Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Neat, Gideon and Chandra, Flamecaller will be legal longer, and it's nice to do it now with a set that doesn't have THAT many cards that're played in Standard, so they won't be overbearing.

Inagine if they did this last year and, surprise, here's six more months of fetching and Seige Rhino's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

En Fuego posted:

I'm still confused :(

No cards drop out of standard until we're done in Egypt. Then everything before Kaladesh goes away together.

(six more months of aetherworks marvel)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mystic Mongol posted:

No cards drop out of standard until we're done in Egypt. Then everything before Kaladesh goes away together.

(six more months of aetherworks marvel)

Yeah I feel like they buried the lead there, they talk about how Kaladesh is going to be Standard for 24 months, but not how this extends Battle for Zendikar by 6 months since Amonkhet won't cause a rotation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I agree with this all the way. gently caress short rotations and the money grab. It wasn't good for players.

They need to get quicker on bannings though if something is degenerate.

The shorter rotations was supposed to keep the price of standard down though...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

And the logic was terrible. How in earth was that ever suppose to make standard cheaper at all?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ahahaha I knew it. I told everyone I knew they would go back to this after people just stopped playing standard and went to eternal formats instead of bullshit 6mo rotations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Ahahaha I knew it. I told everyone I knew they would go back to this after people just stopped playing standard and went to eternal formats instead of bullshit 6mo rotations.

IMO people should still stop playing standard and move to eternal formats

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

And the logic was terrible. How in earth was that ever suppose to make standard cheaper at all?

Because the cards were usable for less time and therefore should be cheaper. I actually think it worked. Standard is pretty cheap right now.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It seems cheap now but then you have to rebuy a bunch of stuff. I guess those are the opposing forces.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Because the cards were usable for less time and therefore should be cheaper. I actually think it worked. Standard is pretty cheap right now.

Not having $80 Jace in Standard also helps.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

The problem with this reasoning is that magic cards don't follow any normal rational market rules like that and even if they did there's still a ton of other factors that influence the price more than length of standard legality

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

Not having $80 Jace in Standard also helps.

I don't think you will ever have another 80 dollar card in standard.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

I don't know the exact numbers but I'd wager that having to buy new cards twice as often offset any cheaper cards. Plus standard is about as expensive now as it was before khans ever came around.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Which is canceled out by needing to buy a totally new set of cards to replace the ones that are no longer standard legal.

Although its probably never going to happen, sets needs to be more than 3 months apart. The first month of any set release is dumb with prices being super inflated. You get a good solid month of prices being lower and more consistent then before you know it you are in the last few weeks of the next set being out and people not wanting to play standard events because its all about to change again.

mcmagic posted:

The next time they print a modern staple at mythic in standard.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
This also means 6 more months of typed duals in standard, which greatly decreases the odds of them reprinting the rest of the fetches in amonkhet, if there was ever a chance of that happening. Hopefully they'll do it in a supplemental set so I can buy tarns.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The 7/8 set Pro Tours are going to be extremely repetitive/boring unless they bring back another format to the Pro Tour.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

The next time they print a modern staple at mythic in standard.

noted $80 card Grim Flayer

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

f,b

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Lili is already halfway there, I don't think it will go as high as Jace did, but Standard is only cheap if you avoid certain cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Boco_T posted:

The 7/8 set Pro Tours are going to be extremely repetitive/boring unless they bring back another format to the Pro Tour.

Like a previous poster said, I bet this change is to combat moderns popularity in the face of all the negative modern articles and its vacancy in the pro tour. So either you give the public what it wants and print more modern sets or you make standard less volatile.

Elyv posted:

As much as I like grim flayer in modern personally, its not a card you build a deck around and not even a guaranteed include in the decks it sees play in. The fact that its 16 bucks says more to modern propping up the price than anything.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 19, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Turn 4 Ulamogs for a full year!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

Lili is already halfway there, I don't think it will go as high as Jace did, but Standard is only cheap if you avoid certain cards.

You can get a Liliana for 30 bucks on TCG right now, it's the most expensive card in standard by a lot and it's not even heavily played.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Welcome back Modern

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Like a previous poster said, I bet this change is to combat moderns popularity in the face of all the negative modern articles and its vacancy in the pro tour. So either you give the public what it wants and print more modern sets or you make standard less volatile.

Pretty much everyone I knew who was in Uni started to trade for modern when the 6mo announcement was made. And that's a huge chunk of their core market. The terrible, terrible standard the past year didn't help things. So the damage is already done, but hey maybe a few will come back but with huge reluctance since who really wants to trade eternal format cards into standard again?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There are six blue goblins. The first was Razorfin Hunter.

Fact: Goblin Flectomancer is the best of the blue goblins.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
It's funny to me that the justification was "standard will be cheaper" and "people won't get bored with the decks" but after the announcement it seemed like a lot of people more less said "well i guess I am done with standard" and just packed it up and moved to playing modern or EDH or another format.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You can get a Liliana for 30 bucks on TCG right now, it's the most expensive card in standard by a lot and it's not even heavily played.

Which is baffling because its currently not positioned well in standard and hasn't been more of a 2 off in modern at all. It is a 3 cmc lily however and people are holding on to her like a fart in a packed room. I have 1 currently and I am not spending 30 bucks on her right now. She doesn't deserve to be over 20.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Pretty much everyone I knew who was in Uni started to trade for modern when the 6mo announcement was made. And that's a huge chunk of their core market. The terrible, terrible standard the past year didn't help things. So the damage is already done, but hey maybe a few will come back but with huge reluctance since who really wants to trade eternal format cards into standard again?

How many standards haven't been terrible in the last 4 years? I would think people would be somewhat used to it by now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't play Standard but this seems really premature to walk back right now. DTK/ORI rotating was supposed to be the first iteration of this 18 month rotation cycle, and then it gets scrapped a week or two later? I'm wondering if they just looked at everything that's happened over the last year or so and decided that Masterpieces were a better way to drive down the cost of in-print cards, instead of limiting their time in Standard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

How many standards haven't been terrible in the last 4 years? I would think people would be somewhat used to it by now.

Milling each other out with psychic spirals or drownyards was cool and good, actually.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

Welcome back Modern

Hello again January modern bannings?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/JeffHoogland/status/788760168343404544

:irony:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

hahaha

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who follows standard but doesn't play it this is bad news. For someone on the treadmill buying cards knowing they'll drop to oblivion six months sooner I could see why they wouldn't bother. Their justification that people felt out of touch and couldn't keep up for that reason is obviously bogus.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

It does in some senses, but having to buy cards twice as often because your entire old deck stopped being legal completely eliminated that. This isn't a decision they make where they care how the invested players think about it. Clearly Standard attendance was falling at a rate they considered alarming and that was the reason why.

Anecdotal evidence agrees.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I agree with this all the way. gently caress short rotations and the money grab. It wasn't good for players.

They need to get quicker on bannings though if something is degenerate.

I wonder if Wizards would have banned anything if Bant Company had the chance to stick around for six more months.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Angry Grimace posted:

It does in some senses, but having to buy cards twice as often because your entire old deck stopped being legal completely eliminated that. This isn't a decision they make where they care how the invested players think about it. Clearly Standard attendance was falling at a rate they considered alarming and that was the reason why.

Anecdotal evidence agrees.

This is probably the reason. However, it's horrible reasoning on their part, since this also coincided with the most expensive standard format on record. Were people really leaving because of rotation, or was it because they were sick of $75 Jace being in every deck if they wanted to be competitive? I'm not saying they're necessarily wrong, just that they can't prove that one caused the other when there is the enormous factor of fetchlands warping the price of standard manabases, for example, and I wish they had the patience to see how this block shakes out in terms of reducing that barrier to entry.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Can confirm that 6 month rotations made me pretty much stop giving a poo poo about Standard at all once my playset of Companies rotated and make a Modern deck instead, and I am pumped to get off the Treadmill.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Voyager I posted:

Can confirm that 6 month rotations made me pretty much stop giving a poo poo about Standard at all once my playset of Companies rotated and make a Modern deck instead, and I am pumped to get off the Treadmill.

I've been doing something similar, when I do play Standard I just play wacky cheap things. Then what remains of my magic budget goes towards modern pieces, at this point I've ended up with a good number of Modern decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah again anecdotally but standard reverting to once a year rotations makes me actually interested in getting back into it so there might be something to their logic

• Locked thread