Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I was gonna try and do a one-ten word description on everyone, but that post said pretty much everything and with more depth. So no point in me putting in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

Resurgam's post got me thinking on a few things, specifically Eva's actions in the last game. Reading over how she behaved after the corpses in the shed were found is kind of interesting. She and Hideyoshi do a good job of controlling the scene, and given that at this point she's now the heir apparent to the headship...

I don't know, it makes me wonder if the first set of murders went off with her prior knowledge. Her family is the only one that's safe, and she and Hideyoshi willingly leave the parlour later on. If my theory is correct, and she didn't set the chain lock for her room, then why? Was she expecting the culprit, so that they could plan out the next murder together? Maybe this is why the blood circle isn't there initially. If Eva was in on the plan to begin with, but got in an argument with the culprit, then they wouldn't have had time to set the scene properly before Kanon and Genji arrived.

On another note, I'm really hoping that we get to see a bit more of Battler's parents this time around. Kyrie strikes me as the kind of character that could really throw a wrench in the culprit's plans if left around too long, and if she has a plan, Rudolf will doubtless get swept up in it too.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

:siren:Video: The Single Element:siren:

BGM: Golden Sneer

And after that, over several millennia, humans added several elements to those four, trying to explain the world with several interpretations such as the five elements, the six elements, the seven elements, the eight elements, and the twelve elements, but they couldn't explain the one true 'single element'. However, a single man appeared, guided by a star, and finally explained the single element that makes up the world. Know what it is...?"
"...eh, ...ah, ...wh, ...wh, who..."

Shannon fearfully turned around...

Right there, she existed. Not as an illusion, in reality. The contrast made by the lightning made it clear that this was not just a daydream.

The witch of the portrait elegantly held a golden pipe to her mouth, and giggled. She laughed at the ignorance which causes humankind's thoughts to stray far from the most simple answer.

"That man explained everything in the world with love. That is the single element. That man fully explained how the world was constructed with the smallest number. How simple and clear, how splendid, exhilarating, pleasant and thrilling. The year that man was born eventually came to be known as Anno Domini. *cackle*cackle*!"

Shannon lost any words to speak. She thought that when first meeting an unknown guest, her first words should ask that person's name. But without saying anything, Shannon knew this person's name, so she refrained. No... surely as a person of this island, asking this person for her name would be the greatest disrespect. Because... she was a master of this island in addition to Kinzo.

"B... Beatrice-sama..."
"Indeed. I am Beatrice. The face people first make when they see me hasn't changed after one thousand years. *cackle*."

The witch giggled at how Shannon's reaction didn't betray her expectations. Shannon realized that she had met with a being that mustn't be met with, and she took a step backwards. That's where the wall and the portrait were, so even as she gazed at the witch, she supported the witch's portrait on her back.

"Even if you scoop and scoop, it is never filled, an eternal desert of the heart. The original sin that humans are founded upon and everything is made of."
"Understand? What Adam and Eve learned when they put the fruit of knowledge to their lips was love. Because of that, humans were chased out of the garden and became 'human'. Which means that what makes one human is knowing love and suffering. You are a girl with a kind heart. You should be praised. Now that you have known that, you are no longer furniture. You are now 'human'. I recognize that upon my name."
"...umm... u..."
"Hmph. Is it hard for a common person to understand? Oh, well. *cackle*cackle* Forgive me. It has been a long time since I have spoken with a human. I shall apologize for my talkativeness."

Without expecting a reply from Shannon, Beatrice laughed pleasantly for a while.

"Saying my apology is one thing, but would it be alright if I granted that desire of yours with my power?"
"...Huh..."

"I am offering to bring you and the one you love together. Normally, I would demand a corresponding compensation for that."
"*cackle*, I am in a good mood. And, you have done well in not forgetting to pay me respect. That is something worth rewarding."
"...I... is that true...?"

Normally, Shannon would have been shocked by this guest who didn't seem possible, and wouldn't have been able to speak. However, almost as though she had been captured by the witch's trick... Shannon responded to the witch.

"If I use magic, it is no trouble at all to arrange for a pair of people with feelings for each other to be joined."

A witch is a witch. A sinister being. Beatrice the witch is surely sliding in through the cracks in my heart, and taking me prisoner... The temptation that many fairy tale picture books warned me about when I was young, is truly right in front of me now.

"Fear is also a form of respect. It is comforting, but we will make no progress this way."
"...I certainly will not separate myself from the detestable image of a witch that you hold. However, I show good will to those who respect me. Aren't humans the same? Although I doubt there is a human who would repay your squaring off at them with good will, right?"
"...M, my apologies... I didn't mean..."

Shannon eventually realized that her posture was rude to the guest. And... she finally digested the words that had been spoken to her a short while ago.

...The more she reflected upon those words, the more Shannon felt like she could understand her own agony...

"...What was that, umm, just now... about a reward?"
"I am saying that I can arrange for you to be tied together with the man who has captured your heart. You can think of it as thanks for diligently polishing my portrait all the time."
"..."
"Calm yourself, I ask for no compensation. I am generous. However, while I ask for no compensation, I have a request."

Look, here it comes... A separate part of Shannon inside her heart warned her. She had been warned about this several times in picture books, which she had read and been frightened by when she was young...!

...I immediately remembered it. When you reached Rokkenjima by boat, there was a torii and a shrine on a reef which was too small to even be called an islet. I have the feeling that Kumasawa-san told me its history, but I can't remember well. A traveling mountaineering ascetic or someone had built it or wished it or something.

"...Yes, I know about it, but... what does, that...?"
"I will not explain everything from square one to a person who does not know of demons. To make a long story short, it is restraining me. Actually, there is mirror kept inside that shrine. I want you to break that."

That was a very suspicious request. She didn't know the history, but if there was a torii and a shrine, and something kept inside it, it had to be something sacred. She wants me to break that? Is a person who may be a witch relying on a human to do something that she herself cannot...?

There was no need for Shannon to speak her thoughts aloud. Beatrice started speaking of that quite natural question before Shannon could answer.

"If only the push of that mirror were gone, I could prepare a spoon perfect for drinking soup. If only that were to happen, I could drink soup, and even dig my way out of a rocky prison. I could even scoop eyeballs out... is that what it was? *cackle*cackle*!"
"...I... I don't know what you are talking about. If that is because I am uncultured, I apologize."
"It comes down to this. If you take action and break that annoying mirror for me, as a reward, I will grant you your wish."
"...I am in a very good mood today. If you want to, you may change your wish, and I can give you all of the gold I bestowed upon Kinzo, alright? *cackle*cackle*!"

BGM: None

"...What did you say?"

When she heard Shannon's words, Beatrice realized for the first time that her expectations had been betrayed.

"If there is a reason, tell me. If there is a misunderstanding, I shall resolve it."
"...I... I don't really understand the reason. But, until today, the island had been in peace, and nothing bad has happened... So, even if I don't break the mirror, the peace that has existed until today should continue into the future."
"Hmm... I see, I see, that is quite right. It's just as you say. If you don't break that, the same unbreakable days that have passed until today will continue into tomorrow and the next day. Why don't I give you an absolute guarantee?"

BGM: Organ Short #600 Million in C Minor

Shannon was trapped by a creepy hallucination. The mirror was probably something to restrain the witch. So breaking the mirror should have been something done for the witch's sake. But it felt as though Shannon had to do it for her own sake. It seemed like some premise had been switched...

"What I will do is nothing more than give you a chance to fulfill your feelings as a reward. It's up to you whether you try to break it or not. If you break it, I will grant your wish."
"If you don't break it, the tomorrows up until today will continue for all eternity. Your wish will not be granted for all eternity. Do you understand? What I am saying? *cackle*cackle*."

The witch spoke. She was pressing Shannon, saying that if she wanted to be joined with George, break the mirror. And she was announcing that if Shannon didn't break it, then her feelings would definitely never be fulfilled...

"...Please... stop it... I don't... want to hear something like that...!"
"I didn't want to cause you pain. Oh well. Feeling madness from love is the best thing about humans. You should enjoy that emotion to your heart's content."
"However, if you wish to borrow my power, you can break that mirror at any time. And you can yell my name and awaken me. I will definitely keep my promise. This way, you should have no complaints, right? I won't force you to decide right now. Are you comfortable?"

In the end, was that something she was comfortable with? Definitely not. To Shannon, who was burning with and worried by love, being tempted forever with a way to escape that path was truly a cruel test...

"I won't set a time limit on that promise, but there is a time limit on the magic that can grant that wish. That limit is not something I have decided. The person of your feelings will decide it himself. Do you know what that means?"
"...I, I don't know."
"The limit is the time that the person of your feelings chooses the person he should pledge his love to. I am a witch, but I am not a demon. I do not have a power which can tear apart two who love each other, you see...? *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!!"
"I hear that the person of your thoughts will soon be attending a marriage meeting, right...? You may have stronger feelings for that man than anyone else in the world. However, that doesn't mean that you are the most appropriate for him, does it...?"

"She came from a good school, achieved good grades, and has composure and prudence. She is more beautiful than you, wiser than you, more suitable than you. Why would a ignorant, incompetent, uncultured girl like you be suitable? You know better than anyone. You are the most unsuitable! Even imagining that you and Ushiromiya George could be joined is sinful, and foolish, foolish foolish, know your place!! Have you forgotten to be grateful for your education? Know your place."

"To answer that expectation, he has studied tirelessly, entered a wonderful college, and is getting wonderful grades. Did you really think you could snatch George away, you uneducated, incompetent, unqualified, uncultured servaaaant?"

BGM: None

At that time, as Shannon held her head, trying to protect her heart from the blade of Beatrice's words, Kanon ran in front of her. Kanon didn't care who this woman was. As long as he knew she was an enemy that was tormenting Shannon, who he loved and respected as a sister, nothing else mattered.

"...Kanon-kun, stay back...! This person is...!"
"..."

It seemed that Kanon also realized that the being standing before him was the witch of the portrait. And also that she was a terrifying being.

BGM: Fishy Aroma

"...But I will leave that promise as a reward to you. If you need my power, call me at any time. I have already told you how."
"...Well then, now, let us disperse. Hostile gazes may be pleasant, but they are bad for your figure, right? *cackle*cackle*cackle*"
"Disappear...!! I don't know who you are, but you're threatening Shannon! Don't ever show yourself again!!"

It seemed that Kanon's words made the witch horribly displeased.

"...So, you do not choose your words carefully, lowborn? I am gracious to those who respect me, but brutal to those who do not, right...?"

While she still smiled, the witch's face began to twist itself... And, there was a oppressive feeling that couldn't be noticed with any of the five senses, which gradually filled the room... Even though they couldn't understand it, they immediately realized that it was something terrifying...

When you swim in the ocean. and something large goes by in the water beneath you, you want to escape to the land even before you learn what it is. This was the same as that!

"P, please stop, Beatrice-sama!! Kanon-kun is still a child. I apologize for his language!"
"..."
"...ch."

Kanon blocked the way to Shannon, his body outstretched. There was tense sweat on his forehead. At that time, the witch certainly had Kanon's fate in the palm of her hand. She didn't even need to lift a finger. By just twisting her own smile, she had Kanon's fate in the palm of her hand, so that she would easily crush it...

Kanon also understood that. So he started sweating. His knees felt weak...

However, Beatrice abruptly released that feeling of tension, and laughed.

"...In parting, I shall leave a single souvenir. Hold out the palm of your left hands, you two."

When Beatrice grinned broadly and snapped her fingers, against their will, their left hands stretched out in front of them, and their palms opened. It was a strange sensation, as though only their left hands had become someone else's. It felt like only their left hands had become puppets, which were being pulled by strings hanging down from the ceiling.

"Wh, what... are you trying to do...?!"

Kanon resisted, but he couldn't freely bring his hand back.

"Don't struggle. It will be over soon."

When Beatrice held her pipe aloft, from inside the smoke, gold-colored sparkling dust hovered in the air.

That glitter eventually became several gold butterflies. The beautiful butterflies danced freely throughout the reception hall, creating a fantastical and beautiful world. And two of those butterflies alighted on the palms of Shannon's and Kanon's hands.

"?!"
"Ouch...!"

There was a sharp pain, as though they had been burned. When the two of them tried to examine their palms, there was no trace left of that inability to move their bodies, which had been there until a second ago.

"...Ah, ...a bruise...? What is..."

On the palm of her hand, a small burn mark had been made, the size of a speck. Furthermore, it was shaped like a butterfly...

"Wh, what is this supposed to be..."

Apparently, Kanon had the same bruise on his hand. He stared at the witch hatefully.

"...The impact of a meeting with me is strong. Sometimes, at the next morning, people try to think of their meeting with me as a dream or an illusion. You should think slowly and carefully, Shannon. And you should probably take a good rest, look at my mark tomorrow morning, and try thinking again."
"I do not use coercion for anything. You should freely decide your future, by your own will. However, to think that the object of desire could be satisfied with compensation such as this... It would annoy the great artists who write plays about blighted love to no end. *cackle*cackle*cackle*!"
"Well then, let us meet again when the chance arises. It truly is fun to have a conversation again after so much time. Goodbye, furniture. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!"

Beatrice's body crumbled like smoke and blew away. It was golden smoke... no, a group of gold butterflies. They scattered in all directions inside the reception hall, leaving a golden splash before disappearing into thin air. After that, only the cold silence was left. The extreme silence was enough to make both of them think that they might have been daydreaming until just a moment ago... Which is why the witch had left it. She had left a mark to make it impossible for them to think that this was a daydream.

As Shannon and Kanon thought back on the butterfly bruises on their hands, and the pain they had felt when those had been left there, they kept standing still, in shock...

And from that day on... Shannon was tormented by days of suffering and conflict...

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 31, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

You know the thing that really sticks out to me on the re-read is just how much shannon's story feels like a typical Disney princess movie. The cinderella parallels are hardcore.

Beatrice is one poor choice for a fairy godmother, though.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

oath2order posted:

You know the thing that really sticks out to me on the re-read is just how much shannon's story feels like a typical Disney princess movie. The cinderella parallels are hardcore.

Beatrice is one poor choice for a fairy godmother, though.

Well, I dunno... She seems pretty on point for how fairies used to be portrayed in song and story before the World Wars: as dangerous, eldritch beings who played around with humanity because they could, rather than a helpful spirit born of a dead mother's love. But goddamn, Beatrice is laying it on thick there; might as well have burst into song as she teleported away...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

"Relax, just break into this hallowed, unattended Shinto shrine and shatter a sacred mirror for me. It'll be fiiiine. Or, you know, don't. And just have fun with your life being the same as ever. Or possibly have fun living tomorrow out over and over for eternity, depending on if I'm being literal or metaphorical."

She seems on the level.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Holy lip-synced batman...

ANIMATED BUTTERFLIES! :eyepop:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So she gave the two of them burn marks to make sure they knew they hadn't imagined meeting her, but kept the murders ambiguous because...?

:iiam:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SardonicTyrant posted:

So she gave the two of them burn marks to make sure they knew they hadn't imagined meeting her, but kept the murders ambiguous because...?

:iiam:

Assumedly, this is her way of showing Battler - or the viewer, whomever - that she is interfering directly from the getgo now, as opposed to being this ambiguous presence until "the ninth twilight".

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Thesaya posted:

I am annoyed at this bit. I prefer the violence and mystery bits, romance really isn't my thing.

Might I direct you to the thread title, gentleperson? :colbert:

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well in this case the points are different. We really don't know much about Shannon and George

I meant as in Shannon referring to herself as Furniture again and again who doesn't deserve to have human things like a real human. I find that sentiment personally offensive, so maybe I'm just noticing it more than I normally would.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just lol if you get offended by anime serviles knowing their place.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I meant as in Shannon referring to herself as Furniture again and again who doesn't deserve to have human things like a real human. I find that sentiment personally offensive, so maybe I'm just noticing it more than I normally would.

Well now Beatrice has promoted Shannon to human so I'm sure that's the end of that. Furniture no more! Hopefully next Beatrice tries it on an end table.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Qrr posted:

Well now Beatrice has promoted Shannon to human so I'm sure that's the end of that. Furniture no more! Hopefully next Beatrice tries it on an end table.

This truly is the modern day Beauty and the Battler.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

KataraniSword posted:

This truly is the modern day Beauty and the Battler.

There's something strange about this crime
And though I tried to solve it I ran out of time.
But maybe now, I know for sure,
I'll prove the Golden Witch just wasn't there before.

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

Taking this at face value, we have evidence to suggest a human Beatrice existed on the island prior to the murders, who was colluding with some of the servants.

More interesting is the shrine, and Beatrice referring to the servants as furniture. Furniture seems to mean a person who can't love, but Beatrice can promote them to human somehow? I'm curious as to why the culprit is loving with Shannon , and why she needs the shrine not only broken, but by someone else. They're making a point of hammering on about this hard, so I hope it turns out to be relevant.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Moonlit Night

"Y... Yes... I mean, was it that strange...?"

Since Jessica's cheeks had been stuffed with chocolate-coated chinsukou biscuit that Shannon had brought as a present from Okinawa, it all flew out at Shannon when Jessica cried out...

"...Sh, Shannon, why did you even go on a trip up to Okinawa...? And even alone with George nii-san!"
"That is, I mean... since there's a very big aquarium in Okinawa, I was invited to go and... I... like fish and stuff..."
"No, that's not it!! This is a young couple going on an overnight trip, right?! And you're saying there weren't even any hugs and kisses?! To say nothing of the fact that the guy and girl were staying in different rooms!!"
"As for k, kisses, no comment. Ah, but we did hug... George-san's chest was warm..."
"That's not the point!! Aah, geez! Why do couples like this exist?! Aaah, geez!! It's so irritating!"

[

For a while, Jessica chewed on her present, complaining about romance and pretending to faint in agony on her bed. Shannon and George had chosen to go to Okinawa because there was a huge aquarium there. And they had used the aquarium as an excuse to get together. Since their relationship had started at an aquarium, having their first overnight trip also be to an aquarium must have held some commemorative value.

"What a turning point! It was your first overnight trip!! Shouldn't there have been lots of progress?! And even so, separate rooms for the guy and girl?! A couple taking two single rooms?! Aah, geez, really, what's wrong with you!"
"...Err, umm... but we're both single... George-san says showing restraint is good manners for a couple..."
"Like I said, this overnight trip was so you could overcome that stage, right?! You're already at the level of things like kissing and hugging, right?!"
"M, Milady, I don't know what you mean by that... G, George-sama was a real gentleman with me until the end. That is, I mean... I also... wondered if those things would happen, you know... but we, even though we are going out, I mean, it, it's not that we are married or anything..."
"What Milady seems to be expecting, ...I mean, we must do so only after we properly make a vow in front of God, umm... w w, we must... au."

Shannon's face got bright red. She made a circle with both hands, restlessly intertwining, separating and making heart marks with them.

Apparently, the dramatic progress Jessica had looked forward to hadn't happened, but it seemed that it had been a very important experience for Shannon in her own way. So in the end, whether Jessica was jealous of Shannon or cheered for her, it didn't change the fact that Shannon had a huge lead on her.

"Aah, I want a boyfriend toooo!! I can't believe Shannon got ahead of me!! Even though we promised that we would find boyfriends at the same time, you beat me, Aarrrrrrgh!"
"U, umm... Milady is a wonderful person, so I'm sure a wonderful person will appear very soon..."
"Don't try to console me!! Shannon, you traitor, get o-ut, shut u-p! *cough*cough*, *cough*cough*cough*!!"

Jessica threw several cushions at her. But midway, she had an asthma attack and started to choke pretty badly. Shannon hurriedly ran over to a nearby side table and started searching around on top of it. A lovely basket was placed there and inside of it was Jessica's bronchodilator. Shannon picked it up and handed it over to Jessica.

Jessica's asthma attacks always came suddenly. Because of this, she always carried this medicine around. She breathed in the medicine and, after a while, managed to overcome her choking as her asthma finally settled down. Shannon thought this a good chance to leave and tried to exit the room after bowing courteously...

As she did, one more small cushion came flying and hit Shannon on the head.

BGM: Steady Pace

"... M, Milady...?"
"Sha... Shannon... Be honest with me... Is my... hairdo and stuff... strange...?"
"What are you saying... I think that your hair is very beautiful."
"Then... then, then, are my eyes strange, or maybe my nose? Or is it the way I talk after all...? Is that why I can't get a boyfriend...?"
"Of course not. Milady, you are wonderful enough as you are. And I think that your charm will keep on increasing more and more from now on."

"I was so sure I'd have a boyfriend before that day and said it so impressivly...I can't find a boyfriend. Only me, only me..."

Before she realized it, Jessica was shedding huge tears. Jessica didn't really feel like crying, and of course, she felt like supporting Shannon's progress in love as a friend. However, as she had cheered Shannon on, her true feelings had suddenly gotten mixed in, and she couldn't help but shed tears...

...Shannon understood Jessica's innocent and easily injured heart. Jessica's ordinary rough style of speech, was all just an attempt to protect her own easily injured heart. As a daughter and successor to the Ushiromiya family, and as a girl isolated on Rokkenjima, the only person she could expose her true feelings to was Shannon. Shannon understood that. So, she strongly regretted getting into even a slightly good mood.

"...S, sorry... Crying like this, I'm, weird. Sorry... *sniffle*."
"You are a wonderful person, Milady. There is no way that a wonderful man won't appear for you, Milady..."
"...Sh, Shannon, it's about time, right? If you don't go quickly, Genji-san and Mom will get mad. I'm perfectly fine, so go quickly...! Heheh, sorry for crying like this. I'm such a moron."

Jessica faced away, acting as though she didn't really want to trouble Shannon, waving her hand as though driving Shannon away. Shannon took that as a sign that anything more would be obnoxious, bowed her head, and left the room...

When her footsteps disappeared into the distance, Jessica lay down on her bed, still hugging a cushion. Her expression was still a little meek, with tears in her eyes, but for the first time in a long time, she had a very, very quiet and honest conversation with her heart.

BGM: Novelette

She turned around, thinking that if this was one of the family coming to see her, she must greet them, and what she saw was that witch.

"B, Beatrice-sama..."

As Beatrice sat on the rose arch, she happily blew on her pipe. Sitting in a place like that would get you pricked by the roses, and it might have been dangerous if you fell off the arch... but after all, this was a witch. That would surely be worrying too much.

"...Y, yes. Thanks to you, it's going smoothly."
"Naturally, my magic is instantaneous. Maybe you feel that your meeting was a predetermined fate. But that isn't correct, don't think this has anything to do with fate."
"...I... I understand that."

The witch was calling attention to something. Two things, actually. Originally, her relationship with George had been completely impossible... And the power of magic was so great that it could distort that. Shannon had just gotten wrapped up in those sweet days, and had started believing the illusion that all fate revolved around her.

...But she remembered the witch's words. Originally, her relationship with George had been impossible... no, it might also be impossible in the future as well...

"*cackle*cackle*, sorry, sorry. It's just like a doctor. Even though you rely on them when you worry about your health, after you're healed, you forget even to thank them. I've never been thanked as a witch, so I couldn't help acting a little rudely. Forgive me."
"...I have never forgotten my feelings of gratitude. I was able to achieve happiness thanks to your power, Beatrice-sama. And without that power, the fate that brought me and George-sama together wouldn't have happened. I have never forgotten that."
"Sorry, sorry. It's not like I came here to bully you. Talking rudely is just my personality. Do forgive me. More importantly, I heard, I heard! About your trip alone with him. I'm sure it was quite fun."
"Y, yes! It was very, umm, fun."

Shannon's face suddenly grew bright. The witch laughed lightly, as though that transformation was worth money.

Beatrice laughed pleasantly. That smile made her look as though she blessed the lovers' rendezvous from the bottom of her heart, without a trace of malice.

After that day, Beatrice had shown herself before Shannon every once in a while. Even now, Shannon still thought of her as a creepy being. However, she was also indebted to this person for bestowing the magic that had given her the relationship she had with George. So Shannon tried with all her might not to be surprised or scared.

"Th... that's right. Umm, Beatrice-sama. I bought some sweets as a souvenir from our trip. Would you, umm... like some?"
"Hoh??? A souvenir for a witch...?"

It seemed that even a witch who boasted of living for one thousand years hadn't been able to predict that she would receive a souvenir from a pair of sweet lovers. When she saw that surprised expression, Shannon thought of the witch as a friend for the first time.

BGM: Hope

"...What? What's so funny?"
"N, nothing. My apologies."

This witch, who surely held a terrifying power, was chomping down on sweets one after another, making a sound like a squirrel stuffing walnuts into its mouth. After a while, Shannon couldn't conceal her laughter.

"Hmmm, a good meal. I should serve you some Dolce Vita from Nero one of these days. Roses are the symbol of eternal love. I believe a rose dolce would be appropriate for you now."

The witch was in a great mood, fully enjoying modern candy.

"Umm... here. I truly wish to thank you so much. I believe you have done more than enough for me already, so I'm returning this."

"There is no need to return it. If you continue holding that, your relationship should remain firm in perpetuity."
"...Maybe I was given a chance to meet him by the power of magic. But I think the effort that will make that meeting eternal will come from the two of us cooperating together."
"Hmmm. Love and roses are the same. Too much fertilizer causes the roots to rot. Some flowers cannot be raised without hard work. In that case, do as you wish. You may wear it or keep it in a box. That is my good will, given to you. It would not please me if you were to return it to me."
"Ah... m, my apologies...! That's not what I..."
"*cackle*cackle*. No harm has been done. That brooch is already yours. If you treasure that proof of our friendship, that would comfort me a bit."
"You may hold on to it, and gain its benefits. You may also keep it in a box. If you wish, it is up to you whether you give it to another who is worrying about love. But you should regard it as important. Of course, it would pain my heart if you wasted it."

According what Beatrice said, several times in the distant past, she had been called by people and given them an tool imbued with some kind of magic power. However, when most people used that power to resolve their worries, they quickly came to think of that power as creepy, and, forgetting their feelings of thanks, they threw the tools they had been given away with disgust.

"So I haven't often received thanks for my good will. Let's see, is this the first time? *cackle*cackle* *cackle*cackle*."

She herself had been like that in the past... no, maybe she was still like that now. Beatrice was definitely a witch, with a strange and terrifying power. Most likely, no one would go along with her if they could help it. Surely, even though they had relied on that strange power, people sometimes felt fear rather than gratitude as a result. It must have deeply hurt the witch when that repeated over and over.

Since the time she had started thinking that way, Shannon had tried to stop being frightened of Beatrice. That was surely what had tormented her for longer than one thousand years...

Maybe she really liked the sweets. Beatrice, who normally spoke abusively, praised the black tea that Shannon served her, and looked to be in remarkably high spirits. After doing that for a while, the witch and the servant grew animated talking about the trip with George.

First off, she was a ghost-like being who appeared in unexpected places at unexpected times. And it seemed that not everyone could perceive that she was there. It seemed that each person had something called a wavelength, and that the ability to perceive it varied greatly among different people. Only Shannon and Kanon could interact with her enough to exchange words like this. There were a few people who could sense her presence, but most people couldn't even feel that much. From what Beatrice said, Krauss and his wife in particular had zero magical talent. And no matter how much she followed them around, they would never notice her. Previously, when Shannon had messed up and Natsuhi had gotten really mad at her, Beatrice had started playing around, hitting Natsuhi on the head with her pipe. Indeed, Natsuhi really hadn't noticed at all.

But Shannon, watching that, had burst out laughing without thinking, and had gotten scolded even more.

"...Kinzo is the same. There is no one with a more pitiful lack of magical talent. It's the blood. He has so little talent that I feel sorry for him."
"...?"

As soon as they started talking about Kinzo, it felt like the atmosphere around Beatrice changed. She had spoken about Krauss and the rests' lack of magic talent as though she looked down on them, but she spoke of Kinzo in a different way. Anyone connected to the Ushiromiya family would know about Kinzo's Legend of the Gold. According to that, Kinzo had summoned the witch Beatrice, and had been given the gold. In other words, that meant that she had some kind of relationship with Kinzo.

"That was because... even though he didn't have a scrap of talent, he succeeded. He kept studying by himself like mad, and reached the level of magician."
"That's... something really incredible, right...?"
"...Hmm."

The witch, who usually looked down on people, was unexpectedly praising someone. While she lambasted him, saying that he had no talent, she praised Kinzo's efforts.

"And then, the Master summoned Beatrice-sama with the power of magic..."
"Hmm. Well, I only answered the summons on a whim. In this period where magic has long been denied, those without a scrap of talent give it their all. It was just my luck that I'd decide to come and laugh at him. *cackle*cackle*cackle*."

BGM: Worldend (solo)

Shannon hesitated over whether it would be alright to continue this discussion, but Beatrice continued on her own, ignoring Shannon.

"Then the Master... used that gold and succeeded in business, and grew his wealth into what it is today."
"Hmm. His talent in magic was nothing, but it seems he had talent in business and gambling. Or was it because of his bravery and madness to bet everything on unreasonable bets. Madness sometimes brings about magic. I see, if you look at it that way, maybe I can't really say that Kinzo had absolutely no magical talent. *cackle*cackle*"

While everyone in the Ushiomiya family knew of the story regarding how Kinzo had idolized black magic, summoned a witch, and been given gold, in actuality, it was all rambling that no one believed in. And now that she was hearing that it was true from the witch herself... Shannon felt a little flustered at this insane secret that only she knew.

"Then Kinzo, who had obtained a vast fortune, could completely obtain every dream one can satisfy with objects they can obtain in the human world. And in the end, he searched for the truth of the world."
"The truth... of the world?"
"...The single element that makes up the world. Kinzo, who had achieved everything one can obtain in the human world, wanted that, the final desire humans seek."

The single element. She felt like she had heard the witch say that word before. When Beatrice saw Shannon trying to remember what that was, she laughed bitterly, waving her hand and saying there was no need to remember.

"...I underestimated Kinzo a little. I truly hadn't thought that he would display such power."
"...And thanks to that, I'm in this state. I've been sewn in place on this island for several decades now, without even a friend to drink tea with. No matter who I try to talk to, my voice doesn't reach them, and no matter where I go, I cannot do anything. Such boring decades."

As she laughed in self-derision, she tapped her teacup with her finger. It made the transparent sound of pottery. Shannon didn't know whether the word 'self-derision' was really an accurate expression to describe the look on the witch's face.

Shannon didn't understand everything, but she could more or less figure out the situation. And it was probably a topic that she could not press the witch on easily, unless the witch started talking about it herself. To sum up everything she had said up until now...

During that time, her words had reached Shannon, who never forgot to strongly respect the witch. And she had helped the witch to regain her power, if only a little bit.

...As a result, she had become able to drink tea with Shannon like this...

"...Beatrice-sama, what in the world was that mirror you told me to break?"
"Aaah, that story. Long ago, it seems various things happened on the islands around this area. Because of that, bad things gathered, drawn towards an evil distortion. It seems that a traveling eastern magician or something built a shrine for the repose of souls and sealed them in there."
"...That in itself had nothing to do with me, but unfortunately the foundation of that magical power was different. It created a strong interference with my magical power, and was extremely bothersome."
"Is that how it was...? And I just assumed that it sealed you, Beatrice-sama..."
"I was not its target. But it was a divine mirror. As a result, my power was sealed away. If you were to use food as an example, maybe it would go something like this. Let's say that the western-style food I ordered is being made in the kitchen. However, when they try to set the table, the area for the guest seating is in the Japanese style with Japanese style dishes. So the kitchen is unable to take out a plate which would be out of place, and no matter how long I wait, my western-style food won't arrive... something like that."
"So you destroyed that Japanese-style guest seating, and returned the area to a blank slate for a time. Thanks to that, the meal I had ordered was finally delivered, and my power came back, you could say. However, so far, only the aperitif has arrived. It will still be quite some time before the main dish. As I am now, I'm even more faint than a fairy in a shoe store."

BGM: Doorway of Summer

"Mu. What is so funny?"
"Nothing... I thought the witch's example was so interesting. I never thought you could use a story about food as an analogy for a story about magic."
"I had planned that to be a skillful expression, if I do say so myself, but I was sure it wouldn't be laughed at. It's a little unexpected."

A slightly sulky expression rose to the witch's face. It wasn't a strange expression at all to be appearing on the face of some friends as they enjoyed their tea.

"...Although I may not look it, I was known for doing extremely brutal things in the past. I've gotten soft. Now I can even have a foolish discussion while drinking tea with a human."

She was probably talking to herself. As Beatrice gazed at the sea birds tracing the horizon, she put her tea to her lips again.

"You think so? I think the ocean is a beautiful deep blue, even if it gets cloudy."
"...Hmph."

Maybe the witch noticed the deep meaning behind Shannon's words. She laughed lightly and set down her empty teacup.

"...It seems that those things buried in your eyes aren't black pebbles anymore. How is it? Do you understand the feeling of furniture being reborn as a human?"
"...Yes. I did not know that the world was this kind."

Since her relationship with George had begun, Shannon's face had grown brighter more often. Her smile had made everything go smoothly, and had even changed her luck. Shannon made less mistakes in her work than she had before, and the family members' opinion of her was starting to change slightly. Just the other day, Krauss, who rarely exchanged words with her, had suddenly started talking to her, surprising her.

"N, no... But, ...every day is fun, yes."
"Hmph. Isn't that a good thing? Coffee is obviously more delicious if it's poured with a smile. Could I ask for that smile again?"
"Y, ...yes!"

That had become a chance for Shannon to gain confidence in herself. Of course, it didn't go beyond her own heart, and it wasn't so big a change that anyone would notice. But she had begun to change, bit by bit.

Shannon understood it clearly. Knowing love was the same as gaining a soul... And therefore she was born again from furniture to a human. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Beatrice's words. By knowing love, Shannon had learned what it was to be human.

"...After all, someone doesn't like it when you drink tea with me, right?"
"Huh?"

The witch gripped a teaspoon and flipped it with her fingers, sending it up in the air. After that, was launched by the fingers of some invisible person in empty space, and flew straight at a bush close nearby.

The bush moved violently, and Kanon came out. It seemed that he had been there for some time, and had been watching their tea party. The spoon was gripped in his hand. If he hadn't caught it in an instant, it might have hit him hard in the forehead and caused him to start oozing blood.

"Do not worry. Our tea party is over now, Kanon."
"How long were you there? If you had called to us, I'd have poured you some tea too..."
"I imagine that you didn't want to interrupt a pair of women talking, right? *cackle*cackle*!"
"..."

Kanon kept silent, but it seemed that there was a slightly hostile look in his eyes. On the outside, he acted respectfully. But unlike Shannon, Kanon did not trust the witch.

When Beatrice hit the table with her pipe, the tea set turned into gold butterflies, which flew upwards as one. They then scattered in every direction, and the cleanup was already done.

"It was fun, Shannon. Let us meet again if the chance arises. My magical power is still quite lacking. It's tiring even to show myself."
"...If you're that tired, never appear again."

Kanon had said it in a small voice, but it seemed the witch had heard it perfectly. She giggled, but did not reply.

"Shannon. Tell me more about George at our next tea party. There are no snacks sweeter than a person's love life. *cackle*cackle*cackle*. See you again."

Beatrice's body also became gold butterflies, which scattered in all directions and disappeared. It was a very fantastical and beautiful scene, like a blizzard of gold leaf. For a while, Shannon quietly watched the witch's exit...

Kanon approached her from behind, and spoke with a very different expression on his face than his sister's.

BGM: White Shadow

"Beatrice-sama isn't that bad of a person. Yes, she might be a little strange, but-"
"The fact that only we can see her is suspicious enough... That person isn't human. There's no way we could understand what she's planning."
"Kanon-kun, I think that's a little rude."

Shannon spoke seriously, which was unusual for her. To Kanon, who knew her well, it must have seemed extremely serious. Kanon was excessively surprised at Shannon's style of speech, and remained silent.

"It's true that Beatrice-sama is different from humans. She has a terrifying power, so I think she is to be feared and respected. But just because she's different from a human, doesn't mean that it isn't really rude to loathe her like that."
"...I understand what you're trying to say, Nee-san. You've changed since she gave you that brooch. It's like you're the witch's prisoner. She mediated your relationship with George-sama, and now you're indebted to her."
"...Don't say stuff like that."
"That person isn't human. We don't know what she's thinking. You mustn't trust her. And we aren't humans either, Nee-san."

Kanon's words became more serious. Those words probably gouged at Shannon's heart. Shannon bit her lower lip and hung her head.

"We are furniture. Even if we receive names and are treated as humans, that won't change how we were born."

Those words Beatrice had given her, which had made her happiest, floated through Shannon's mind...

"I am not... furniture."
"No, you are furniture. We are less than human. Nee-san, you're acting like you've forgotten that, and you're just pretending to be human. You should understand that yourself."
"I... am not furniture. I'm human...!"
"No, you aren't human. From the beginning, we have been unqualified to love or be loved."

It seemed that Kanon's criticism had shifted in focus ever since Shannon had suddenly started meeting with the witch. Shannon also noticed that quickly.

"I heard from Milady. You honestly, fell in love. I can't believe that you would go on a trip with George-sama...! You've forgotten your place as furniture. You've just been tempted by that witch, and mistakenly believe that you became human!"
"Listen, Kanon-kun. We certainly are furniture. Lesser beings, inferior to humans. But if we could replace that unfulfilled part... wouldn't that mean that we could become human?"
"...That couldn't happen."
"No, it could. If we can gain that, we won't be furniture. We can become human."
"...Ridiculous. ...As if you could."

Kanon spat that out, but he said it weakly, and turned away. He was probably giving up. After being baptized as furniture in his days of suffering, his heart was firmly sealed...

"...You can too, Kanon-kun. You can become a normal human."
"...Stop it, that's the witch talking."
"Yes. Beatrice-sama taught me. By gaining the single element of the world, we can become human. No, nobody's human if that isn't satisfied. So people spend their entire lives trying to gain that single element."
"I don't understand what you're saying, Nee-san. I don't want to listen to ranting."
"Then I'll teach it so even you can understand. Look, see what I'm pointing at?"
"...?"

Kanon didn't understand what she was actually pointing at, and couldn't do anything except look between the horizon and Shannon's expression, which looked like it was posing a riddle.

"The sea. Kanon-kun, what color does the sea look to you?"

It was a really simple question. Kanon tried to guess the meaning behind that question for a while, but since he couldn't think of anything, he obeyed and answered.

"...It's a vague, dark-gray color. So what?"

Objectively speaking, the sea, laid out beneath a cloudy sky, could probably be described best by Kanon's words. But as Shannon closed her eyes and smiled, she shook her head slightly.

"It looks deep blue to me."

"No. The sea is deep blue. If I understand, and you do not, that's what it means..."

Kanon bit his lower lip and was silent for a while.

"...I... don't understand."
"Kanon-kun. Would you stick out your hand?"

As Kanon was taken aback, unable to understand what she was saying, she took his arm, and opened the palm of his hand. Shannon softly set something there.

"This is... hers...?"
"No, this is mine. So think of it as me and treat it with respect, okay?"
"..."

After being spoken to like that, he couldn't just throw it away. Kanon didn't know what he should do, and he stood there confused for a while, the brooch still on the palm of his hand. Shannon put the palm of her hand on top of Kanon's, and the brooch was warmed by both of their hands.

"This charm holds true magical power. I'm sure that it will teach you an important emotion, Kanon-kun."
"...Nothing can be taught from that person's magic."
"No, something can. So wear it. If that's embarrassing, I hear it's okay if you just hide it in your pocket."
"...Ridiculous... As if I'd be led astray by that person's magic."

Even as he said that, Kanon couldn't be cold-hearted towards something Shannon was pressing on him. In the end, Kanon took it and agreed reluctantly, as though saying he would prove that he wouldn't surrender to the witch's power. Shannon smiled and nodded back.

"I'm sure you can learn something important from it... And I'm sure you can become human. And when you do, I'm sure that this ocean will look like a beautiful blue to you as well, Kanon-kun."
"...Gray is gray no matter how many times I look."

"Huh...?"

Because of the howling wind, he hadn't been able to catch the main point of what she'd just said. So Shannon said it once more.

The single element of the world. She spoke once more of the world where that was satisfied, where the sea was deep blue.

"I'm sure you'll be able to see a deep blue ocean. After all-"

BGM: Sukashiyuri

"...It is Kanon, Master."

It was rare for Kinzo to leave his study. However, that in itself didn't mean his noble research had been suspended. He may have left the study because of a change in mood, but that didn't mean that the thoughts filling his head were any different from those he had had inside the study. So Kanon knew that no matter what the time, speaking to Kinzo when he didn't want to be spoken to would always be a disturbance in his research.

"The weather is heavy. Will it get worse?"
"Yes. According to the weather report, it could rain at any time. Shall I bring an umbrella?"
"It will not come to that. You should leave me alone for a while. If my children ask, say that you do not know where I am. I am busy on a journey through my own thoughts."
"...Certainly. Then, if you would excuse me."

During the time that Kanon bowed to him, Kinzo had already returned to his own world, and had forgotten that Kanon was there. And once again, he began rambling to himself. Amidst those words, the name of that witch was repeated many times.

"Ooohhh, Beatrice, what can I do to see your face one more time...? Ooooooooohhhhhhh..."

As Kanon listened to his master's weeping voice with his back turned, he turned around just once. When he did, right behind his isolated, old master... was the shadow of a person that shouldn't have been there.

At once, Kanon, thinking that the witch must be plotting to do Kinzo some harm, quickly ran back to Kinzo, trying to become a shield himself. But when he saw the expression on the witch's face, that emotion of his vanished. Because, Beatrice's expression was... sorrowful, or maybe pitying.

"You fool, Kinzo... Can't you see me, even though I am here?"

Right behind Kinzo, as he repeated the witch's name over and over, desiring to be reunited with her more than anything else, was the witch herself. And yet, Kinzo didn't notice anything. When Beatrice tried to rest her hand on his shoulder, he didn't notice anything.

"...Why, why does my hand not reach Beatrice's smile?! Is it the age of the moon, the cycle of the comets, the alignment of the planets?! What is lacking, what is, what is?!!"
"...It's useless, Kinzo. ...Without love, it cannot be seen."

Kanon took the brooch he had received from Shannon out of his pocket. Would he also be able see something that couldn't be seen now, by learning something?

He looked at Kinzo's back once more.

The witch could no longer be seen there.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 31, 2016

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Title drop

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Man I really like Beatrice's characterization in this scene

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

tiistai posted:

Man I really like Beatrice's characterization in this scene

Beatrice is just the best character in a series full of best characters, generally.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well...poo poo. :stare: That update just... completely upended my understanding of what is going on here.

I mean, that is not what I expected at all when I look at how Beatrice has been portrayed through the rest of this story. She's been treated as this malevolent, sinister presence throughout, and absolutely lived up to that image when she first appeared, so to see her be so... chummy, nice and down right cute with Shannon this episode, to see her be so kind to someone (as, in fairness she always said she would be to those who help her)- it's like seeing friggin' Cthulu wish you a good day and give you a nice lunch. From Shannon's perspective, I'm glad: it's this kindness from an unexpected source that gives her strength to go after what she wants and do some patriarchy-smashing herself... I suspected her of having a stronger backbone than Kanon, and I was vindicated when Kanon just goes back to the learned helplessness well and harps on that "furniture" poo poo because he's been broken by it and Shannon hasn't. She even gives up her love-charm in order to show him a part of the joy she now shares... and there's where the title comes in, reinforced by Shannon's new vigor and the dark and sad undercurrent with the scene with Kinzo. Without love, it cannot be seen... and what has driven Kinzo to madness is not love, but obsession.

Now, this still could all be an act- Kanon certainly seems to think so, and since we learned that Beatrice is more or less trapped here, that does give her a motive for causing the massacre- but I just can't see why she would go to all the trouble of supporting Shannon's suit and attempt to liberate her from the awful slave logic that holds the servants in thrall just to ice her later when the massacre begins. Don't get me wrong- setting up a romantic girl for a marriage and then killing her before that marriage is even consummated is just the sort of monkey's-paw awfulness I would expect from a wish granted by a twisted being, but I don't see what Beatrice would gain from her death when what she does alive amuses her so well. It leads me to a feeling and that feeling is this: it wasn't Beatrice that killed Shannon that night. She saw something she shouldn't have, and that is why she died; the whole thing about Beatrice being prevented by the charm is hoo-hah to distract us from that.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Just to understand your arguement, do you think Beatrice killed no one in the last episode, or is it that she killed bunch but there was also another culprit?

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

Man, I'm trying not to acknowledge all the magic tomfoolery going on here, but it's getting to the stage that I can't ignore it anymore. A human doesn't become invisible to people who don't know love. Even her own twisted logic doesn't add up; if Beatrice is invisible to those without love, why can Kannon see her when he admits to being furniture and without it? Why am I even buying into this logic about a being that can't be seen unless you have the loving power of friendship.

Okay, rant aside, time for analysis. Assuming this is being shown to us for a reason other than driving me up the wall, what are we supposed to learn here? Beatrice is stuck on the island because of Kinzo for some reason, and is trying to regain her power so she can leave. Does this mean that Beatrice has to kill everyone before she can leave for some reason?

The first idea that comes to mind is that Beatrice is literally a prisoner on the island, who the servants secretly tend to. Maybe she befriends Shannon in order for her to set Beatrice free, which leads to the murders? I would say that maybe everyone needs to die so that she can bury her past or something, but this scene suggests that Kinzo doesn't know she's even there. How can you have a prisoner you don't even know about?

Final note, thank you Kannon for not indulging Beatrice's bullshit. Shannon is to Beatrice what the rest of the servants were to Maria last episode.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

vector_to posted:

if Beatrice is invisible to those without love, why can Kannon see her when he admits to being furniture and without it? Why am I even buying into this logic about a being that can't be seen unless you have the loving power of friendship.
It's pretty obvious that Kannon cares about Shannon and her well-being. I think it's part of the reason he chased the murderer during Episode 1.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Man, Battler is going to have a hard time proving that witches don't exist anymore after this episode.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

oath2order posted:

Just to understand your arguement, do you think Beatrice killed no one in the last episode, or is it that she killed bunch but there was also another culprit?

Well, I'm not entirely sold that Beatrice has done anything, really- she took credit for "teaching Shannon love" and bringing her and George together, but there were clearly feelings between them before, and George (like all the kids) really doesn't seem as enthused about enforcing the line between servants and masters, so that might have happened with or without her influence. Same with the deaths: it could well be that she didn't kill anyone... but there are some really suspicious deaths (like Eva/Hideyoshi, Kanon, Natsuhi) that we haven't figured out yet, so if, I say if, there is in fact some weird, trapped spirit that only a few people can see who ran around giving Battler wet willies whist Maria giggles, I don't suppose we can rule her out as a suspect.

But Shannon? I don't think that was here. The circumstances of he death, however, taking with everyone else we know... what if it was Eva? If she knew about her dates with George, that would be suitable motive to protect her son... and if she was found by Shannon outside Natsuhi trying to break in, well...

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Wow. Battler has a lot of work cut out from him in order to save everyone from what's becoming a mass delusion among the servants. Its so strange that Shannon would think that an illusionary being was helping her with her relationship when in reality it can easily be explained by her own romantic efforts. We still haven't seen any real magic other than the disappearing and reappearing of the witch which can bee explained by mass hallucinations. Maybe there's a natural gas leak on the island, or they're eaten bad mackerel, or they use exclusively mercury plumbing...

It seems that the orphanage has really done a number on those kids! I'm sure with the amount of stress they go through on a daily basis, coupled with the fact that they're wholly dependent on their abusers and trapped on a small island probably isn't doing wonders for their mental health as we can see here.

E: I said mercury? for some reason? I think I meant lead. Though mercury is also bad for you.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 19, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

Man, Battler is going to have a hard time proving that witches don't exist anymore after this episode.

Well it did say so

quote:

The difficulty level is first-rate. The Witch plans to make you surrender in an instant.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

Wow. Battler has a lot of work cut out from him in order to save everyone from what's becoming a mass delusion among the servants. Its so strange that Shannon would think that an illusionary being was helping her with her relationship when in reality it can easily be explained by her own romantic efforts. We still haven't seen any real magic other than the disappearing and reappearing of the witch which can bee explained by mass hallucinations. Maybe there's a natural gas leak on the island, or they're eaten bad mackerel, or they use exclusively mercury plumbing...

It seems that the orphanage has really done a number on those kids! I'm sure with the amount of stress they go through on a daily basis, coupled with the fact that they're wholly dependent on their abusers and trapped on a small island probably isn't doing wonders for their mental health as we can see here.

Yeah, I think at this point it is pretty clear that the Ushiromiya family does not treat their servants very well.

Honestly, it really makes me question the morality of George's relationship with Shannon, given that he's part of a family that apparently trains children to think of themselves as property of the family, George included.

Obviously, Shanon does love george, but given the mentality there, is that really the healthiest relationship for her?

oath2order fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 19, 2016

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Making me surrender in an instant pretty harsh-sounding. Couldn't Beatrice make me something else, like pudding perhaps, in an instant instead?

Kinzo sure picked the wrong thing to make a contract with a witch over. If he had asked for pudding instead of gold, Beatrice would have nothing to murder his family over, and he could be spending the rest of his life savoring the flavor of that wonderful night of hellishly good pudding. Problem solved.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I think an important takeaway from this update is that sometimes witches are really bad at metaphors. Also I wonder if Beatrice is hungry because she keeps coming up with food metaphors that don't really work.

Also I kind of like Kanon not trusting Beatrice but then he goes into his screed about how furniture isn't human and just ugh.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah, Kanon's been seriously hosed up by his time in the orphanage. He clearly wants to help Shannon, but his worldview is so warped by abuse that he keeps returning to what his abusers taught him.

...Is it ever stated how old he is? Because to me he reads as a bit younger than the main group of kids. That could be a factor in his reactions.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Like Clockwork posted:

...Is it ever stated how old he is? Because to me he reads as a bit younger than the main group of kids. That could be a factor in his reactions.

Jessica confirmed his age at 16 a couple updates into EP1.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

Jessica confirmed his age at 16 a couple updates into EP1.

Odd, I thought kanon was younger than shannon, who is also 16.

For reference, Jessica is 17, Battler is 18, and George is 22-23ish.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

oath2order posted:

Odd, I thought kanon was younger than shannon, who is also 16.

For reference, Jessica is 17, Battler is 18, and George is 22-23ish.

I thought Jessica was also stated to be 18.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

John Lee posted:

Might I direct you to the thread title, gentleperson? :colbert:

Gentlewoman.
And to clarify, I dislike the lovey dovey syrupy stuff, I am back to being intrigued by the last couple of updates.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Kanon is 14.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

EagerSleeper posted:

Kanon is 14.

I'm pretty sure he's confirmed 16 in the opening section of ep 1 alone.

Also, on the subject of Kanon, you're all missing out on his permanent waiter-arm that he had in the original game. It's just not the same without his arm awkwardly jutting out at a perfect right angle at all times.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

okay so for real, I am so used to the waiter arm that I literally didn't noticed he wasn't doing it until you mentioned it just now (though in my defense I'm only skimming updates)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I just want to clarify something here: is the goal here to prove that the killings could have happened by means other than magic, or is the goal to prove that witches don't exist? Because I'm having a legit hard time trying to figure out how to explain the latter, considering Kinzo's pathetic breakdown (again).

• Locked thread