Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Oh my god those baby greys are perfection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Precious cymbal bum :syoon:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
I wanted to make some stuff sacks, but it's much harder with Bonny trying to help.

1500 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 19, 2016

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Is bonny good at helping? Of course she is :3

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

SPOOKILY A BIRD posted:

A brief sampling of ways that Amadeus has fallen asleep in my hand (apologies for bare knee in 2 - 4)

So cute.

Also, what kind of keyboard is that?

i poop fire posted:

Photographic proof that greys aren't born plotting your demise.

And now I'm dead. Dead from the cuteness. Thanks.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

1500 posted:

I wanted to make some stuff sacks, but it's much harder with Bonny trying to help.

bonny is my favorite bird

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

subpar anachronism posted:

These are my life goals

Amen, three years and counting...! Yours just has to ride out his hormones and come back around again :v:

i poop fire posted:

How are they even real

1500 posted:

A good lapbird

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inglonias posted:

So cute.

Also, what kind of keyboard is that?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Washable-Keyboard-K310-Windows/dp/B008D1JRIO
I picked it up when it was 20 bucks or so and it's AWESOME.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

It simply did not occur to me that a washable keyboard might be a good idea for someone who wants to have a flying thing that can also poop. I typically stick with mechanical keyboards, but if I got a bird, I might have to change that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

All keyboards are washable.

whether they work afterwords though

Nov 3, 2015

Sekkira posted:

Is bonny good at helping? Of course she is :3

She is very good at helping.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Today, Cricket got to go to the vet's and get her first toenail trim. They were getting so long! She was not impressed lol I would do it myself, but tbh I don't have fantastic eyesight so I felt having them do it would be safer in the long run.

Anyway, they took her in the back to do the trim with the little dremel tool. They brought her back in to the room, and as soon as she saw me she tried to fly to me, while hollering at the top of her lungs "Hey baby!! Hey baby"...and snuggled on my shoulder under my hair next to my cheek. She then had her beak by my ear saying "Hey Baby" and "Love the birdie". The tech looked at me and said "Did she say love the birdie?"

I almost cried...she used that phrase in context :) I have not heard the "love the birdie" phrase before, either. I tell her everyday "Momma loves the birdie!!" so she must have picked it up, but we have not heard her say it out loud before.

She hadn't said a word the whole time we were there, and she did it when she saw me. Plus combining those two phrases just made my heart explode...it's amazing how much these little critters can make you get a case if the feels :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my goodness, that's so sweet :kimchi:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Disco Salmon posted:

I almost cried...she used that phrase in context :) I have not heard the "love the birdie" phrase before, either. I tell her everyday "Momma loves the birdie!!" so she must have picked it up, but we have not heard her say it out loud before.

I know that feeling :unsmith:

We housed Yoshi with a vet tech when we were on vacation (normally, my parents would have taken him, but he was on medication, and we knew from experience it was not easy to give it to him). We were really worried that the process of giving him the medicine was going to interfere with the bonding, but when we picked him up, he hopped right up and hid in the crook of my neck. He was right next to my ear, and I swear that he said "What's a matta?" which is what I say to him whenever he seems a little scared. I haven't heard him say it since, but I think it's because I've started saying "Watcha doin?" instead.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Shirec posted:

Chaosfeather! I missed this! I still would like to commission you if you have time :3:

Cool, let me know when you get this then! Screaming bird noises!

Also, "love the birdie" is my new favorite thing to imagine in a squeaky bird voice.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 20, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

1500 posted:

She is very good at helping.

the best bird :3

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

My vicious pubirdy monster turned back into a cuddle bug. Birbs.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/iHxIAex.mp4

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

That might just be peak cockatoo.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

So elegant

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

lmao it fell over

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

That 'too is awesome.

We moved to a new apartment unit last week. Birds are still re-adjusting. Nugget is a lot cuter after moves than Ozzy is
Nugget: Constantly flying over to the couch and climbing down onto my laptop/lap/next to my hands to get in the way until I pet her. Totally adorable and petting her is so cathartic :3:
Ozzy: Scream/whine/complain constantly unless being held. No apparently just sitting on me/leaning on neck is not good enough. :sigh: He does this every time we move for a couple weeks, but it makes me feel so bad. I wish there was a way to make these transitions easier. Hopefully we won't have to move again in a year when this lease is up. He does seem to be slightly less panicky than last time we moved, so I guess that's good.

Nugget just seems to take changes in stride much better than Ozzy in general, I guess if her chillness hasn't worn off on him over the past 7+ years it probably never will..

Edit: Now that I bitched about him online, he is being calm and quietly preening himself. Good boy Ozzy!!!!!!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Chaosfeather posted:

Cool, let me know when you get this then! Khardash at hotmail

Also, "love the birdie" is my new favorite thing to imagine in a squeaky bird voice.

Sent you one! Hopefully you got it. My birds always sound more screechy than squeaky when they talk. Or grumbly? The squeaky noise they make is sometimes Kiwi makes the exact noise that a dog toy makes and it's pretty much the cutest.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Shirec posted:

The squeaky noise they make is sometimes Kiwi makes the exact noise that a dog toy makes and it's pretty much the cutest.

Mochi does this too. I thought it was from living next to the dog toy aisle but I guess it's just a conure sound. it's so adorable.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Archer sounds super squeaky when trying to talk. Charlie sounds like a malfunctioning robot.

Also, the vet did the necropsy on Ellie. She had incredibly severe gout. The vet said there really wasn't anything I could've done for her. I'm still missing her but I feel a little bit better about the whole thing now.

Nov 3, 2015

Shirec posted:

Sent you one! Hopefully you got it. My birds always sound more screechy than squeaky when they talk. Or grumbly? The squeaky noise they make is sometimes Kiwi makes the exact noise that a dog toy makes and it's pretty much the cutest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ1nAR86Vd8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

This gets funnier every time I see it :allears:.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Trusted Inko a little bit too much and got bitten for the first time in ages, right on the end of a index finger. Now there's two blood blisters where the bastard clamped down and grinded on my flesh :sigh:

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

i poop fire posted:

This grey is dangerously close to giving the camera heartwings. I can't take it. :3:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bird.exe has stopped working

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Fucks sake, I posted it and even now it caught me just totally unawares when it popped up in this thread, I can't stop laughing.

The fall at the end, every fuckin' time.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

Trusted Inko a little bit too much and got bitten for the first time in ages, right on the end of a index finger. Now there's two blood blisters where the bastard clamped down and grinded on my flesh :sigh:

pay the blood price

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Weird question about bird rescues.

So I really would love a dusky headed conure, but both the rescues within driving range of me have a policy where they don't adopt out specific species - they go by your application and home environment and choose a bird they think fits you. Is that typical of rescues? I mean I'm fine with most conures and some other birds but it feels weird to have a stranger pick for me after 6~ years of research and petsitting my friends' birds.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Tofu Terry posted:

So I really would love a dusky headed conure, but both the rescues within driving range of me have a policy where they don't adopt out specific species - they go by your application and home environment and choose a bird they think fits you. Is that typical of rescues? I mean I'm fine with most conures and some other birds but it feels weird to have a stranger pick for me after 6~ years of research and petsitting my friends' birds.

Uhhh... I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe it's to prevent people being stubborn and trying to adopt a macaw? I would try to talk to them about it, at least.

Nov 3, 2015

Tofu Terry posted:

Its possible its more about size, care requirements, and past experience then about specific species. So after reviewing your information they might say a conure size is appropriate. There are a number of recuse that will not let you adopt unless they have been to your house multiple times, and you have gone to their classes on bird care. I would ask more questions and go through the process, might as well find out what they say.

Having said that, ya that is odd. I mean its just as impotent for the adapter to get a pet they were looking for as anything else. This is doubly true when picking a pet for 20+ years.

1500 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 21, 2016

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that's probably got something to do with it. There's also a mandatory 2 home visits and bird care class but I don't mind doing those, I just really want a dusky haha.

There's also an aviary near here but I've never been to one and I'm not sure how they work, but I'm planning on making a trip next month. There was one huge flight cage I saw that was heated and had a ringneck, sun conure, and a couple of other birds I couldn't make out. :3:

E: Also yep! Gonna send them a few questions later today. The one that's closer currently isn't accepting applications (in the process of renovating afaik) but I can still ask em questions.

Nov 3, 2015

Tofu Terry posted:

Yeah, that's probably got something to do with it. There's also a mandatory 2 home visits and bird care class but I don't mind doing those, I just really want a dusky haha.

There's also an aviary near here but I've never been to one and I'm not sure how they work, but I'm planning on making a trip next month. There was one huge flight cage I saw that was heated and had a ringneck, sun conure, and a couple of other birds I couldn't make out. :3:

E: Also yep! Gonna send them a few questions later today. The one that's closer currently isn't accepting applications (in the process of renovating afaik) but I can still ask em questions.

Its also possible its to stop bird breeders from showing up and just getting birds they want to breed.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

The one that I went to was like that for inspections and classes. Ugh, I still want to adopt a Grey.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhhh yeah that makes sense. There's a decent amount of lovely "rehoming" (breeding + selling) on craigslist around this area for birds so I wouldn't be surprised.

I mean just the cages in this ad :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Two local adverts - one for a group of birds, in an okay sized cage, none tame. Three lovebirds and two GCCs. They all appeared to have the correct number of toes. Imagine sticking your hand into that :stare:

Second was for a Alexandrine, that they'd had a few months, and is under a year old. Remembering that this place is generally a shithole when it comes to animal care (esp exotics),-despite that bad start, the guy had bought it a massive corner cage with playtop, set up toys for it inside and out, showed it outside playing, and had written a massive long description about how parrots are not impulse buys and all this actually correct information about their care and standards you need to meet.... just, he'd gone to all this trouble to actually provide decent care for it, and spent all that money, but didn't realise that you have to actually spend time with them now and then?

The contract was formed; the pact sealed