Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Jsor posted:

In fairness, by the time mass popular culture started actually openly talking about gay people in more than blanket stereotypes, one-liners, or coded symbolism we had made such a mess in the Middle East it and terrorism dominated pretty much every depiction vaguely related to the US military. And any piece set in a historical period before the whole Iraq quagmire is before the policy started because the US didn't really do any military action during the mid-late 90s that penetrated our culture the way Viet Nam, Iraq, WW2, or the Cold War did.

That's a very good point. It's sort of a weird blind spot/topic that hasn't been discussed much. And since it's a US only policy it's not as if you could have non-US movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DStecks posted:

If you don't know what cultural appropriation is, just look up Pat Boone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlt6POm-lc

The monster!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh, yeah, no, I don't support the conquering thing, it's just a rather common thing in history is all.

But yeah, getting upset that cultures are intertwining and forming something new and different is weird.

Yeah. I mean, look at Peter Gabriel: he took a lot of inspiration from World Music to make some great songs, but he also did a lot to promote those musicians he took inspiration from. That's a good thing!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As much as it is easy to jump on pat Boone for taking black music and sanitizing it for white audiences, he's still an important part of American pop music history, because he is responsible for the songs reaching a wider audience, regardless of whether it was done from altruism (it wasnt) or profit motivated (it was).

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Deport The Irish posted:

I think VR is going to find its niche in the same homes of the people who bought the full orchestra of plastic instruments during the Guitar Hero/Rock Band craze. It's really fun as a high-tech novelty for everyone to make themselves look like doofuses with after a few drinks but I can't ever imagine wanting to use one when just relaxing with a game after work. Also like 99.9% of VR games fail the test of "can I play this comfortably while sitting/laying on the couch?" which also made those plastic instruments and general motion controls inherently doomed to failure.

After several hours with the Vive (friend has one) it is a lot of fun to watch friends in short bursts. If they get more games like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes to combine that with multi-player gameplay there's potential there. If they ever tackle movement without getting sick then things will open up a lot for traditional games. Maybe it'll be like 3D motion sickness and most people will get used to it, maybe not, I dunno.

The applications/games I could see things being really nice for is anything involving placement/design in 3D. Playing Fantastic Contraption was probably the most "wow" experience, not for the gameplay, but for the ability to rapidly move and arrange stuff in 3D. Want to rotate it in 3-space? No problem. Make it bigger? Just stretch it. Compared to "hold down mouse button 3 and mouse left and right to adjust yaw" controls it's night and day. That works for anything with a 3D layout, and there's possibility for some really fun games there (think building and repairing a base in real time versus attacks, or games like Besiege) but right now everyone's fixated on stationary wave shooters. It'd make for amazing level design tools as well.

So there is some room for VR, but it might still end up in the realm of racing wheels - it makes some experiences awesome, but people will still design the games to be usable without it.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

stillvisions posted:

After several hours with the Vive (friend has one) it is a lot of fun to watch friends in short bursts. If they get more games like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes to combine that with multi-player gameplay there's potential there. If they ever tackle movement without getting sick then things will open up a lot for traditional games. Maybe it'll be like 3D motion sickness and most people will get used to it, maybe not, I dunno.

The applications/games I could see things being really nice for is anything involving placement/design in 3D. Playing Fantastic Contraption was probably the most "wow" experience, not for the gameplay, but for the ability to rapidly move and arrange stuff in 3D. Want to rotate it in 3-space? No problem. Make it bigger? Just stretch it. Compared to "hold down mouse button 3 and mouse left and right to adjust yaw" controls it's night and day. That works for anything with a 3D layout, and there's possibility for some really fun games there (think building and repairing a base in real time versus attacks, or games like Besiege) but right now everyone's fixated on stationary wave shooters. It'd make for amazing level design tools as well.

So there is some room for VR, but it might still end up in the realm of racing wheels - it makes some experiences awesome, but people will still design the games to be usable without it.

Did the people who got headaches and motion sickness from 3D acclimate to it or did they just stop going to 3D movies? Because if it's the latter that's not a good sign for VR either. Though yeah, I agree that there's definitely the potential for some interesting things that haven't been explored yet. I make a lot of missions in ArmA 3 for my friends and it would be real nice to have that ease of manipulation when placing down scenery and stuff since arranging something as simple as a flat runway in the Eden Editor is currently harder than mixing the cement and making one in real life.

Also, a big reason Flight Sticks and Racing Wheels got pushed into the dustbin is because few games supported them out of the box and they required endless calibration and tweaking to ever get to work. PC gaming controllers were usually viewed the same way until the Xbox 360 controller descended from the heavens to just work right out of the box. Hopefully VR starts to take that into account and these initial headsets that require users to have a giant empty spare room to use them will give way to something more sane.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

As much as it is easy to jump on pat Boone for taking black music and sanitizing it for white audiences, he's still an important part of American pop music history, because he is responsible for the songs reaching a wider audience, regardless of whether it was done from altruism (it wasnt) or profit motivated (it was).

The songs reached a wider audience but it did black musicians precious little benefit. The early whitewashing of rock & roll was never rolled back; it remains utterly white-dominated to this day, with only a handful of black artists achieving mainstream success.

So was it a positive thing culturally that rock music spread into the white mainstream? Yeah. But did it benefit the originators of the artform? Basically no. And that's pretty much the dictionary definition of cultural appropriation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DStecks posted:

The songs reached a wider audience but it did black musicians precious little benefit. The early whitewashing of rock & roll was never rolled back; it remains utterly white-dominated to this day, with only a handful of black artists achieving mainstream success.

So was it a positive thing culturally that rock music spread into the white mainstream? Yeah. But did it benefit the originators of the artform? Basically no. And that's pretty much the dictionary definition of cultural appropriation.

Oh definitely, I agree with you. You can't deny the impact Boone had, but it is still a huge shame that things happened the way they did.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh definitely, I agree with you. You can't deny the impact Boone had, but it is still a huge shame that things happened the way they did.

Well now that that's settled, why don't we enjoy a drink?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Can't believe how long I just watched Dstecks thrusting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DStecks posted:

So basically he's what people claim Elvis did in terms of "rear end in a top hat who steals black music to make a bunch of money"?

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 14, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

achillesforever6 posted:

So basically he's that people claim Elvis did in terms of "rear end in a top hat who steals black music to make a bunch of money"?

In that case it would be the people in charge of Elvis since he didn't write the music he played, he was the pretty boy figurehead who gave a face to the "new" genre.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Elvis is to Eminem as Pat Boone is to Vanilla Ice.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Holy poo poo! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z67IqrmygZY

Like...wasn't there a Frank Sinatra impersonator that did this kind of poo poo AS A JOKE!? How is this not a MAD TV skit?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

No More Mister Nice Guy is pretty clearly a non-serious novelty album.

I mean come on

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I finally saw the new Mr. plankit review a few weeks late, it felt dull, i skin though most of it. it just felt like they had to do this review due to fan presser. this is about as bad as when doug brought back the critic.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 14, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I Before E posted:

No More Mister Nice Guy is pretty clearly a non-serious novelty album.

I mean come on

I appreciate the humor and all, but you gotta admit that the music sucks hardcore.

I almost called it weaponized suck, but it's not even interesting enough to promote actual pain, it's just bad in a really beige way.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

re:View The Gate

I never saw the whole film, just bits of it. Makes me want to view the whole thing. The ending to the video is pretty great too.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

If we ever cross paths in the GTA, I'll make sure to give you some Carolina Reaper vodka I made. My recipe suggestion is the Chalet Inferno shot - a mix of said vodka and some Swiss Chalet sauce.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Saturday's video is a discussion on the Resident Evil film from 2002, its Romero origins and the wasted potential of its first twenty minutes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Maddox heavy into being ironical or something like that? I remember reading his stuff years ago and being mildly entertained by guy who hates everything, but I saw that he actually makes videos now. His latest one, he talks about journalistic integrity among corporate media and how they need to be right or else they lose their jobs, which makes them stand out from alternate news sites (which can be also lovely, but I think may be using strawman examples) who can report anything without any repercussions.. Has the guy watch or read a modern news site lately? It' is 95% propaganda these days, if they even bother to report on the things that matter.

Well, looking forward to going to war with Russia because they hacked Hillary's email on the cyber to help Trump win or whatever they gently caress they're saying to promote that narrative.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Here's a video from Mark Brown that talks about a good part of Bioshock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AffpO05p4V8

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I just binged SFDebris last three Escaflowne reviews and I have to say, out of all the anime he has or is reviewing, it's by far my favorite.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

e X posted:

I just binged SFDebris last three Escaflowne reviews and I have to say, out of all the anime he has or is reviewing, it's by far my favorite.

Escaflowne is really good. It's a weird chivalric fairy tale with giant robots.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

Escaflowne is really good. It's a weird chivalric fairy tale with giant robots.

As long as you don't watch the hilariously butchered Fox version.

They tried to recut it to appeal more to male teens and safe for saturday morning cartoons. The result is a glorious mess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think I might have caught one episode on YTV perhaps a decade ago? Was there an episode where a girl got eaten by a blob monster living at the bottom of a ravine?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

poparena posted:

Saturday's video is a discussion on the Resident Evil film from 2002, its Romero origins and the wasted potential of its first twenty minutes.

This was a good video. The movie could've been so good based on its initial promise but just got plain lazy. Happens to alot of video game adaptations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's that sound? An angel is getting its wings? That means another Best of the Worst is out!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jimbot posted:

What's that sound? An angel is getting its wings? That means another Best of the Worst is out!

That first movie :catstare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cubey posted:

That first movie :catstare:
Geteven seemed pretty goddamn amazing with how awful it was. I mean that guy clearly just had some spare money lying around that he used to make an action movie starring himself (and he looks like he's 70). I feel bad for that Playboy model who got paid to do sex scenes with him, dear lord...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Allison, I just watched your playthrough of the X-Files game with Phelan and holy poo poo does it bring back so many memories of 16-year-old me playing that loving game and yelling in frustration and wasting my Christmas vacation day after day refusing to give up. I had completely forgotten that game until this moment. I wish I knew about the AI in 1997. I totally did the lips thing too. That lips thing was totally on purpose.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In this episode of Deja View, Ed Glaser goes over the Egyptian remake of Rocky Horror.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

DeusExMachinima posted:

This was a good video. The movie could've been so good based on its initial promise but just got plain lazy. Happens to alot of video game adaptations.

I still maintain that the (unintentionally) best video game movie was Street Fighter. Isn't that right,Bison?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8scSkpkPPM
Mysterious Mr Enter is having a bad day.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yuck, I'm not really fond of the show Night Mind reviewed in his new thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5PI9qCMFo

I don't have a problem with the episode, but personally I feel like there's an element of "too soon" involved with the show he's reviewing. It just feels really gross to leverage the dehumanization, abuse, and suffering of 109 real people as recently as 6 years ago for your spooky internet horror story. Just the insinuation that one of the abused patients came back to the place and is stalking and torturing people feels very offensive to the real victims.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 19, 2016

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8scSkpkPPM
Mysterious Mr Enter is having a bad day.

When isn't he when he is spouting mra female rapists and unfair divorce court bullshit? His politics a poo poo and so is his level of nongrowth in being a person and a reviewer.

EDIT Night Mind: Yeah part of me felt a bit uncomfortable about an arg being recently connected to a place of systemic abuse to the mentally ill that was shut down less than five years ago. Like the videos themselves seem to be taking the 60's genre of horror where the mentally ill are depicted as unhinged demons in human skin. Even now that particular narrative seems to be a stubborn thread in horror as a whole.

To reiterate I agree with you that I don't think the review is bad at all or that it reflects badly on Nick, just that the actors in this arg should have had a bit more consideration in what they were doing. For all we know the entire reason they stopped was because they thought what they were doing wasn't very respectful to the victims of this institution.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 19, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Annointed posted:

When isn't he when he is spouting mra female rapists and unfair divorce court bullshit? His politics a poo poo and so is his level of nongrowth in being a person and a reviewer.

Er, I guess its a good thing after his umpteenth mic puff I stopped bothering and never got to that part of his videos.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

This week I'm doing a two-part discussion on the entire Saw series. Part One concerns the first three films, aka when the series made sense.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Annointed posted:

Except he didn’t say anything like that in the video? I watched the whole thing wondering what he had said that was being misinterpreted but nope, he doesn’t so much as mention divorce or female rapists even once.

That’s not to say it was a great video, though. I watch his stuff sometimes because he’s the only internet critic I know of that focuses on relatively-recent cartoons, but when he stops reviewing and starts ranting he gets very hard to listen to. Some other critics manage to sound angry in a funny or cathartic way, but Mr. Enter’s angry voice is just kind of uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bakeneko posted:

Except he didn’t say anything like that in the video? I watched the whole thing wondering what he had said that was being misinterpreted but nope, he doesn’t so much as mention divorce or female rapists even once.

That’s not to say it was a great video, though. I watch his stuff sometimes because he’s the only internet critic I know of that focuses on relatively-recent cartoons, but when he stops reviewing and starts ranting he gets very hard to listen to. Some other critics manage to sound angry in a funny or cathartic way, but Mr. Enter’s angry voice is just kind of uncomfortable.

Did I say he did say those things in this video?
Cause he tends to lean in that direction in the videos where he feels it "appropriate" to bring up. It was because of the stuff I listed that made me drop him like a bad habit, alongside the fact as a reviewer he didn't get better, he's still at the same level as when I saw him a year ago. Kyle, Lindsey, Todd, Bennett and Lupa all managed to evolve past the gimmicks and come into their own in reviewing, Enter not so much.

• Locked thread