Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is there only actually one strain? so if he gets it once, we don't have to worry about it happening again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

sheri posted:

Does she need to wear underwear? My kid goes commando under his pants and shorts a lot.

We skipped pull-ups and the like entirely, so we figured underwear would be easiest to help introduce the concept of pulling down and back up when using potty. Trying to go commando in pants/shorts just yields a naked kid because she will take them off entirely almost immediately. We did attempt dresses without bottoms but she won't move them out of the line of fire and just pees on them.

On the upside, yesterday's underwear showdown has yielded progress. She would willingly pull them down and back up but if she had an accident, putting on a new pair became a new fight.

This is definitely not the problem I expected to have when potty training.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

There are multiple strains of HFM so if he gets it he'll only be immune to one. But I would still send him to daycare. If you stop sending him every time an annoying childhood illness comes through you'll never send him at all!

ETA: my best friend's kid got HFM at daycare a few months ago. He was home for a week until all the sores went away. She really didn't want to get it, so she put on latex gloves for the diaper changes. It might have been overkill but none of the adults got it.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Is there only actually one strain? so if he gets it once, we don't have to worry about it happening again?

Yes, what Baja said. There are multiple strains, but here in Norway the disease is almost always caused by the same strain (A16), which means that most adults are immunized.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My kids have been going to preschool and Kindergarten for a few months now with no health issues. But one trip to Ikea and I think my little girl now has HFM, or some other virus that has knocked her down for the day. Thanks Sweden. :sweden:

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

Sockmuppet posted:

^^^ Momtartin, I've also got a tiny kid that doesn't really eat much. Definitely talk to your pediatrician to ease your worries, but if she's developing like she should and is otherwise healthy, she's probably doing just fine. My 3 year old finally reached 13 kilos! (28 pounds to you yanks) But she's fit as a fiddle and not skinny at all, just - tiny :) We focus on making sure she eats varied and healthy food, and she'll occasionally have days where she's apparently bottomless, and goes through in two days what she normally eats in a week, so I try to remember those days when she eats two mouthfuls of salmon and a tiny fistful of broccoli and declares herself full.

I actually talked to her teachers who said they didn't have any issues with her eating, and they said try not letting her have the milk first, use it as a reward (this kid drinks it like it's water). I did that and holy poo poo it's like a different kid. She ate all her dinner PLUS more last night, and her entire banana for breakfast this morning. Hell even when i had to get Chick-Fil-A for dinner, she ate 3 of her nuggets instead of just 3/4 of one.

I'm gonna keep on this, but I feel hopeful if this continues. Now to just get her to branch out of being picky (which I've been guilty of as well).

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

momtartin posted:

I'm gonna keep on this, but I feel hopeful if this continues. Now to just get her to branch out of being picky (which I've been guilty of as well).

One of the things that often encourages my daughter to want food is if she sees me or my wife eating it and she doesn't have any. She'll often have a mouthful of anything if she has to take it off mama's plate.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Since we're on the eating subject, my son's going to be 8 months in a few days. Right now, he's getting rice cereal, formula every day and fruit\veggies twice a week. Should we be moving to the stuff with little bits in it by now?

If it matters, he's got 2 bottom teeth and we're pretty sure he's getting 1 or 2 on the top soon.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our daughter is almost a year now, but has been doing small chunks of food since 7 months because she really didn't like purees. She didn't get her 2 bottom teeth until last month (still doesn't have any others). Teeth don't matter as long as the chunks are small enough to swallow. It's more about getting them used to the concept of chewing than anything else, and gums are pretty hard by themselves.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yeah, at 6+ months they can chew more stuff than you'd think even with no teeth. For example, slices of bread with crusts and all.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Our six month old is quite capable of chewing meat and cheese and sticks of carrot that I've cooked enough to make them similar to hard cheese. We watch her like a hawk of course while she's eating. She mostly experiments with food, but meat and cheese she actually eats with gusto and protests if you try to take off her.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

Since we're on the eating subject, my son's going to be 8 months in a few days. Right now, he's getting rice cereal, formula every day and fruit\veggies twice a week. Should we be moving to the stuff with little bits in it by now?

If it matters, he's got 2 bottom teeth and we're pretty sure he's getting 1 or 2 on the top soon.

I think you can do fruits/veggies/protein more often, like 2-3 times a day. In addition to breastmilk, my 8 month old eats 3 meals a day - toaster waffles, eggs, cheese, yogurt, bread, and all sorts of fruits and veggies (favorites are avocados, bananas, sweet potato, zucchini, peaches). I also give him shredded chicken and pork but he isn't too into meats yet. He also only has 2 bottom teeth and sometimes he'll mostly play with the food instead of eating it, but I think it's good to give them the opportunity to practice eating. We do baby led weaning mostly so I give him french fry shaped pieces of food and he chews it. If you've only done purees you can start with the softer veggies - steamed or roasted sweet potato and zucchini work great.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
We did the baby led weaning thing from 6 month and we loved it. He never ate purees and we will most definitely do the same thing with the next baby. Just make sure the food isn't too hard (he'll spit it out anyway) round or that it can't make a "paste" (fresh bread isn't recommended, toasted bread is perfectly fine). It was amazing to see him learn to pick food himself and everything. I think he ate some lamb roast in his first week of eating. You should try to make "sticks" with the food so he can easily grab it and slowly try to chew stuff off of it. Fresh cucumber is a great way to start (and good for the teeth)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

With our first kid, we were all about homemade purees, steamed carrots and stuff in our own little machines. We did half and half feeding him ourselves and letting him use his own spoon. We didn't do really solid stuff until around 10 months. He was breastfed until 13 months.

With our second kid, we were all about letting her feed herself for the most part with utensils but we did help her. Cut up peaches, berries, smooshie peas, ground beef, cut up pasta, etc. From 6-8 months on. She was breastfed for 4 months, we supplemented for 1 month, then went full formula at 5 months.

With our third, I doubt we ever put a spoon in his mouth. We left a baby spoon on his tray and let him figure it out on his own. He refused us feeding him, I think because everyone else had utensils. He was bottle-fed from birth (we foster/adopted him).

All are happy, healthy kids with diverse appetites and tastes. The youngest is most reliable with utensils, the older ones are savages who like to eat with their hands.

By the way, I took the youngest (the one with the water addiction) to the pediatrician today for his flu shot, I mentioned the water and that we had been cutting back over the past few days and hadn't seen a change in his eating/sleeping/playing habits. She said it was likely a combination of being active & thirsty and also being a comfort for him, and advised against worrying about diabetes or anything else unless his activity level or overall health changed.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Hah, yeah, second and subsequent kids tend to go through certain things a bit quicker than #1... with our first we did a gradual baby-led weaning thing starting at 7 months and a bit (entirely breastfed until then), we'd puree things for him, introduce one new type of food at a time, and so on. #2 and #3 were both unleashed at 6 months on the dot and were all like "I want some of what he's having, and some of that, and gimme some of that stuff too... FOOD GOES IN HERE DAMMIT"

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Twin parents: how do you do a diaper change in public if you are by yourself? Lots of small restrooms in NYC and I only have one set of hands. If I can't fit the stroller in the bathroom how do I get them both in there and change one or both?

Might be able to put both in a single bassinet and detach from the stroller (for now while they are tiny.) how do other parents do this?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

E-Money posted:

Twin parents: how do you do a diaper change in public if you are by yourself? Lots of small restrooms in NYC and I only have one set of hands. If I can't fit the stroller in the bathroom how do I get them both in there and change one or both?

Might be able to put both in a single bassinet and detach from the stroller (for now while they are tiny.) how do other parents do this?

Do you babywear? I had two little ones close in age and both in diapers, I wore the smaller one while changing the first, then put the oldest one down while I unstrapped the little one and changed him, then put him back in his carrier. I'd then pick up the second one and carry both out.

I guess for gross little bathrooms you can carry a toilet towel used just for the floors of public bathrooms to put your baby on while you change the other. I guess you're also dealing with no changing tables, so I always carried a portable changing pad I could clean off with a wipe.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

VorpalBunny posted:

Do you babywear? I had two little ones close in age and both in diapers, I wore the smaller one while changing the first, then put the oldest one down while I unstrapped the little one and changed him, then put him back in his carrier. I'd then pick up the second one and carry both out.

I guess for gross little bathrooms you can carry a toilet towel used just for the floors of public bathrooms to put your baby on while you change the other. I guess you're also dealing with no changing tables, so I always carried a portable changing pad I could clean off with a wipe.

I plan on it but the babies are still under 7lbs right now (13 days old) and our baby k'tan says that's the minimum weight. Am having some fit issues when i tried it - couldn't keep a baby's head up at my chest, he would keep sliding down too far. Not sure if they are too small, my k'tan is too big (i got a medium) or if there's something wrong with my technique. Need to figure that out too.

I've got a changing pad with my diaper bag but it's only big enough for the baby being changed at the time. Went out alone for the first time today to give mom a break and was lucky enough to hang out in a spot with a large family restroom with a changing station that i could fit the stroller in, but I can see this being an issue in the future. I think wear one/change one is probably the best plan in the long run. Need to get my k'tan sorted next!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

E-Money posted:

Need to get my k'tan sorted next!

Ah, newborns. I am so glad you are opting to take them out in the world so young! I know a ton of people who nested or whatever with their babies and refused to even leave the house or let people hold their kids until they were much older. We were the opposite, the night I was released from the hospital with my second kid we did a pizza dinner with everyone who couldn't make it to the hospital. Each kid had a 0th birthday party shortly after they were born, and we handed them over to anyone willing to hold them.

We used a seven sling (http://www.sevenslings.com/) with all our kids, it's essentially a little pouch that doesn't have straps and uses gravity and tension to keep everything in place. It worked so well for us, I hated to give it up when my youngest grew too big. They also have nursing covers, and I got both free with a random code. You can google it, there are always new codes for free stuff from that company.

Good luck, and kudos to you for sorting this stuff out! I'm a huge believer in getting kids out in the world, I traveled a ton with my kids this year on airplanes and in foreign countries all so they would get used to new sights, sounds, accents, customs, and to learn how to deal with being out of their element and being uncomfortable.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

E-Money posted:

Honestly, if the restroom is too small then just find a quiet out of the way place to change the kiddo. Put your changing mat down and just get it done. People can deal. No sense in making your life harder. You've got 2 little ones to care for! I've changed my kiddo in the bassinet of the stroller when I used one and often change him in the car on one of the fold down seats. Now I mostly use a wagon and I've changed him in that. I've also changed him on the floor of store out of the way if there's no other option. As long as you're not changing them right where people are eating and you're making a modicum of effort to do it away from people, then you're fine. You're using a changing pad so you're not contaminating the area. Also, find out what places always have a changing station or at least a handicap bathroom (big enough for the stroller) and make friends. In my town the yummy burrito place's bathroom is too tiny to change the kiddo so I always slip into the theatre or coffee shop nearby if I need to change him and use their bathroom. I volunteer at the theatre and frequent the coffee shop so they are happy to let me use their bathrooms.

I used to watch my neighbor's daughter who is the same age as my son and I always just kept one in the single stroller and wore the other. The one not being changed always sat in the stroller (or was worn if I was desperate and had to do a stroller change). I followed the same as above whether I had just one or both with me.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Thanks for the tips! I must confess that my leaving the house with the boys is less about some philosophy and more about how we live in a one bedroom and my mother in law is staying with us to help and I want to avoid a murder/suicide.

I actually get kinda nervous being out with them so young. They only have their hep B vaccines at this age. With NYC having so many people not vaccinating or doing it on different schedules, it's pretty loving terrifying. Baby B spent a few days in the NICU and I have no desire to go back there. Pediatrician said that if they get a fever this young it's pretty much a guaranteed trip to the hospital and a lumbar puncture.

It's been tough to balance the need to get out with my concern for them so small. I get that this is what parenting is and you can't let fear rule you, but I feel like I would feel a lot better once they had more shots.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

E-Money posted:

I plan on it but the babies are still under 7lbs right now (13 days old) and our baby k'tan says that's the minimum weight. Am having some fit issues when i tried it - couldn't keep a baby's head up at my chest, he would keep sliding down too far. Not sure if they are too small, my k'tan is too big (i got a medium) or if there's something wrong with my technique. Need to figure that out too.

I've got a changing pad with my diaper bag but it's only big enough for the baby being changed at the time. Went out alone for the first time today to give mom a break and was lucky enough to hang out in a spot with a large family restroom with a changing station that i could fit the stroller in, but I can see this being an issue in the future. I think wear one/change one is probably the best plan in the long run. Need to get my k'tan sorted next!

My wife was able to get my daughter (around same size) to fit into the ktan completely reliably within a couple of days of practice. She's 5'4 and used a small or a medium, I don't remember. It worked extremely well until she got too big for it.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I took my baby out in NYC all the time before he started getting shots. I avoided overly crowded areas (like the subway during rush hour) and didn't let random people touch him. Our ped also encouraged us to go outside and get fresh air. We went to parks, restaurants, Target, etc and it was winter (flu season). Going outside is good for babies, and so necessary for your sanity.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Hi_Bears posted:

I took my baby out in NYC all the time before he started getting shots. I avoided overly crowded areas (like the subway during rush hour) and didn't let random people touch him. Our ped also encouraged us to go outside and get fresh air. We went to parks, restaurants, Target, etc and it was winter (flu season). Going outside is good for babies, and so necessary for your sanity.

Thanks, needed to hear someone say that even though I knew it was true.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Thirding going outside is necessary for your sanity. I hobbled around our reservoir (about 700m circuit) with 5 day old stitches and the world's largest lochia pad jammed in my daggiest pants and looked like a hot mess to anyone else in the park but I gave no fucks. I had my baby wrapped on my chest and my stitches hurt like hell and that first walk took about half an hour but it was glorious. The days I couldn't go outside I would literally cry for the first few weeks. Baby and we have been outside rain hail or shine nearly every day since she's been born.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
I liked my rooming-in, but it wasn't on purpose since I was so injured from delivery that I couldn't make it down the stairs without sobbing from pain for the first month. Even if that doesn't happen again I might consider a (shorter) rooming-in which helped establish breastfeeding and gave me some much needed rest.

Question- do you have to start solids with that baby oat cereal or can I just make some regular oatmeal to start? I tried the baby stuff myself and it tasted like cardboard, which I don't think is going to make my daughter like solid food. Also it was so much more expensive then regular bulk oats for a full box (I just got a sample pouch).

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Giving kids cereal is not advisable, it teaches unhealthy eating and is empty calories.

Oatmeal or soft foods work well. Bananas (not pureed), cooked sweet potatoes, Applesauce. Remember they aren't trying it for eating as sustenance its just playing at first.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Honestly, if the restroom is too small then just find a quiet out of the way place to change the kiddo. Put your changing mat down and just get it done. People can deal. No sense in making your life harder. You've got 2 little ones to care for! I've changed my kiddo in the bassinet of the stroller when I used one and often change him in the car on one of the fold down seats. Now I mostly use a wagon and I've changed him in that. I've also changed him on the floor of store out of the way if there's no other option. As long as you're not changing them right where people are eating and you're making a modicum of effort to do it away from people, then you're fine. You're using a changing pad so you're not contaminating the area. Also, find out what places always have a changing station or at least a handicap bathroom (big enough for the stroller) and make friends. In my town the yummy burrito place's bathroom is too tiny to change the kiddo so I always slip into the theatre or coffee shop nearby if I need to change him and use their bathroom. I volunteer at the theatre and frequent the coffee shop so they are happy to let me use their bathrooms.

I used to watch my neighbor's daughter who is the same age as my son and I always just kept one in the single stroller and wore the other. The one not being changed always sat in the stroller (or was worn if I was desperate and had to do a stroller change). I followed the same as above whether I had just one or both with me.

We only have 1, but we've changed him litteraly everywhere. The easiest thing is to recline the stroller seat. When that wasn't possile we've changed them on tables in fast food restaurants a few time (only because there was no other way and it was an emergency and we cleaned the table afterward), straight on the ground in a corner, in the carseat, on the side walk while we were backpacking in europe and our airbnb contact was quite late, on a trash can that the staff of a restaurant turned over to give us a makeshift changing table. I'm sure it's quite harder when you have two, but don't worry too much. Just do what feels good for you

Eponymous Bosch posted:

Question- do you have to start solids with that baby oat cereal or can I just make some regular oatmeal to start? I tried the baby stuff myself and it tasted like cardboard, which I don't think is going to make my daughter like solid food. Also it was so much more expensive then regular bulk oats for a full box (I just got a sample pouch).

Oatmeal can work, but baby oatmeal has a bunch of added vitamins and minerals in it. Iron in particular is often lacking in babies diet so baby oatmeal really helps since you're supposed to give a lot of iron rich food to your baby. Real solid foods aren't going to be a huge part of your baby caloric intake for quite a few months so don't worry too much. Just make sure he gets the chance to play with different textures and tastes.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Giving kids cereal is not advisable, it teaches unhealthy eating and is empty calories.

Oatmeal or soft foods work well. Bananas (not pureed), cooked sweet potatoes, Applesauce. Remember they aren't trying it for eating as sustenance its just playing at first.

While I wouldn't give a meal made from them. "nutri'o's" or any other non sweatened cereal (they litteraly taste like cardboard) are a life saver in our family. When we put him in his high chair and we're a little late and he's Hangry we sprinkle a few on his table and it gives us 5-10 extra minutes to finish preparing dinner. Unsalted soup-croutons (I don't know what they are called) also work well.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 21, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We started mine with fruit because he really wanted some oranges. After that it was basically whatever whenever so if we screwed it up oh well.

Also he is quite sick with the HFM, so I get to miss at least three days of work. Sores only appeared today, but he seems happy enough, especially compared to yesterday when he had a fever and slept between fits of misery. There has been at least one full blown adult case too, hopefully we can avoid the same fate but odds are low.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
if youre doing the stay at home thing look into wic. free baby food is awesome. My almost 4 month old got an ok from his ped for rice cereal, but were trying the AR formula and zantac first.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Eponymous Bosch posted:

I liked my rooming-in, but it wasn't on purpose since I was so injured from delivery that I couldn't make it down the stairs without sobbing from pain for the first month. Even if that doesn't happen again I might consider a (shorter) rooming-in which helped establish breastfeeding and gave me some much needed rest.

You don't have to start solids with any kind of oatmeal or cereal! We started with steamed sweet potato and peanut butter. We do baby-led weaning, so I just give him french fry shaped sticks of fruits, veggies, bread, but even if you were doing purees you could go straight to fruits and veggies. My almost 9 month old has never had baby cereal or oatmeal.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Another vote for baby led weaning. We started with stick shaped foods as well. My doctor was concerned about iron as that is added to the baby cereals, so I would mix baby oatmeal cereal in with mashed sweet potato or unsweetened applesauce and let him spoon it himself. Actually, the first time I fed him the oatmeal mixture (not his first food), I tried spoon feeding him but he just took the spoon right from my hand so I just let him have at it and would load the spoon to help him. I bought a six pack of appetizer spoons and appetizer forks for him to self feed. He liked that they look just like the grown up ones.

One note: be careful with rice cereal. Consumer reports found that there are high levels of arsenic in a lot of rice, including baby products. Rice cereal should be limited. Also, be careful of added sugars in baby products. Just because it is made for babies doesn't mean it is actually what is best for babies.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I've asked my doctor about iron and was always told that there's not a lot of it in breastmilk but what is there gets absorbed very well, so we didn't need to supplement. I'll probably bring it up again at our 9 month visit, as we look to making the shift toward more solids and less breastmilk.

My son won't let me spoon feed him either, he'll always grab the spoon and try to do it himself. For things like yogurt where it's hard to let him eat with his hands, I load it into a reusable pouch and he sucks it out.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I think the current recommendation (at least here in Quebec - Canada) is that a baby should be fed iron rich food at every meal for the first 2 years of his life. Baby cereal are very easy to add to other things and therefore are often recommended but you can feed your baby other iron rich food if you prefer. We almost never give him the cereal as "Oatmeal". We make come sort of pancakes and some sort of "cookies" that contain some of the baby cereal and he just loves it. We freeze them so in the morning we just pop one in the toaster and he just loves it.

Another amazing thing if you do baby led weaning are eggs. We would often just make him an egg when what we were eating wasn't ok for a baby. He just loves eggs, such an easy meal to cook too.

Seriously baby led weaning is the best thing ever and seeing my son eat made me wonder why the heck did we ever do the whole puree thing. Seems like such a hassle for less enjoyment and potentially more problems.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 23, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

HFM sucks and I am going to be out of work for the week and his fingernaila are gonna fall off and no one is sleeping and in hindsight I really should have had him skip daycare on Monday and Wednesday but eh, it was probably too late anyway.

I just want a break, I am so exhausted and I am probably gonna have to drag a super contagious kid to the supermarket soon because we are almost out of food and aaaargh

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

GlyphGryph posted:

HFM sucks and I am going to be out of work for the week and his fingernaila are gonna fall off and no one is sleeping and in hindsight I really should have had him skip daycare on Monday and Wednesday but eh, it was probably too late anyway.

I just want a break, I am so exhausted and I am probably gonna have to drag a super contagious kid to the supermarket soon because we are almost out of food and aaaargh
That sucks. But be ready for more. Ever since we started daycare the whole family is in a constant state of sickness. Right now it's just a cold so it's not soo bad, but I'm sure worst will hit us in the next week or two! Doesn't help that I'm a teacher so teenagers sneeze in my face all day long and my girlfriend is a nutritionnist that work in hospitals so she deals with sick people constantly.

Our appartment is a biohazard.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It wouldn't be nearly so bad if I didn't have to handle it alone. Once we're past Christmas and my wife is capable of at least taking care of herself it's gonna be a lot easier. I went for an hour walk with the baby to cheer him up, which he loved, but she got stuck in her chair and couldn't get any food or go to the bathroom while I was gone and I came back to find her miserable (and the baby himself very, very unhappy the walk was over)

Actually making it to Christmas... that seems like a daunting task though, because there's probably more of this to come and I'm rapidly running out of paid days off I can take at work.

As in, the only reason I haven't is because they gave me a bunch extra, and now I'm gonna burn right through those.

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

Jesus christ I hope your luck gets better soon. It just can't stay bad forever.

Our kid is 11 months old today and finally sleeping 5 or 6 hours at a time. It's a huge relief.

I'm also relieved to hear how many different feeding methods folks are using, seems like kids do fine with all sorts. My thought has been "if she's interested let her try it" and I'm never sure if I'm doing the right thing or not. I wish there were an ironclad methodology so I could stop second guessing myself all the time! We got a good pediatrician though, and that helps calm the ol first timer nerves.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Squid posted:

Jesus christ I hope your luck gets better soon. It just can't stay bad forever.

Eh, for all the venting I do here, things could be a lot worse. It will probably get worse before it gets better, but it will probably get better at some point.

I dont know how actual single parents do it though. Like I knew someone once who was raising two kids alone - how the hell does a person manage that? How do you take care of the kids, keep up a house, and hold down a steady job all at the same time? For all I complain, plenty of people seem worse off than me in a way that wont actually get better, not for yeara and years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

GlyphGryph posted:

Eh, for all the venting I do here, things could be a lot worse. It will probably get worse before it gets better, but it will probably get better at some point.

I dont know how actual single parents do it though. Like I knew someone once who was raising two kids alone - how the hell does a person manage that? How do you take care of the kids, keep up a house, and hold down a steady job all at the same time? For all I complain, plenty of people seem worse off than me in a way that wont actually get better, not for yeara and years.

If your wife is having the persistent mobility problems you describe have you thought of getting some in-home help?