Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

I don't understand why Toyota are so reluctant about battery electrics when they've been spearheading hybrids for so long.

They were early adopters, actually.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV#First_generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's the lack of any effort beyond the now out of production, US-only RAV4 I term as reluctance. Instead, Toyota are going on about hydrogen vehicles which make less and less sense the more range battery EVs get.

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 19, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The hydrogen fuel cell is a technological trap pushed to kill BEVs, and Toyota of all people should know this.

†Corporations are people, my friend.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

That was just a California mandate. Ford and GM also made electric Rangers and S-10s around that time.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

It's the lack of any effort beyond the now out of production, US-only RAV4 I term as reluctance. Instead, Toyota are going on about hydrogen vehicles which make less and less sense the more range battery EVs get.

Plus a typical automotive fuel cell system has way more stuff to potentially go wrong than a typical battery pack - not a good thing when one of your major selling points is a reputation for reliability.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ola posted:

I don't understand why Toyota are so reluctant about battery electrics when they've been spearheading hybrids for so long.

It's almost as if the biggest and most successful carmaker in the world knows something...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

It's almost as if the biggest and most successful carmaker in the world knows something...

Maybe they know something that Tesla, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Peugeot, Renault, Citroën and GM doesn't. And maybe battery electrics aren't ideal for Japanese infrastructure. Or maybe Toyota are betting on the wrong horse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Throatwarbler posted:

Wasn't GM the biggest and most successful carmaker at one point?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

someone in the early 1970s posted:

It's almost as if the biggest and most successful carmakers in the world know something that the Japanese carmakers don't....

edit: beaten

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

Maybe they know something that Tesla, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Peugeot, Renault, Citroën and GM doesn't. And maybe battery electrics aren't ideal for Japanese infrastructure. Or maybe Toyota are betting on the wrong horse.

As I recall, they've been sticking with nickel-metal-hydride batteries in the non-plug-in Prius because when the 2016 Prius was being designed, lithium ion was still relatively unproven in automotive applications (they didn't want to risk their reputation for reliability to lose a relatively small amount of weight). Except that at this point, lithium ion batteries are much closer to proven technology than fuel cells. Plus a Model S with a 100kWh pack has at least as much range as any hydrogen-powered car ever built.

Subjunctive posted:

Wasn't GM the biggest and most successful carmaker at one point?

You mean back before Americans started giving a crap about fuel economy?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cockmaster posted:

As I recall, they've been sticking with nickel-metal-hydride batteries in the non-plug-in Prius because when the 2016 Prius was being designed, lithium ion was still relatively unproven in automotive applications (they didn't want to risk their reputation for reliability to lose a relatively small amount of weight). Except that at this point, lithium ion batteries are much closer to proven technology than fuel cells. Plus a Model S with a 100kWh pack has at least as much range as any hydrogen-powered car ever built.

You mean back before Americans started giving a crap about fuel economy?

I just want to preserve this post.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ola posted:

By that standard Toyota (and Honda) makes battery electric EVs too, to satisfy Californian and other jurisdictions ridiculous politically motivated requirements that they do.

Or I guess maybe there really is some kind of game changing passenger car/motive technology that only GM and VW are aware of and Toyota isn't. There sure is a lot of precedent for that happening.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

EgonSpengler posted:

The hybrid cycle doesn't really degrade as the battery ages. Old prius's (priora?) are one of the most reliable vehicles on the road, since the electric motor and regenerative braking takes so much strain off the brake pads, plus electric motors are relatively maintenances free.

The batteries do age and degrade, but most of the savings of a hybrid is in the electric motor providing the start/stop motion of the car, and even a diminished battery is still able to provide that. In contrast a pure EV loses outright range as the battery ages, which is much more of a loss to the owner. It's one thing when a 300 mile tesla loses 10% of it's capacity, its a whole other when a 40-mile Leaf does.
I read a study of Prius taxi cabs in NYC over a 10 year period. Going from memory here but battery wear as a function of mpg was very minor, like 1mpg loss after 10 years of hard use.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The problem Toyota has is the margins (if you actually count overhead) are small to non existent on EV. A fuel cell though can be profitable especially if you are the only manufacture building them. Retrofitting gas stations with hydrogen pumps is not as bad as it seems especially since the tanks need to be periodically replaced anyway. This is a long term strategy. If it doesn't work you redesign the car to handle the extra weight and put a battery in it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
The Tesla product unveiling scheduled for the 17th was pushed back to today, 5PM Pacific time:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/788794291900469248

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I hope it's the Model Y or whatever the next car in the lineup is called.

I think it's something boring with solar panels and domestic batteries.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
So I guess there's no livestream according to random twitter Internet person who heard it from Reddit. Why even publically announce it then if it's an exclusive presentation? :sigh:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-tesla-cars-being-produced-now-have-full-self-driving-hardware

So its kind of a lame roll out. I'm glad I have autopilot 1.0 right now and we will just consider trading in next year or when ever full autonomous features become available.

eames
May 9, 2009

Reddit seems to have the announcement up. Autopilot 2.0 hardware in every new Tesla produced from today, allegedly allowing full autonomous driving when the software is ready for it. There will be a regression in functionality compared to the current Autopilot until the system is fully trained.

https://m.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/58dprx/tesla_announces_full_autonomy_hardware_ap_20_on/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gently caress me.

I what trade-in I can get.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's garbage. The "ship it broken, patch it in production" of the automotive world.

The only way to verify that the hardware supports "full autonomous driving" is to build the autonomous driving software and deploy it on the hardware package and test the whole system. And I mean like evaluate it in the real world for millions of miles, not on a Tesla test track. Until you've done that, there is zero reason to believe that the cars' hardware package will be suitable for level-4 autonomy or whatever they're claiming a few years down the line. Maybe they've put in enough hardware! Or maybe they will discover in two years "whoops, this new computer is 40 times more powerful, but we really needed something 400 times more powerful."

Either (1) they have fully functional, fully autonomous, tested and fully validated cars that they just aren't releasing yet for some reason, or (2) they aren't even close to full autonomy but Elon needed something to announce so the engineers shrugged and said "sure, I guess we've put in enough cameras to support it, we'll solve the rest in software."

Which one is more likely?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sagebrush posted:

Either (1) they have fully functional, fully autonomous, tested and fully validated cars that they just aren't releasing yet for some reason, or (2) they aren't even close to full autonomy but Elon needed something to announce so the engineers shrugged and said "sure, I guess we've put in enough cameras to support it, we'll solve the rest in software."

Which one is more likely?

Option 2 - 100%. It's the same bullshit that went down with 8.0 being a firey trashheap

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

From a sensor-input point of view we know conclusively that driving can be done with a pair of stereo cameras a few inches apart and the ability to rotate about 100 degrees in each direction, so I'm not worried about "well, we think we have enough cameras" at least.

eames
May 9, 2009

Maybe I am too pessimistic but my initial impression is that they know they are in trouble with the Autopilot (see accidents, Mobileye no longer partnering, Germany wagging their finger over the name of the tech, etc.) and this announcement allows them to turn off all AP technology in new cars while saving face.

Either that or the conventional automotive industry is ruined, heh.

eames fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 20, 2016

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Apparently they already have some software for it?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/788902908175618049

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is a pretty bold piece of the license.

Anyone know of any other similar clause in a car manufacturer's license?

eames
May 9, 2009

Details from the official Tesla site:

Tesla posted:

From the design studio. (same for both Model S and Model X)

Enhanced Autopilot

Enhanced Autopilot adds new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. The enhancements include going from one to four cameras for greater accuracy, redundancy, and to see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes. In addition, 12 ultrasonic sonar sensors provide 360 degree coverage around your car with almost twice the range and resolution of the prior version. The significantly increased sensor information is processed by a computer that is over 40 times more powerful than before. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, Keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, sen-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage. That said, Enhanced Autopilot should still be considered a driver's assistance feature with the driver responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times. Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval.
$5,000 ($6,000 upgrade after delivery)

Full Self-Driving Capability

This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle. All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don't say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you. Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. It is not possible to Know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval. Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.
$3,000 ($4,000 after delivery)

Requires Enhanced Autopilot

Also interesting:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/19/13341194/tesla-autopilot-shadow-mode-autonomous-regulations

Basically Autopilot 2.0 will run in the background ("Shadowmode") and log what it would do but not take action. When fatal accidents happen Tesla will be able to use these logs to show that this accident could have been avoided with their fully autonomous solution.

eames fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 20, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eames posted:

Basically Autopilot 2.0 will run in the background ("Shadowmode") and log what it would do but not take action. When fatal accidents happen Tesla will be able to use these logs to show that this accident could have been avoided with their fully autonomous solution.

Autopilot 1.0 runs like this already. It's always recording driving data, even on cars that have the autopilot hardware but not the software. That's where they get their lane position graphs for driver vs autopilot, and they talk about it in the 8.0 release notes for better emergency braking data.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

This is a pretty bold piece of the license.

Anyone know of any other similar clause in a car manufacturer's license?

Disruptive™

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Then again, perhaps Toyota does know what it's doing?

http://m.phys.org/news/2016-10-green-hydrogen-production-algal-proteins.html

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't see their name mentioned there, nor can I remember Toyota being involved with any innovative hydrogen production project. They're not even committing themselves to any major infrastructure project, instead they've published the standards to their fill port and just hope others will build the stations. If I turn out to be wrong in being skeptical about Toyota's hydrogen vision, I will welcome the surprise.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It seems like Tesla is pretty far along with the software to match the hardware: https://www.tesla.com/videos/full-self-driving-hardware-all-tesla-cars

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Making business decisions contingent on technological breakthroughs that have not yet been made is generally a bad move.

To be clear, the problem is not that they are pursuing fuel cells; it is that they are pursuing them to the exclusion of battery electric vehicles.

Toyota could have owned the BEV market the same as they owned the hybrid market.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 20, 2016

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sagebrush posted:

That's garbage. The "ship it broken, patch it in production" of the automotive world.

Exactly what I've been saying. It needs to be type approved, certified, and regulated. Tesla is intentionally shipping beta software to the public that could/will kill people. If it only endangered the Tesla driver I wouldn't really care, but that's simply not the case.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I don't see their name mentioned there, nor can I remember Toyota being involved with any innovative hydrogen production project. They're not even committing themselves to any major infrastructure project, instead they've published the standards to their fill port and just hope others will build the stations. If I turn out to be wrong in being skeptical about Toyota's hydrogen vision, I will welcome the surprise.

No, they aren't mentioned, though if they're developing fuel cells at the expense of jumping on the battery bandwagon and relying on hybrids as a stop-gap, it stands to reason that they would likely fund this kind of research, or at the very least follow it very closely. I'm not suggesting the article represents a Toyota R&D project, more that the viability of hydrogen fuel production implied by this kind of research suggests that Toyota might not be completely daft by pursuing the technology.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

blugu64 posted:

Exactly what I've been saying. It needs to be type approved, certified, and regulated. Tesla is intentionally shipping beta software to the public that could/will kill people. If it only endangered the Tesla driver I wouldn't really care, but that's simply not the case.

People die in light aircraft accidents all the time (loss of control, particularly approach stalls,) that could be prevented by simple add-on avionics (AOA indicator) that are not permissible to be installed in certified aircraft because they are not "approved, certified, and regulated."

Government needs to participate in this process, but not come down on it like a ton of bricks. As always, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

It seems like Tesla is pretty far along with the software to match the hardware: https://www.tesla.com/videos/full-self-driving-hardware-all-tesla-cars

It was claimed that the big reveal would be "unexpected by most". I doubt anyone would have expected them to be this far along, what with Tesla not having shown off any details of their R&D into non-highway autonomy until now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrYenko posted:

People die in light aircraft accidents all the time (loss of control, particularly approach stalls,) that could be prevented by simple add-on avionics (AOA indicator) that are not permissible to be installed in certified aircraft because they are not "approved, certified, and regulated."

Government needs to participate in this process, but not come down on it like a ton of bricks. As always, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

We also continue to give a driver's license to 16 year old kids with minimal (required) training, and geriatrics with minimal (if any) retesting. The bar for Autopilot to be safer than at least some human drivers is very low.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think tying a rope to the steering wheel and putting a brick on the gas pedal is better then half of AI posters driving skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

blugu64 posted:

New laws and regulation will most likely be needed before autonomous mode can be allowed to turn on. But that is no reason to not install the hardware. As eames and Subjunctive mentioned, it's basically necessary to test the system and gather data before we can make a decision about needed laws and regulation.

Installing and announcing the hardware even if it can't be used currently is not a problem. The biggest risk is that Tesla is opening themselves to a class action lawsuit if it turns out the hardware isn't adequate and can't be upgraded for free.

• Locked thread