Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I heard an info war nut callin to the NPR station I listen to spam info war.

"So dogs are cool, and now let's go to listener questions about dogs..."

"THELIZARDPEOPLERIGGEDTHEELECTIONCLINTONSGOINGTOGOSUPERLIZARDGODSSJGODINFOWARSDOTCOMTHELIZARDPEOPLERIGGEDTHEELECT-"

"okay. Next."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Levantine posted:

Jesus Christ - who is that comic even for?

Middle-aged assholes who monitor their coworkers' use of sick days so that they can gossip behind their backs about how the kids these days/women/blacks/THE OTHERS just aren't dedicated enough to their work because they don't forswear the use of time off to meet the standards of the Protestant Work Ethic.

There's been one literally every place I've ever worked, it's not a small demographic. I pretty much always use all of my sick/personal days over the course of a year because they're, you know, a thing I'm contractually entitled to, and I never fail to get poo poo from somebody at some point.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 19, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

Middle-aged assholes who monitor their coworkers' use of sick days so that they can gossip behind their backs about how the kids these days/women/blacks/THE OTHERS just aren't dedicated enough to their work because they don't forswear the use of time off to meet the standards of the Protestant Work Ethic.

There's been one literally every place I've ever worked, it's not a small demographic. I pretty much always use all of my sick/personal days over the course of a year because they're, you know, a thing I'm contractually entitled to, and I never fail to get poo poo from somebody at some point.

It's pay. Not taking time off is like taking a voluntary pay cut.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Radish posted:

I dunno how bad Chickweed Lane is but after Dilbert endorsed the idea of vacations being for losers that don't work hard enough this year that's gotta be pretty bad.

9 Chickweed Lane is about a horny mother, daughter, and grandma, who aggressively pursue sex with nerdy men. The last time I followed comics, it was 6 months into a flashback to the grandma's World War II backstory, where she was part of the French resistance and had sex with a soldier over and over, in public, usually to distract horny Nazi soldiers who were trying to kill them but were too distracted by the sex.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

It's pay. Not taking time off is like taking a voluntary pay cut.

Yes, this is my view as well, but good luck convincing some people that taking "unnecessary" time off isn't a moral failing. By the way, it's only "necessary" if you literally, physically cannot work.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

Yes, this is my view as well, but good luck convincing some people that taking "unnecessary" time off isn't a moral failing. By the way, it's only "necessary" if you literally, physically cannot work.

This idea is actually NOT repugnant in industries (with unions) or certain states where PTO rolls over and can be cashed out.

But those places are getting more and more rare. Not taking time off and cashing out a loving year of paid leave or just loving cash at your retirement can be a pretty rad thing to do, if you are the kind of person who actually likes working.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 19, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

This idea is actually NOT repugnant in industries (with unions) or certain states where PTO rolls over and can be cashed out.

But those places are getting more and more rare. Not taking time off and cashing out a loving year of paid leave or just loving cash at your retirement can be a pretty rad thing to do, if you are the kind of person who actually likes working.

Er no it's still gross to judge people based on time off in those situations. How you choose to receive your compensation should not have a moral dimension to it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The way I get around people complaining about me using sick days/vacation days is that I come in to work but barely do anything so they have to pick up my slack.

I've had promotions and raises because of this.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wait, but how can I look down on someone if taking vacation time isn't a moral decision!?!?!?

Seriously though, anyone who is "I don't see the point of vacation days" is a boring motherfucker with no aspirations or hobbies other than brown nosing and gossiping like a schoolchild.

I actually take that back because schoolchildren used to gossip about secrets in Nintendo games, and that's actually Cool and Good.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My uncle was a lieutenant for a city police department in Wyoming and had accumulated more than a year's worth of sick days because they would roll over. He only started using it in his last couple of years when he needed time off for his skin cancer treatment. After he retired, he went on to work part-time at the airport doing groundskeeping. It was also a city job, but they tried to get him to quit and be rehired after one hour so that all of his sick time that was saved up would be erased.

Meanwhile, my mother works for the school district as a classified employee and the State of Wyoming doesn't have PTO roll over year after year. But, they do have something called a sick bank where you can donate your own unused sick days to someone else if they need it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Where you might see a mountain of credible evidence to support your illusion, I see nothing but confirmation bias on your part.

Scott Adams unironically using that one Freep guy's "Your facts turn to lies in my head" line

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

Er no it's still gross to judge people based on time off in those situations. How you choose to receive your compensation should not have a moral dimension to it.

Yeah, don't judge people. I'm just saying there's REASONS why some people might not take PTO.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Chilichimp posted:

fuckin' lol if you think high school teaches you either of those things

Mine probably taught budgeting in any of the accounting classes that it offered. I spent most of my elective classes on multimedia and art, so I don't know. Though I did take home ec :v:

Learning not to take a picture of your dick and let it get loose on the Internet or forgetting that Google likes to have settings like backing up your pictures on your phone to your Google Pictures account on by default, where someone might see it, is something you learn by hearing about how it happened to someone else and what the consequences were. And sometimes that story ends with: "Officer, the cuffs are hurting me."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

My uncle was a lieutenant for a city police department in Wyoming and had accumulated more than a year's worth of sick days because they would roll over. He only started using it in his last couple of years when he needed time off for his skin cancer treatment. After he retired, he went on to work part-time at the airport doing groundskeeping. It was also a city job, but they tried to get him to quit and be rehired after one hour so that all of his sick time that was saved up would be erased.

Meanwhile, my mother works for the school district as a classified employee and the State of Wyoming doesn't have PTO roll over year after year. But, they do have something called a sick bank where you can donate your own unused sick days to someone else if they need it.

Generally, this is used by women who have babies because FMLA doesn't guarantee pay. It's super common in the teaching profession.

Also, your uncle seems cool, but small cities go bankrupt paying out sick-day bills like that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm just going to assume anyone who views PTO as a moral failing doesn't actually work that hard at their job which is why they don't feel like they need it. I figure that's a fair trade of negative assumptions.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm just going to assume anyone who views PTO as a moral failing doesn't actually work that hard at their job which is why they don't feel like they need it. I figure that's a fair trade of negative assumptions.

It's the opposite in my experience. The managers that hate people that take time off have been the ones that are single, no social life, and stay at work until 9PM every night types.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My manager hates it when I take time off because then he has to work instead of researching hiking backpacks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Radish posted:

Yeah but it USED to be the rear end in a top hat boss asking Dilbert to do poo poo like that while he quietly suffers then bitches to Dogbert or something. NOW it's Dilbert saying that to the idiot vacation-haver while being smug about it.

What the hell? I haven't read Dilbert in forever but wasn't it supposed to be about the stupid poo poo Dilbert experienced in a depressing existence as a cubicle worker?

Did Dilbert get a promotion to middle management and turn into everything he hated? That's a hell of a story arch for a newspaper comic strip.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

bad news bareback posted:

It's the opposite in my experience. The managers that hate people that take time off have been the ones that are single, no social life, and stay at work until 9PM every night types.

Luckily assumptions don't need to be based on reality, so we can just keep saying they're the type of person I described anyways.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Did Dilbert get a promotion to middle management and turn into everything he hated? That's a hell of a story arch for a newspaper comic strip.

His creator did.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A sick bank, really? Christ that's just loving vile. Sick days are not some super strict commodity that are limited by how many tons can be dug up out of the sick day mines per year or something. I shouldn't be surprised because gently caress capitalism but holy balls.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Shut the gently caress up, Scott Adams.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

STAC Goat posted:

What the hell? I haven't read Dilbert in forever but wasn't it supposed to be about the stupid poo poo Dilbert experienced in a depressing existence as a cubicle worker?

The whole point of Dilbert used to be that Dilbert's career sucked. The old Dilbert wouldn't have talked about his "career" except sarcastically.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Doesn't Google and several other million and billion $ corps have data that proves vacation is good?

Not to mention the work cultures of different countries were places like the US and Japan put in more hours but don't actually produce anything more/better than countries that do a as many hours?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The thing about PTO is that the same people that oppose it (hardcore capitalist/bust your rear end constantly/anti-union types) are the ones that always advocate spending more time with your kids, raising your family, attending church etc. American workers get less time off than almost every other industrialized country in the world and are also more productive but the meme seems to be that if you take more than 10 days off in a given year, you're a lazy freeloader.

Sure, boss. I'll bust my ass10 hours a day 6 days a week and miss my kid growing up and his first kindergarten graduation. Then he'll grow up to be a resentful, misguided rear end in a top hat because I never got to spend time with him and you can blame me for bad parenting.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
My dad moved to Texas a couple of years ago and the right wing media worm finally ate his brain. He sent me rolls of silver in case the economy collapses and America descends into apocalypse and I need to 'barter' my way south.

Also, where does one sell silver? I'm going to donate the money to SPLC or RAINN or somebody. This is bumming me out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

i am the bird posted:

My dad moved to Texas a couple of years ago and the right wing media worm finally ate his brain. He sent me rolls of silver in case the economy collapses and America descends into apocalypse and I need to 'barter' my way south.

Also, where does one sell silver? I'm going to donate the money to SPLC or RAINN or somebody. This is bumming me out.

My understanding is you don't sell it, at least not with any ease. I've been led to believe the entire "buy gold/silver" scam is built on the reality that you can buy it easily online but no one will want to buy it back until the world ends.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

i am the bird posted:

Is it silver dollars/coins or pieces of silver?

Coins you can usually sell at a coin shop, otherwise try to find a place that will give you scrap value for the silver.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My only experience with this is my first generation Chinese mother in law. She thinks taking time off even if you're bleeding from your eyes as just laziness. I took a annual day last week because I'd lose it if it wasn't used. She couldn't understand why I didn't want to be at work. It's just not even something she can comprehend.

People that didn't grow up in communist China, I have no answer for that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fade5 posted:

Silver dollars/coins or pieces of silver?

Coins you can usually sell at a coin shop, otherwise try to find a place that will give you scrap value for the silver.

There's also a very real possibility that it isn't actually silver.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
They are those dumb "walking liberty" coins that you can buy from any of those websites that sell on radio/TV. I should've made it more clear that I don't actually think they're worth anything (obviously not as currency but also almost assuredly not as raw silver or whatever).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommieGIR posted:

His creator did.

Scott Adams was never an engineer. He was in marketing.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

i am the bird posted:

If you have 30 pieces you can start a new religion

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also a very real possibility that it isn't actually silver.

At least he got a piece of metal(? a real physical object?) instead of a certificate/piece of paper that says "yeah we have this warehouse that you can come to and get your metal."

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

i am the bird posted:

They are those dumb "walking liberty" coins that you can buy from any of those websites that sell on radio/TV. I should've made it more clear that I don't actually think they're worth anything (obviously not as currency but also almost assuredly not as raw silver or whatever).

Take them to a gun show and sell them to some other crazy. That's the only way you will get close to what your dad paid. Look up one of those websites to find out what their prices are.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Sounds like you just deface one of the sides (probably revealing the nickel that is undoubtably surfaced with silver) and go as Tea Party Twoface for Halloween.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Veteran cartoonist fails to understand that a public corporation is answerable only to shareholders, not a SecState four years removed from office.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

My understanding is you don't sell it, at least not with any ease. I've been led to believe the entire "buy gold/silver" scam is built on the reality that you can buy it easily online but no one will want to buy it back until the world ends.

gold/silver metal hoarding isn't a scam, it's just a dumb thing to spend your money on. unless you get a certificate for the metal that you can redeem in person at some warehouse, that is 100% a scam

gold/silver coins are a scam, because they sell you a $20 commemorative coin that has like $4 worth of actual metal in it, and the face value of the coin is worthless because it's not legal tender. but i can write $100 on a metal disc and sell it to suckers, that's legal

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

i am the bird posted:

Eh, they're worth something but probably not nearly as much as was paid for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ceiling fan posted:

Take them to a gun show and sell them to some other crazy. That's the only way you will get close to what your dad paid. Look up one of those websites to find out what their prices are.
Judging by a quick look at E-Bay, looks like people are paying 15-20 bucks a coin:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/walking-liberty-silver-dollar

So yeah, go ahead and check if they're real silver; if they are real then by all means go sell the coins to idiots at a gun show for $20 bucks a pop and donate the money to RAINN.

Idiot money spends just as well as regular money, RAINN will be happy to take it.:v: