Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
If anyone is looking at the Xps13 the dell outlet has a good selection around $750 right now with a 6th gen i5, 8 gb, 256, 1080 screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

signalnoise posted:

How's the ~gaming laptop~ scene these days for stuff that isn't super high end? I just want to play Blizzard games and I'm going to be starting a job that has a lot of travel.

the "lowest" 14nm mobile gpu atm is the 1060. while pretty darn impressive its probably more than you need. wait for the 1050 or the amd equivalent to start showing up in laptops that arent chintzed out spaceships.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

signalnoise posted:

How's the ~gaming laptop~ scene these days for stuff that isn't super high end? I just want to play Blizzard games and I'm going to be starting a job that has a lot of travel.

There were some i5 and i7 laptops with 960ms available for around $700 or less, but none that I can find right now. That would run Blizzard stuff really well, not so much high-end games (which a 1060 absolutely would run, but those are arouns $1300 right now). Its kind of a weird time to buy right now, the next gen GPUs are just hitting the market but not enough of them to cause last gen to be firesaled yet. Combine that with black friday and xmas deals coming up means there isn't much.

I suspect the 960m deals for around $600 might be good values, but that depends on the 1050 and 1050ti prices. For the 960m deals you can check this link now and then.

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...src=SearchBarV2

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Has anybody used an HP Stream or a notebook along similar lines? Can you make any other suggestions? I'd use it for homework and farting around on the web, and I honestly don't have much more than $200 I could spend on one.

Here is one on Amazon.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

nitsuga posted:

Has anybody used an HP Stream or a notebook along similar lines? Can you make any other suggestions? I'd use it for homework and farting around on the web, and I honestly don't have much more than $200 I could spend on one.

Here is one on Amazon.

I bought my daughter an HP Stream and it works well for basic web surfing. I also have a Toshiba Encore 2 Write, and Office performance is tolerable for basic document editing. Don't try having lots of tabs open on either.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
T460 mini review, as I just got it on Monday (instead of the X1 that I wanted...)

It's shockingly small and light compared to a T520 or T420, and the HD touchscreen, which seems to be TN, has perfect density to work without scaling and good enough colors and viewing angles to not be annoying in regular use. It's also properly matte, so you can't even tell it's a touchscreen. The swipe-style fingerprint scanner works well enough to let me in on first try, usually (but Win10 requires a stupid PIN to be set up). Compared to the X1 Yoga, which was the only alternative, it's much cheaper and has more ports and a normal dock connector (no full-size DP or VGA, though).

On the downside, the ULV CPU is slightly slower by most metrics than the sandy 2640M in my current T520. It has one internal and one removable battery, but with the standard one installed it's not particular impressive, around 7-8 hours which is similar to a 520 with a 9-cell, at least under light office workload. The keyboard feels nice, but the layout blows, as expected. There's really no excuse for removing the separate volume controls. The screen bezels are enormous, and I don't think it works with a stylus.

None of this should be really surprising, but that's my experience so far after a couple of days.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
Does anyone have any idea if/when the dell xps line will start shipping with 10X gpus? (Or indeed when similar thinkpads will do the same)

I'm looking at the xps 15 at the moment but it seems like the wrong time to pull the trigger given that new graphics cards can't be too far away.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008

Semi-mental posted:

Does anyone have any idea if/when the dell xps line will start shipping with 10X gpus? (Or indeed when similar thinkpads will do the same)

I'm looking at the xps 15 at the moment but it seems like the wrong time to pull the trigger given that new graphics cards can't be too far away.

The 13-in model just got a Kaby Lake processor, but the quad-core Kaby Lakes aren't due until January. I'm hoping for an XPS 15 refresh soon thereafter.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I imagine they will wait for the 1050. The 1060 is a large performance bump but has a TDP around that of a 970M, so the 1050 is likely the more sensible tradeoff for most non-gaming machines.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My boss is trying to convince me to get a third monitor. On the company dime, why not?

The "problem" is my laptop only has one external video port that I'm currently using for a second display.

My use case is for non-performance work like coding, chat window, etc.

Are there any USB3 video adapters worth anything and if so, what are they?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My wife saw a commercial for the HP Specter and is begging me for one for Christmas. Is it a piece of poo poo? Reviews seem mixed, but not terrible to be honest.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cheesus posted:

My boss is trying to convince me to get a third monitor. On the company dime, why not?

The "problem" is my laptop only has one external video port that I'm currently using for a second display.

Matrox Dualhead 2 Go

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

LorneReams posted:

My wife saw a commercial for the HP Specter and is begging me for one for Christmas. Is it a piece of poo poo? Reviews seem mixed, but not terrible to be honest.

My work just swapped my laptop and gave me a first generation Spectre. I think the current one is the third version. So far I like it. The processor will throttle a bit after sustained loads,but the build quality is excellent and I actually like the keyboard more than the Latitude it replaced.

I can't speak to price/performance, however.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Bob Morales posted:

Matrox Dualhead 2 Go
Nice. Thanks a lot!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

1050 desktop was just formally announced this week. I think both the 107 and... 112 cores are marketed as 1050, the 107 being a massively cut down version of the 1050ti (someone correct me) and laptops are likely to get the cut down version of the desktop version I.e. the 107

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-11e-g3-11-6-touch-ultrabook-1?ref=w_gh_cp_3_d_ph

Here's a decent <$300 Windows laptop. The N3150 is sort of at the lower end of what I'd consider passable for a Chromebook, but with the other specs it seems pretty good for the price for Windows.

Cheesus posted:

You could also get a DisplayLink monitor like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MB169B-1920x1080-Portable-Monitor/dp/B013XFJKGI/

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

nitsuga posted:

Here is one on Amazon.

My girlfriend's sister has an older one (last year I think) and it can barely manage to play videos on youtube if ANYTHING ELSE (yes, even text editors) are running. I'd be weary if you want to multitask in the slightest.

eames
May 9, 2009

Razer announced a new 17" Laptop, the Razer Blade Pro.

I've heard too many negative things about their warranty, support and built quality in the past but should the rMBPs vanish off the face of the earth over night, this would be on top of my list.
It uses the same mechanical switches as their iPad keyboard:

https://vine.co/v/5wi2DJXmU9Y

Prices start at $3699/4199€ and go up from there. :stare:

The whole room of Razer Fanboys went silent and started laughing when they announced the price. https://www.twitch.tv/razer/v/96094297 @ 47:30
(complete with "did somebody feint?" joke by the presenting CEO)

eames fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 21, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not sure if that's Min's keynote or not since I can't watch video at the moment, but I listened to it earlier and he just straight up said Razer laptops don't throttle and run at their full boost clocks all the time.

Which is like 100% the opposite of reality.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My old 2012 era MacBook Pro is on the way out both specs-wise and in lifespan, even though I've been supporting it physically (new SSD, gotta fix the hinges). I want to upgrade to a new laptop, but Apple laptops are expensive as sin, and I'm curious what other options there are for laptops I can upgrade to.

My primary use cases are internet, streaming video, and software development. The MBP is good at all of that, but new MBPs run in the $1250+ range, which is tough for me to swallow. I want a laptop of comparable capacity that can at least run a Linux distro like Ubuntu, and can handle stupid YouTube videos and whatever dumb Ruby/Clojure project I've got cooking. I also like a relatively light form factor, since my old MBP is actually kinda bulky by today's standards. I was advised to look into the Asus UX305 line, specifically the UX305CA. It looks good to me, though I'm not sure how it compares specs-wise to the 2012 non-Retina MBP. Would this be an acceptable upgrade for my use cases?

The only other thing bothering me is if I ever decide to get further into game dev. IIRC, game dev needs a bit more power than other fields and benefits from higher specs, and at least being able to run Unity or something (so, Windows). I'm not sure how well the UX305CA fits that description, but it's relatively low priority for me anyway.

Thoughts?

Edit: I don't do PC gaming much anymore, and if I ever feel like getting back into it, I'll probably just get a desktop rig, so I don't need to worry about much more than running low-spec Steam games.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 21, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

zimbomonkey posted:

My girlfriend's sister has an older one (last year I think) and it can barely manage to play videos on youtube if ANYTHING ELSE (yes, even text editors) are running. I'd be weary if you want to multitask in the slightest.

This is a software problem, any computer since 2010 will happily play YouTube while multitasking. Most laptops have hardware acceleration in the CPU for the video codecs that YouTube uses to improve this even further. Look at malware and antivirus solutions.

TL;DR this ^^ is like saying "I crashed my car in to a brick wall at 20mph and now it leaks oil when I turn it on"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

This is a software problem, any computer since 2010 will happily play YouTube while multitasking. Most laptops have hardware acceleration in the CPU for the video codecs that YouTube uses to improve this even further. Look at malware and antivirus solutions.

TL;DR this ^^ is like saying "I crashed my car in to a brick wall at 20mph and now it leaks oil when I turn it on"

I've spent some time on a dual core Bay Trail Celeron laptop and vp9 on Youtube murders the thing. I've been checking what codec youtube uses out of curiosity with some regularity, and the vast majority of videos are now streamed using the not-hardware accelerated vp9 instead of the much CPU friendlier h264.

A 1.6 GHz Atom just isn't a great time browsing with a desktop browser and js-heavy fat sites.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

nitsuga posted:

Here is one on Amazon.

Throwing in my two cents, I bought one last year because I was desperate for a portable text editor and web browsing device. It met my weight and size requirements and I didn't think being tied to Chrome OS was a great idea at the time.

I've found it to be kinda slow with even relatively light workloads like five Chrome tabs and a word processor open. At that price point though, your only other options are Chromebooks, really.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Baldrash posted:

Throwing in my two cents, I bought one last year because I was desperate for a portable text editor and web browsing device. It met my weight and size requirements and I didn't think being tied to Chrome OS was a great idea at the time.

I've found it to be kinda slow with even relatively light workloads like five Chrome tabs and a word processor open. At that price point though, your only other options are Chromebooks, really.

a bit back somebody had linked a lenovo with great specs that was that price point and size, i think at woot.com

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

EVIL NOONER posted:

a bit back somebody had linked a lenovo with great specs that was that price point and size, i think at woot.com

I think I found it here. That is awfully tempting. Do you think it could run Ubuntu? (It looked the Stream could, but there were definitely some tweaks that had to be done too).

Anyway, the Stream does seem to be hit-or-miss. Amazon buyers seem pretty happy with it. The reviews on HP's site are across the board negative. As much as I dig the blue, I'm leery.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 22, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

nitsuga posted:

I think I found it here. That is awfully tempting. Do you think it could run Ubuntu?

Anyway, the Stream does seem to be hit-or-miss. Amazon buyers seem pretty happy with it. The reviews on HP's site are across the board negative. As much as I dig the blue, I'm leery.

I've briefly used a Stream, it's better than 2009-era netbooks by far. Just go in knowing what you're getting and it'll be OK.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Well, thanks everyone for the advice and Nooner for the tip on the Lenovo. I just ordered one, and I'll let you know what I think.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
My laptop from 2010 has finally given out, and I have a training cycle coming up that involves a good deal of travel. I'm looking for something I can watch a ton of movies/shows on, listen to music, and maybe play some basic Blizzard/Steam games on. I also used my previous notebook to make bad chiptune/edm on. Anything decent out there that won't destroy my wallet? Preferably with a mechanical keyboard and an IPS screen, if possible.

Edit: Bonus points for anything touch/tablet like that I can use to draw with.

NovaLion fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 23, 2016

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

NovaLion posted:

My laptop from 2010 has finally given out, and I have a training cycle coming up that involves a good deal of travel. I'm looking for something I can watch a ton of movies/shows on, listen to music, and maybe play some basic Blizzard/Steam games on. I also used my previous notebook to make bad chiptune/edm on. Anything decent out there that won't destroy my wallet? Preferably with a mechanical keyboard and an IPS screen, if possible.

Aye. I'd be interested in travel + mechanical keyboard purely out of curiosity. Tbh I think it'd be easier to get a 10keyless mechanical + Thinkpad than find a mechanical and portable laptop.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

NovaLion posted:

I'm very happy with my MSI laptop, the keyboard feels great and they have a lot of different options available.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Photex posted:

I'm very happy with my MSI laptop, the keyboard feels great and they have a lot of different options available.

What model do you have?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

B-Mac posted:

What model do you have?

it's about a year old at this point but it's a MSI GE62 Apache 276

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012AQH9AU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Followup to ~gaming laptop~ chat I might be looking at doing a BYOD thing with my work so I'd need something that can run blizz games that also doesn't look like Alienware or whatever. With that in mind though, if it's BYOD my budget is higher. What's my best option for high battery life and low size and good business looks for something that can run say Heroes of the Storm?

Or like, what brands out there should I be looking at?

Alternatively this company regularly buys people Thinkpad X1 Carbons so I could just as easily get something with Intel 520 poo poo, what's a good resource for finding out the gaming toughness of that chip?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 23, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

signalnoise posted:

Followup to ~gaming laptop~ chat I might be looking at doing a BYOD thing with my work so I'd need something that can run blizz games that also doesn't look like Alienware or whatever. With that in mind though, if it's BYOD my budget is higher. What's my best option for high battery life and low size and good business looks for something that can run say Heroes of the Storm?

Or like, what brands out there should I be looking at?

Look for a thin computer with a GTX 1060. MSI Stealth models should do the trick there.

Or look at high end gigabyte models but those tend to be over $2k

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

The Iron Rose posted:

Look for a thin computer with a GTX 1060. MSI Stealth models should do the trick there.

Or look at high end gigabyte models but those tend to be over $2k

MSI Stealth looks like a good compromise! Thanks for this

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

signalnoise posted:

MSI Stealth looks like a good compromise! Thanks for this

Just make sure you get a model with a GTX 1060 - there are plenty of older models floating around for ridiculously inflated prices. I believe the current model is the MSI Stealth Pro.

another option is the Aorus X3 Plus v6. Much nicer than the MSI, but it's about 2 grand.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

The Iron Rose posted:

Just make sure you get a model with a GTX 1060 - there are plenty of older models floating around for ridiculously inflated prices.

ive noticed the terrible pricing on 900m series poo poo, are they just basically trying to find suckers at this point or something?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

EVIL NOONER posted:

ive noticed the terrible pricing on 900m series poo poo, are they just basically trying to find suckers at this point or something?

yeah the model i just posted is being sold for $1200 I bought it for 899 last year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EVIL NOONER posted:

Yes, you're getting a laptop grade GPU with a 960m, you're getting a thermally throttled 1060 desktop (desktop grade 980) with the 1060. I haven't looked in to the mobile benchmarks yet, but I'm seriously considering starting a new thread after the new macbooks are released at the end of the month. If haswell was the watershed moment for laptop CPUs, Pascal is that moment for laptop GPUs.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

eames posted:

The whole room of Razer Fanboys went silent and started laughing when they announced the price. https://www.twitch.tv/razer/v/96094297 @ 47:30
(complete with "did somebody feint?" joke by the presenting CEO)

That was the best, if it weren't 17 inches and $1000 cheaper this would of been great. Who the hell wants a 17 inch laptop?