Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

Does the matchmaker prevent double support comps? I don't think I've ever been in a match in 2s with either side having two supports.

Also, my new pet peeve is people IMMEDIATELY ulting after getting the death orb, especially when it's 1v2. Most ults are super easy to for two people to avoid if not interrupt outright, and it typically leaves you in a bad postion with fewer options because you're at 0 energy.

Ive had it happen twice and Im guessing its a premade because when it happens its ALWAYS Pearl & Poloma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If it's not a premade, it's gonna be after one or both teams were in queue for around ~20m. Happens more often at the higher grades, where there's a dozen or so people on at any given moment.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Khorne posted:

So people who played before, still check the thread, but aren't playing much lately, are you waiting for the next patch?

Yeah I'm waiting for a patch. I really enjoy the game but it's unpolished right now and the outside-game UI has a lot of room for improvement.

The #1 thing I probably want is automated tournaments, more than new maps/heroes.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I'm waiting for the unranked matchmaking patch to drop.

Also, I'm hoping they fix the sound stuttering bug that occasionally appears.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ruzihm posted:

How would unranked matchmaking be different than ranked matchmaking? They'd presumably both use a rating system.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Brannock posted:

How would unranked matchmaking be different than ranked matchmaking? They'd presumably both use a rating system.

You don't visibly loose e-peen points, which pains many players.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

more like i don't want to ruin someone else's e peen when i'm trying out something new :shobon:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ruzihm posted:

Also, I'm hoping they fix the sound stuttering bug that occasionally appears.

Looks like unranked will be in the patch later this month, as well as the ability to queue for both 2v2 and 3v3 at the same time.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Doing a double-queue seems like a great way to not split the players between 3s and 2s. Also I got one of my friends to bite on this game and we won a bunch of games, lots of fun when you can callout targets properly.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Brannock posted:

Unranked matchmaking is bad and the game shouldn't have it at all. There's no need to split up the player base. Losing a handful of mmr in ranked is not a big deal. Having long queues is.

I wouldn't mind team ratings with your friends if you choose to form "teams". That would be okay.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Khorne posted:

Unranked matchmaking is bad and the game shouldn't have it at all. There's no need to split up the player base. Losing a handful of mmr in ranked is not a big deal. Having long queues is.

I wouldn't mind team ratings with your friends if you choose to form "teams". That would be okay.

I don't mind trashing my rating learning new characters but it sucks pulling a random person along for the ride. Being able to queue for 2s and 3s at the same time should mitigate some of the downsides of queue splitting.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ruzihm posted:

more like i don't want to ruin someone else's e peen when i'm trying out something new :shobon:

The rage of some people is hilarious though.

I'm glad I'm old and don't care. I'm trying to learn characters but holy hell some people get real mad I'm not pro tier.

Good times.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

The rage of some people is hilarious though.

I'm glad I'm old and don't care. I'm trying to learn characters but holy hell some people get real mad I'm not pro tier.

Good times.

Rocket League is the only competitive game I've played. If I've learned anything from it, the lower-tier people hate their teammates (while also sucking as much as their teammates that they hate), and the middle-tier people realize things happen and don't care as much.

I just got this game last night, I've never played a fighting game or moba/rts. It seems fun but I've just been messing around with different characters in training and reading guides. Learning cooldowns of characters I want to play/main moves of characters in general. I know I'll be bad for a while, and oh well, but for some reason I'm scared to go into a real match.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

HATTAM posted:

Rocket League is the only competitive game I've played. If I've learned anything from it, the lower-tier people hate their teammates (while also sucking as much as their teammates that they hate), and the middle-tier people realize things happen and don't care as much.

I just got this game last night, I've never played a fighting game or moba/rts. It seems fun but I've just been messing around with different characters in training and reading guides. Learning cooldowns of characters I want to play/main moves of characters in general. I know I'll be bad for a while, and oh well, but for some reason I'm scared to go into a real match.
Gr10/11 people freak out a ton. Gr9 seem chill, gr8 seem clueless and quiet. I've never seen anyone below these ratings besides in ai games where it's like "hey it's my third game ever".

GR12 generally thins out the public freak out people. Although I'm sure gr12+ get frustrated with losses because they lose a poo poo ton of mmr. There are some known ragers in the top 200 still. I don't think I've lost the times it has put a gr12 on my team and they are usually nice.

I've had tons of ragers the past few days blaming their mistakes on me. A poloma who did like 28 damage and 80 protection 1v1 vs an ashka while constantly running away from me and the middle was mad enough to afk after the second round because I wasn't carrying him hard enough. In fact, it's usually Poloma/Varesh/Taya players who freak out constantly. Those heroes attract autists who think they're good when they're useless. I will note that I don't type things to my teammates unless they talk trash first. Everyone has bad games or screws up. I've been the bad varesh many times personally. I usually type "try using lmb" if they give me awful advice while doing really subpar damage.

Also, the worse someone is the more they cry. And people have super unrealistic expectations about what a croak can and can't do, especially against shifu (which is a fine matchup, but you can't just sit there aaing non-stop as a croak you need to bait counters and play around your cooldowns and not take a million damage for no reason). It's bizarre when you get complimented by gr12s on the other team and your dumbass gr10 teammate won't shut up about how garbage you are while throwing round after round with their own play.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 18, 2016

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Spoken like a true frog player. Scumbag

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Do Shifu players at some point stop blowing all their outs to run in the middle of the enemy team and die? Because those people are the worst.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

strong bird posted:

Spoken like a true frog player. Scumbag
My most played is Freya. I went the hammer build before it was a meme. People gave me endless poo poo about that too even though I would out damage double ranged comps with it. Second most played is Lucie. The frog pickup was a new thing. I didn't play ranid in BLC, but melee heroes are real cool in BLC/Battlerite even though I'm more of a wizard man in most other games. Probably because they have bursty wizard tempo to their play and really powerful CC and tools which is why I like wizards, while the actual wizards in this game aren't as cool.

I mostly picked him up to play Ranid+Jade, because a lot more people can play Jade than Ranid.

My highest win rates are shifu and ashka. Those heroes both really own in solo queue because they go well with pretty much anything. Oldur seems pretty solid too. My favorite ashka button is his ex Q. Second favorite is anything involving his space. All of shifu's buttons are real good.

I refuse to play Bakko. I don't think he's op or anything, but I am avoiding playing him. I really want to play Taya, but learning her right click all over again is just annoying. And if you aren't good with that then pack it up and go home.

edit: vvv ex spit is hilarious. The way people react to it is the funniest. Some of them blow everything immediately and others just wander aimlessly. The third type of player switches between the two helplessly.

actual gameplay footage of how bad I am, notice that I have camo up but don't stun the oldur before he can space with my ult. There are a million other mistakes in this as well. Thankfully, my opponents are worse. That's also one of the few rounds I used my ult in all night. Was also round 1 so my leap didn't heal me and camo didn't make me move real fast.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 18, 2016

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

the mind of a true croak player

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I wish I could play this more but half the times I queue up it takes several minutes and then gives dumb matches 75% of the time like a 3 grade difference or pre-mades against solo queue or no support vs 1 support in 3s.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Everyone shut up and ask Watlok why he was listening to Linken's Park In The End.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
in my 4th ever match in this game I had some guy melt down and call me a virgin because I was playing Ashka and kicked his rear end.

Getting called a virgin In TYOOL 2016.

Angry people are my favorite.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Was duoing with a queue friend and matched up into two g12s. We beat them so hard in round one they went on tilt and started yelling at each other in all chat in the middle of the second round. Third round they just ran to mid and let us kill them. Good times.

e. Also everyone in the top 1000 or so seems to be friendly to each other, but that may have more to do with the fact you're still playing the same people over and over again, and half of them are streaming :v:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

koolkal posted:

I wish I could play this more but half the times I queue up it takes several minutes and then gives dumb matches 75% of the time like a 3 grade difference or pre-mades against solo queue or no support vs 1 support in 3s.
Maybe that's a regional thing or a 3v3 thing? Or maybe you're playing a hero everyone else is playing. I've mostly been playing 2v2 in a premade and queues are like 10 seconds.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The queue times for 2s are real fast and rarely unbalanced for me.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Studio posted:

Everyone shut up and ask Watlok why he was listening to Linken's Park In The End.
I didn't have headphones on so I have no idea why or even what was playing the song. That was from a replay. Embarrassing.

koolkal posted:

3s queues are long especially at off-peak hours.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 18, 2016

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
This is a good game.

No beginners play 3s in my area but 2s is p. quick. It's very common to see the same people over a half dozen games.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Does Ashka see when Iva's ignite is active?
Can Ashka's M1s refresh Iva's ignite?

If so what other co-op status effect interactions like this exist?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Khorne posted:

3s queues are long especially at off-peak hours.

Yeah, I've noticed that the 3s queue is much worse. 2s seems to have more people and looser comp restrictions (which is how it should be IMO) so my games there are better.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Khorne posted:

Although I'm sure gr12+ get frustrated with losses because they lose a poo poo ton of mmr. There are some known ragers in the top 200 still. I don't think I've lost the times it has put a gr12 on my team and they are usually nice.

This is me (though not top 200), I get frustrated here and there because I'm stuck in gr13/12 limbo. MMR ratings will often give zero points or less than 10 for wins, but a single loss? 25 to 30 point loss. If I play solo the pool is small enough that it'll often place gr10 and lower with me against two g12s, if I play with my mate when he is on it's a 5 minute wait for a game, and a win is usually 1 point or 0. Losses are death.

I apologise if I ever get tilted and let it out in chat. The points don't matter so much, but it wears you down after a win streak to earn 15 points, then one loss blows out 30 :-[ Waiting on the patch now anyways.

Frozenfries fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 19, 2016

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Cirofren posted:

Does Ashka see when Iva's ignite is active?
Can Ashka's M1s refresh Iva's ignite?

If so what other co-op status effect interactions like this exist?

Fairly certain Iva's effect is "Burning", not Ignite, and they do not interact in any way, chiefly because Iva's effect does way more damage than Ashka's.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I spent some time collecting my thoughts on Taya after playing her a whole bunch. I may eventually better edit this and turn it into a video guide but I'm unsure if I'll get around to it so here's the text dump. DISCLAIMER: Not super good. If you have anything to add I'd love to hear it.

http://pastebin.com/8ATGHj0U

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

quote:

Update 2016-10-18

Concerns have been raised about the introduction of Unranked potentially splitting the playerbase too much. This concern is something we had in mind when we implemented the system, so let's do a deeper dive into how it will work and how we will prevent this.

If anything, this change should actually result in overall faster matchmaking queues. Basically the system will attempt to match unranked players versus unranked players and ranked players versus ranked players, but when enough time has passed without the system being able to find a suitable match, the matchmaking will allow unranked and ranked to play against each other. So unranked players can play against ranked players if enough time passes, but ranked and unranked players will never be on the same team. If ranked and unranked players are put into the same match, the unranked players will always be teamed up with the other unranked players, and ranked players will always be teamed up with the other ranked players. The matchmaking will still attempt to pair up players close in skill level of course.

For the unranked players, this match will seem like a regular unranked match and they will not see their own or their enemies’ rank. Neither will they lose or gain any ranked rating afterwards. The ranked players will see their opponents equivalent rank in-game and will lose or win rating based on it. Naturally, Unranked will have its own, hidden, matchmaking rating that is separate from the Ranked rating.

This can result in some ranked players sometimes getting a win when they otherwise would not have, but we expect most players will still try to win their matches even when playing unranked. Combined with the ability to simultaneously queue for 2v2 and 3v3 it should speed up the queue times. In addition, being able to play with friends of different skill levels or try out new champions against real players, without the fear of losing ranked rating, should get more people into the queues as well. We feel that right now, this is the best choice to make in regards to matchmaking.

Update on the Unranked queue and splitting the playerbase.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

BigLeafyTree posted:

I spent some time collecting my thoughts on Taya after playing her a whole bunch. I may eventually better edit this and turn it into a video guide but I'm unsure if I'll get around to it so here's the text dump. DISCLAIMER: Not super good. If you have anything to add I'd love to hear it.

http://pastebin.com/8ATGHj0U
This post reminds me to complain that what triggers a trance is not all that clear-cut. The easy explanation is "AoE doesn't trigger" but a lot of cone abilities like Rook's RMB will set it off.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Geekslinger posted:

Update on the Unranked queue and splitting the playerbase.

This sounds like a lot of complexity for essentially the same queue in the end.

I got over the "fear" of losing arbitrary numbers pretty fast and just played normally. If the entire game is on the ladder, then there's no "ladder", if you get me? I have a feeling that having an unranked mode will just increase the prevalence of ladder anxiety.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I feel like there loads of people who either play ranked or unranked exclusively where the distinction is available. I see no real benefit to splitting the playerbase even more.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

how me a frog posted:

I feel like there loads of people who either play ranked or unranked exclusively where the distinction is available. I see no real benefit to splitting the playerbase even more.

Good thing they're not actually splitting it anymore!

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
https://twitter.com/Battlerite/status/788764628327292928

In two days whatever that means.

Harbinger and the new patch?

FUKKEN fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 19, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Praise be to the lord and savior of low MMR

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just wish I'd stop getting people in the grade below me on my team when they have a guy my rank and a person above mine :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
23-2 in my last 25 croak games boys. MMR grind is dumb as poo poo in this game. It's like your point gain doesn't line up with the internal evaluation of rating after the placement period, because every game is like me (gr10) with a gr9 vs gr11s or gr10+gr11 with the occasional gr12s thrown in, usually on the other team. Most of the games were 3-0 or 3-1 wins also, so that's not why the grind is taking ages.

edit: right, I've only gained like 100-200 rating.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 20, 2016

• Locked thread