Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
GW is trying really hard to stop being a terrible company, and it seems like they're succeeding. It's a mad loving world.

jadebullet posted:

Blarg, of course the Kasrkin special weapons guys are on sale when I don't have cash. Shame you can't buy just the plasma gunner.

Oh well, at least the cadian hazmat plasma gunner is still for sale on FW.
Don't buy hams when you're low on cash. Next thing you know you know you can't even afford juice for the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Absolutely loved Atia ripping this rumour to pieces in the comments. Faeit's nearly catching up to BoLS in the sheer amount of bullshit they're throwing out there.

Though at the very least, Faeit doesn't try to hijack my phone with bad ads like BoLS does.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

Absolutely loved Atia ripping this rumour to pieces in the comments. Faeit's nearly catching up to BoLS in the sheer amount of bullshit they're throwing out there.

Though at the very least, Faeit doesn't try to hijack my phone with bad ads like BoLS does.

I don't see where she's "ripping" anything. It does kind of make sense - if GW wants to get into mainstream stores with starters and such, they do need to tread a more PG line with Slannesh. Target and Walmart aren't going to want to deal with the Bible thumpers calling for boycotts over half-naked crab women.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't see where she's "ripping" anything. It does kind of make sense - if GW wants to get into mainstream stores with starters and such, they do need to tread a more PG line with Slannesh. Target and Walmart aren't going to want to deal with the Bible thumpers calling for boycotts over half-naked crab women.

I really don't think GW gives a drat about getting into the big-box stores anytime soon, they're much happier using their own stores for recruitment. I also very much doubt they care for any American bible-thumpers, their power as consumers really wained after the 90's were over.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
People always made wish lists for GW and now GW has given said people hope. This will only make it hurt more.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
"Thought for the day: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

berzerkmonkey posted:

You have to scroll down a good bit to see her comment, but its basically that only the design team would have access to that info and nobody on it would be willing to talk, and the rumor just says 'insiders' without knowing who or in what capacity which is questionable, and rumors about things specifically like this are usually false. Its too far away for there to be solid rumors.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

You have to scroll down a good bit to see her comment, but its basically that only the design team would have access to that info and nobody on it would be willing to talk, and the rumor just says 'insiders' without knowing who or in what capacity which is questionable, and rumors about things specifically like this are usually false. Its too far away for there to be solid rumors.

Ah, I didn't go far enough, apparently.

SteelMentor posted:

I really don't think GW gives a drat about getting into the big-box stores anytime soon, they're much happier using their own stores for recruitment. I also very much doubt they care for any American bible-thumpers, their power as consumers really wained after the 90's were over.
I thought the prevailing rumor was that the basic starters and "Start Collecting!" sets were being shopped around to chain retailers? Perhaps I am incorrect.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SteelMentor posted:

They've been actively trying to get into big box stores with Battle for Vedros and the new starter products.

And I really hope that it's not so much bible-thumpers as it is creating an "All-ages friendly game."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TheChirurgeon posted:

They've been actively trying to get into big box stores with Battle for Vedros and the new starter products.

And I really hope that it's not so much bible-thumpers as it is creating an "All-ages friendly game."

Uber humans killing brown skinned people will always be popular with the Bible thumpers... uh I meant green skins.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ilor posted:

"Thought for the day: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

"If you cannot speak well of your Master, be silent!"

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

On the other hand, I'm imagining a fat person in a rascal scooter waving a sign that says "GOD HATES GW" or "SLAANESH LEADS TO SIN".

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Safety Factor posted:

On the other hand, I'm imagining a fat person in a rascal scooter waving a sign that says "GOD HATES GW" or "SLAANESH LEADS TO SIN".

and then a bunch of other fat people across the street at the counter protest nod in agreement

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I would love to see the banners for the Pro Slaanesh camp though. Some A+ pun opportunity.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have never understood the idea that anything Warhammer should be PG, when you have literal embodiments of raw, base emotion - you know, the poo poo people don't like admitting to feeling (especially in a culture that promotes guilt of any errant emotion) - butchering, rotting, corrupting and crab loving fascist, dogmatic, racist xenophobes on a daily basis in a dying galaxy, full of mad, talking mushrooms and antediluvian horrors from beyond the void. If some one made a morning cartoon out of that, it'd have to be Captain Planet levels of cringe for it to be even remotely PG.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

VikingSkull posted:

"If you cannot speak well of your Master, be silent!"
Corvus Belli is my master now...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Irate Tree posted:

I have never understood the idea that anything Warhammer should be PG, when you have literal embodiments of raw, base emotion - you know, the poo poo people don't like admitting to feeling (especially in a culture that promotes guilt of any errant emotion) - butchering, rotting, corrupting and crab loving fascist, dogmatic, racist xenophobes on a daily basis in a dying galaxy, full of mad, talking mushrooms and antediluvian horrors from beyond the void. If some one made a morning cartoon out of that, it'd have to be Captain Planet levels of cringe for it to be even remotely PG.

Kids in the US are told about war, death, and pain (and racism, and diseases, etc) before they're told about sex. That's basically it. I'm not saying it's right, but it'd take a gigantic amount of time and effort to change that and I for one neither want nor expect GE to lead that particular charge.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's why we go to war then gently caress them over.

See Iraq.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
People in the US also have weird sensitivities about animals. Like mass genocide is just accepted, but Denmark slaughters a giraffe in front of some kids and there's public outrage. No way GW is the vehicle for changing that kind of stuff.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?
Why would they even bother going mainstream with it? It costs almost $100 to paint your first box of space marines if you factor in paint, glue, brushes, hobby knives, etc. Although I do seem to recall GW's business strategy a few years ago focusing on people that dropped $200 on Warhams and then immediately bailed on the hobby after losing interest as opposed to making a lot of small sales to long term customers.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Phanos posted:

Why would they even bother going mainstream with it? It costs almost $100 to paint your first box of space marines if you factor in paint, glue, brushes, hobby knives, etc. Although I do seem to recall GW's business strategy a few years ago focusing on people that dropped $200 on Warhams and then immediately bailed on the hobby after losing interest as opposed to making a lot of small sales to long term customers.

This was the dumbest thing to read about Games Workshop. Like, how many kids are looking to buy-in to model games? And how many parents are just willing to drop $200+ to get your first set of models done?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The closest they've gotten to mainstream are their big budget video games (Dawn of War, Total War, Space Marine) and back in the early-mid 2000s when I'd find Lord of the Rings starter sets in Barnes and Noble. Battle for Vedros is targeting art supply stores and I think toy stores but I don't think it'll find its way into Target anytime soon.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
It would be nice for there to be more players, although I'd have to drop the elitist attitude and stop referring to the MTG players as "filthy card game peasants".

rjderouin
May 21, 2007

Uroboros posted:

It would be nice for there to be more players, although I'd have to drop the elitist attitude and stop referring to the MTG players as "filthy card game peasants".

I used to own a shop in NJ and when they would say things like that I would just be like "those guys are keeping the lights on in here..." The anti anything other than GW is very pervasive in the community, especially anti card game. Where as card game guys always seem to be like, wow, cool models.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007

Uroboros posted:

I used to own a shop in NJ and when they would say things like that I would just be like "those guys are keeping the lights on in here..." The anti anything other than GW is very pervasive in the community, especially anti card game. Where as card game guys always seem to be like, wow, cool models.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So my friend and I are giving our go at making Battle Reports in hopes of attracting more attention to our local store. This was our first go, we recognize that the camera was too shaky and that the background noise is distracting but we are hoping to improve both. Any other constructive suggestions are welcomed. The bugs are mine and I made all the terrain and painted the board to!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So my friend and I are giving our go at making Battle Reports in hopes of attracting more attention to our local store. This was our first go, we recognize that the camera was too shaky and that the background noise is distracting but we are hoping to improve both. Any other constructive suggestions are welcomed. The bugs are mine and I made all the terrain and painted the board to!

First thought was too zoomed in, and you don't need to raise your voice, the audio picked up fine. Second though Eldar vs Nids, hah, top tier vs lowest tier, ended how I predicted it to.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Yea we realized we were too zoomed in. I sort of just have a loud voice, and we wanted to make sure it cut through all the background noise, which is even more loud in the store than on the video, next time we wil try and tone it down.

Honestly I think if it wasn't the one that where you get more and more objective cards each turn I might have been able to squeeze out a victory. That mission really rewards the "stay back and shoot stuff" style of play in a way that the other missions don't. I also should have hid my Misanthropes better, if they would have just stayed in the ruins they would have likely lived. But yea it was going to be an uphill battle for my bugs no matter what.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Irate Tree posted:

It's a game targeted for 11-15 year olds.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I was going to disagree with you, but then I remembered I'm about to sell the Tau half of my Kill Team box to one of my 15 year old students.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
When GW releases plastic SoB before the next edition it will truly become The End of Times.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

JesusIsTehCool posted:

should have hid my Misanthropes better

Gold. Why have I never heard this before? If I had some it would always be this.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

rjderouin posted:

Of course MTG fuels the local gamestores these days. Honestly I find the fact that it has survived to be impressive, I just like to poke fun because I used to be one of those poor kids.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah I think I was 11-12 when I bought my Eldar (and 9-10 when I was first introduced to WHFB and got the Bretonnian half of that amazing 5th Edition starter set). My nephew just turned 9, and at some point this year I'd like to show him the hobby without having to explain orgy-powered fentanyl chariots to his mother.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'd totally not mind if they kicked Slaanesh over to FW, because there ain't many kids that can afford that poo poo.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
If they just toned down the lust aspect of Slaanesh they still have 5 of the 7 deadly sins to work with. There should be loads there they can do, all exclusively Slaanesh (excepting Wrath, as that'd be a Khorne thing).

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Can Stormsurges get interceptor?

Also, we need more chaos spawn models that are just gibbering masses of penises and teeth.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kill slaanesh and replace it with the horned rat.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ijyt posted:

Kill slaanesh and replace it with the horned rat.

Would that get us space rats? Because I wouldn't hate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Attestant posted:

Would that get us space rats? Because I wouldn't hate that.

They would be Xenos and probably have a stupid weak codex, so you might hate it.

• Locked thread