Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Crystal Braves is mainly used as a character development crutch for Alphinaud. At the end of 3.4 he's generally likeable when he's not a pompous child!

Yeah, this. Before the Crystal Braves, Alphinaud is pretty much Mr. Perfect. The Crystal Braves storyline shows that despite his eloquence and perceived maturity, he is still a child in many respects and has room to grow. The losses from the storyline (Wilred :( ) are completely on his head, and he knows that. And then throughout Heavensward his faults are built on when he stands next to Estinien. Estinien, taking a big brother-like role, works with Alphinaud and at the end Alphinaud comes out looking much stronger.

I like Alphinaud and I think that these things are good examples of how they turn his character around, to make him look like a much more real person.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have absolutely no idea at all how to play with a controller. I wouldn't know where to start. I don't have to start though so I'm okay with it.

The market for easily attainable but decent selling materia is kinda dead on Gregamesh recently. I gotta get a new easy earner. :smith:

That's reasonable. I mean, from the opposite end of the spectrum, I can't imagine playing with KB+M. I see my girlfriend play that way all the time and it just looks alien and overly involved to me. It's mostly different strokes for different folks, and that's chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Grimace posted:

I like Alphinaud and I think that these things are good examples of how they turn his character around, to make him look like a much more real person.

They should have just put him in charge of a city state and then corrupted him and made him an end game raid boss. Then at the end of the fight, Minfilia could come in and stop us from killing him. Then, he would escape to an alternate past of Eorzea and in the thrilling finale, Minfilia would kill him in a cutscene while we watched.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think they really missed a great opportunity to have Tactics-style mission reports from your squadron recruits. It's a shame that they have nothing to say at all, and I'm glad that got brought up at fanfest.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Just the mere thought that Final Fantasy XIV's story might be given the WoW treatment in terms of plot beats and production makes me sweat with fear and anger.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

The Grimace posted:

This is where I stand on Alphinaud as well. I mean, he's a naive teenager that thinks he's figured it all out and can save the world, like so many naive teenagers tend to feel. He's just in the unfortunate position of being able to implement those grand plans and watch them turn into ash when reality catches up. Sure it made him an obnoxious little twit in 2.x, but it meant we get to watch him grow up a bit as he reflects on his mistakes.

Also it's fun to watch everyone dunk on him.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Matoya assuming he was a girl was the best

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Conskill posted:

32. FFXIV can be configured to accept L2 + R2 and R2 + L2 (depending on which you hit first) as separate trays. I've found 32 + 8 (one hotswapped tray for things I don't hit often, like Sprint and Chocobo) to be sufficient, and with practice it's a lot easier on my wrists than alt-r and other random keystrokes I was doing before.

But KB + M is perfectly usable and I did it for hundreds of hours before switching at a friend's suggestion, so I'm willing to say it comes down to personal preference in the end.

The biggest advantage I find with controllers is more precise movement while also hitting buttons to keep skill rotations moving optimally. You certainly can do that on KBM if you have practice, but I just find controllers so much easier to thread between AoE markers on the ground in a hectic fight while keeping a rotation up then if I was doing the same thing with a keyboard.

I find KBM gets it's biggest advantage on jobs where there's more mouse targeting (i.e.: ground AoEs, moving pets around) and buttons to hit. Healers come to mind, Scholars especially. Meanwhile any class which has a primary rotation plus associated additional skills feels more intuitive on a controller.

That said, 10 years of playing FFXI and Tera with controllers has given me waaaay more muscle memory for that method of play over keyboards. I'm sure if I had spent that time on keyboards it'd be just as easy for me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

They should have just put him in charge of a city state and then corrupted him and made him an end game raid boss. Then at the end of the fight, Minfilia could come in and stop us from killing him. Then, he would escape to an alternate past of Eorzea and in the thrilling finale, Minfilia would kill him in a cutscene while we watched.

Nice fanfic but doing any of this would require Minfilia do more than get captured at the beginning of the story which is a hell of a stretch.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The biggest advantage of controllers is less carpal tunnel syndrome if playing for several hours at a time, really.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have no idea how people with controllers used standard controls to dodge aoe. That whole deal that you go super slow when going backwards is baffling to me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like Alphinaud, he's a young idealist who was way too naive and hosed up big time, and he was humbled as a result. Now everyone treats him more like the overeager kid he is. It's good character development.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 19, 2016

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Verranicus posted:

So the rewards for the level 40 squadron missions suck, but I just found out you can only do one of them per -week-? Why? You can't sell them and most of them are outright useless, what possible reason could they have for limiting this?

I figure it's best to just stock up on the experience scrolls for stormblood. Pop em for dungeons.

Tae posted:

I have no idea how people with controllers used standard controls to dodge aoe. That whole deal that you go super slow when going backwards is baffling to me.

With the auto attack change, theres not really a reason to not use legacy controls now, unless you really like that backing up animation.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 19, 2016

slev
Apr 6, 2009

My favorite thing from the last patch is when Alphinaud's sister makes fun of him and he's like "Please, not in front of the warrior of light!" Like he just wants to impress us all the time.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Nice fanfic but doing any of this would require Minfilia do more than get captured at the beginning of the story which is a hell of a stretch.

If Minfilia being an ineffective damsel in distress is the cost to save us from a terrible WoW plot, I'll pay it gladly.

Though it is not my coin to pay.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone uploaded a nice Sophia Ex 4 man to YT, via Reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHYFm-3sVhE

Makes you realise how bad pubbies can be (I would consider myself bad too, to be fair)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tae posted:

Bind target lock to L3, press in on the stick when a big aoe comes out to unlock, run out, press the stick in again to re-lock once you are safely out of range.

I don't even notice myself doing it any more, it just happens.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the most i was ever invested in WOW's plot was when i read some theory about the old gods being arranged in a pentagram over the continents and there was some evil thing in the middle in that big dumb swirl in the middle of the map

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zinkraptor posted:

I think WoW's story kind of has the opposite problem of FFXIV's, in that the overarching story of each expansion is usually kind of bad but the individual storylines for zones and less-important questlines are usually pretty memorable (Example - Spires of Arak was arguably the best story zone in WoD, yet also one least connected to WoD's main plotline). Legion in particular has been pretty good at introducing smaller characters who have a lot of personality, even if they actually have a very small role and sometimes even flat out die or disappear from the game after a couple of quests (Rumas is probably the most notable). I think this is because the higher-ups at Blizzard aren't very good at storytelling (by which I mean Metzan isn't very good at storytelling), but they have a lot of other writers and employees who have a chance to shine when a plotline isn't deemed "crucial" enough for his direct intervention.

FFXIV focuses pretty much all of its efforts on the main plotlines, so they don't really do as many side stories while leveling in general. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean the side characters and questgivers often don't really add much new to the setting. The big events and cutscenes are usually great, but during the quests you do to get there, there are a lot of "camera pans around for several minutes while a voiceless character verbosely explains some stuff you probably already knew" moments.

Legion has been doing SOMEWHAT better with the "big stories", since the closest thing to a "main story questline" in the game right now is the Suramar stuff, which is pretty good. That said, the Illidan questline's story is so unbelievably stupid that it's hard to say they've really "improved". Metzan recently retired, which'll hopefully help in the future, at least.

The reality is that Metzen has never had half as much of a hand in things as people think. It's easy to point the finger at him because he's a public figure but you don't get, for example, Turalyon and Alleria being totally forgotten in TBC because one person forgot about them. The whole writing staff forgot about them or didn't care. Blizzard as a whole just doesn't care that much about storytelling.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Captain Oblivious posted:

The reality is that Metzen has never had half as much of a hand in things as people think. It's easy to point the finger at him because he's a public figure but you don't get, for example, Turalyon and Alleria being totally forgotten in TBC because one person forgot about them. The whole writing staff forgot about them or didn't care. Blizzard as a whole just doesn't care that much about storytelling.

The worst parts of WoW's storytelling (Thrall's central focus, the entire universe warping around Thrall) are almost entirely Metzen, though. As is the way Garrosh got turned from a honorable hardass to Orc Hitler (who you kill in Downfall!).

Metzen is really bad at what he does, and I always got the sense that people simply did not like saying no to him.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I really want SE to do more Postmoogle quests, because those went a long way towards fleshing out minor characters.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

Um, excuse me, she also turns around and runs off for no reason in sewers :colbert:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Niton posted:

As is the way Garrosh got turned from a honorable hardass to Orc Hitler (who you kill in Downfall!).

Except you don't kill him though.

The story of Garrosh is stupid as gently caress and emblematic of everything wrong with WoW's storytelling. After he's become orc hitler and the final expansion raid boss is Garrosh, Thrall stops you from killing him. He escapes back in time to an alternate history to gently caress things up. Then in a quest cutscene, you get to see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD84gUs0nfo

:rolleye:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Niton posted:

The worst parts of WoW's storytelling (Thrall's central focus, the entire universe warping around Thrall) are almost entirely Metzen, though. As is the way Garrosh got turned from a honorable hardass to Orc Hitler (who you kill in Downfall!).

Metzen is really bad at what he does, and I always got the sense that people simply did not like saying no to him.

This is mostly a distortion tbh. People point ro Thrall and Metzens love of Thrall as the root of all evil but that simply isn't born out by the facts. Thrall is a hands off background character for vanilla through Wrath, takes on his much reviled mary sue persona in Cataclysm, does basically fuckall in Mists, has basically zero presence in WoD until Justice for Thrall and now is back to irrelevance in Legion. Guess what, WoW is still blitheringly stupid even during all the periods where Thrall is irrelevant.

Metzen isn't the disease he's a symptom. If you expect things to suddenly change just because he's gone then I've got a bridge to sell you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WoW is dumb. It has always been dumb. That's kind of its thing. It's dumb and colorful and big and you're not supposed to think about it very hard.

That said, I don't enjoy it very much. I think it does a good job of making its areas visually interesting, though, if you like its more cartoonish art style.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I use the normal controls with the slow back away because what is camera manipulation.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AweStriker posted:

I use the normal controls with the slow back away because what is camera manipulation.

I use legacy because moving out of an aoe shouldn't take 2 analog sticks to do properly

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FF14 has the opposite problem, where it isn't big when it needs to be big. Right after the game world opens up to all three cities, there's a big cutscene where you see the Empire, and their impressive machinery, and their big floating dragon thing on a balloon. And then... you're back to doing chores for people. 14 has a lot of great moments, but they're mostly in little individual bits of writing. It doesn't have any sort of story curve. It never ramps up. It will for a cutscene, and then it's "now kill six crocodiles, so I trust you, and then I will turn myself into the authorities." And that's not just in sidequests. It's the main storyline. The main quests are never any bigger or more important than side quests. Even a lot of dungeons are just chores, like Brayfox's Longstop. Not chores in that they're unfun, but chores in that your character is literally having their time wasted, sometimes explicitly.

And there's a lot of quests like that, even at high levels. I'm supposed to be going off to rescue people, and I do a whole bunch of quests to get a particular kind of stone, and then "whoops, it's the wrong kind, sorry." This happens a lot. The game's quest pacing is really bad.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Still, can you blame people for focusing on Metzen and Thrall? He's the carbuncle everyone focuses on because it's the most obvious and glaring example people can point at.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Still, can you blame people for focusing on Metzen and Thrall? He's the carbuncle everyone focuses on because it's the most obvious and glaring example people can point at.
So he's a topaz carbuncle?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

And then Urianger will banish Minfilia back to the first world, drawing the game to it's well deserved joyful conclusion.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, he would have been but his Father drank the Allegan Feljuice and turned into a Ruby Carbuncle, which in turn caused Thrall to be born as an Emerald Carbuncle.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Someone uploaded a nice Sophia Ex 4 man to YT, via Reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHYFm-3sVhE

Makes you realise how bad pubbies can be (I would consider myself bad too, to be fair)

Now I feel like when Bleu emasculates me ("if Ciaphas can do SophEX you can" and the like) he has a point :smith:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

FF14 has the opposite problem, where it isn't big when it needs to be big. Right after the game world opens up to all three cities, there's a big cutscene where you see the Empire, and their impressive machinery, and their big floating dragon thing on a balloon. And then... you're back to doing chores for people. 14 has a lot of great moments, but they're mostly in little individual bits of writing. It doesn't have any sort of story curve. It never ramps up. It will for a cutscene, and then it's "now kill six crocodiles, so I trust you, and then I will turn myself into the authorities." And that's not just in sidequests. It's the main storyline. The main quests are never any bigger or more important than side quests. Even a lot of dungeons are just chores, like Brayfox's Longstop. Not chores in that they're unfun, but chores in that your character is literally having their time wasted, sometimes explicitly.

And there's a lot of quests like that, even at high levels. I'm supposed to be going off to rescue people, and I do a whole bunch of quests to get a particular kind of stone, and then "whoops, it's the wrong kind, sorry." This happens a lot. The game's quest pacing is really bad.

On the one hand I can assure you that this problem you're describing starts to turn around, the writers' and localizers' large-story-telling abilities vastly improve as you approach and enter Heavensward content

But on the other it never really goes away, and from where I'm guessing you are (late 30s/early 40s?) it's not going to start letting up for a long while

Sorry :smith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

On the one hand I can assure you that this problem you're describing starts to turn around, the writers' and localizers' large-story-telling abilities vastly improve as you approach and enter Heavensward content

But on the other it never really goes away, and from where I'm guessing you are (late 30s/early 40s?) it's not going to start letting up for a long while

It's honestly not a huge problem. It just makes FF14 remind me more of a Dragon Quest game than an FF game. The only real pacing problems I've seen are the quests leading up to Titan, and everything at the Coerthas Highlands, although that's really my fault for staying around to sidequest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Titan is far and away the most egregious bad pacing example, though the 2.1-2.5 stuff might rank up there (I did it while it was relevant so I can't really say what it's like to do it all at once).

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Ciaphas posted:

Someone up above had the appropriate sentiment: FFXIV is not art, but it's certainly on top of the genre. Like, I wouldn't go through the Titan and Garuda plotlines again unless Squeenix paid me, but those low points aside I genuinely do like the story and especially the metaphysics (what primals are, how life/death works, etc) of the setting. I also think that Heavensward was a pretty massive step up in quality.

It doesn't ever stop being a JRPG/MMO monster, but I don't think it needs to stop being one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The direct lead-up to Garuda (not the whole sidequest to get the enterprise) is by far the worst part and I went from 2.0 to 3.4 in a few months so it's all fresh in my mind.

Literal "Wow, that thing you fetched for me doesn't do anything. Uh, what about this crystal?"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can't disagree. On the upside, the game stops having those issues not far from where you are :unsmith:

They did indeed learn from their mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah thinking back Garuda's lead-up is staggeringly awful and doesn't even have the amusing jokey music/dialogue at the feast pre-Titan to save it

At least the rest of 2.0 after Garuda goes down (spoilers) was quite good, though I can't speak for what it's like to go through 2.1-2.55 after it's not on content

• Locked thread