fun gameplay.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lady Morgaga posted:

So far in T4, Brit AP murders DDs.

I can't figure out what skills to buy for the life of me.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Devorum posted:

So far in T4, Brit AP murders DDs.

I can't figure out what skills to buy for the life of me.

Go PROMODE. No skills at all, just points sitting on your captain. Be an hero.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Chill la Chill posted:

All cruisers do.

Not nearly as much. I've played about 6 games in RN games so far and I've been detonated with a 2 shell pen, and a 3 shell pen.

That's a remarkably high rate of detonation for penetrating hits.

Edit

I'm only on tier 4 (and played 6 games) so take it with a grain of salt, but my impression of the RN cruisers is not good.

High citadels with no armor mean you go boom really quick. The addition of a damage control party seems like it will help, but it doesn't since typically your health is reduced by 2/3rds or more the first time someone lands a hit.

The fact that you don't lose speed in turns helps a bit; however, some people are good at shooting and the ones that aren't only need to get lucky.

Add to this, the lack of HE is both dumb and ahistorical (as is the gun caliber), the AP shell velocity sucks, and so do the firing arcs.

The only thing they really have going for them is fine control of torpedo launches, but this feels gimmicky and is not in any way worth the trade offs.

But of course, I am totally open to being wrong here. Just my initial impressions.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 19, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZombieLenin posted:

Not nearly as much. I've played about 6 games in RN games so far and I've been detonated with a 2 shell pen, and a 3 shell pen.

That's a remarkably high rate of detonation for penetrating hits.

From what I recall they have jussssst enough armor to ensure the shell fuses and they're made of citadelanium like the Pepsi.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I'm expecting that I won't like the RN cruiser line all the way up, but that I'll have a fun time slumming it up to about Tier V or so. And that'll tell me a lot about how to FACEWRECK red ones in the future.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I have a lot of free time at my job. Like most places run by people completed disconnected from reality, there is a no personal electronic devices policy. My bosses don't care because it is TYOOL 2016, but I don't have friends so loving around on the phone isn't even useful for me. I decided that spending my free time making models would be amusing so I bought this.

Looking forward to showing off the drenched in godzilla snot glue and whore makeup paint job that results.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
That's pretty cool. I wish I was artistic, I'd love to put together a Mogami.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I have a Graf Spee sitting around that I've never built because I just know it'll look awful when I paint it and I don't want it to.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Tamiya makes great models. I got into them during the early World of Tanks era and have an embarrassingly awful Pz IV Ausf G. somewhere in a closet.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
There was a south dakota one too, but it was 1/700 scale (battleship for ants fleas!) and also playing with that ship is miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Glancing through the British tree, there are some truly hilarious wastes of time available for research. Why yes, I feel like spending 12,000 exp and 1,000,000 silver to get better torpedoes for the Fiji - a whole +434 damage per torpedo and not a single other change. The Neptune's torpedo upgrade doesn't look worth it either.

edit: Also halfway through Rank 10 now, with a nice 4 victories today. Was nice after going 3/11 in Random prior to that.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 19, 2016