Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah if there's one thing these puzzles aren't known for it's being obtuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Viruswithshoes posted:

It's a nice idea but a bit obtuse. Something that distinctive would surely be better replicated in the drawing

I agree, but we dont really know whether its a case of poor execution or that he didnt want it to be so obvious. In this case its fine to reject my isolated comparison. Maybe theres something else hiding in that side by side perspective splicing.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Overlapping the image at a perfect 90-degree (45-degree with a mirror) on the point in the horizon where the dune contacts the edge gives a lot more of a contour match to the Atropos Key sculpture.

Hermann Rorschach?

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 31, 2016

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Dude, I've loved your theories from the start but you've gotta admit that this is unrealistically obtuse. Don't start going meta on us!

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

It's cool if you're just a part-time fan. ;)

The thing I get tired of is how people don't quite get it when it comes to filtering out the internet-era point of view. It's a given that our best tools for sharing our ideas will be "tainted" by internet use, GUI based transcription, etc., but let's not get lost in the Heisenberg uncertainty of it all. Just because I'm using GIMP to show you an exact 45 degree rotation, followed by a cut and paste horizontal-flip, doesn't mean Byron Preiss wouldn't be able to create a visual puzzle of this complexity.

So let's understand that my reproduction or meta of this situation is in reality nothing more than holding a mirror to an illustration. Mad Magazine did a similar more complex arrangement of such image manipulation in their classic fold-in'sfor many many years prior to the publication of the Secret. Example: https://youtu.be/vuSlejnid1A

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 5, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is cool as all hell, gently caress

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I did it guys I found it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
False alarm. Turns out it was just a poop, from my butt.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The one in New Orleans is most likely not buried under ground or is buried in a area that has different soil or is higher ground. The reason people don't bury things in New Orleans is that there is to much water in the ground as it is so things just float to the surface when it rains. If he did bury it in the City proper its probably gone because of the flooding with Katrina.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Katrina is surely a factor to take into consideration. In the example of Clevelands difficult 4+ hour recovery at a spot which retained a lot of water from rainfall and had plant growrh, its clear that the caque may have shifted position. The box is fairly small and not especially heavy. It has some air space in it, so its conceivable that a heavily water saturated area, especially a dirt only area would impede the recovery.

If anyone here wants to head a GPR scan of my proposed spot in NOLA, I'm willing to front the funds and per diem.

This spot:

Mote the letter V in PROVINCIAS might be a reference point as the letter V in PRESERVATION is directly at 12 o'clock,

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 7, 2016

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Image 7 Verse 2: New Orleans

I think the V being pointed out by the 12-hands means "go straight to where the V points". The V points directly to a spot on the ground a few feet to the left of the plaque.

The yellow line is a spot exactly fifteen measures distant in terms of the stairs just to the left. Someone could verify this with respect to either the tread or rise using a tape measure.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 14, 2016

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Image 11 Verse 3: Boston

There is evidence that the green street light tower is a replacement from the old one that stood just a few feet away in the middle of the brick pave. I believe its a critical part of the puzzle, fortunately we have the old 2009 Google street view to prove that displacement.

I have a dramatically improved theory on Boston since 2012. The last line "in truth, be free" is subtle as heck. It is telling us to look for a very specific "T" (T for truth) and find the backwards S symbol on the Somerset building's iron gate where the vertical green light tower intersects it like a dollar sign "$". The idea is that a reverse $ means "free". Someone needs to dig in that spot between two globe light posts on the inside of the low fence line. Its just five steps in from the small fence gate that faces the water.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Urban Smurf posted:

It's cool if you're just a part-time fan. ;)

I'm a full time fan, fwiw

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Earlier this year I printed all the images on 8.5"x11" glossy photo paper and hung them on a wall at a local cafe to see what kind of attention they would get. It was a fun interactive experiment inviting people to write on the boards and post-it their ideas.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Urban Smurf posted:

Earlier this year I printed all the images on 8.5"x11" glossy photo paper and hung them on a wall at a local cafe to see what kind of attention they would get. It was a fun interactive experiment inviting people to write on the boards and post-it their ideas.

That's neat. They are pretty cool pictures if you're into that late 80's dungeons and dragons aesthetic.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Urban Smurf posted:

This is awesome. How many post its did you get?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

It was up for 30 days. The average age of the customers was over 50. Only 5 or so post-its went up in the form of questions or place suggestions. Roanoke's Elizabethan Gardens was the one.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I also left copies of various books on the tables. The Secret, Abroad in America, Atlas, Treasure Island, etc. Overall it didnt seem to achieve anything new. People kind of glanced over and squinted at it occasionally, then moved on.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 21, 2016

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Anyone interested in solving a 3 month old unsolved treasure hunt instead? I am local to a hunt going on with a $5000 prize to the winner (Grand Rapids, MI). Unfortunately, you have to pay to sign up, so I am not at liberty to post any of the clues here in public. The good news is, everything in the hunt is based on Google Maps, so the only "boots on the ground" required would be to retrieve the certificate that has the code on it to redeem the treasure.

Here's the link:

http://www.metroareatreasurehunts.com

Please note that I have no financial stake in the hunt other than the money I paid for the clues myself, and I am almost certain that the paywall discouraged participation, so there isn't a whole lot of competition.

Initial clues were released on Sept 22, and since nobody has found poo poo, the creator of the hunt released an additional hint for each of the 16 clues this past weekend. If anyone is serious, I would be happy to discuss financing access to the clues for serious participation and a reward for any information leading to the recovery of the prize. A solid resume of good posts in this thread is a plus. So if Xie is around, I will put my wrist on the line if he has any input. PM me for details.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 29, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Merlot Brougham posted:

Initial clues were released on Sept 22, and since nobody has found poo poo, the creator of the hunt released an additional hint for each of the 16 clues this past weekend. If anyone is serious, I would be happy to discuss financing access to the clues for serious participation and a reward for any information leading to the recovery of the prize.

Can you say how the clues are written? Do they deal with history, coordinates, landmarks, riddles, mathematics, or what?

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 29, 2016

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Can you say how the clues are written? Do they deal with history, coordinates, landmarks, riddles, mathematics, or what?

I'm not sure how much I can say publicly in the spirit of the game, but the guy who put everything together is a local math teacher, I believe at the high school level. If you notice his punny "Metro Area Treasure Hunts" = MATH, that gives you an idea where he's coming from.

Without going into too much detail, the individual clues are mostly based on wordplay and street names/landmarks. Some are precise directions that chain off of having figured out a previous clue. They seem to be grouped together in such a way that you need to find multiple locations and then use some basic geometry to pinpoint the location of the treasure (A certificate with some sort of code on it that you need in order to redeem the prize).

e: He sent out an email to those participating that the entire thing can be solved using google maps, which is a major reason I'm posting here. There is no requirement or expectation that you would have to physically visit a location in order to figure out the next clue or solve the puzzle.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 30, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Merlot Brougham posted:

e: He sent out an email to those participating that the entire thing can be solved using google maps, which is a major reason I'm posting here. There is no requirement or expectation that you would have to physically visit a location in order to figure out the next clue or solve the puzzle.

Interesting...

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Urban Smurf posted:

I don't talk about FL, but those who do act as if they are near certain. Using verse 9 and image 6 they have lots of dig strategies near palms and rocks and green picket fences. The owner of FOY is informed about the hunt and has entertained a lot of ideas and supported some digs, but he's really not cool with people doing things without very good justification and especially without first asking permission. The answer is usually "no". The main reason people don't talk much about it is that they are working quietly to dig without permission.

There are a group of locals quietly working on Florida. We are 100% certain of the location in a park (not the Fountain of youth) which was public but is now private. We have found an exact map of the park in the painting, as well as being able to easily explain the last few lines of the poem without any logical leaps or grand explanations. There is no doubt about this location. It is absolutely here somewhere. The owner allows us to dig, which we do bi weekly or so. The park is rather large and has changed a great deal since the 80's but we have narrowed it down to an area about the size of a tennis court.

A foot or so below the surface of this area is a layer of oyster shell, which makes probing the ground impossible, we are also worried that due to this being a high traffic area, the plexiglass box has collapsed and the ceramic is quite possibly broken. We have resorted to setting up a gird of sorts in the area and we dig 3 foot down in each section once every couple of weeks.

I can confidently say that the St. Augustine puzzle is solved. We just have to dig it up, and eventually we will.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

burnstyle posted:

There are a group of locals quietly working on Florida. We are 100% certain of the location in a park (not the Fountain of youth) which was public but is now private. We have found an exact map of the park in the painting, as well as being able to easily explain the last few lines of the poem without any logical leaps or grand explanations. There is no doubt about this location. It is absolutely here somewhere. The owner allows us to dig, which we do bi weekly or so. The park is rather large and has changed a great deal since the 80's but we have narrowed it down to an area about the size of a tennis court.

A foot or so below the surface of this area is a layer of oyster shell, which makes probing the ground impossible, we are also worried that due to this being a high traffic area, the plexiglass box has collapsed and the ceramic is quite possibly broken. We have resorted to setting up a gird of sorts in the area and we dig 3 foot down in each section once every couple of weeks.

I can confidently say that the St. Augustine puzzle is solved. We just have to dig it up, and eventually we will.

Great stuff! Can you post pictures from the next time you're out for a digging session?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

burnstyle posted:

We bought wrist guards.

Keep the faith diggers!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

burnstyle posted:

Amazing progress, document every dig with photos as if you expect to find it.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Since this thread seems to be gaining traction again, lets talk about some of the places the St. Augustine treasure SHOULD be, but isn't. Maybe going over it could spark some new ideas

#1 The back of the Howard Johnson

The back of the HoJo seems to fit with most of the location clues, there is a green picket fence-ish thing. It is a gate, which was at one point (and still kind of is) green, there is a tall tree, which is next to a downspout, near the downspout is a gas meter with a bunch of yearly inspection marks (tall tree, years pass, rain falls),and the pattern on the wall of the HoJo resembles the pattern on ponce in the painting.

But.... The ground back here is covered with old asphalt just under the surface of the soil, as well as heavy roots and plumbing for water sewer and gas. If the treasure were here we would never be able to find it.

These were taken tonight:

This is the general area behind that gate

This is a hole.... because you people insist on pictures of holes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Maybe it's buried under concrete like that Oak Island treasure

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
#2 The corner of Magnolia ave. and Myrtle

Here is an image, you are going to need it for reference.

This is the absolute, 100% most logical place for the treasure to be.... but it's not here.
I can tell you its not here because myself and several other people have dug this spot to death... we have literally dug the entire area up. Then after we dug it up, construction crews dug it up to install a new water main. So if it was here at one point... its not any more. Before all of that, in the mid 90's pepsi truck plowed through the back gates destroying the whole area, and this section was dug up, filled with oyster shells, and renovated.

nothing is here.

But I will tell you why it should be.

If you follow the poem, it leads you through the entrance of the FOY, around the park, then right out of the exit, which in the 80s was this gate.

the image has a couple of defined numbers (look at the red numbers in the reference image). 8 and 21 being the most prominent.

That big white house on the corner of magnolia and myrtle's address is 21 Myrtle. Wanna guess what the address of the house across from it is?

If you guessed 8 Myrtle you would be wrong. It's 8 Magnolia.

The only site clues we are given in the poem are
"Behind bending branches
And a green picket fence
At the base of a tall tree
Like moonlight in teardrops
Over the tall grass
Years pass, rain falls."

Look at this image
If it were this place, it could be behind bending branches by being at the end of magnolia (but thats a bit of a stretch)
The white fence around 21 Myrtle was green
The gate to 21 Myrtle has a very very odd shape, which resembles a shape in the painting (yellow circle)
The base of a tall tree could be that palm tree
The streetlamps are teardrop shaped which could be the moonlight in tear drops over the tall grass, because the streetlamp is literally right over that weird fern type plant.
The streetlamp has a crap load of those metal inspection plates on it for various years (years pass)
And its right behind a storm drain, which rain fall down.
There is also a giant pillar thing like in the painting (purple circle)
And the sidewalk has the same pattern as a section of the painting, it even has cracked edges just like the painting (black circle)

My guess was the treasure was in the middle of the storm drain, streetlamp, and palm tree.

But it's not there... seriously.

Here is another picture of a hole, right there, where it should be but isn't.

on a positive note, we did find remnants of an old flower bed at our main dig site, which is odd. We are talking about digging it up and checking it out.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Wait. TWO photos of holes and no reported wrist injuries? You are playing with fire.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
have you pathetic fuckers found anything yet?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

have you pathetic fuckers found anything yet?

Just Roanoke, but that was last year. Three down at least.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Herv posted:

Just Roanoke, but that was last year. Three down at least.

Uh what

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

stab posted:

Uh what

Dude. It was in all the papers for like, a week. Lowtax even tweeted about it. Just scroll back.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Calling bullshit on that one

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
If Roanoke was found, it sure as hell was never posted in this thread.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

If Roanoke was found, it sure as hell was never posted in this thread.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I found one in my bathtub. Surprised no one looked there before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Waltzing Along posted:

I found one in my bathtub. Surprised no one looked there before.

There has not ever been and never will be anything of value in your bath tub.