Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You can get a lot of used Mac for $500-700. Then if you really want, sell it and buy something brand new after they're released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is that through the Apple refurb site, or through Amazon or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pollyanna posted:

Is that through the Apple refurb site, or through Amazon or something?

Used as in SA-mart or other for sale forums

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The battery on my 2012 retina MBP is real garbage these days, like under 2 hours on a full charge. I haven't used the machine that heavily I don't think, and the system info only reports ~250 battery cycles. Apple's support site lists the cycle limit of the battery at 1000 cycles.

Googling led me to resetting the PRAM, which seems to have helped a little. (It also solved the issue of the fan running full blast all the time, so there must have been something weird going on). But that only helped a little, bringing me up to 2 hours instead of 85 minutes. Are there any other software fixes that might help?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should wait for the new Macs to come out. The refurb prices will lower even more ($100-200) but they'll probably sell out quickly so you need to get on it fast.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bob Morales posted:

I would find it odd if the Air got a retina screen and USB-c but kept the same general form factor. I would expect nothing less than a bigger MacBook (14" maybe?)

I wouldn't. I've worked at two businesses now that buy Airs by the crate. They're extremely durable, fast enough for "business" use and cheap.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

How smart is the Macbook Pro's automatic graphics switching? Is it like Optimus where it just has a ridiculously subjective/constantly outdated list of things the dGPU should run on and then switches it even if the integrated graphics would be fine, or does it actually take into account GPU load/FPS/temperatures/power use/etc? It seems like a combo of both but the most recent posts I can find about it are from like 2013.

VV Yeah that's what I thought :(.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 19, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It works fine if you think Chrome or Twitter requires a graphics card.

Here is what the Apple Support page says

quote:

On Mac computers that support automatic graphics switching between two graphics processors, some software using OpenGL technology may engage the discrete, higher performance graphics automatically. For best battery performance, consider quitting OpenGL-based applications when you finish using them.

Examples of OpenGL applications include Google Chrome (all versions) and Firefox web browsers versions 4.0 through 8.0, Grab—an application used for capturing screenshots—and some iLife and iWork applications, such as iPhoto, iMovie, and Keynote.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 19, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm seriously curious - what are the folks who maintain that the current Macs suck looking for in the new ones? Or is this a "I don't know what I want but I know it's not THAT" kind of thing?

I'll bite:

What I want:

Up to date processors (Kaby Lake)
GPU with >2.5 Gflops
external GPU support via TB3
10 bit color screen with iPhone/iPad-like gamut and calibration
"True-Tone" display (automatically adjusted white-point and illumination)
>=100 Hz panel with variable refreshrate
better and more durable antireflective coating, no screen burn-in
longer radius of the chamfered user-facing edges of the case
a keyboard that doesn't become "mushy" after 2 years of intensive use
thinner screen bezels

Not happening:

17" Model with 6-core CPU option, larger heatsinks, larger speakers, one 2.5" bay, SO-DIMM slots
magsafe cables that don't fray after a few months of use

What I realistically think Apple will announce:

a thinner, lighter form factor that causes the machine to throttle as soon as CPU+GPU load is over 50% for 3 minutes
2-3 items off my list (10 bit screens, thinner bezels, TB3)
OLED strip with the "Taptic Engine" that removes the physical ESC-key because ~courage~
TouchID and ApplePay integration via a questionable secure enclave that can also be used for all sorts of draconic pre-boot DRM/surveillance
eventually ARM CPUs that do not allow code execution of binaries downloaded outside the AppStore

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

8ender posted:

I wouldn't. I've worked at two businesses now that buy Airs by the crate. They're extremely durable, fast enough for "business" use and cheap.

You can lock it to integrated with an app like gfxcsrdstatus

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

It works fine if you think Chrome or Twitter requires a graphics card.

Here is what the Apple Support page says

Before I baked my gpu in my iMac, Firefox would trigger all the graphical glitches. Switching back to Safari fixed all my problems. Makes sense now. Didn't realize Firefox uses OpenGL.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My MPB predictions:

Likely:
Kaby Lake
HDR or similar
Extra colours
Thinner
USB-C
New Keyboard

Not Likely:

144hz
External GPU

Almost Certainly Not:

More USB Ports
17"
Anything we turbonerds actually want.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Why would an MBP need 144 hz

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ethanol posted:

It has to be a premier gaming laptop, duh.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I want a new mini like the old mini.

I ended up buying an 09 Mac Pro instead.

eames
May 9, 2009

ethanol posted:

Why not? Higher refresh rates makes every motion on the screen smoother and more fluid. Website scrolling, moving windows, everything.
I didn't think that higher refresh rates are something that matter to me but moving back and forth between a 144hz hackintosh and a 60hz rMBP makes the difference striking, without gaming.
100hz with the low hanging fruit that is variable refresh rate (now a standard feature of DP and could be used for energy savings) would make me quite happy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

'Smoothness' is exactly the sort of nebulous term that Apple love to emphasise.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Finally.

eames
May 9, 2009

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Remember in 1984 when Steve Jobs unveiled the original Mac it said "hello i am macintosh" or something

So that's the "hello again"

What's with the colors? HDR?

eames
May 9, 2009

official invitation link:

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2016/

the logo looks like a color powder explosion, probably a hint at something display-related.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have had $1500 squirreled away for months waiting for this. loving finally.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah, it looks just like the iOS 9 wallpapers.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

1997 posted:

Yeah, it looks just like the iOS 9 wallpapers.

The new Macbooks will run iOS 9 and nothing else.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Going to make passionate love to my '15 mbp just to let it know I still care, sort of.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Be prepared to be disappointed when they release exactly what's been in the rumor mill.

eames
May 9, 2009

somebody over at ars pointed this out :woop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Morales posted:

Be prepared to be disappointed when they release exactly what's been in the rumor mill.

I think the current Retina Pros are fine machines. It's just the principle of buying something so old at new prices.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the current Retina Pros are fine machines. It's just the principle of buying something so old at new prices.
I mean, for a lot of workloads the late-2013 model is still within margin-of-error performance to the current model too. It hasn't even really made sense to buy the current one if you could score an older model.

I'm curious to see if Apple can come up with anything to motivate me to upgrade.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You pay the extra money for AppleCare imo but also for getting a clean machine without jizz on it. The apple refurb program is alright though

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

OLED displays could be sweet. I think if they have it they'll only put it as a premium option on the 15".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, the hinges are literally the only reason I considered upgrading, and I decided to just bite the bullet and pay $80 instead of $1500 to fix it myself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You'll pry my late 2013 from my cold dead hands

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'll probably get this one coming out.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm in the market for a new iMac, so... hopefully a minor spec update comes next week too.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Tim's gonna have to seriously come up with the goods to get me to switch from my 2013 RMBP.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It's gotten to the point where I resent my 13" air I just hate that lovely loving screen so much. My personal laptop has always been a secondary device so I've been holding off getting some refurb pro. Mostly because I have to know what the hold up was for these new machines was before I can decide what to get.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eames posted:

official invitation link:

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2016/

the logo looks like a color powder explosion, probably a hint at something display-related.

Kid Cudi Man on the Moon 3 confirmed

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I mean, for a lot of workloads the late-2013 model is still within margin-of-error performance to the current model too. It hasn't even really made sense to buy the current one if you could score an older model.

About the only thing you could be picky about with 2015 rMBPs vs 2013s is the marginally better SSD speed (and even there, you need to buy a 512 GB/ 1 TB SSD to see much difference.)

I still think I'd hold onto my late 2013 rMBP regardless of what comes out, unless its got some catchy new thing that ISN'T a physical version of the Mac OS 9 control strip or a super de duper turbo PCIe 16x SSD, or something.

I'm not gonna trade in my MagSafe 2 for a loving USB-C adapter, even if Apple does make it standard. They're going backward if they go that route, IMHO. I can easily see that as being something that the buying public rebels against, then Apple sheepishly puts it back in the next revision and makes it MagSafe 2 + 3 USB-C ports.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
I really hope that there's the Mac Pro refresh that's been delayed forever. The new gen AMD graphics cards are here already... It's probably just going to be the laptops though, since there hasn't been a single proper rumor regarding the Mac Pro at all, but at least they're starting to refresh things. New version of FCP X slated to be announced Thursday as well.