Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Smoremaster posted:

2K are saying in twitch chat that the game is still in development. Why are they releasing it if it's still in development? Are they trying to sneak out an early access turd and pass it off as finished? I wonder if maybe I shouldn't have preordered.

They've been very upfront that Civ 6 is going to be a long-form product. DLC and patches etc for what is probably several years. Of course it's still in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

did they say what difficulty the ai were set to? that'd kinda put a better context re: stuff like technology pacing or general ai strategy

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

A little weird that it's modern era and there's nary a gun in sight

Brazil gonna win with clubs and loincloths

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

did they say what difficulty the ai were set to? that'd kinda put a better context re: stuff like technology pacing or general ai strategy

King

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gort posted:

From what I'm hearing (stream doesn't work for me for some reason) the AI's pretty bad, guys.

We knew that from the single player streamers.

Brother Entropy posted:

King

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't even watch the stream, it just loads endlessly while the chat is scrolling impossibly fast (because that is obviously the most important thing to load first). Oh well.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Eurekas need to be more difficult to acquire.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

KyloWinter posted:

why?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Saw a little religious combat. Apostle summoned some lightning on a poor missionary and the nearby cities popped up "-100 Islam"

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Wow, Spain has super inquisitors and still managed to be converted. I wasn't really following the stream closely, was it because they were converted before they had the ability to even build inquisitors?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Because the rate of technology gain is too quick, presumably. 50% off of a technology is naturally going to be a part of that.

That's not really a mysterious statement.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Rome has entered the Industrial Era.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

I think instead science costs should just be increased? Seems weird they wouldn't do that though.

Other things that could be improved: upgrading units, slightly more aggression. I'm not too broken up that they're not conquering cities left and right, that would get a little annoying if everybody did that. But you know, maybe a bit more hostility.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

In the single player VODs I've watched the general strategy is to get every eureka. It seems like 90% of them are easy to get. They decrease technology cost by 50% meaning the pace of technology in the game has been doubled. As demonstrated by the king-level AI in this live stream, they need to be much harder to acquire.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

KyloWinter posted:

In the single player VODs I've watched the general strategy is to get every eureka. It seems like 90% of them are easy to get. They decrease technology cost by 50% meaning the pace of technology in the game has been doubled. As demonstrated by the king-level AI in this live stream, they need to be much harder to acquire.

ah okay, that makes sense

i think i'd like to see eurekas decreased to 25% before making them harder to pull off but that's just going off of gut feeling

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Nothing ready for the release, but if they can polish up the Battle Royal tools, they're interested in putting that out for players.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rexides posted:

Wow, Spain has super inquisitors and still managed to be converted. I wasn't really following the stream closely, was it because they were converted before they had the ability to even build inquisitors?

It's more that Spain got turbo-hosed by getting a restrained start in the Tundra I feel.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They're explaining the unit upgrade difficulties a bit. The warrior unit line has a few units they require strategic units so if the AI gets screwed out of those resources they have some trouble upgrading. That makes sense, but maybe they need to put an alternate solution for those units.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Brother Entropy posted:

ah okay, that makes sense

i think i'd like to see eurekas decreased to 25% before making them harder to pull off but that's just going off of gut feeling

I'd rather see rarer eurekas so they are actually eurekas instead of standard technological progress.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Russia's theme seems to be Kalinka.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Looks like England's going to pull a science victory, or Greece is going to grab a cultural victory. The bright side here is that the late game is relevant, rather than everything getting decided by the early game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I understand that it's Twitch chat, but man, you'd think the AI murdered the chat's parents.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

I understand that it's Twitch chat, but man, you'd think the AI murdered the chat's parents.

It'd help if there was something interesting going on in the game to talk about, but all the AIs seem content to just sit back and not fight each other at all. I think there was one city capture by the AI (not counting Aztecs conquering a city-state), and then the Aztecs just gave it back to Russia.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gotta say, I'm just taking a peek at the streams/previews of this game and I love the art style and Sean F. Bean.

My only concerns are that the end game is at least tuned well at launch and not a slog, but this is more of a concern with 4x games in general, although Civ should really start cribbing more from Endless Legend.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Gotta say, I'm just taking a peek at the streams/previews of this game and I love the art style and Sean F. Bean.

My only concerns are that the end game is at least tuned well at launch and not a slog, but this is more of a concern with 4x games in general, although Civ should really start cribbing more from Endless Legend.

So far it looks actually kinda good on that aspect for two reasons. 1) the developers kinda learned to specifically make the end-game fun midway through V's life-time. 2) the current tech tree is kinda hilariously short due to how powerful Eureka moments are and how easy they are to get.

I feel that Eurekas could really use a bit of a nerf honestly since the King level AIs were reaching industrial era at 1400 (and they did specifically say the AIs were programmed so that they actually do know how to aim for Eurekas). Having them at 25% or 33% seems a bit more reasonable honestly than "literally half off"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Aztec doing a classic move of being the most powerful civ but splitting its focus too much to lead in any one victory path.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Or maybe have multiple eureka objectives for each eureka and you have to complete all of them, or it is a secret which one is the correct eureka. There's a lot of interesting solutions to the ease of eurekas.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Another war was decarled!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Idly, are there any good extensions out there that let you watch Twitch streams without loading in the chat?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Russian employs only the most advanced in catapult technology to defend their cities after declaring war in 1943

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

On thursday at 12pm I'm going to play Beyond Earth and cry for 6 hours

i'm gonna go to bed early tonight and wake up at 4am and play until i have to go to work :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bogart posted:

Idly, are there any good extensions out there that let you watch Twitch streams without loading in the chat?
You can just hide it, there should be a button for it.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Did the barbarians just take Rome in 1951?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Another war was decarled!

Aztecs still can't seem to take a city despite having mech infantry and tanks massed outside Russia's forward-settle, which was defended by a catapult. They're pillaging like every single fishing boat though.

Edit: Nevermind they finally captured it. That's... something, I suppose!

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 19, 2016

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Bogart posted:

I have better twitch tv and my chat is set to be hidden away.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
What's the consensus on the AI quality? Awful? Decent? In between?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alkydere posted:

I feel that Eurekas could really use a bit of a nerf honestly since the King level AIs were reaching industrial era at 1400 (and they did specifically say the AIs were programmed so that they actually do know how to aim for Eurekas). Having them at 25% or 33% seems a bit more reasonable honestly than "literally half off"

Quill18 got a full science victory by the late 1800s. Ye olde Victorian Mars base

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Eschatos posted:

About the same as Civ V, not very good at war.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

This thread has pulled a real 180 from the "never preorder a game" sentiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
^The devs have been pretty transparent about what you are getting in civ 6 with all the prerelease editions given out to youtubers etc.

Eschatos posted:

Looks like Civ 5 Ai. So... bad?